Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2017, 14:26   #61
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: My white bulldog: Renault Duster 85 RxL (O)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ::CMS:: View Post
In continuation to the DIY sound proofing, I got the following items from eBay.com

EPDM rubber strips, comes with 3M double sided tape

- 5Nos x 4M (20M) BigD strip : 2199/-
- 1Nos x 4M SmallD strip : 393/-
- 1Nos x 4M ZType strip : 472/-
- 1Nos x 4M PType strip : 678/-
Total : 3742/-.

Imp: The surface should be cleaned thoroughly with a good de-greaser, I used Meguiar's APC and dried before applying.
Thanks a lot for the detailed post. After being on the fence for a long time, I am planning to do the same on my '13 Scorpio. But, I'm not really sure, which strip to use where! From the description on Aliexpress and your posts, I gather the P-Type should be used at the base of all the doors, and Z type on the front doors front portion. How did you decide between small D, and big D, where to put what? And secondly, should these be applied on the body or the door? Did you not apply them on the hatch door?
Old 19th October 2017, 01:28   #62
Senior - BHPian

Re: DIY Soundproofing : My white bulldog: Renault Duster 85 RxL (O)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ::CMS:: View Post

Following EPDM rubber weather strip seals are ordered online:
- 5Nos x 4M (20M) BigD strip (http://www.ebay.com/itm/321874591022…)
- 1Nos x 4M SmallD strip (http://www.ebay.com/itm/301223943010…)
- 1Nos x 4M ZType strip (http://www.ebay.com/itm/261571804957…)
- 1Nos x 4M PType strip (http://www.ebay.com/itm/361082933601…)
How does one figure out which shape to use? I assume size is based on the clearance
Old 25th October 2017, 19:34   #63
BHPian

Sorry, I didnt notice your posts as I am not frequent here.

That was my initial design and underwent a lot of iterations and improvised a lot. Also its applicable only for Gen 1 Dusters. The design for each generation is different. Also a lot of changes were incorporated in the above mentioned 3 stages and added 2 more. Currently there are 5 stages. All stages are inter related wrt functionality and hence all are imp. By doing only one stage, dont expect a big change.

I think the images in the previous posts shows which strip goes where. The main criteria for choosing a particular strip is the gap (paper tightness test) and the strip shape should not create another air pocket and lead to more wind noise. Also the strips should be chosen that it needs less adjustment to the door striker and hinge.

Since there is no option in India for soundproofing (aftermarket options end with damping), based on the request from the members of another duster club, I am helping them in getting their cars soundproofed (few are driving down from Mumbai,Hyd and KL). Many members from here itself have done and one among them have compared the NVH level to his own Volvo SUV.

Last edited by ::CMS:: : 25th October 2017 at 19:45.
::CMS:: is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2018, 20:45   #64

Hello CMS,

Just went through the wonderful interiors of the Bull Dog, and what a great job it is. Kindly do share contact details of Imperial Leathers, if you do have. Muchhos Gracias !!
Old 1st February 2019, 17:32   #65

Hello CMS,

I have gone through your thread for noise dampening your Duster. I also have an 2016 AWD Duster and wanted to do it. Could you help me as well to do sound proofing? I am located in Bangalore (JP Nagar).

Regards,
Baiz72
Baiz72 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2019, 13:47   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baiz72 View Post
Hello CMS,

I have gone through your thread for noise dampening your Duster. I also have an 2016 AWD Duster and wanted to do it. Could you help me as well to do sound proofing? I am located in Bangalore (JP Nagar).

Regards,
Baiz72
You can PM me. For more details you can search for autoInnovationsbycms in google or fb.

Most Viewed