Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th August 2014, 07:29   #61
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: EcoSport Mileage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsurya View Post
Arent there any Mods or Racetronics type enhancers available yet that can improve the low end drivability of Ecoboost engine? If only Ford can pass the 'bumper on 2nd gear' test in Indian traffic, this would be the best petrol engine on the market today after VW 1.2 TSi.
There is this add-on from Race Chip http://www.racechip.com/chiptuning/f...92kw/index.php that starts from Rs. 24,000 excluding shipping.

However, like all piggy-back units, it works by intercepting and modifying ECU signals about refuelling, and is not a true power remap.

I strongly believe its the gear ratio of 2nd that is the deal-breaker here, and not fuelling characteristics - because I don't have any problems with the other gears, its only in 2nd that the power comes in late (but granted, it also stays very long: I've done 80 km/h in 2nd at 5000 rpm, which means we can hit the ton at the redline).

Last edited by arunphilip : 27th August 2014 at 07:33.
arunphilip is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2014, 21:06   #62

Re: A Ford EcoSport finds a home - 1.0L EcoBoost Titanium (O)

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
I'll separate my response into facts and opinions.

Facts:
  • My IDV at the time of purchase last year was 8.01 lakh (Royal Sundaram via Lathangi Ford)...........

Opinions: [list][*]In hindsight, I felt that the original IDV offered was on the lower side, just as the premium charged was on the higher side - the premium being higher is a known practice for dealer-provided insurance, but I also suspect a deflated IDV to further increase that margin.....

Suggestions:
  • Increasing the IDV does increase your premium, so its a case of how you want to manage your risk - higher premium for better total-loss cover, or vice versa.

Let me know how it goes, and be willing to play off quotes from one company against the other to get yourself the best deal.
Hi arunphilip,

My insurance was going to expire tomorrow night. I wanted to wait till the last day, a bit out of laziness and a bit out of the urge to search for options.

So, finally I stuck to Royal Sundaram for the renewal. The facts are as below,

Premium = Rs. 18,315/-
IDV = Rs. 5,84,000/-
No Claim Bonus = 20%
Depreciation Waiver = Rs. 3504/-
Third Party Premium = Rs. 1332/-

Part of Plan: Emergency Towing Assistance, Flat Tyre Service, Vehicle Pick up, On the spot repair, Emergency Fuel Delivery, Vehicle Key Service, Assistance in Accomodation and Vehicle Repatriation.

Firstly, this was the highest IDV that I was getting without any kind of tinkering. Also, after a cost benefit analysis, I realized that considering the amount of usage that my ES undergoes, the probability that I will be claiming total value of the vehicle was low. So didn't badger the Royal Sundaram guys for a higher IDV. The IDV in my first quote was Rs. 6,28,000/- and going by a 10% Depreciation rate, Rs. 5,84,000/- was a good bet. There was almost a Rs. 1,00,000/- difference in IDV between the quotes of HDFC and Royal Sundaram for the same premium. So I'm guessing I made a good deal.

Secondly, I'm really not sure how the add-ons like Emergency Towing assistance etc. work because I've never used them (would pray that I would never want to use also) and these add-ons seem new developments in the Insurance Market to me. Please correct me if I am wrong. And I've not asked for them, so seems like they are part of the standard package. But compared to the next-best quote of HDFC, the add-ons with Royal Sundaram seem to add up to more. As I already said, I'm not sure of the effectiveness of any of these services, but they do count up to more.
firsttimeowner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2014, 11:03   #63
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by firsttimeowner View Post
So, finally I stuck to Royal Sundaram for the renewal. The facts are as below,

Premium = Rs. 18,315/-
IDV = Rs. 5,84,000/-

Part of Plan: Emergency Towing Assistance, Flat Tyre Service, Vehicle Pick up, On the spot repair, Emergency Fuel Delivery, Vehicle Key Service, Assistance in Accomodation and Vehicle Repatriation.
Congratulations. The premium does feel on the higher side, but if you're happy with the add-ons available, then more power to you.

For these add-ons (towing assist, etc.) check the fine print and keep a copy of those terms in your EcoSport. They sometimes have clauses that there are limits to their assistance (e.g. within 20 km of city limits, etc.) so its best to be aware of it.

I have found out that if we renew more than 45 days in advance, there's an added discount available - that's something you and I both need to remember next year!
Old 12th September 2014, 04:20   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

I finished my second service (1 year or 10,000 kms) yesterday at Lathangi Ford, opposite IIM-B. My EcoSport has done 7,500 kms. I had no problems to report, so it was just a regular service.

Service Experience: (5/5)
Or 10/10! Whatever, Lathangi Ford gets full marks, gets my recommendation, and will get my business for my next service/visit.

While I had intended to fix up an appointment for 11-Sep but never got around to it, the Lathangi people seem to have read my mind and called me on 10-Sep reminding me about a service. So I fixed it for 11-Sep at 9:30 am.

When I arrived there, I was quickly attended to (and was pleased to note a record of my appointment). The service advisor ran through what would be done (oil/filter change, air filter cleaning, brake drum cleaning, wheel alignment/balancing, car wash). He did not attempt to push any margin-enhancing add-ons like AC deodorizing, engine lacquering, etc. I opted out of the WA/WB since I got that done at Madhu's about 4 weeks ago, and opted out of the car wash since I got a wash & wax at 3M last Sunday. I also asked for an engine air filter replacement (instead of cleaning) and for a replacement wheel nut.

Hearing that, the SA said that the service will take only about 1 hour, and actually advised me to wait. I had anyway gone with the intention of waiting out and monitoring the service. During the entire service, I was allowed to freely wander around the service area, converse with the mechanics/technicians (Md. Asif and Vinay, in my case), and go under the car when it was on the hoist. Very open and customer friendly!

Billing and settlement experience was also good, and I was never asked/pushed to provide any feedback, or even hinted at giving positive feedback. They've however smartly kept the feedback form near the billing counter, so you can fill that while the billing is done. Naturally, I gave them full marks. Time taken end-to-end: 1.5 hours.

Work Done
  • Oil change, along with oil filter and drain plug replacement
  • Top-up of washer water + wash fluid, top-up of engine coolant, check up of brake fluid
  • Drum brake rust cleaning
  • Greasing of door locks, hinges, etc.
  • Inspection of electricals, tires, suspension, etc. Basically, the items in the Ford Vehicle Report Card.
  • OBD-II scan for DCT errors. There were none.
  • Engine air filter replacement (at my request, instead of just cleaning it as scheduled)
  • 1 wheel nut replacement (at my request, since it had become distorted)

Cost Breakup (including 14.5% VAT)
  • Oil drain plug: Rs. 214.50
  • Oil filter: Rs. 575
  • Engine oil: 1,869.58 (for 4.1L of 5W-20 Castrol Magnatec)
  • Wash fluid pouch: Rs. 64
  • Rust spray: Rs. 104
  • Engine air filter: Rs. 683 (at my request)
  • Wheel nut: Rs. 213.24 (at my request)

Cost Summary (including 14.5% VAT)
  • Engine oil change: Rs. 2,659
  • Consumables for cleaning: Rs. 168 (wash fluid + rust spray)
  • Cost of 2nd service: Rs. 2,827 (i.e. total of above 2 bullet points)
  • Additional stuff I requested: Rs. 896 (air filter, 1 wheel nut)

Post Service Feel
  • I've done about 40 kms after servicing, and the oil change has given an observable difference - while the engine never felt sluggish previously, I now find an added urgency when it revs up.
  • Also, a slight hesitancy/tendency to knock if in 2nd gear after a speed breaker has reduced and become smoother.
  • The above 2 points are also probably benefited by the new air filter.
  • Braking has become less grabby. I never had a problem with it earlier, but now I notice that the braking is smooth and progressive. While it felt like braking performance had lessened initially, after about 10 kms of driving it appears the brake drums/shoes had bedded in properly again, and braking performance was fine again. Or maybe it was just my brain that had to bed in to the new braking behaviour!
  • Engine clatter has reduced a bit with the engine oil change.
  • Otherwise, its the same and enjoyable car. I only wish and pray that all my visits to Ford's A.S.S. continue to be for just regular work.

Other Observations
  • Good and clean restrooms for men and women (I can vouch for the cleanliness of only the men's room!).
  • There is a customer lounge with TV & reading material, but I didn't bother with these, as I was on the service floor.
  • I like Ford's quick lane service concept, I was in and out in 1.5 hours (not doing a car wash helped save time).
  • I like Lathangi's attitude of allowing owners onto the shop floor.
  • Since I opted out of a car wash, the service advisor voluntarily gave me a free wash voucher (via email) that allows me to get a wash done anytime I wish, for free. At no point did I ever ask for this, so its very cool of them to be this proactive.
  • Each vehicle bay has 2 mechanics assigned, and they have a tool shelf for their own use. I noticed there are boxed sets of Stanley tools, so its good to see quality tools being used.
  • I've not been able to find 5W-20 grade of oil in the open market (for the limited searching I've done). The Castrol Magnatec used here is Ford co-branded, and has labelling that it conforms to Ford's specification WSS-M2C948-B. When I spoke to the SA about having acquiring some oil to keep on hand for topups, he offered to sell me any required quantity. I didn't opt for that now, but again, its good of them to offer. He did say that I needn't bother, however, and could just drive in for a top-up anytime.
  • I might have originally thought that the brake cleaning for the drum brakes at the rear was just a money-grab. However, the difference felt in braking is apparent, and hence this is worth it.
  • WA/WB equipment is Hunter brand, and has Madhu's stickers on it. I need to check with Nikhil if they have a tie-up with Lathangi!
  • My car got admiring glances from the SAs there, both for its finish/shine (thanks to Mr. Sidhu's 3M!), and for the other additions I've done (sunfilm, paint protection film and tyres). The SAs were discussing with me why I'd changed the tires.
  • While the vehicle was being prepped for delivery, I noticed another SA and a passing mechanic ask why the vehicle wasn't being washed - its again good to see this spirit of cross-checking happening.
  • Tea offered to customers and employees - the good thing is that this means that all the employees also finish their tea break there itself, without disappearing to a chai-point.
arunphilip is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 14th September 2014, 09:23   #65
BHPian

Hey Arun,

Could see that you have done your meticulous study whilst renewing the insurance. Mine is due for renewal this week. Any pointers or recommendation?
Old 14th September 2014, 09:48   #66
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto-Mariner View Post
Could see that you have done your meticulous study whilst renewing the insurance. Mine is due for renewal this week. Any pointers or recommendation?
  • Don't renew via the dealer! That's the key tip I'd give - you'll save a few thousands by going to the open market.
  • Apart from that, compare options at policybazaar.com to find a good quote.
  • Don't worry about changing insurance providers, there's no hassle involved since the policy purchase can be closed off online. So if you have an existing relationship with a bank and they offer competitive rates, you can opt for them.
  • Feel free to play off quotes from different vendors to help get the best rate.

That's all I can think of, but if you've got any specific questions, then let me know.
Old 21st December 2014, 15:01   #67
Distinguished - BHPian

To start off my Christmas vacation, I drove alone from Bangalore to Coonoor on the morning of 21-Dec. Route was Bangalore-Hosur-Krishnagiri-Salem-Avanashi-Annur-Mettupalayam-Kotagiri-Coonoor. Unfortunately, I ended up getting stuck at toll gates until Salem for a total of about 45 minutes, due to the holiday rush.

I had decided to try driving in a more sedate manner, since my previous run on the same route resulted in 14.5 km/L, with a heavy foot.

This time around, I got an overall trip mileage of 18.6 km/L for a distance of 415 km. More interestingly, I checked the MID after Mettupalayam, just before ascending the ghats to Kotagiri, and found that until there, I'd had a mileage of 19.9 km/L (i.e. highways, excluding the upcoming ghats). Yes, that's with the EcoBoost engine.

Key changes in my driving style:
  • Cruising at 100-110 km/h, with very occasional bursts to 120 km/h
  • If I was slowed down, accelerate quickly in a lower gear to attain cruising speed
  • Kept watch on the instantaneous mileage indicator

While my average speed was definitely lower, it wasn't boring, because the engine felt sharp, responsive and ready to leap ahead.

In all, I'm impressed with the EcoBoost engine - it can deliver the mileage if driven with a light foot, and it can deliver the thrills with a heavy foot.

Distance and mileage from Bangalore to Mettupalayam:
A Ford EcoSport finds a home - 1.0L EcoBoost Titanium (O)-wp_20141220_003.jpg
A Ford EcoSport finds a home - 1.0L EcoBoost Titanium (O)-wp_20141220_005.jpg
Distance and mileage from Bangalore to Coonoor:
A Ford EcoSport finds a home - 1.0L EcoBoost Titanium (O)-wp_20141220_007.jpg
A Ford EcoSport finds a home - 1.0L EcoBoost Titanium (O)-wp_20141220_008.jpg
arunphilip is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th January 2015, 08:19   #68
Distinguished - BHPian

The Recall - Part I

BACKGROUND
In mid-December 2014, Ford announced a recall of the EcoSport, to address up to two issues:
  • FSA: S1411 RCM CONNECTOR WIRING
  • FSA: S1403 FUEL TUBE AND VAPOUR TUBE REPLACEMENT
More information about this is available on the recall thread.

Although I was aware of this on 16-Dec, I was due to travel for my Christmas vacation on 20-Dec. I therefore elected not to reach out to the dealer to correct the issue before travelling. I accepted the fact that I was mostly going to have only 2 working airbags, and the fuel line rusting issue was anyway a preventative maintenance item to prevent long-term rusting.

During my vacation, on 29-Dec I received the following email from Ford:
A Ford EcoSport finds a home - 1.0L EcoBoost Titanium (O)-2014-12-ecosport-fsa-email-s1403-s1411.jpg
I was both pleased and impressed with this email because:
  • It didn't contain any management/marketing mumbo-jumbo or platitudes
  • The Q&A section clearly described the problem, the associated risk, corrective actions and next steps
  • It reflects Ford's continued approach to always publicizing recalls, even when it can affect general perception (e.g. the glow plug module recall coming days after the EcoSport launch)

SCHEDULING THE APPOINTMENT
So, after returning to work at settling back into the routine, I called Lathangi Ford on 21-Jan and fixed up an appointment for 22-Jan to cover both FSAs - I made it a point to mention to the lady that I had 2 FSAs to cover, since I presume a majority of the cases they might have seen till date are diesel EcoSports for the RCM FSA.

This was the only place where Lathangi tripped up, by not informing me up-front that they were not yet prepared to do the work for the EcoBoost-specific recall (S1403 FUEL TUBE AND VAPOUR TUBE REPLACEMENT), and I found this out only on 22-Jan from the service adviser (Febin). It was to do with them not having a specific tool used to remove the fuel line. I was assured that I'd be given a call-back once they received it and were ready to perform that fix. That's also the reason why this post is titled 'Part I', the second iteration will be posted once I get the other FSA addressed.

WORK EXECUTED
In any case, on 22-Jan I landed up at the Lathangi Ford centre opposite IIM-B and handed my vehicle in. I stayed on to keep an eye on the proceedings. Lathangi Ford continue their nice policy of allowing people to wander around in the service bays, and interact with the SAs and technicians. I also took this opportunity to get them fit the Osram Nightbreaker Unlimited bulbs that I had picked up months ago but never got around to actually fitting!

The work for FSA "S1411 RCM CONNECTOR WIRING" turned out to be far quicker than the 2 hours that were originally stated, it took only about 30 minutes (for the rewiring, and OBD-II diagnostics of the RCM). Speaking to the service technician Prasanna, he said all Ford technicians in Bangalore were trained in a Metro Ford facility in Bangalore by someone who took the training from Chennai. He also mentioned that he's gotten used to the work which is why its so quick.

Things that I learnt during this process:
  • RCM stands for Restraint Control Module, and covers the airbags, and seatbelt pre-tensioners
  • The RCM sits under the cell-phone holder area between the front-seats
  • There's a lot of empty space around the gear lever, beneath the console. I wonder why manufacturers don't offer extra cubby-holes to utilize this space
I also managed to snag some pictures of the rewiring instructions:
A Ford EcoSport finds a home - 1.0L EcoBoost Titanium (O)-wp_20150122_004.jpg A Ford EcoSport finds a home - 1.0L EcoBoost Titanium (O)-wp_20150122_005.jpg
You can see that the pin-out changes are either swapping or mirroring the positions, which might indicate how the problem might have originated in the first place.

My car was then put through their regular check-up, and though I was offered a complimentary car wash, I turned it down.

CLOSING NOTE
While I was there, I met the owner of a diesel EcoSport (Amit), who'd come for the RCM FSA. Given that both our cars were a rather rare blue, I took this opportunity to take a photo of both of them. Amusingly enough, while I'm a member of Team BHP, I've not put any sticker on my car (I like the clean look), whereas he's not a member but has a LTD sticker proudly plastered on his car.
A Ford EcoSport finds a home - 1.0L EcoBoost Titanium (O)-wp_20150122_008.jpg
Note: my car on the left has not been washed since September, thanks to 3M treatment and Jopasu's duster! After this, I went straight to 3M HSR for a wash and wax.
arunphilip is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th March 2015, 16:51   #69
BHPian

Excellent write-up Arun, detailed, informative, helpful..I feel this is a must read for any potential EcoSport (EcoBoost) buyer.

I'm planning to buy one myself but have stumbled upon the engine choice: 1.5P or EcoBoost. Unfortuantely, I haven't been able to drive either due to it's availability (rather Ford Dealer's ignorance to return TD requests). I walked into a Dealer Showroom one day & drove the Diesel one for a short distance. The TD was good but I'd still want to TD the Petrol ones to get better clarity.

What's your take on the Petrol engines? Did you face the same dilemma? What should I look out for while I TD them? My Driving style is almost similar to yours.

Appreciate your insight.
DevendraG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2015, 17:19   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevendraG View Post
Excellent write-up Arun, detailed, informative, helpful..I feel this is a must read for any potential EcoSport (EcoBoost) buyer.

I'm planning to buy one myself but have stumbled upon the engine choice: 1.5P or EcoBoost. Unfortuantely, I haven't been able to drive either due to it's availability (rather Ford Dealer's ignorance to return TD requests). I walked into a Dealer Showroom one day & drove the Diesel one for a short distance. The TD was good but I'd still want to TD the Petrol ones to get better clarity.

What's your take on the Petrol engines? Did you face the same dilemma? What should I look out for while I TD them? My Driving style is almost similar to yours.

Appreciate your insight.

There is no need for confusion here. The Ecoboost is the only way to go. Dig around on the forum for posts by 1.5P owners. All reviews are point towards a very lackluster motor, and unless you are on a very tight budget, the Ecoboost is the way to go.
JayD is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 16th March 2015, 22:09   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
There is no need for confusion here. The Ecoboost is the only way to go. Dig around on the forum for posts by 1.5P owners. All reviews are point towards a very lackluster motor, and unless you are on a very tight budget, the Ecoboost is the way to go.
Thanks JayD..appreciate your suggestion. No doubt EcoBoost engines are hear to stay coz they manage to bring the goods of both Petrol & Diesel. I'm quite eagerly waiting to lay my hands on one too.

However, my main concern is the frequent downshifting needed in EcoBoost which has been quoted by quite a few owners. I currently drive Hyundai iGen i20 Petrol & so I'm fairly familiar with a sluggish motor. But that also is one of the reasons I'm looking to improve my future ride. Also the stiff suspension has added to my concerns. Not to forget the FE of 10-11 kpl (City).

I have shortlisted Polo & EcoSport (wife's first choice). Choosing the engine option in Polo was fairly simple & so I called over GT TSI for TD & I could equate it fairly with my Mercedes A-Class experience. I'm almost sold here (partly coz I've been snubbed by Ford for over a month by doing a no show for TD). But I haven't given up on EcoSport yet.

Also, I read online that EcoSport minor upgrade is around the corner. So if EcoBoost TD changes my opinion, should I wait for the upgrade (per posts, it's scheduled for release in the second half of 2015) or choose current one (waiting of 4-5 months in Pune).
Old 10th September 2015, 21:49   #72
BHPian

Hey arun, did you find it hard to maintain the eco in blue? I really like this color but every one is discouraging me because they believe that it'll be too hard to maintain.
Old 10th September 2015, 22:16   #73
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doge View Post
Hey arun, did you find it hard to maintain the eco in blue? I really like this color but every one is discouraging me because they believe that it'll be too hard to maintain.
For the EcoSport, after black, the kinetic blue is one of the harder colours to maintain if one is not careful. But the reward is quite an eye-catching colour.

Things I do are:
  • I don't have my watchman wash the car. I take it to 3M once a month for a proper wash. Rest of the time, I just dust with a Jopasu duster. I've heard of others who've given their washing chap a microfiber cloth to use only for their car, and only on the body (they can use their normal cloth for the tires). The truly committed ones wash the car themselves using the 2-bucket technique! All of this is to keep off swirl marks, which can otherwise look very ugly.
  • 2-3 times a year, I get a polish done at 3M, which really brings out the gloss.
If your circumstances or inclination prevents you from such maintenance, then you can go for a safer colour like silver or chill (which is silver with a tinge of green/beige). These hide swirl marks and minor scratches very well.
Old 13th September 2015, 21:06   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
For the EcoSport, after black, the kinetic blue is one of the harder colours to maintain if one is not careful.
Hi Arun, I will be doing the PDI tomorrow. I wanted to know the location of the VIN in th car. Is there anything special that I need to look into during PDI?
Old 13th September 2015, 21:23   #75
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doge View Post
Hi Arun, I will be doing the PDI tomorrow. I wanted to know the location of the VIN in th car. Is there anything special that I need to look into during PDI?
Firstly, take a copy of the PDI checklist on TBHP, link.

Beyond that, there's nothing specific to the EcoSport that you'll want to check on the PDI.

The VIN number is in a couple of places, the easiest and most accessible place is at the bottom of the windshield, on the passenger side (i.e. beneath the passenger side wiper blade). See below illustration.
A Ford EcoSport finds a home - 1.0L EcoBoost Titanium (O)-ecosport-vin-location.jpg
Also, congratulations, it looks like you've made your mind up on colour and engine - which one have you gone for?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks