Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd August 2016, 12:57   #76
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Review: Ford Ecosport EcoBoost 1.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeevan Sukumar View Post
I think I am slightly panned towards Ecosport Diesel.
Contrary to the good advice of others, I'm going to recommend you go for the diesel. My dad has a diesel EcoSport and I have the EcoBoost, so I'm able to offer some comparisons.
  • The diesel EcoSport offers better within-city driveability. On the other hand, the EcoBoost has a tall second gear, so at very slow speeds (like after crossing a speed breaker) you can't comfortably pull away in second and have to down-shift to first. This is not the case with the diesel, where you can move away in second. I presume that Trivandrum traffic is similar to that of most large cities in India, so the diesel will be better in such circumstances.
  • Both the EcoBoost and diesel have a noticeable boost threshold (incorrectly referred to as turbo lag), but the EcoBoost has a higher boost threshold, which is more annoying. The turbo kick doesn't come in until around 1600-1800 rpm, and combined with the taller gearing in 2nd and 3rd gears means that you'll have to keep downshifting more often to keep engine rpm above this threshold. Having driven up the ghats to Nilgiris, I can say that if you are forced to slow down significantly (e.g. behind a slow-moving lorry) or stop on ghat roads, the EcoBoost requires more effort than the diesel to get moving. The diesel has its peak torque at about 1750 rpm, but even lower than that it has very usable torque. Note that the 1.5 petrol will have no such problems at all since its naturally aspirated, but is otherwise a somewhat boring engine, so I'll leave it out of this comparison.
  • On the highway, the diesel is good and fast, and you can easily achieve and maintain triple-digit speeds. You won't have any complaints with the diesel, and it offers good fun to drive. However, the EcoBoost is better, and is much more fun on the highway - it accelerates faster than the diesel, and since it revs higher, it allows you to have more fun within a single gear.
  • Your running is low, and that is one reason to consider a petrol instead of diesel. However, bear in mind that the gap between EcoBoost and diesel is not too large, it is only about Rs. 40,000 (and is not as significant as the gap between the 1.5 petrol and diesel which is over Rs. 70,000). So, while you pay a premium for the diesel EcoSport, you also pay a premium for the EcoBoost, compared to the 1.5 petrol engine. And in terms of fuel costs, the diesel EcoSport will be cheaper to run since it offers good mileage even when driven hard. With the EcoBoost, the more fun you have, the worse mileage it gives.

I've written more about the EcoBoost performance and mileage in my ownership review, so take a look at that one too, to help you (or confuse you ). Also, look at the EcoSport review thread for more discussions of EcoBoost vs. diesel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeevan Sukumar View Post
Kindly advice me on the behavior of Ecosport Diesel on open highways. As I am currently owns a Fiesta, comparisons may please be made between the two.
The 1.5 diesel in the EcoSport is more powerful and more refined that the 1.4 diesel in the Fiesta you have. In all, it is a superior engine. Where the 1.4 diesel would feel underpowered on the highway, the 1.5 diesel doesn't have any such problems - it is powerful and comfortable on the highway.

Last edited by arunphilip : 3rd August 2016 at 13:09.
arunphilip is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2016, 13:34   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
Contrary to the good advice of others, I'm going to recommend you go for the diesel. My dad has a diesel EcoSport and I have the EcoBoost, so I'm able to offer some comparisons.
Arun, great comparo there. Just curious, which version of diesel does your dad have? 90HP or 99HP? Asking since I rarely come across detailed performance description of the new 99HP diesel in Ecosport.
Old 3rd August 2016, 13:47   #78
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theredliner View Post
Arun, great comparo there. Just curious, which version of diesel does your dad have? 90HP or 99HP? Asking since I rarely come across detailed performance description of the new 99HP diesel in Ecosport.
My dad has the 90 HP (i.e. older) diesel, not the newer and improved diesel.

People who've driven both have not found any significant difference, for example:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemant.kamat View Post
Drove the old & new TDCi Titanium trims back to back last Saturday at the dealership while my vehicle was being washed. I found no noticeable difference in the power & ride quality, on both internal & highway roads.
The new diesel has people ga-ga over it because its a scorcher in the significantly lighter Figo and Aspire (which weigh about 200 kg less than the EcoSport).
arunphilip is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2016, 15:16   #79
BHPian

With due respect to Mr. arjab and Mr. BB 311, wholehearted thanks to Mr. arunphilip for the efforts undertaken by him for clarifying all my doubts. Thank you all my dear friends. Keep the spirit....
Jeevan Sukumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2019, 21:43   #80
BHPian

My dad booked the Ecosport S Ecoboost yesterday. I took a test drive of the car as well and I was in love with the Ecoboost. Are there any long term reliability issues with the Ecoboost engine? Because its a turbo petrol I am a little concerned about the reliability of the Ecoboost. My dad intends to keep the car for the 1 Lakh kilometers.
Old 21st December 2019, 07:44   #81
BHPian

Just no issues. I have a Ecoboost model n have done 50k kms so far, out of which bulk is in hills of Leh and Tripura/Meghalaya.
Not a squeak and the car runs like new. Just do the services in time and enjoy the car . It’sa got to drive.
techfreak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2019, 08:35   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibanez_70 View Post
My dad booked the Ecosport S Ecoboost yesterday. I took a test drive of the car as well and I was in love with the Ecoboost. Are there any long term reliability issues with the Ecoboost engine? Because its a turbo petrol I am a little concerned about the reliability of the Ecoboost. My dad intends to keep the car for the 1 Lakh kilometers.
Haven't they stopped manufacturing the Ecoboost? Last time I enquired Ford for it, they said there are few old stocks up for grabs with heavy discounts but no new manufacturing in near future.

The engine is imported so may be the spare parts would be expensive and time consuming. But being a world ranked engine, there are only few issues with it. Low end is a drab but has strong mid range.

If I may ask, what was the on road price of the car you got and registered in which state?
Old 21st December 2019, 10:08   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAllstar View Post
Haven't they stopped manufacturing the Ecoboost? Last time I enquired Ford for it, they said there are few old stocks up for grabs with heavy discounts but no new manufacturing in near future.

The engine is imported so may be the spare parts would be expensive and time consuming. But being a world ranked engine, there are only few issues with it. Low end is a drab but has strong mid range.

If I may ask, what was the on road price of the car you got and registered in which state?
I don’t think Ford has stopped manufacturing the Ecoboost as of yet. Dad booked the red colour and according to the Sales Manager, production of the red colour itself is very less, thus would take time to be delivered. So I don’t think it would come from an old stock and manufacturing is still on.

On Road price in Guwahati (Assam) is Rs 12.16 Lakhs for the Ecoboost S variant. When BS6 kicks in they will discontinue the Ecoboost and will use Mahindra’s Turbo Petrol that would produce 130PS according to Autocar.

But being an award winning engine for 6 years now, I assumed it would be safe to go for the Ecoboost instead of a new Mahindra’s Turbo Petrol that would come in the S variant in future.
Old 22nd February 2023, 14:17   #84

I own a 2017 Ford Ecosport Ecoboost Trend Plus model and it recently completed 70K Kms. I thoroughly enjoy this car. I cant compare this with TDCI since I havent driven one. But for me It is fun driving this Little Engine especially on open roads . Hope to enjoy this car for two more years.Only headache is very pathetic to drive in bumper to bumper traffic as it overheats and I dont know whether it is normal to show 51 deg celsius ambient temperature during those times. Generally I prefer driving this small boy on highways.
Old 15th September 2023, 07:15   #85

Experts please advice.
My small boy completed 80K Kms this month and completed 6 Years fuss free ownership. Touch the wood and I request the experts advice based on Fords exit. Till now the service is as good as during the pre exit times. Should I retain the car or go for an extended warranty till 7th year. Please advice.
ecoboost Chenna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2023, 19:31   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecoboost Chenna View Post
Experts please advice.
My small boy completed 80K Kms this month and completed 6 Years fuss free ownership. Touch the wood and I request the experts advice based on Fords exit. Till now the service is as good as during the pre exit times. Should I retain the car or go for an extended warranty till 7th year. Please advice.
A new car will always be an expensive proposition than maintaining a old one, that too a Ford which has one of the cheapest maintenance cost. So unless you specifically want to upgrade to a flashier model or want more space / power, you can pretty well hold on to existing ride. This is applicable for any reliable car actually.
Samfromindia is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2023, 07:30   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samfromindia View Post
A new car will always be an expensive proposition than maintaining a old one, that too a Ford which has one of the cheapest maintenance cost. So unless you specifically want to upgrade to a flashier model or want more space / power, you can pretty well hold on to existing ride. This is applicable for any reliable car actually.
Thanks Sam san. I am worried about the turbo issues and lack knowledge about its expected designlife in actual conditions and to add lack of spares that may arise as this is an imported Engine. Correct me if I am wrong
Old 21st September 2023, 23:32   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecoboost Chenna View Post
Thanks Sam san. I am worried about the turbo issues and lack knowledge about its expected designlife in actual conditions and to add lack of spares that may arise as this is an imported Engine. Correct me if I am wrong
Unfortunately almost all friends / bhpians I know personally have the diesel Ecosport. Why dont you talk with the service center technician / SA about the parts availability of this engine in case similar issue happens.
Samfromindia is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2024, 14:15   #89

Ford Ecosport 1.0 Ecoboost Engines recalled in U.S. Link to the news article.
https://auto.hindustantimes.com/auto...128355520.html

I tried connecting with ford India and got a reply through mail saying that this is not applicable to India. The article says 2018-2022 Ecosport and 2016-2018 Focus have been affected by this issue. Anyone owning 2018 - 2022 Ford Ecosport Ecoboost can help us to know If there was a recall for this issue related to the Oil pump Belt pretensioner Arm.
Another Link to the news.
https://driving.ca/auto-news/driver-...coboost-engine

Ford is finally recalling a whole lot of Ford Ecosport and Focus models — more than 139,730 in the U.S., and another7164 in Canada — equipped with the company’s 1.0-litre EcoBoost engine. Following an investigation, Ford and the U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) found a fix for those Ford owners complaining about failed motors due to an oil system that clogs itself.

----

My smallboy Ecosport Ecoboost 90000KM update- I had to Finally change the clutch plate assembly during the cars 90K service. I had problems engaging with reverse gear more often and all other gears were normally engaging and prompted me to talk to the dealership. They recommended changing the clutch plate assembly. Experts kindly advice if this was a right call. (Sorry for posting it after change)

Last edited by vb-saan : 1st March 2024 at 15:56. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please use EDIT or QUOTE+ (multi-quote) button instead of typing one post after another. Thank you!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks