Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st November 2013, 09:34   #91
Senior - BHPian

re: Got Fortune'd: White Toyota Fortuner Edit: Sold!

One thing to be added here from my side to the must change list for TKML, apart from the beading (only item so far from me !), is the stepney/jack tool. Though I had mentioned it on Admiral's thread much earlier wonder how I forgot about it here. And last Sunday's episode with Admiral certainly jogged the aging memory. It should be replaced as a standard issue tool by a far more robust/well designed three piece tool or a single piece tool with a good stowage cover & fastners.
The reason's here with snaps:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...sails-131.html

Last edited by Guderian : 21st November 2013 at 09:37.
Guderian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2013, 11:12   #92
Senior - BHPian

Good point, Guderian.

Refreshed list is below:

Areas of Improvement for Toyota Fortuner:

1. Steering wheel to more chunkier and softer
2. Horn pad can be extended to make it within a 'thumb"s reach'
3. Driver arm rest should be soft and extendible
4. Sun visors can have extenders
5. Head lamps high beam needs to be more powerful
6. Driver side wiper makes rubbing noise when used on low drizzle
7. Rear wiper wash spray to be a 'spray' and not water trickling down the glass
8. The side view mirror adjustment buttons(and others in that console) needs to be backlit
9. Head rests to be tiltable to provide the 'right' support
10. Rear parking sensors should be standard fitment
11. Suspension tuning for improving the ride comfort
12. Improve the quality of door and window beedings
13. Seat cushioning and ergonomics is a MUST improvement area
14. More robust/well designed three piece stepney/jack tool or a single piece tool with a good stowage cover & fastners.
getsurya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2013, 16:00   #93
Senior - BHPian

The sunday saw me taking the BOSS to its first long drive(380km round trip) from Hyderabad to Warangal. This was with the TBHP Hyd chapter members, who are an active lot!

The car performed well and I was careful not to maintain the same speed(can we do that on our highways, anyways!) and gave the speed bursts, it required. The highway manners of the car left me very satisfied and had a hair raising sudden braking incident on a turning, when a bus hurtled on to me on his wrong side! BOSS stuck to its ground very firmly in a straight line and was very yielding to the sharp steering inputs. I did not notice any excessive pitching, nose diving, fish tailing or any other issues.

The power was always available and overtaking was a breeze.

Couple of things that were left to be desired:

1. Missing "Cruise control"
2. Fog lamps are not effective for highways, have to upgrade these!

The mileage returned was 10.45kmpl.

Some pictures for your viewing pleasure.
Attached Thumbnails
Got Fortune'd: White Toyota Fortuner Edit: Sold!-wgl-1.jpg  

Got Fortune'd: White Toyota Fortuner Edit: Sold!-wgl-2.jpg  

Got Fortune'd: White Toyota Fortuner Edit: Sold!-wgl-3.jpg  

getsurya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th November 2013, 22:22   #94
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by getsurya View Post
The sunday saw me taking the BOSS to its first long drive(380km round trip) from Hyderabad to Warangal.
Damn, I missed this meet as I was working on a Sunday too!

Quote:
BOSS stuck to its ground very firmly in a straight line and was very yielding to the sharp steering inputs. I did not notice any excessive pitching, nose diving, fish tailing or any other issues.
This is good behaviour for a size that your BOSS is of! I was expecting body roll and pitching like a car set up on leaf springs!

Quote:
The power was always available and overtaking was a breeze.
You still doubts on power delivery and road presence?!

Quote:
Couple of things that were left to be desired:

1. Missing "Cruise control"
Cruise control missing! You'll have to live with that but the fogs can be given a push up wards (upgrade). Why don't you ask Toyota for this upgrade as they may say it will void warranty if done outside.

Quote:
The mileage returned was 10.45 kmpl.
That is a nice one for that size.

PS: The second picture where Rider60's Punto is in front was shot from the drivers seat?

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th November 2013, 17:24   #95
Senior - BHPian

Hi Anurag,

It would have been great if you could have made it, happens sometimes! Hoping to see you around for the next TBHP drive meet.

Toyota does not have any upgrades for the fog lamps at OEM level. Will look around for alternatives and then decide.

Quote:
PS: The second picture where Rider60's Punto is in front was shot from the drivers seat?

Yes, it is indeed Yash's hot red Punto!
Old 27th November 2013, 17:59   #96
BHPian

10.45 kmpl is low I would say, I recently did my trip to Jaipur full time A/c last month and clocked 12.7 to 13.5 range. mine is 4*4 and driven only 9k till now.
Old 27th November 2013, 22:48   #97
BANNED

Quote:
Yes, it is indeed Yash's hot red Punto!
I was by the view the driver has from the drivers seat of the Fortuner! Simply fantastic. You are almost looking over the roof of the Punto!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam003 View Post
10.45 kmpl is low I would say, I recently did my trip to Jaipur full time A/c last month and clocked 12.7 to 13.5 range. mine is 4*4 and driven only 9k till now.
Can I know what speeds were you maintaining on the highway with the A/C ON all time?!

Anurag.
Old 27th November 2013, 23:40   #98
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Hi Surya, Fog lamps have reflectors that are designed to throw a low intensity beam just a few meters ahead of the vehicle very low. All OEM fog lamps are designed like this.

The reason is that under heavy fog the water particles reflect the light back reducing vision. In such cases you cannot use the headlamps and need to have a fog lamp that will through enough light just below the vehicle without it reflecting back into your eyes. In India, we tend to use the term fog lamp for all auxiliary lights. For additional light on highways, you need to go for good driving lamps like Hella 3000s or 4000s.

I have Ralley 4000s that are wired through the high beam with an additional swtich, so when I turn this switch on and put on my high beams, the aux lights come on. When switch to low beam it goes off. This way my auxiliary lights won't be a problem for oncoming traffic as they don't work when I am in low beam.
4x4addict is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th November 2013, 09:24   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Sam003, My car has done less than 2000km on the odometer for this trip. I guess the mileage shall go up as the car runs more and also post 2nd servicing etc. Great numbers you have got there on your ride.

Quote:
I was by the view the driver has from the drivers seat of the Fortuner! Simply fantastic. You are almost looking over the roof of the Punto!
Most of the SUV's offer this fantastic driving view, which is addictive and makes me feel little insecured in a sedan now

Quote:
In India, we tend to use the term fog lamp for all auxiliary lights. For additional light on highways, you need to go for good driving lamps like Hella 3000s or 4000s.
Appreciate your inputs, all I expect from the fog lamps is a better spread on the road than what they offer currently(my Ford Explorer in US had a smaller reflector, but a very good on the ground spread). This will enable me to see the road corners clearly, especially during high way drives.

I already have Hella 500 FF's for that long spread/visibility which is sufficient(as of now!).
Old 28th November 2013, 14:54   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post

Can I know what speeds were you maintaining on the highway with the A/C ON all time?!

Anurag.
Generally between 100-110. Never ever saw anything less than 12 in my MID. If I reset and drive on 80 km/hr it shows 14.5 some time, which actually gave me shock

Just got my 10K service done an hr back. With Oil, Oil Filter, and wheen balancing/Alignment/Rotation, it costed Rs 3044/- Though certain things are free under warranty. But hatts off to Toyota, my polo cost near 15-18k each service.

Last edited by sam003 : 28th November 2013 at 14:57.
sam003 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2013, 15:29   #101
BANNED

Quote:
Generally between 100-110. Never ever saw anything less than 12 in my MID. If I reset and drive on 80 km/hr it shows 14.5 some time, which actually gave me shock
That is good one buddy but I don't think Surya's T-Fort would have been maintaining the speeds between 90-110 kmph as it is a busy highway and no stretch on that road was cruisable continuously to get a better mileage and moreover his car is only 3K on the ODO so it will better once the ODO ticks 5K+ kms. The engine is just setting-in. Lets wait for the report once the car crosses 5K kms.

Quote:
Hi Sam003, My car has done less than 2000km on the odometer for this trip. I guess the mileage shall go up as the car runs more and also post 2nd servicing etc.
Quote:
Just got my 10K service done an hr back. With Oil, Oil Filter, and wheen balancing/Alignment/Rotation, it costed Rs 3044/- Though certain things are free under warranty. But hatts off to Toyota, my polo cost near 15-18k each service.
15-18k EACH SERVICE?

Are you sure the figure for the Polo service is correctly typed? Which Polo is it?

Anurag.

Last edited by a4anurag : 28th November 2013 at 15:30.
Old 28th November 2013, 16:16   #102
BHPian

yes last time I paid 19K though they changed shocker rubber and some rodd, if I take those parts it is still 13-14K. Mine is Polo TDI 1.2. Really frustrated with unnecessary wearing of parts, as we drive only in city with very low 30-40 km a day on an average.
Old 29th November 2013, 00:25   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
yes last time I paid 19K though they changed shocker rubber and some rodd, if I take those parts it is still 13-14K. Mine is Polo TDI 1.2. Really frustrated with unnecessary wearing of parts, as we drive only in city with very low 30-40 km a day on an average.

Totally agree with you sam003.

VW s are known for their extremely high maintenance
My friend has petrol polo 1.2 and Pays 12 to 15k per service and more over has to wait for 3 to 4 days for delivery for a regular service.

He keeps sharing "this rubber gone that rubber gone"

Where as Japanese products especially Toyota and Honda are bulletproof and a pleasure to maintain.

PS:very well composed thread getsurya.I am in love your fortuner and beware you may have to trade it in with my ecosport one day
ecosport rules is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2013, 01:07   #104
BANNED

Quote:
Now that is bad from VW. I am in the market for replacement of my Ritz VDi (Dec 2010 model) that had clocked 1.05L kms. Was thinking of Polo GT TDI or the New swift ZDi.

Your post has made things simpler for me. Just waiting for the new swift to be launched.

Thanks Sam.

Cheers,
Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2013, 09:03   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
PS:very well composed thread getsurya.I am in love your fortuner and beware you may have to trade it in with my ecosport one day
Thank you Doc, for your compliments. Trade for a day- is fine

Quote:
Your post has made things simpler for me. Just waiting for the new swift to be launched.
Now that the dilemma has been put to rest, can I humbly request you all to come back to my thread.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks