Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 4th August 2013, 10:47   #1
BHPian

Review: Ford Ecosport EcoBoost 1.0

Let me start with an apology for posting this thread just too late after I brought home my car.
However, better late than never, here it is.

I know by now almost all points are covered and discussed elsewhere, but I will put my review anyway.

Let me start with quick likes and dislikes:

Looks.
Good ride and handling.
Peppy engine, very good acceleration.
Equipment in Titanium including the Sync.
Good brakes.

Dislikes:

Not a great gear box.
Gear ratios could have been better, requires too much downshifting.
Too sensitive steering.
Tyres are not great (Goodyear). This car does deserve better ones.

I took my car from Lathangi Ford. Booking experience at Lathangi Ford was good. I was neither expecting the car to arrive in a week's time of my booking nor was I prepared to take it.
But eventually heart ruled over the head and I took my allotment.
Overall had good experience with Lathangi. However, on the delivery day I felt the executive who was giving me demo was learning the Sync along with me. I told him to skip it, I'd learn it on my own.

Build quality:
The build quality is really good. Doors are heavy and require effort to shut. Like many have said, you cannot be closing it too often in just one go. But once they shut, they do entail a lot of sense of sturdiness. You will feel good.
Interior quality is all acceptable. However, compared to a new Fiesta, some plastics are compromised on their quality. They appear to be more shiny in the Ecosport.

Dashboard equipment
The dashboard is nicely laid out and is full of controls. The highlight clearly is the Sync.
Sync does its job fairly accurately. I use a Windows Phone and it works really well with it.
But if you are in a hurry and want to do a lot of stuff over it, you might feel clumsy with Sync. (This might get better with time)
And I feel some options, to play an artist for example, is unavailable on Bluetooth audio.
The start-stop button is convenient but if you turn off ignition you lose the Bluetooth connection, although the display stays alive.
The display system is very much like legacy Nokia phones but you will be not complaining about it because it also means it is simple. (Where you have simple buttons mapped to positions in the display)
But I figured out a major problem. If at signals, if you turn off the car, your music system will also be turned off. You will be required to press the Start/Stop button again to bring vehicle to ignition to start the music again.

Air conditioning
Aircon is really good but takes some getting used to for its controls. If you make the vehicle stand in sun and start the aircon in Auto mode, it starts at full speed making lot of noise. I tend to get irritated by it.
Also air intake is from outside by default. (I did not like this setting)

Seats and its controls
I loved the front seats. Although they are small, they feel just adequate. Comfort is really magical.
Titanium gets lumbar support adjustment for driver's seat.
The rear seat is a lot reclined. The cushion is a bit hard and feels more so because the rear seat is flatter compared to the front.
The split and fold comes in handy as well.

The engine and gear box
The best part of this car is the enthusiastic engine it has.
Engine is great to drive, but in city conditions, for someone who is used to classic petrol engines, downshifting is real pain.
Wonder they could have done something with gear ratios to avoid downshifting.
But I think I am getting used to it and falling in love with the engine.
Except the downshifting part, it is beautiful in other respects.
Its acceleration is really good. Pulls cleanly in all gears (esp 3rd) and love the turbo whistle. (Someone said there is no whistle, but there is)
After 2k RPM, power is really good.
Gear box feels a bit arbitrary for its class although no big complaints. Could have gotten more slicker. Sometimes I could not engage the first gear very easily, it'd require to engage it again starting from neutral.
Also if you pull up your seat a little backwards, you might run a risk of not pressing the clutch completely. The clutch play area is small compared to other cars and you need to be careful about pressing it completely.

Ride and handling, and steering
Ride is O.K but not comparable to say a Swift. But the commanding driving position makes it really enjoyable to drive.
Highway driving is real pleasure. Inspires a lot of confidence during high speeds and cornering.
Feels very planted (because of weight?) and very stable at high speeds.
Handling is really good. I cannot believe someone can topple this car easily (even if the rumors of it are actually true)
I think the pull drift compensation really plays its part because I felt the car got straightened in a corner where I was speeding and had to apply brakes suddenly. Even otherwise steering is very sensitive. Or may be I am not used to it. A slight slide will make vehicle move quite swiftly even at high speeds. I would have wished for some tolerance on highway.
Brakes are very good, although they make a frictional noise at very slow speed (if you apply at almost zero speed)

Fuel Efficiency
Yet to check exact FE (tank to tank). Having very less time with my car to even discover its features. I will update this soon, but I see fuel meter showing 12.1 in the city. Have driven about 500 KMS until now. Most of it was on highway.
But I think it should be around 11-12 in the city which I will be happy with.

Other bits
>The EcoBoost engine thrum is really sweet to hear. It has subtle whistle as you accelerate and the same time generates the power. You will be tempted to push it harder and it does take your command well. The engine is really free and peppy.

>The boot door is managed by a hydraulic hinge and if you are slightly standing on a slop backwards, it swings out quite fast.

>The music system is good quality.

>There is a lot of wind noise at high speeds. But equally a lot is the noise insulation capacity of the cabin. It is really exceptional.

>The gap between the clutch and foot rest is small. I have seen it often that my shoe does not flow easily between the two.

>While getting out, you often tend to rub your foot against the door pocket, which takes all the dust/mud from your shoe.

Posting some pictures. More pictures awaited because I am not good with camera and I have requested fellow member blue_pulsar to get me some.

Review: Ford Ecosport EcoBoost 1.0-img_3192.jpg
Looks bigger than it actually is, if you look only from front.

Review: Ford Ecosport EcoBoost 1.0-img_3193.jpg
Rear view
Review: Ford Ecosport EcoBoost 1.0-img_3194.jpg
Rear view
Review: Ford Ecosport EcoBoost 1.0-img_3197.jpg
There were discussions that the gear housing gets scratched. I think that is got to do with your height. I am 5-8 and I do not see any problems really.

Review: Ford Ecosport EcoBoost 1.0-img_3200.jpg
My Aviator glassed are not held well. This is was the best position I could arrive at but even here, it keeps falling off.
Review: Ford Ecosport EcoBoost 1.0-wp_001277.jpg
Review: Ford Ecosport EcoBoost 1.0-wp_001280.jpg

Last edited by noopster : 5th August 2013 at 17:45. Reason: High-speed reference removed
penpavan is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 4th August 2013, 19:35   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Review: Ford Ecosport EcoBoost 1.0

Thread moved from Assembly Line to Initial Ownership Reviews section. Thanks for sharing!
Old 4th August 2013, 19:43   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by penpavan View Post
Let me start with an apology for posting this thread just too late after I brought home my car.
However, better late than never, here it is.
Congrats buddy welcome to the EcoSport family
Enjoy the ride !!!
Old 4th August 2013, 19:45   #4
BHPian

Welcome to the Ecosport Ecoboost family. The car looks really nice in the wilderness!

The turbo-lag and the light steering aren't serious problems. They will not bother you for long, you just need to get used to it.

Congratulations and happy motoring.
Old 5th August 2013, 02:40   #5
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations penpavan,

White is one of my favourite colours in ecosport.

Suggested list of accessories.

1.front and rear appliques.
2.engine guard.
3.Front sensors.
4.reverse camera
5.cross bars
Old 5th August 2013, 09:42   #6
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on the new car!

Quote:
Originally Posted by penpavan View Post
I think the pull drift compensation really plays its part because I felt the car got straightened in a corner where I was speeding and had to apply brakes suddenly.
Did the steering get straightened in the corner even when you were holding the steering? Or did you let it somewhat loose? May be it was a self centering tendency like in all cars? Otherwise it is strange and scary.
Old 5th August 2013, 09:47   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Congratulations on the new car!

Did the steering get straightened in the corner even when you were holding the steering? Or did you let it somewhat loose? May be it was a self centering tendency like in all cars? Otherwise it is strange and scary.
Not sure. I was holding the steering. How firm I don't remember. I will see if such a thing happens again.
Old 5th August 2013, 10:04   #8
Senior - BHPian

The second Ecoboost on the forum. Congratulations.

Looks sharp in the white shade. I don't see the need for any accessories with this variant, but the reverse camera.

Drive safe.
Old 5th August 2013, 10:19   #9
Senior - BHPian

Many many congratulations on the car and wishing you the best!!
Old 5th August 2013, 13:02   #10
Senior - BHPian

Penpavan : Many congratulations for the EcoSport.
Wish you many happy miles with the car and enjoy the ride.
Old 5th August 2013, 13:05   #11
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on the EcoBoost. Request you to update the ownership thread as frequently as meaningful/possible. I'll keep an eye here for fuel efficiency reports (as otherwise, I'm convinced of the engine if I select this car).

Thanks and wishing you unlimited worry-free kms on the EcoSport.
k_ajay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2013, 13:13   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9thsphinx View Post
The second Ecoboost on the forum. Congratulations.

Drive safe.
Third ecoboost . I got mine on sat. Posted pics in official review . Mars red colour.

Congrats Penpavan . Wishing you happy motoring. My friend is getting 15 kms/lit in city drive. Let us see how much mileage we can achieve.
Old 5th August 2013, 13:36   #13
BHPian

Many congratulations penpavan
White color looks gorgeous.

Wish you many happy miles with your new ride.
Drive safe.
Old 5th August 2013, 13:41   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats dude. Now am eagerly waiting for mine. Seems many members took delivery in the past week or so. Do keep the thread updated with your experience.
Old 5th August 2013, 14:34   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Congrats dude. Now am eagerly waiting for mine. Seems many members took delivery in the past week or so. Do keep the thread updated with your experience.
Hi Naveen, actually I had taken delivery on 22nd July, but was short on time for a review.
penpavan is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed