Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2014, 19:37   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Got stopped for these lights in Noida, at GIP.
They said these are not allowed, while umpteen number of vehicles with aftermarket hids were swinging by.
I said Tucson comes with these only, and you can check when the next one comes by.

A fifteen minute wait resulted in zero, er, results. So, can anyone throw some light, more light perhaps, on as to since when have Noida police been so proactive?
Old 17th January 2015, 00:51   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Some hvac knowledgeable people can help here.
The cars heater does not work. I get little little hot air if the fan only is switched on after the engine warms up. With AC, and knob turned all the way into the red, no hot air at all. Admirable quality in a human, not so great with a heater.
This left me with 4 very chilled adults commuting from Delhi to lansdowne, cold to colder.
The whole route was filled with one of the sleeping guys waking up when I tried to demist the front glass, " khidki kyon kholi, @#$@@$#!!!"

The mechanic says some valve has been shut, either on purpose, or by way of developing a fault, which restricts coolant reaching the coil.
I remember when the coil was leaking in the fiesta, there was an option of putting a U shaped hose so that no coolant reached the coil.
Don't know about this valve, though I have no reason to not believe my mechanic.
Old 17th January 2015, 02:16   #48
BHPian

Re: Pre-owned Hyundai Tucson: The initiation of Ms. Tooky-san

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Got stopped for these lights in Noida, at GIP.
They said these are not allowed
I can't believe that this happened. I'm running 3 extra pairs of AUX lights(6 in total) and I haven't been stopped once. As far as I know the rule, you cannot have any AUX light above the level of the headlight of the car. Like you cannot have them on the roof. What happened finally? Did they let you go?
Old 17th January 2015, 05:52   #49
Senior - BHPian

Sirji, you need to get a newer headlamp glass casing. These look totally worn out blackish.
A new clear lens case will give you better output with stock bulbs.

One more thing - Please get those plastic cladding painted matte black. As of now, it just kills the look of the Typhoon.
Soumyajit9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2015, 09:13   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samar117 View Post

I can't believe that this happened. I'm running 3 extra pairs of AUX lights(6 in total) and I haven't been stopped once. As far as I know the rule, you cannot have any AUX light above the level of the headlight of the car. Like you cannot have them on the roof. What happened finally? Did they let you go?
Well, they probably realize you're an, er, adventurous sort of fella?
You're right about the height, it's gotta be below the headlamp level. But, these are clearly aftermarket, non factory, so, I don't know, maybe the Noida cops thought it could be a good way to make some money. Who knows what happens why in Noida. And yes, I did get away after some time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
Sirji, you need to get a newer headlamp glass casing. These look totally worn out blackish.
A new clear lens case will give you better output with stock bulbs.

One more thing - Please get those plastic cladding painted matte black. As of now, it just kills the look of the Typhoon.
Blackish? Where?
I never even realized. And I was just going through sotiganj 4 days back!

The cladding is stock, and was repainted a few months ago, to stock. I think black, in India at least, would make it look like the " base " model. . I'll ask one of my guys who know PS to render, then I'll see.

Last edited by mayankk : 17th January 2015 at 09:34.
Old 22nd January 2015, 11:58   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

I am not an expert on HVAC or for that matter on anything :-), one curious question - why don't you have the Hyundai Service Center take a look?
anandpadhye is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2015, 23:36   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
I am not an expert on HVAC or for that matter on anything :-), one curious question - why don't you have the Hyundai Service Center take a look?
I typically keep ASC as the last resort.
I'll try them this time, maybe.
Old 27th June 2015, 23:16   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Lightning crashes. :(

I had been facing occasional misfires for the past few days, and decided to take her to the mechanic today. To replicate, we went on a test drive, and when he got in the car, I told him to build the revs. Soon as he did, there was a god awful clatter, and he turned the car off immediately.
The timing was completely off, and further inspection turned up a bent valve.
Headwork required.

Raj, the mechanic, is saying that he'll replace all the valves, and since it's the engine, and not the gearbox, it's an easy enough part to get.
I'm not one to skimp, but neither am I trump, so just wanted to ask the knowledgeable folks, that is it necessary to change all 16?and do you even get valves in sets of 1/4/16, as required?

All in all, she's out of commission for the next 3 days.

I sad.
mayankk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2015, 23:04   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

So overhaul being done. One piston has gone too. The valve bent while making a nice impression of it's face in the piston, about 5mm deep. And there was a trace of back compression last service. So, going ahead with that. (as if there was a choice.)

Would really appreciate a ballpark on this from someone, even if it's for an elantra. Same heart.
Old 29th June 2015, 00:01   #55
BHPian

Quote:
So overhaul being done. One piston has gone too. The valve bent while making a nice impression of it's face in the piston, about 5mm deep. And there was a trace of back compression last service. So, going ahead with that. (as if there was a choice.)

Would really appreciate a ballpark on this from someone, even if it's for an elantra. Same heart.
Sorry about the damage. Are u going for 1st upsize or re-sleeving?
I guess yours is the first rebuild as far as i know. Please keep us posted.
I'm sure she will be back to full glory after this rebuild.
Old 29th June 2015, 09:35   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by K a s h View Post
Sorry about the damage. Are u going for 1st upsize or re-sleeving?
I guess yours is the first rebuild as far as i know. Please keep us posted.
I'm sure she will be back to full glory after this rebuild.
No fun being first here.
Upsizing?
That's very tempting, but will the block accept stock parts post this? Right now the only consolation is that the engine parts are more easy to procure. Guidance, please?
The fiesta's engine was rebuilt, and she got a new lower half, pistons etc. She practically runs like new now. That was a resleeve. So that's the extent of my exposure. Would really appreciate inputs on this, as well as the other bits, like should all the valves and pistons be changed, keeping in might that shoestrings are tight and belts are buckled a notch , for car based expenses.

Also, what all should I have the mechanic fix while the open heart is going on?
I really want him to fix the clatter, if that is something that's within reach now.
I want the post build tooky to be reliable like hell, since its my boy's car.

Last edited by mayankk : 29th June 2015 at 09:38.
Old 29th June 2015, 12:59   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

The estimate is in, and as is usual with July, its the month to forego small luxuries.
Like water, electricity, food, etc.

The adage of buying a used car in a segment higher strikes. Car may be cheap, but at the end of the day, it IS a 14L plus vehicle, no?
All pistons, valves, seals, timing bearing(?), belt, water pump(which has somehow leaked), comes in to 50k estimated, after loyalty bonus.
And the insurance expires this month.
For both the cars!!!!
Sone pe suhaaga!

Still awaiting advice on whether to go for replacing only damaged parts, or the whole thing? Mech says put money this one time only, and itll be well for years. And yes, I do plan to keep the car long term.
Old 29th June 2015, 14:26   #58
BHPian

Quote:
All pistons, valves, seals, timing bearing(?), belt, water pump(which has somehow leaked), comes in to 50k estimated, after loyalty bonus.
Since you are anyway changing the pistons, why not go for an upsize? If you had access to a place that can do precision work on blocks, I would recommend you to go the upsize route. That way you don't have to re-sleeve. Just bore the existing block to the upsize. All other parts remains the same.

Quote:
Mech says put money this one time only, and it'll be well for years. And yes, I do plan to keep the car long term.
I agree. Inspect all parts and decide if it will last another 1 lac kms.
K a s h is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th June 2015, 17:42   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

Unfortunately, I don't have access to a person or workshop capable of upsize. Resleeve and replace pistons and valves.
The 4x4 is also out so he is disassembling and reassembling that as well. I'm hoping for a quiet and fast car. The overhaul on the fiesta reinvented her, and I want the same here.
Here's a picture of the block. That carbon is crazy!! The right most piston was impacted.
Attached Thumbnails
Pre-owned Hyundai Tucson: The initiation of Ms. Tooky-san-forumrunner_20150629_174152.png  

mayankk is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2015, 21:37   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

There is a fizz to this. Definitely.
Attached Thumbnails
Pre-owned Hyundai Tucson: The initiation of Ms. Tooky-san-forumrunner_20150702_213633.png  

Pre-owned Hyundai Tucson: The initiation of Ms. Tooky-san-forumrunner_20150702_213652.png  

Pre-owned Hyundai Tucson: The initiation of Ms. Tooky-san-forumrunner_20150702_213645.png  

mayankk is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks