Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th October 2013, 22:32   #91
BHPian

re: Stormed and How! Tata Safari Storme LX Review. EDIT: Sold!

Those are some amazing pictures of the Storme, you've got there! The front looks great in the 3rd pic from the top against the flowery foreground.

I am still running in the engine, so have never crossed 100 in my Storme yet, but even after run-in, I think I'll not cross 120 on the best laid highways. The very thought of an emergency maneuver on a 2 tonner hurling at such high speeds gives me the shivers.
Old 17th October 2013, 11:12   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
Apart from the impact on FE, middle row passengers have also complained of motion sickness if I keep hitting 120-130 and have to constantly change lanes or slow down for slow moving traffic in the right most lane. It was much better if I maintain 100 and don't do quick maneuvers
Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Agree with Devdath.
Narayan, I seriously suspect your lane & speed changes are abrupt. You are possibly driving harshly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormerider View Post
Motion sickness is a new term for Safari & Storme. None of the passengers have ever complained about that on the road/bad patches or off the road.
Although I also cruise at around 100-110, but storme is comfortable doing more and is very much sure footed and stable. That said, I agree we must respect laws and safety.
Apart from magnitude of motion, motion sickness is highly person-dependent. The few who are more sensitive will get it even in a sedan (or any other car for that matter) on highways. Though the higher sway and pitching of a vehicle like Storme are biggest enemies from this viewpoint, Storme's upright sitting posture is a big plus !
On a different note, while some folks rely on medicines like Avomine to avoid this; I prefer travelling with light stomach & keeping dry ginger ready (works like miracle under such condition) whenever on a long trip!
YGarg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2013, 13:24   #93
BHPian

congrats on your new buy , wishing you a long and hassle free ownership driving experience with TATA , hope STORM serves you and your family for times to come
behaln is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2013, 13:28   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post

P.S. One sardarji friend of mine who has a lifetime of driving various jeeps (and tractors) under his belt, told me that I am not driving the Safari like a diesel should be driven.

He suggested changing up at max 2000 rpm (and not the 2.5, sometimes 3K I do) for best mileage and engine life. He said the oil gets black quicker if you keep pulling a diesel to higher rpm's (regardless of what the company set redline is).
Your friend is right. The bigger diesels are not rev happy and its best to keep the engine rpm in a band where you still get the turbo for that added torque while not stressing beyond the comfort zones. I used to stick to gear shifts between 2000-2500 rpm depending on the traffic conditions. In busy traffic, shifting at 2k rpm will mean a lot of gear shifts and hence you can choose to hold it in a gear for a little longer. But otherwise, I'd stick to 2000-2200 rpms for upshifting.

Mileage will improve if you keep rpms and speeds in the sweet spot. Extensive use between 2.5-3k rpms or speeds above 120kph will mean a drop in mileage. I'm not a light-footed driver, but I'm not one of those sprinters either. With my Safari, 120kph cruising speeds used to give me about 10kmpl but anything beyond meant 9kmpl or under. And these speeds I'm talking are on express ways and not smaller highways and/or city roads.

If you do 80kph on city roads then expect lower mileage because of constant braking/acceleration. Honestly, I've never really used the 5th gear of the Safari while driving in the city, mostly it's been the 3rd gear that did 60kph quite easily - it used to give me about 9.5kmpl in the city regularly. The Storme has better numbers than the Safari so you can expect more.

Quote:
Guys - thanks for all the messages on safety - fully respect that. Although I don't drive rashly I think I have to come out of my "car like" driving style.
I'm with you, it may not be rash driving but just getting adjusted on how to move lanes at high speeds with a tall SUV. The body roll in the Safari is much lesser when compared to some of the other SUVs and the passengers shouldn't be thrown around that easily. I've driven the Safari extensively and have never had anyone complain about body roll on lane shifts or braking. The secret lies in how much steering input you provide and how progressively you brake when stopping the car from high speeds. Remember, I'm not talking about emergency braking where you have to jam your brakes, but general anticipated braking from high speeds to a halt - like at a signal which turns red on a highway as you approach it.

If you swerve the car too much, there's no way you can prevent body roll. Practice lane changes that are seamless, even if that means you have to accelerate a bit to make the transition quicker rather than increasing the steering input. Similarly, while braking, keep a gentle foot on the pedal and keep applying uniformly increasing pressure to reduce the speeds. Supplement the braking with some engine braking by shifting to a lower gear and the right combination would mean you come to a stop without throwing everybody off their seat and without nose-diving the front. The Storme brakes are really good as compared to the Safari and should give you a much better control with ABS+EBD, although don't keep pushing for the system to activate ABS all the time.

Last edited by amolpol : 17th October 2013 at 13:40.
amolpol is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th October 2013, 14:01   #95
Senior - BHPian

@amolpol thank you for the great inputs bro. Appreciate the help and advice from all Safari veterans here. I too am a sporty sedan to SUV convert.

I will try mileage over one to and from Expressway run keeping the giant between 100-120 kmph and changing at lower rpm's and letting the speed build up more gradually.

Basically move to a beach way of life!

Last edited by ebonho : 17th October 2013 at 14:03.
Old 20th October 2013, 12:52   #96
BHPian

Quote:
FE for this trip was 15+. The sweet spot for getting the best FE seems to be 90-100kmph at which time I think one should be able to eke out about 16.5-17kmpl in a well run in vehicle
The pictures look very very good. Have to stay, TATA have done a very neat job with the STORME, infact she is better than the oldie in many ways. Butch look. Silver color looks splendid.

15kmpl is extra ordinary for the beast to begin with. The oldie is giving me 12-13kmpl, now at 93000 on the ODO.

STORME IS IMPRESSIVE.
verditer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2013, 23:52   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by verditer View Post
The pictures look very very good. Have to stay, TATA have done a very neat job with the STORME, infact she is better than the oldie in many ways. Butch look. Silver color looks splendid.

15kmpl is extra ordinary for the beast to begin with. The oldie is giving me 12-13kmpl, now at 93000 on the ODO.

STORME IS IMPRESSIVE.
Verditer - your mileage in such a short span of ownership amazes me. So are you planning to sell of the Dicor and go for the Storme soon ?

While you are correct in saying the Storme is far better than the Dicor in many ways, for the time they took, they could have ironed out many other things also - but nevertheless a very good option for people who like understated elegance and dont mind missing out on many of the features that many modern cars come with
Old 21st October 2013, 10:20   #98
BHPian

Narayan - my daily office commute from Hosur to Whitefield of 40kms each way is contributing to the high mileage. But I'm happy with her, as I know I would not be able to do this without a Safari, and each day I return home with the least of fatigue/tiredness.
I attribute it to the Safari's build, speed and road presence.

With current going, she is no mood to let up, and I cannot afford another car right now. May be around 1.5 Lakhs or 2 Lakhs I might think of another car.
And yes, it will be a STORME when the day comes, for sure.

Forget comparing with modern cars. Safari is safari in all her glory. Niggles are there to keep you in touch with her. Enjoy them. :-)
verditer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st October 2013, 11:13   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by verditer View Post
Forget comparing with modern cars. Safari is safari in all her glory. Niggles are there to keep you in touch with her. Enjoy them. :-)
"Heart has its Reasons, that Reason knows not of !"
YGarg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th November 2013, 13:59   #100
Senior - BHPian

2nd service update

Got the 2nd service done betweeen yesterday and today. Odo at 5554kms in 3 months.

Issues reported:
1) Creaking sound from driver side seat belt mounting point - apparantely lubricated and cant hear the sound for now but SA said it might come up again !
2) At full steering lock while taking tight U-Turns, there is a mettallic bursting sound - SA told me this is common right from the old Dicor days. Wheel stopper bolt was changed. Yet to check if the sound has gone but hoping its addressed
3) Steering vibrations above 110kmph ( despite having done balancing at a reputed outlet ). Slight pull to left. - Balancing and alignment done again at TASS. Need to take the beast for a long drive and recheck if this problem is solved.

Cost of service - Rs128.( weights used for balancing )

The beast is performing satisfactorily so far. Planning a 1500km trip next month.
Old 6th November 2013, 14:20   #101
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: 2nd service update

Quote:
Slight pull to left. - Balancing and alignment done again at TASS. Need to take the beast for a long drive and recheck if this problem is solved.
IMO This vehicle is so sensitive to the gradient of the road. If the road slopes to the right, the veh will go to the right.
Old 6th November 2013, 16:11   #102
BHPian

Hi Condor/Narayan...i actually tried letting go of the steering when the slope is to the right side...unfortunately it does not pull to the right at such times :-(
Old 6th November 2013, 17:10   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesA View Post
Hi Condor/Narayan...i actually tried letting go of the steering when the slope is to the right side...unfortunately it does not pull to the right at such times :-(
Charles - so you are still having the left pulling issue unresolved ? Didnt they replace the steering box in your beast ?
Old 11th November 2013, 22:08   #104
Senior - BHPian

Problems 1 and 2 are back ! Will know about 3 only when I take her to the highways. Is pt 2 above a serious issue ? I don't mind living with it as long as someone can confirm it doesn't affect the vehicle in any way. Also despite brakes being serviced the squeaking sound under braking has reappeared. I hope this is due to prolonged usage in the city resulting in brake dust build up ? But shouldn't the brake service taken care of this ?
Old 12th November 2013, 14:35   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Is pt 2 above a serious issue ? I don't mind living with it as long as someone can confirm it doesn't affect the vehicle in any way.
From your description it seems that something gets stressed (as you turn the wheel) and then releases suddenly, making the sound. It can be something more than trivial, so get it thoroughly checked. Anybody else experienced the same?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks