Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st September 2013, 14:24   #31
BHPian

Re: VW Polo GT TSI - Officially Unofficial Review and Initial Ownership Report

Quote:
Originally Posted by prithwi-81 View Post
Parts are sourced from www.vagtune.in, Prices are on their website. Install was done at Autopsyche in Gurgaon.
Hi Prithwi,

The speedometer on MFD cluster on vagtune seems to be in mph, at least the non-blue needle version, and can't seem to see the speedometer clearly on the blue needle pic. The fuel efficiency numbers are in mpgs as well.

Could you confirm this, if you already have them installed? If so, it looks like they may have sourced them from UK, we probably should get the same kit for ours from germany or elsewhere?
Old 1st September 2013, 20:31   #32
BHPian

Congrats on acquiring this red beauty! I had test driven the car a couple of months ago on the lovely airport stretch in Hyderabad. The car felt really quick without much drama. I could hardly feel the gearshifts, even in tiptronic mode. I will second your opinion on the steering. It felt slightly disconnected from the drive. Never the less, this is one nice to drive car.

Automatics like these, I feel, would make drivers more relaxed and more considerate. Therefore improving road manners. This car is sadly too expensive to fit the bill though. I hope car makers one day see the light.

I always loved the way polo looks, especially in red. The build quality and the quality of interiors sets it apart from the rest of the hatchback pack. I nearly bought the car, but the car lease policy deterred me from buying one. I eventually ended up buying a second hand octavia VRS.
Old 1st September 2013, 23:55   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shefiu View Post

Hi Prithwi,

The speedometer on MFD cluster on vagtune seems to be in mph, at least the non-blue needle version, and can't seem to see the speedometer clearly on the blue needle pic. The fuel efficiency numbers are in mpgs as well.

Could you confirm this, if you already have them installed? If so, it looks like they may have sourced them from UK, we probably should get the same kit for ours from germany or elsewhere?
All clusters supplied will be in kmph. The mph clusters are only illustrative pics. My cluster with blue needles is in kmph.

The suspension settings are nice. Very neutral handling car, although I did get it to slide its tail out(scary) but esp kicked in and sorted it out. Esp is very handy in this car. Push it in a corner and u will feel the xds doing its work trying to keep you in line. Brilliant system for fwd cars.

More on the suspension- The factory settings are for the car to handle neutrally. The rear setup is fixed and cannot be changed. This is good as there is no particular reason you would want to play with the rear setup in such a short wheelbase fwd car. You can lower it, but camber remains zero. The front camber cannot be adjusted either. Lowering it will add some negative camber which should do the job. Wider tires do make the car handle a lot better. Rear sway bar on this wilk honestly be a bit of an over kill, but I wish they had made the springs and dampers a bit stiffer.. its just gets too bouncy with rebound kicking in mid way.

Have put nearly 900kms on it and loving it. Paddle shifters make it so much more amusing and responsive. In D mode the car prefers feul economy, and drives two gears higher than you need to be in order to overtakem so a quick double tap on the -ve paddle and you shoot forward. In S mode the car drives a gear lower than it needs to be in, good for short bursts but no point for long drives.

Note- DSG should ideally be put in N, when your stopped in traffic. Saves the wear and the mechanotronic problems, and also keeps the box temps down.
prithwi-81 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2013, 00:24   #34
BHPian

Quote:
All clusters supplied will be in kmph. The mph clusters are only illustrative pics. My cluster with blue needles is in kmph.

Note- DSG should ideally be put in N, when your stopped in traffic. Saves the wear and the mechanotronic problems, and also keeps the box temps down.
Thanks for that, would ove to see more pix of the interior!

I believe with most cars, whether AT or MT its always best to keep in neutral when idle or at the signals. In the case of ATs you're unnecessarily adding pressure to the brakes (however slight) as well.

Enjoy the car, I'm really envious!
shefiu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2013, 22:00   #35
BHPian

205/50/R15 sparco wheels and yokohama S Drives. And more of the wheel gap....

Name:  ForumRunner_20130902_215512.png
Views: 8356
Size:  559.0 KB
prithwi-81 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2013, 02:19   #36
BHPian

Serious congratulations on the GT Prithwi! Fantastic buy, I'd recommend the remap sometime soon, the difference albeit subtle definitely makes its presence felt.

I was Driving Robi's GT around town yesterday, the ultimate combination of city drivability (owing to size and the brilliant DSG) and thrills (thanks to the fantastic paddle shifters mated to the DSG along with the remap) makes this such a fun car, oh and I love the firmness and confidence inspiring B6's too
Old 3rd September 2013, 11:59   #37

Picked up my White GT TSI yesterday evening and immediately changed the tires to Michelin 195/60/15. Got it done at Jay Auto right next to VW Sundaram dealership. Got 3500 for each of stock tires and paid another 10000 for the upgrade. Changed the air to Nitrogen for additional 200 bucks and pressure level 32. The steering feels a lil heavy than before but maybe that's a good thing. The ride is quite smooth even on bumpy and uneven surface and the is no road noise whatsoever.

There is a slight problem with the Bluetooth however. Tried connecting 3 different phones and iPad but inspite of successful connection there is no music streaming through the car speakers. Any other TSI owners experienced similar issue?

The audio definitely needs to be upgraded and dead pedal and armrest are sorely missed. I don't like the horn either and wanna change that. Suggestions welcome for where to get these done in Chennai.

The burst of power and the overall drive feel is quite great through. Going to change the headlight and indicator bulbs to Osram and Philips as suggested by Robi.
Old 3rd September 2013, 13:25   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamson View Post
Picked up my White GT TSI yesterday evening and immediately changed the tires to Michelin 195/60/15. Got it done at Jay Auto right next to VW Sundaram dealership. Got 3500 for each of stock tires and paid another 10000 for the upgrade. Changed the air to Nitrogen for additional 200 bucks and pressure level 32.
Hi, Congrats on the car!
Did you change all 5 tyres? Can you specify the michelin make of tyres you went for?
Old 3rd September 2013, 14:21   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamson View Post
Picked up my White GT TSI yesterday evening and immediately changed the tires to Michelin 195/60/15. Got it done at Jay Auto right next to VW Sundaram dealership. Got 3500 for each of stock tires and paid another 10000 for the upgrade. Changed the air to Nitrogen for additional 200 bucks and pressure level 32. The steering feels a lil heavy than before but maybe that's a good thing. The ride is quite smooth even on bumpy and uneven surface and the is no road noise whatsoever.

There is a slight problem with the Bluetooth however. Tried connecting 3 different phones and iPad but inspite of successful connection there is no music streaming through the car speakers. Any other TSI owners experienced similar issue?

The audio definitely needs to be upgraded and dead pedal and armrest are sorely missed. I don't like the horn either and wanna change that. Suggestions welcome for where to get these done in Chennai.

The burst of power and the overall drive feel is quite great through. Going to change the headlight and indicator bulbs to Osram and Philips as suggested by Robi.
Congrats on the car man.. welcome to the GT TSI club. Armrest is a must in this car, and you can get it from either the VW Dealers (vento beige/cloth unit) or from Vagtune who got me the black leather unit.

Dead pedal is another annoyance, and am still working to source it. Cant find the part numbers in ETKA anywhere.

Bluetooth streaming works well with the system for me with the Steering controls working to change tracks (Lumia 720 and Android Phones). There is some issues with iPhone 4/5. Sometime it works, sometime it doesnt. I suppose iOS 7 is the culprit here. Lumia's also have weird funny issues with the OEM unit when the system sending voice command controls to the phone. Honestly its not much of a bother for me. The phone also states that the directory can be remotely accessed, but the Head Unit has no way to do this.
Old 3rd September 2013, 16:47   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by babhishek View Post

Hi, Congrats on the car!
Did you change all 5 tyres? Can you specify the michelin make of tyres you went for?
I changed only 4, figuring the fourth one to be used mainly as a donut. I got the Michelin Energy 195/60/15. They were 6100/pc which I was able to negotiate 100 bucks less and got credit of 3500 for the stock Apolo's.
kamson is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2013, 23:31   #41
BHPian

Few notes on the DSG. Have been using this car daily in delhi gurgaon traffic for awhile now, and I must say it really takes the stress out of driving in rush hour down a notch or two. The 1st and second gear are real close ratios and the car tries to jump to 2nd the first chance it gets in D mode, and then when u brake and stop its down to 1st. On real slow moving traffic this can be annoying as the shift delays and dsg shudder gets to you. There are two solutions to this. 1st, take the dsg into manual mode and sit and crawl in 1st gear till traffic clears up enuff to move int D and zoom off, or keep it in S mode and it will stay in 1st gear thruout all slow traffic and be smooth in Auto mode.

Feul efficiency is getting better creeping up to 10.5kmpl in 1st, 2nd gear rush hour traffic with AC. If I switch the AC off its 11.5 to 12kmpl. Full throttle runs have given me the worst case scenario of 8.9kmpl. 4000-5000rpm seems to be the peak of the power curve, and revving beyond that is pretty useless. Best F.E ive gotten is 15.8kmpl highway crusing with AC.
Old 8th September 2013, 23:36   #42
BHPian

Car has hit 1200kms. Loving every moment of it. The gearbox is so much fun and the turbo motor makes zipping around town a lot fun. The S drives are noisy, but do grip very very well. Next set, I'll go to what I'm using on the VRS, Michellin PS3s. Similar grip but far superior in comfort and noise.

DSG has gotten a LOT smoother than the initial days. The trick for a smooth rollout from stop is to treat your brake pedal like the clutch in 1st gear. Slow off till the car starts moving, feeling the clutch engaging before pressing the throttle, and not like a torque converter auto where u wud just mash the throttle.
Old 8th September 2013, 23:49   #43
BHPian

New Pics are here...
VW Polo GT TSI - Officially Unofficial Review and Initial Ownership Report-1044154_706212179394526_1188519982_n1.jpg

VW Polo GT TSI - Officially Unofficial Review and Initial Ownership Report-1233465_706212272727850_1972613631_n1.jpg

VW Polo GT TSI - Officially Unofficial Review and Initial Ownership Report-1239509_706212536061157_362373809_n1.jpg

VW Polo GT TSI - Officially Unofficial Review and Initial Ownership Report-1174932_706909919324752_597519740_n1.jpg
prithwi-81 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th September 2013, 22:08   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Car has hit 1200kms. Loving every moment of it. The gearbox is so much fun and the turbo motor makes zipping around town a lot fun. The S drives are noisy, but do grip very very well. Next set, I'll go to what I'm using on the VRS, Michellin PS3s. Similar grip but far superior in comfort and noise.

DSG has gotten a LOT smoother than the initial days. The trick for a smooth rollout from stop is to treat your brake pedal like the clutch in 1st gear. Slow off till the car starts moving, feeling the clutch engaging before pressing the throttle, and not like a torque converter auto where u wud just mash the throttle.
Congrats on this amazing ride dude, did you get a chance to check the in-gear acceleration times?

Even if you haven't, which one do you think moves fast? The laura VRS or the Polo GT, say in the range of 40-100 or 30-80 kms!!! And could you tell me, how much did that lovely steering wheel cost you - I am planning to buy the car only because i now know that i can get paddles on this machine......
Old 12th September 2013, 12:29   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by udiboy View Post
Congrats on this amazing ride dude, did you get a chance to check the in-gear acceleration times?

Even if you haven't, which one do you think moves fast? The laura VRS or the Polo GT, say in the range of 40-100 or 30-80 kms!!! And could you tell me, how much did that lovely steering wheel cost you - I am planning to buy the car only because i now know that i can get paddles on this machine......
Honestly the Polo 'feels' faster than the standard laura TSI but that has a lot to do with the weight being significantly lower. BUT when it comes to the Stage 2 VRS, aint nothing near it. Yet to do a scientific test to check both.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks