Radiator
Dashboard
===========
Air con circulation system
Front brake discs and pads
Seat belts
Seat belt pre tensioners
Plastic panels inside the car

If I were you, I would let it go (fight for a total loss even if the surveyor tells it can be repaired).
Reason being, I can already see that the chassis is deformed (monocque shell is bent) and structural rigidity has been compromised. Not to mention so many things needing replacement.

For peace of mind I would.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 11th November 2013 at 15:52. Reason: Please avoid quoting full posts. Causes inconvenience to mobile device users. Thanks.
racer_m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2013, 13:46   #47
BHPian

Re: My Fiat Punto 90Hp Accident: Head-on collision with a Tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockporiom View Post
Sad to hear about your accident. Surprising to see that your and my accident details quiet match with each other in terms of the dates. Could you please mention if the engine was damaged in the impact? And can you tell by the pics if my car is a total loss? Need to ask as insurance guy is surveying my car tomorrow. Thanks in advance.
This car is no doubt a total loss. Even the best of surveyors can't comprehend repairing this car.

On this note, Shouldn't you be claiming the loss through other driver's insurance as they caused the accident and considering loss of lives in the accident, their has to FIR lodged. I would suggest you to explore this option since technically the other car's insurance should cover your losses and this will also ensure that legal liability of accident is accepted by the owners of other car.

We sometimes overlook this fact out of sympathy for the deceased but believe me many a times, legal cases are filed years later where you too could be made party since you have yourself accepted that you were driving at above speed limit (90Kmph) and are hence technically party to causing the accident.

Do ensure that you get written statement from other party relieving you of any involvement in the accident and same should be verified/attested by police in-charge of your case.
akhilesh51 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th November 2013, 13:53   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_m View Post
If I were you, I would let it go (fight for a total loss even if the surveyor tells it can be repaired).
Reason being, I can already see that the chassis is deformed (monocque shell is bent) and structural rigidity has been compromised.

For peace of mind I would.
I completely concur with racer-m

As far as I know there is only one computer aided chassis straightening machine in the whole of India and it belongs to the BMW shop in Mumbai or some city in Maharashtra. There are others but none of them will give you a true chassis. Plead with them for a total loss if even a bit of the monocoque is bent not only of the swift but also the Punto..
Old 11th November 2013, 14:01   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpullockaran View Post
there is only one computer aided chassis straightening machine in the whole of India
I have seen it in Renault's Cochin and Bangalore (whitefield) service centers.
::CMS:: is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2013, 14:13   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
And can you tell by the pics if my car is a total loss? Need to ask as insurance guy is surveying my car tomorrow.
Hello Rock,

This seems to be a very nasty accident. Hope all the passengers of your car were safe & escaped with minor or no injuries.

Reviewing at the long list of the parts that are required to be replaced, I am sure your car will go for total loss. Also looking at the damage to the car, it seems it will be better to let the car go as a total loss case rather than get it repaired.

The cost of getting the car repaired will be far more than 75% of the IDV & the insurance company will choose to pull the IDV amount & sell the car as scrap.

Thanks,
Old 11th November 2013, 16:14   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Sad to hear about your accident. Surprising to see that your and my accident details quiet match with each other in terms of the dates. Could you please mention if the engine was damaged in the impact? And can you tell by the pics if my car is a total loss? Need to ask as insurance guy is surveying my car tomorrow. Thanks in advance.

List of parts given by maruti guys
Its very sad to know about your accident. From the photos of your car and from the list of parts from Maruti, it looks like the damage to the car is severe. I have no doubt on the ability of a Maruti ASS to repair your car, I know they can (even a few Maruti ASC have chasis straightening machine). Time required may be as high as 3-4 months. But you may face a lot of niggles thereafter and you'll never have peace of mind with this car. My suggestion is to go for a total loss.

Last edited by mobike008 : 11th November 2013 at 16:22. Reason: Please DO NOT quote large posts for short replies. Thanks
Old 11th November 2013, 20:34   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
Its very sad to know about your accident. From the photos of your car and from the list of parts from Maruti, it looks like the damage to the car is severe. I have no doubt on the ability of a Maruti ASS to repair your car, I know they can (even a few Maruti ASC have chasis straightening machine). Time required may be as high as 3-4 months. But you may face a lot of niggles thereafter and you'll never have peace of mind with this car. My suggestion is to go for a total loss.
I don't intend to keep the car and am booking a new dzire zdi in same colour and number again. Lot of headche of R.T.O and police. Need to add makhan on the roti everywhere (if you get my point ).

Plus since no one has claimed the other car can't even claim from the other guy's insurance. Im seriously fed up with all of this.

Last edited by rockporiom : 11th November 2013 at 20:37.
Old 12th November 2013, 10:51   #53
BHPian

Quote:
I don't intend to keep the car and am booking a new dzire zdi in same colour and number again. Lot of headche of R.T.O and police. Need to add makhan on the roti everywhere (if you get my point ).

Plus since no one has claimed the other car can't even claim from the other guy's insurance. Im seriously fed up with all of this.
That would be the opt decision (to go for a new car). You would be able to retain the number ?.
Good to know that your father is safe despite injuries. How is he doing ?, do convey our best regards.
TheHkrish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2013, 12:05   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khilesh51 View Post
This car is no doubt a total loss. Even the best of surveyors can't comprehend repairing this car.

We sometimes overlook this fact out of sympathy for the deceased but believe me many a times, legal cases are filed years later where you too could be made party since you have yourself accepted that you were driving at above speed limit (90Kmph) and are hence technically party to causing the accident.

Do ensure that you get written statement from other party relieving you of any involvement in the accident and same should be verified/attested by police in-charge of your case.
I said it was 70 kph but after speaking to dad and seeing the stuck speedo it shows 60. Police has also confirmed that our speed was well within speed limit. And the driver of the other car was in triple digits. If I have written 90 anywhere please take it as a typo.
Old 13th November 2013, 22:25   #55
BHPian

Re: Let's Dzire again, but this time ZDi. My Maruti Dzire. EDIT: Totalled

The maruti guys say that it is not a total loss and are giving me an option for cash loss or repair. In cash loss I am losing nearly 2 lakhs and I have to clear the loan of 7 lakhs before the buyer takes over which is a big problem.

The total estimate is coming to a minimum of 4 lakhs. The engine is still alive but will need damage assessment and will have to be opened and they say they will replace all the damaged parts and straighten part of the chassis and replace the side which is bent. They are telling that I will have to spend 40k from my pocket for consumbales like coolant, gear oil, etc. Do consumables cost so much? And would also like to mention that I have 0 dep policy. Worst part is I will be losing my warranty after this repair. If there is any problem after repair which needs replacing will have to be paid by me. What is the point of M.A.S.S repair if there is no guarantee. Plus the person who caused the damage is not losing a penny and is getting compensation upto 10l because his car(accent) is total loss and 2 people have died. And my dad who was within speed limits and was wearing seat belts is facing a huge loss. Does that mean that they want someone to die to reduce their suffering? What is the point of following speed limits? What about the problems they caused to my dad?

Last edited by rockporiom : 13th November 2013 at 22:33.
rockporiom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th November 2013, 10:07   #56
BHPian

Quote:
The maruti guys say that it is not a total loss and are giving me an option for cash loss or repair. In cash loss I am losing nearly 2 lakhs and I have to clear the loan of 7 lakhs before the buyer takes over which is a big problem.

Buddy, are you sure about the part I highlighted in bold? A few months back, I had a major accident with my Ritz (see this link ). The damage was similar to yours only exception being airbags were not deployed (as it was not a head-on collision but a roll-over). The parts maruti mentioned as replacement for my car were same as for you (my engine was OK thankfully). I was also given an option from my insurance co. to go either for total loss OR for repairs. I had my auto-loan going on with HDFC. I was facing the dilemma: total loss or repair? Now, the insurance Co told me, if I'd declare total-loss, then the IDV of the car would be paid to the bank directly (after some deduction for insurance survey & processing charges). If there is some loan amount balance left, I have to pay that amount to the bank. So, if your outstanding loan amount is 7L and IDV of the car is 6.5L, then you need to pay balance 50K+ to the bank, rest would be taken care of by the insurance co. But this process may vary with different banks and insurance co. I suggest you discuss with your bank too about how the loan gets payed when total-loss is declared.

P.S.: I chose to repair and continue with the vehicle (decision was based on lot of emotional and financial factors). For me, it turned out to be a good decision (my FE actually increased after repairs !).

Last edited by ankan.m.blr : 14th November 2013 at 10:08.
Old 14th November 2013, 10:19   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
Buddy, are you sure about the part I highlighted in bold? A few months back, I had a major accident with my Ritz (see this link ). The damage was similar to yours only exception being airbags were not deployed (as it was not a head-on collision but a roll-over). The parts maruti mentioned as replacement for my car were same as for you (my engine was OK thankfully). I was also given an option from my insurance co. to go either for total loss OR for repairs. I had my auto-loan going on with HDFC. I was facing the dilemma: total loss or repair? Now, the insurance Co told me, if I'd declare total-loss, then the IDV of the car would be paid to the bank directly (after some deduction for insurance survey & processing charges). If there is some loan amount balance left, I have to pay that amount to the bank. So, if your outstanding loan amount is 7L and IDV of the car is 6.5L, then you need to pay balance 50K+ to the bank, rest would be taken care of by the insurance co. But this process may vary with different banks and insurance co. I suggest you discuss with your bank too about how the loan gets payed when total-loss is declared.

P.S.: I chose to repair and continue with the vehicle (decision was based on lot of emotional and financial factors). For me, it turned out to be a good decision (my FE actually increased after repairs !).

The major difference in your and my case is that they agreed for total loss in your case whereas they have agreed for cash loss in my case.

Last edited by rockporiom : 14th November 2013 at 10:47.
Old 14th November 2013, 10:36   #58
E63
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
He deserves a better car rather than a car with crumpled on impact. Remember life doesn't gives second chances to all.

A car is supossed to do just that.
There are crumple zones on the car.
And if a car doesnt absorb impact and crumble, it will transmit all the impact's force to the occupants.
E63 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th November 2013, 10:52   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
?
Buddy, I think you have to take to task the SA who is enthusiastic about generating a six digit bill for the repairs and fulfilling his monthly targets. If he thinks he can get the car back to stock form, tell him to give the same in writing that the vehicle will be back to perfect shape with zero niggles. My relative had been rear ended in a signal. A truck hit his omni from behind which sent the car rolling onto its side. The estimate was not satisfying for total loss. The chassis had to be straightened. Then we demanded that the SA should assure in writing that the car will be back to it's original form after repairs. Then the estinate was changed to include a new body shell. Hence it crossed the IDV of the car and declared a total loss.

I think you can do the same and give a try.
Old 14th November 2013, 10:55   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by E63 View Post
A car is supossed to do just that.
There are crumple zones on the car.
And if a car doesnt absorb impact and crumble, it will transmit all the impact's force to the occupants.
Let's Dzire again, but this time ZDi. My Maruti Dzire. EDIT: Totalled-img_2013110716208.jpg

I have highlighted the portions where the car has crumpled. My question is this supposed to happen? A safe monocoque will have minimal to nil impact on the passenger shell, which has happened in this case. Compare this with the Accent (pic posted by @rockporiom) & Punto's shell in the Accident's in India thread & you will understand what I am pointing out to.

Rockporiom is it possible that you may post more pics of the Accent .
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks