Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd September 2013, 11:21   #46
BHPian

Re: Ford EcoSport 1.5D Titanium - Owner's Log of the Beauty, or the Beast?

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
I just wanted to have Goodyear as OE fitment rather than MRF. I would never buy Goodyear as replacement. The only choices are Yoko, Michelin or Conti.
Hard tyres = can crack
Soft tyres = can get cuts

All tyre makers make both hard and soft tyres.

Michelin Energy, Yoko A drive etc are hard.

Primacy, S drive, dB series, Conti CPC etc are soft.

MRF ZVTS/ZV2K are ultra-hard.

Take your pick based on the terrain you frequent on.
ecosport is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2013, 09:45   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Changing the tyre - Personal Experience (rear tyre):

The only time when I felt that the high GC was a pain. The jack needs to be fully jacked to completely lift the tyre. Wish they had provided some different kind of jack. Takes a lot of time and sweat. Removing the spare wheel was pretty easy but the special nut needs to be pressed for it to be used. The special nut consists of a plastic button and the metal nut. Press the metal nut inside the plastic case for it to be used. If you try to use it in the standard position, it wont lock. Slotting the tyre to place needs some effort thanks to the heavy tyres. Surprisingly, the alloy alone isnt all that heavy.
naveen.raju is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th September 2013, 15:12   #48
BHPian

Did you hear anything from Ford of MRF on the damaged tyre? I also wonder why you are not going for change of stock tyres to some better ones..any particular reason other than cost aspect??

Quote:
Changing the tyre - Personal Experience (rear tyre):

The only time when I felt that the high GC was a pain. The jack needs to be fully jacked to completely lift the tyre. Wish they had provided some different kind of jack. Takes a lot of time and sweat. Removing the spare wheel was pretty easy but the special nut needs to be pressed for it to be used. The special nut consists of a plastic button and the metal nut. Press the metal nut inside the plastic case for it to be used. If you try to use it in the standard position, it wont lock. Slotting the tyre to place needs some effort thanks to the heavy tyres. Surprisingly, the alloy alone isnt all that heavy.
Old 24th September 2013, 15:15   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto-Mariner View Post
Did you hear anything from Ford of MRF on the damaged tyre? I also wonder why you are not going for change of stock tyres to some better ones..any particular reason other than cost aspect??
Gave the tyre to the local MRF showroom from where they will take it for inspection. Not expecting a positive outcome but this was after some strong mails to the higher authorities.
Yes, cost is the main factor that's holding me back. Else, I would have gone for a different brand.
naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2013, 20:58   #50
Senior - BHPian

Hi, Naveen, couple of questions.
Is the seat covers OE?
The Ford website mentions about the Guide me Home head lamp function for the lower variant but doesn't make a mention in Titanium ans Titanium (O). Is this function and the key-less entry/start available in Titanium

I became a fan of ES and wish to change my Swift and thus the questions. Bookings are not open after the initial stoppage.
Old 1st October 2013, 23:21   #51
BHPian

Neveen,
I have been coming across various reports of rattles in the Ecosport. Since build quality is very important to me, I am a bit agitated, since I am waiting for the delivery of my vehicle.

How has your experience been in this regard? Should I be worried?
Old 2nd October 2013, 09:15   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
Hi, Naveen, couple of questions.
Is the seat covers OE?
The Ford website mentions about the Guide me Home head lamp function for the lower variant but doesn't make a mention in Titanium ans Titanium (O). Is this function and the key-less entry/start available in Titanium

I became a fan of ES and wish to change my Swift and thus the questions. Bookings are not open after the initial stoppage.
1. I have Titanium and got no seat covers. Titanium (O) got leather seats. But mine is not exactly fabric type that you see in Swift. A bit hard and very close to leather feel. Seats are good but beige seats can pick up dirt very easily.

2. Yes, both these functions are available in the Titanium. It's not exactly headlights, but park lights are ON when you unlock the car. The new Titanium models dont have Push button start. Still retains the keyless entry though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeKay View Post
Neveen,
I have been coming across various reports of rattles in the Ecosport. Since build quality is very important to me, I am a bit agitated, since I am waiting for the delivery of my vehicle.

How has your experience been in this regard? Should I be worried?
As of now it's doing good. But there's a small vibration (left front passenger door) due to high bass from the speaker. Kind of irritating since the cabin is well insulated. When the bass level is kept at zero it's fine. Need to check that. Since you are looking for exceptional build quality and free from rattles, I doubt whether you will be happy with ecosport in the future. Am expecting rattles in the future since there are many bits and pieces of plastics like the sun glass holder (looks flimsy), the door pad is flimsy and thanks to the very large dashboard, it's prone to rattles in the future. This is just my personal opinion. But compared to Swift, this is really good. I suggest that you test drive the vehicle since it would have gone through a lot of abuse and should be the perfect piece to test your theory.
naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2013, 10:17   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

1000 kms Update

Ford EcoSport 1.5D Titanium - Owner's Log of the Beauty, or the Beast?-20131001_090338.jpg

Current speedo reading - 1045km
Usage - 100% city
AC - 100%
Mileage as per the MID - 14kmpl

Tyre Update:
One tyre gets damaged while going over a sharp pothole in exactly 10 days and the speedo read 420kms. Calls up the dealer and they plainly rejects the option to replace the tyre free of cost. Calls Ford helpline and registers a compliant and they stated that the dealer should replace the tyre since it's a brand new tyre. Dealer advised me to check with their service station. After waiting for half n hour and meeting couple of people, they finally arrange for a person to check my tyre. Gives a form and asks me to fill the form and visit the MRF office. This is when I lost my temper. Being a new tyre and leaving it all to customer to run around this isnt acceptable. Made a scene there and decided to go to the MRF office. Reach the MRF showroom at 5 and hands it over to the person in the counter. This person who seriously got some attitude problem angrily replies that this isnt the time to inspect the tyre. Finally another person came and agrees that he will inspect it. On seeing the tyre he immediately rejects it since it was a side wall crack. He tells me that it's because I scrapped the side against some sharp object. As I had no evidence to prove that it got damaged running over a pothole, I decided to meet the higher authorities. Me and Ford mailed to MRF asking for an explanation. After couple of days, I receive a call from MRF technical manager asking me to submit the tyre to the nearest MRF showroom from where they will take it for inspection. I mention to him that tyre was already inspected and they rejected it. But he said that this time a senior manager will check the tyre. Decided to try this one last time and head to the MRF showroom at Vytilla on mon evening. Hands over the tyre and the showroom in charge said he would call in 2 days. No calls even after 4 days and I finally decided to call him to know the status. He said he would call me the next day and update me on the status. Still no calls from him and I decided to call him on the 5th day. In spite of calling him N number of times, he decided not to pick my call. Decided to vist the showroom in the evening which is under renovation. Saw only workers there and they say that no one is here and they will reach after 5pm. Waited for 20 min and receives a mail from MRF head office stating that the tyre has been rejected. Furious at this, I reply asking them to return my damaged tyre asap. The technical manager calls me up and conveys the message. I ask him to return my tyre asap and convey the attitude of the MRF showroom people. Somehow, he managed to deliver the tyre to the showroom in half n hour.

Few key things I noticed:
1) MRF should atleast provide a warranty for 500kms (atleast).
2) Attitude problem - Almost all the employees got serious attitude problem. They should learn to treat their customers well. Experience at the MRF main office was bad. He treated me as if I had gone there to ask for some donation.
3) Once the car is delivered, the customer is at his mercy. Even though Ford did their part, MRF blindly rejected the claim.
4) No more MRF from now on. Will change the spare to another brand and stick with MRF for the time being on other tyres. Will immediately switch to different brand as soon as this set wears out.
naveen.raju is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2013, 11:09   #54
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
[u]
4) No more MRF from now on. Will change the spare to another brand and stick with MRF for the time being on other tyres. Will immediately switch to different brand as soon as this set wears out.
I had the same thoughts. The only MRF ones which I had seen positive reviews were the Wanderers. So I have been sticking to them. Have clocked about 22k. Good going so far.
Old 2nd October 2013, 11:28   #55
BHPian

Quote:
MRF ZV2Ks would wear out in 50-60K kms. Do you really want to run on them for so long? If you swap now, you can get at least 3k per tyre for your MRFs.
Old 2nd October 2013, 11:30   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecosport View Post
MRF ZV2Ks would wear out in 50-60K kms. Do you really want to run on them for so long? If you swap now, you can get at least 3k per tyre for your MRFs.
I had plans of swapping the entire set but lack of fund is stopping me .
Old 2nd October 2013, 13:16   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1. I have Titanium and got no seat covers. Titanium (O) got leather seats. But mine is not exactly fabric type that you see in Swift. A bit hard and very close to leather feel. Seats are good but beige seats can pick up dirt very easily.
2. Yes, both these functions are available in the Titanium. It's not exactly headlights, but park lights are ON when you unlock the car. The new Titanium models dont have Push button start. Still retains the keyless entry though.
That is why the spec list doesn't indicate about the key-less feature for the Titanium variant.
One more aspect; did you compare Ecpspot with the Duster and if yes, would like to know of your views on this.
Old 2nd October 2013, 13:23   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
That is why the spec list doesn't indicate about the key-less feature for the Titanium variant.
One more aspect; did you compare Ecpspot with the Duster and if yes, would like to know of your views on this.
The Sept or Oct models have excluded this feature. I didnt compare it with the Duster. The only cars I compared are the ones I mentioned in the report.
Old 4th October 2013, 10:57   #59
BHPian

Congrats Naveenji!
The white looks good.
Hope you are having a nice time.

The MRF reporting was surprising to me .
Thank God I swapped to Good years before 100 kms.
Now absolutely no problem .
johannskaria is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2013, 12:30   #60
Senior - BHPian

Actually new tyres also have a run-in period and I feel that is around 300-1000 kms. You need to give it a bit of time for fresh rubber to slightly get used to the temperatures and moisture levels and absorb some salts to harden a bit for optimum condition. One can easily damage a new tyre in this run-in period. I have followed this while replacing the rear tyres with MRF ZLo and the front ones with Yoko A-drives, both of which are soft-compound 'new generation' tyres. MRF ZLos are good tyres and do check if you can get the MRF guys to replace those ZVTS with ZLos.

Also if tyre cuts and cracks are a fear then I would advise you to avoid Yokos and Michelins altogether and just stick to Conti or BS. Michelin also has this tyre sidewall cut issue due to the soft-compound nature of its tyres and seriously these are not the tyres that are meant to scrape against stones and rough edges that are found in Indian potholes and rough roads. Just take care to not take any undue risks and avoid these brands altogether.

Also maybe you could try hankook, because they have a good replacement policy. being new in market.

Last edited by lurker : 4th October 2013 at 12:36.
lurker is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks