Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th September 2013, 10:27   #136
BHPian

Re: The 2013 Skoda Octavia | Views of an Unofficial Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
The electronic differential lock allows smooth, comfortable starts on slippery or loose road surfaces. If one wheel starts to spin, the electronic differential lock will brake the wheel as necessary, directing power to the wheel with greater traction. The electronic differential lock reduces tyre wear and is active up to a speed of about 40 kmph.

Thanks for the explanation. But wouldn't that cause the car to turn? Cause I know for a fact that's how you turn a tank. Brake one track and power the second.
Old 25th September 2013, 10:52   #137
Distinguished - BHPian

The hidden specifications URL on Skoda's website reveals an interesting fact. THe Max torque for the 1.4 TSI and the 1.8 TSI is the same : 250 NM! Just that the range at which Max torque is delivered is wider in the 1.8 TSI.

The 1.4 TSI seen in the Jetta produces max torque of 200 NM @ 5000 rpm.

This newly tuned 1.4 TSI Octavia if priced right has great potential to take on the likes of the Honda City and the Hyundai Verna petrols. The ARAI rating of the 1.4 TSI is claimed at 16.8 kmpl which is same as the City. The 250 NM torque will translate into great incity drievability too.

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 25th September 2013 at 10:54.
Santoshbhat is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 25th September 2013, 11:46   #138
BHPian

I really wish they give these alloys on the top end trims. They look pretty mean with the black colour car. Sizewise I think these look like 17 inches.

The 2013 Skoda Octavia | Views of an Unofficial Expert-magicblack_201309170932.jpg

Pic Source: http://www.skoda-auto.co.in/models/Octavia/gallery

Like many here I too am waiting for the official review with bated breath which I am pretty sure will be worth it. There isnt any sort of embargo so I wonder what is the delay all about.
Old 25th September 2013, 11:52   #139
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by miharbe View Post
I really wish they give these alloys on the top end trims. They look pretty mean with the black colour car. Sizewise I think these look like 17 inches.
Those look like 18's. No chance you'll get those for India.
Santoshbhat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2013, 12:45   #140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph03nix View Post
Thanks for the explanation. But wouldn't that cause the car to turn? Cause I know for a fact that's how you turn a tank. Brake one track and power the second.
It happens for few seconds till you get going. And you have steering also to compensate which tank doesn't.

It uses ABS sensors and breaks to match the speed of the two wheels hence only effective till 40Kmph otherwise it would create stress on breaking system.
Old 25th September 2013, 12:51   #141
Senior - BHPian

Dealers have no clue about the prices yet. They are sure that the Octavia will only be available in 4 colors beige silver white and black.

Last edited by adi_petrolhead : 25th September 2013 at 12:58.
Old 25th September 2013, 14:58   #142
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
Dealers have no clue about the prices yet. They are sure that the Octavia will only be available in 4 colors beige silver white and black.
Highly unlikely as the red and dark blue ones have been spied in India. Why would they be in India if they arent going to be launched?
Old 25th September 2013, 14:59   #143
BHPian

Saw a Octavia TDi Elegance model at Tafe's on St.Marks road. Some quick observations
  • The car has a lower stance than my Laura. Guess the GC is reduced a bit. Bottom might scrape if one is not careful through those speed breakers & bad patches.
  • After adjusting the drivers seat to my height (6'1"), found the rear seat to have a bit more knee room thanks to the slightly longer wheelbase.
  • The doors felt lighter to open and close than my Laura.
  • In addition to the standard rubber beading on the doors, there is a felt lining as well - should help keep the insides well insulated.
  • Steering had thicker padding than the Laura - feels nice to hold, especially if you have large palms.
  • Sitting in the rear seat, it felt more airy and spacious thanks to the sunroof.

Talking to a couple of sales folks, they were saying the OTR for the Elegance model might be more than the Laura's L&K trim (was 23-24L OTR in Bangalore). How much more, they weren't sure.
vignesh.cv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2013, 15:39   #144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vignesh.cv View Post
  • The car has a lower stance than my Laura. Guess the GC is reduced a bit. Bottom might scrape if one is not careful through those speed breakers & bad patches.
Your guess is correct. The new Octavia's GC is 155 mm compared to out going Laura which has a 164 mm GC. Certainly the car would scrape on higher speed breakers like the ones in Banglore.

Skoda should have retained the previous GC of 164 mm. Considering now BMW comes with 157 mm of GC. So a Octavia has higher chances of scraping compared to a BMW.
Old 25th September 2013, 17:35   #145
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik_kapur View Post
Highly unlikely as the red and dark blue ones have been spied in India. Why would they be in India if they arent going to be launched?
They were mere test mules. Actual production in India began only in August.
Old 25th September 2013, 17:47   #146
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vignesh.cv View Post
Talking to a couple of sales folks, they were saying the OTR for the Elegance model might be more than the Laura's L&K trim (was 23-24L OTR in Bangalore). How much more, they weren't sure.
I was seriously contemplating the 1.8 TSI.. but if the elegance TDI is going to be priced at 23-24L OTR BLR, I assume that the elegance 1.8 TSI would work out to be more than 20L OTR. Guess it is time to look at other options or wait till discounts start to hit.
Old 25th September 2013, 18:12   #147
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
Your guess is correct. The new Octavia's GC is 155 mm compared to out going Laura which has a 164 mm GC.
=============So a Octavia has higher chances of scraping compared to a BMW.
That rules me out. I drove a baleno for 6 years and cant remember a speed breaker it did not scrape. 155 mm ground clearence is outrageous. We are living in india arent we !!!!
Old 25th September 2013, 19:03   #148
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.surgeon1985 View Post
That rules me out. I drove a baleno for 6 years and cant remember a speed breaker it did not scrape. 155 mm ground clearence is outrageous. We are living in india arent we !!!!
Totally agree with your experience with the Baleno, have the same experience myself but at the same time I can assure you that scraping of the underbody is not a simple function of just the GC but is also dependent on the suspension (springs, struts, dampers etc). The suspension setup has a substantial impact on underbody scrapping. So we need to check the actual car itself and not arrive at a conclusion based on simply the GC specs.

I know this as I have personally tried out various specs of struts/dampers on the same car and tested it on the same speed breaker and the results showed substantial change across all loading patterns/approach speeds.

peace,
~kg

Last edited by kapilvgupta : 25th September 2013 at 19:06.
Old 25th September 2013, 19:32   #149
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.surgeon1985 View Post
Look under your Baleno and see how low the exhaust is. That is what scrapes everywhere.

The Octy will have stiff suspension, it won't scrape. My 3 with a GC of 140 odd MM has never scraped.
Akshay1234 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2013, 19:48   #150
BHPian

Saw the New Octavia at Tafe Access today,
.It does not have the wow factor, very understated
.The touch screen music system is nice to use and has decent output.
.The last Panaromic sunroof is simply superb.
.Cooled glove box, CD insertion in the glove box and it has a media port.
.Door thud is missing, feels very light compared to the older car.
.Dealer says expected on road price of 25, as the Laura high end dsg costed 24.

Waiting for the prices...
Attached Images

Closed Thread

Most Viewed