Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th October 2013, 12:20   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Pre-worshipped Honda Civic V A/T - "CeeVee"

I had given my car yesterday to Linkway Honda for a general health check up and with the following issues:

1) Driver ORVM jerks while electrically retracted - They told me that the turnset has to replaced. Its a minor complaint, so I asked him to ignore that.

2) Rear seat misaligned - Rectified.

3) Broken charging point - This was my priority as I need to charge my phone. The SA told me that its better I get it done from outside! I told him I will not mess with the electrical parts as the car is under extended warranty. He promised me to arrange for the part.

After the checkup, the SA suggested the following -

A) Both front wheel bearings noisy - Needs to be replaced. I agreed that it can be replaced in upcoming service at my cost since they are a wear and tear item.

B) Play in inner ball joint - SA said it is not necessary to be attended now.

C) Front RHS engine mounting weak - Assured me that it will be replaced under warranty.

D) Leak in power steering pump and rack - SA told me that its urgent and I will have to spend 30k to get it replaced. I told him that my car is under extended warranty and he claims that the steering rack and pump can be replaced in the first two years, not under extended warranty. I told him to confirm this, else I will approach Honda regarding this. After this, he assured me that he will directly send a mail to Honda with my part number and try to cover this under warranty. He has asked me to call back after a week.

Last edited by raj_5004 : 16th October 2013 at 12:24.
Old 17th October 2013, 12:29   #32
Senior - BHPian

This is what happens when you leave your Civic at the A.S.S. -
Attached Thumbnails
Pre-worshipped Honda Civic V A/T - "CeeVee"-dsc_1689.jpg  

Old 24th October 2013, 11:47   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
A) Both front wheel bearings noisy - Needs to be replaced. I agreed that it can be replaced in upcoming service at my cost since they are a wear and tear item.

B) Play in inner ball joint - SA said it is not necessary to be attended now.

C) Front RHS engine mounting weak - Assured me that it will be replaced under warranty.

D) Leak in power steering pump and rack - SA told me that its urgent and I will have to spend 30k to get it replaced. I told him that my car is under extended warranty and he claims that the steering rack and pump can be replaced in the first two years, not under extended warranty. I told him to confirm this, else I will approach Honda regarding this. After this, he assured me that he will directly send a mail to Honda with my part number and try to cover this under warranty. He has asked me to call back after a week.

Update on the above issues:

Called the Honda A.S.S. yesterday and the SA politely informed me that points C & D will be replaced under warranty.

He said it will take a week for him to arrange for the parts, including the broken charging point.

Now, I am happy!

But at the same time, the question still remains - what is the so called Japanese quality and reliability all about? Irrespective of the fact that the parts are being replaced under warranty, if so many parts are failing within 29k, I dont think I would call them "high quality parts".
Old 24th October 2013, 12:38   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Planning to get the Mindas on the XUV as well.
Better try Hella Red Grills on the XUV, it will be better for the highways.
Sommos is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2013, 11:24   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Update on the above issues:

Called the Honda A.S.S. yesterday and the SA politely informed me that points C & D will be replaced under warranty.

He said it will take a week for him to arrange for the parts, including the broken charging point.

Now, I am happy!
In an upturn of these events, the SE from Honda called me yesterday and informed me that the said parts wont be covered in warranty but has to be claimed from my insurance!

I have written a disappointing email to Honda -

Quote:
Dear Sir/Madam,

My name is Rajeev Nair and I am the owner of a Honda Civic Automatic. My car's registration number is MH-**-**-****.

Recently I had given my car to Linkway Honda (Chandivali) for a general health check up. My car was diagnosed with the following issues -

1) Leaking steering pump and rack

2) Weak engine mounts

3) Noise in front wheel bearings

Now, I am definitely aware that points 1 and 2 are a common issue with Honda Civics. Infact most of the service centres are replacing it under warranty and rightly so.

Linkway Honda refused to honour my warranty claim, initially asking me to pay Rs. 30000/- for a problem which is clearly a manufacturing defect. When I pressed them for warranty, the second option given to me was claiming it under insurance!

1) I dont understand how claiming the said parts under insurance is even possible as these are not "accidental parts".

2) Secondly, claiming these parts under insurance means eventually I am paying for them out of my own pocket as I am paying the insurance premiums, not Honda.

3) Finally, my car is under warranty. I dont understand why should there be any dispute regarding replacing a part which is clearly a manufacturing defect and not a wear and tear item.

Disappointingly, initially I was asked by Linkway to wait for two weeks under the assurance that these parts (steering pump, rack and engine mounts) will be replaced under warranty. They even told me that the part numbers have been sent to Honda for warranty claim. And now I have been told to take insurance!!!

At the same time, even front wheel bearings are a common issue with Civic. I dont understand how can a wheel bearing fail within 30000 kms? Again, if this was a one off case in my car, you could have attributed it to rough use, but if many cars need to change their front bearings. Is this the so-called reliability and quality of Honda? But since wheel bearings are a wear and tear item (which can fail), I am not asking for warranty.

But steering rack, steering pump and engine mounts are clearly a common issue with Civics (in other words, manufacturing defects) and it would be fair if Honda replaces it under warranty.

I am sending this mail to you with a hope that I will get a positive reply to this issue soon. Please reply to me through email instead of telephonic calls.

Thanking You.
I have received their standard reply as follows-

Quote:
Dear Mr. Nair,

This is in reference to your trailing communication.

We sincerely regret to learn of your feedback.

We are understanding the details of the matter from our dealership M/s Linkway Honda, Mumbai and request you to kindly bear with us. In the meanwhile,we are advising our dealership to get in touch with you and address your concern.

For any further concern/query, please contact us at 1800-113-121 or 011-39898918.

Assuring you the best of our services at all times.
Old 31st October 2013, 11:41   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In an upturn of these events, the SE from Honda called me yesterday and informed me that the said parts wont be covered in warranty but has to be claimed from my insurance!
Hi Raj,

Sad to note that the CeeVee is going through this grind. I hope the issues get resolved to your satisfaction and you start enjoing the ride.
Old 31st October 2013, 15:19   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by getsurya View Post
Hi Raj,

Sad to note that the CeeVee is going through this grind. I hope the issues get resolved to your satisfaction and you start enjoing the ride.
I got a call from the Deputy Service Manager of Linkway Honda that the term "insurance" was a mis-communication. Insurance here means Honda's extended warranty and not my insurance cover on the car.

He has agreed to replace the mounts under warranty. For the steering rack and pump, he said they will send the pics and part numbers to Honda and wait for their confirmation.

Overall, I am happy that Honda has given me a prompt and definite reply. The car will be sent to the service centre on 11th, I will update accordingly.
raj_5004 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2013, 14:06   #38
Senior - BHPian

Installed Rockstar floor mats (3D Maxspider imitation!) in CeeVee as mentioned here.
Old 2nd November 2013, 19:43   #39
BANNED

Quote:
By the way, I slightly scraped the bumper at a very very low speed causing the chip in the paint in the front bumper as shown in pics above. And the bumper did snap out of the corners.
Why don't you raise the ride height a bit to at least surpass the speed breakers in Mumbai? I mean not like 6' heels but a bit more than stock. I guess I have read here on Team-BHP for a height rise for the Civic.

Quote:
Talking about braking distances, I had a couple of scary moments... A/Ts just dont stop the way you expect them to.
A brakes upgrade planned?

Anurag.
Old 2nd November 2013, 19:58   #40
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Talking about braking distances, I had a couple of scary moments... A/Ts just dont stop the way you expect them to.
Seems to be a generic Honda problem - Weak brakes.

I don't know when the last time was that you changed your pads, but if due soon get replacement pads from a company like Hawk, or EBC. There are reasonably cheap in the US. If this is not an option then stick to OE pads.

Also for now get your brakes cleaned, brake discs resurfaced or skimmed, and the brakes bled. Also change the brake fluid to Dot 4 Plus (you will have to buy aftermarket), even though this is a higher grade than recommended it does help in avoiding brake fade.

After this you should find the braking better and you being able to judge braking distances much better.

Will cost maybe 2-3k if you are not changing pads, but certainly worth it.

If you want send your car to Arya Honda at Lalbaug. The service manager there is a great guy and he will take care of your car.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2013, 20:33   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Installed Rockstar floor mats (3D Maxspider imitation!) in CeeVee as mentioned here.
Hi Rajeev

How are these as compared to the 3D Maxpider ones? I suppose you have the 3D in the XUV right? Do these also have a velcro strip at the bottom?

Cheers!
Swaroop
Old 3rd November 2013, 10:54   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Why don't you raise the ride height a bit to at least surpass the speed breakers in Mumbai? I mean not like 6' heels but a bit more than stock. I guess I have read here on Team-BHP for a height rise for the Civic.
I am having no problems with the speed breakers in Mumbai. The only one I have scraped is one in Raigad.

By the way, I am curious. How do I increase the ride height? Change of tyres or suspension?

Quote:
A brakes upgrade planned?
No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Seems to be a generic Honda problem - Weak brakes.

I don't know when the last time was that you changed your pads, but if due soon get replacement pads from a company like Hawk, or EBC. There are reasonably cheap in the US. If this is not an option then stick to OE pads.

Hi Akshay, how are you?

As per the service history which I have, this car has never got the brake pads changed. The odo now shows 30k and I will change it at about 40k. Yes, I will stick to the OE stuff.

Quote:
Also for now get your brakes cleaned, brake discs resurfaced or skimmed, and the brakes bled. Also change the brake fluid to Dot 4 Plus (you will have to buy aftermarket), even though this is a higher grade than recommended it does help in avoiding brake fade.

Quote:
If you want send your car to Arya Honda at Lalbaug. The service manager there is a great guy and he will take care of your car.
I am currently sending my car to Linkway Honda. I have just been there once and I even spoke to the service manager a few days back. Seems to be a great chap and he has called me on 11th. Let's see how it goes. Linkway is just 2 mins from my office and hence is preferable. However, if they are not taking care of my car, I will think about changing the A.S.S. and also some competent individual garages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarooppatil View Post
Hi Rajeev

How are these as compared to the 3D Maxpider ones? I suppose you have the 3D in the XUV right? Do these also have a velcro strip at the bottom?

Cheers!
Swaroop
Hi Swaroop,

Yes, these ones have velcro straps to hold them in place. Anyways, they are a tight fit and wont move around. They dont foul with the accelerator pedal either.

Compared to 3D, the quality is almost the same but the fitting is a notch below, but not a major difference. Anyways, I have read somewhere in this forum that even 3D mats are not a perfect fit in the Civic.

Overall, 3D is good but this is more Value for Money. I do recommend these maps. Since you stay nearby, you can have a look at my car sometimes and then decide.
Old 3rd November 2013, 11:25   #43
BANNED

Quote:
I am having no problems with the speed breakers in Mumbai. The only one I have scraped is one in Raigad.
Take care of the speed breakers buddy. You have got a gem in your hands. Total drool worthy car and the beauty doesn't fade with age. Hats off to Honda for such an elegant design. Wish I can my hands on a 1.8 S MT (Not a fan of auto box).

Quote:
By the way, I am curious. How do I increase the ride height? Change of tyres or suspension?
I guess you would be following this thread silently but just a refresh.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...uspension.html

Anurag.
Old 3rd November 2013, 11:29   #44
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Hi Akshay, how are you?

As per the service history which I have, this car has never got the brake pads changed. The odo now shows 30k and I will change it at about 40k. Yes, I will stick to the OE stuff.
Good thank you

How did you arrive at the 40k km figure? Have you got them checked? If you are finding the braking weak then why wait 10k more kms?
Old 3rd November 2013, 18:09   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post

I guess you would be following this thread silently but just a refresh.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...uspension.html

Anurag.
Well, like GTO mentioned in that thread, that mod is essential for the older Civics. I have the face lifted Civic which already comes with a stiffened rear suspension.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
How did you arrive at the 40k km figure? Have you got them checked? If you are finding the braking weak then why wait 10k more kms?
The brakes are not really weak, it's just that the pedal needs a firmer/harder push when compared to other cars.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks