Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 27th September 2013, 14:34   #76
Senior - BHPian

re: Stormed and How! Tata Safari Storme LX Review. EDIT: Sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Does the middle row have sliding feature or did you fold the seats up? In some ways with kids, I think this is a better option than the front facing third row. You can just fold the middle row up and make place for them to sleep.

Nope middle row does not have a sliding feature. and yes, if you are not expecting to have 5+ people travelling without much luggage for extended periods, the side facing seats are quite good to just fold back and create a "flat bed "
Old 27th September 2013, 14:48   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
Purchased the Gold AMC package for 4 yrs/40000kms for around Rs19500 yesterday. My though process behind buying this was that

1) approx cost of a oil change service is around Rs7500-8000
2) If I assume a running of around 10-12k per annum, first oil service is at 1 yr/15000 and 2nd one at 2 yr/30000. hence i will get 4 free oil services by way of age of my vehicle under this AMC which would have costed me Rs 30000
3) Apart from this I can get various wear and tear parts like brake shoes and suspension parts changed as well

I think its a good deal.
7500-8000 rs for Storme? Synthetic?

Its usually 2500-3000rs max for Safari .
Old 29th September 2013, 19:13   #78
Senior - BHPian

Almost 2 months passed and still no scratches - so I thought when a 2 wheeler juts in from the left when I'm just about to start off from the signal. He then started blaming me for that. In a fit of rage, got out and was about to exchange blows and then better sense prevailed. Moved on home and checked the damages. Multiple small scratches on the cladding and 1 long one on the rear door. Used a rubbing compound a few times and thanks to the silver colour, its now visible from up close only. Damn !
Old 16th October 2013, 10:03   #79
Senior - BHPian

Did a weekend trip to take the beast into the 2nd service territory. All well so far except for an irritating squeak from the driver side seat belt mounting point - as if a few squirrels live there and give out a shriek every time I am moving around in the driver seat as I drive. Need to get it fixed during the 2nd service.

Some photos from the trip. I continue to love the rear end of the Storme all though the front looks is growing on me. Would have loved a slightly taller bonnet though.
Attached Thumbnails
Stormed and How! Tata Safari Storme LX Review. EDIT: Sold!-img_1727.jpg  

Stormed and How! Tata Safari Storme LX Review. EDIT: Sold!-img_1735.jpg  

Stormed and How! Tata Safari Storme LX Review. EDIT: Sold!-img_1736.jpg  

Stormed and How! Tata Safari Storme LX Review. EDIT: Sold!-img_1738.jpg  

Stormed and How! Tata Safari Storme LX Review. EDIT: Sold!-img_20131014_180423.jpg  

Stormed and How! Tata Safari Storme LX Review. EDIT: Sold!-img_20131002_160322.jpg  

Stormed and How! Tata Safari Storme LX Review. EDIT: Sold!-img_20131014_180613.jpg  

narayan is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 16th October 2013, 10:07   #80
Senior - BHPian

FE for this trip was 15+. The sweet spot for getting the best FE seems to be 90-100kmph at which time I think one should be able to eke out about 16.5-17kmpl in a well run in vehicle
narayan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2013, 11:07   #81
Distinguished - BHPian

agreed - the sweet spot for the FE conscious would be around 90 kph.
But how long can you maintain that ? :P
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2013, 12:24   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
agreed - the sweet spot for the FE conscious would be around 90 kph.
But how long can you maintain that ? :P
What is the sweet spot for the heavy foots who are also mileage conscious?

P.S. One sardarji friend of mine who has a lifetime of driving various jeeps (and tractors) under his belt, told me that I am not driving the Safari like a diesel should be driven.

He suggested changing up at max 2000 rpm (and not the 2.5, sometimes 3K I do) for best mileage and engine life. He said the oil gets black quicker if you keep pulling a diesel to higher rpm's (regardless of what the company set redline is).

Last edited by ebonho : 16th October 2013 at 12:28.
ebonho is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 16th October 2013, 12:57   #83
Senior - BHPian

Apart from the impact on FE, middle row passengers have also complained of motion sickness if I keep hitting 120-130 and have to constantly change lanes or slow down for slow moving traffic in the right most lane. It was much better if I maintain 100 and don't do quick maneuvers
Old 16th October 2013, 13:17   #84
Senior - BHPian

I'm usually driving at 130-140 anyways on the Expressway. Its pretty effortless in the Storme. But yes, in that mode, the mileage then is just a tad over 10 kmpl.
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2013, 16:26   #85
BANNED

Quote:
middle row passengers have also complained of motion sickness if I keep hitting 120-130 and have to constantly change lanes or slow down for slow moving traffic in the right most lane.
Motion sickness in the Safari?? Now that is totally new.
Old 16th October 2013, 18:50   #86
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narayan
middle row passengers have also complained of motion sickness if I keep hitting 120-130 and have to constantly change lanes or slow down for slow moving traffic in the right most lane.
Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Motion sickness in the Safari?? Now that is totally new.
Agree with Devdath.
Narayan, I seriously suspect your lane & speed changes are abrupt. You are possibly driving harshly.
Old 16th October 2013, 19:49   #87
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Apart from the impact on FE, middle row passengers have also complained of motion sickness if I keep hitting 120-130 and have to constantly change lanes or slow down for slow moving traffic in the right most lane. It was much better if I maintain 100 and don't do quick maneuvers

Boss. Putting it plainly, in a tall, top heavy, lumbering and ponderous vehicle like yours, you are attempting to defy the laws of physics by harsh, quick and sudden maneuvers of this kind.
Suggest you cool off your speeds because for one thing, 120-130 kmph is NOT a recommended speed in India, for comfort, safety and as per the rules! Importantly, that vehicle of yours is simply too dangerous at speeds above a 110kmph.
I used to find in my Scorpio that the optimum speed was 100-110kmph for comfort, safety and fuel efficiency as well. It cant be far different in a Safari or Storme or similar.
shankar.balan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th October 2013, 20:21   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Your comment indicates over speeding and rash driving. I sincerely hope that we restrain ourselves from promoting traffic violations on a public forum.
Old 16th October 2013, 20:42   #89
BHPian

Motion sickness is a new term for Safari & Storme. None of the passengers have ever complained about that on the road/bad patches or off the road.
Although I also cruise at around 100-110, but storme is comfortable doing more and is very much sure footed and stable. That said, I agree we must respect laws and safety.
Old 16th October 2013, 20:56   #90
Senior - BHPian

Guys - thanks for all the messages on safety - fully respect that. Although I don't drive rashly I think I have to come out of my "car like" driving style.

Most Viewed