Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 13th October 2015, 19:03   #1966
BHPian

I don't understand why they would deliver the car the next day. The 6 month or 7.5 k checkup is a minor check. All they do is check for oil levels, leaks or any error codes. My car had that done and competed in 2-3 hrs time. Even for service I hand over the car around 9.30 am and pick it by 1 pm. All I do Is request my SA to just do service as the cAr is just perfect to drive. I also stay behind and keep an eye on what they do. I guess spending 3 hrs with the car is money and time well spent
Old 13th October 2015, 19:28   #1967
Senior - BHPian

re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by v_2rahjo View Post
I don't understand why they would deliver the car the next day. The 6 month or 7.5 k checkup is a minor check. All they do is check for oil levels, leaks or any error codes. My car had that done and competed in 2-3 hrs time. Even for service I hand over the car around 9.30 am and pick it by 1 pm. All I do Is request my SA to just do service as the cAr is just perfect to drive. I also stay behind and keep an eye on what they do. I guess spending 3 hrs with the car is money and time well spent
Its the same with VW also, They want to keep the car for a day even for the normal 7500 Km checkup! Toyota on the other hand promises a full service in a couple of hours while you wait at the service centre itself!
Old 14th October 2015, 08:06   #1968
BHPian

It all depends on individuals as with everything in the service industry, my advisor has sent a technician home 3 times in two weeks to fix a rattling issue just so that I'm not hassled. Or maybe Fahrenheit Skoda in Delhi have just upped their game
Old 14th October 2015, 08:29   #1969
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanveer_2558 View Post
Its the same with VW also, They want to keep the car for a day even for the normal 7500 Km checkup! Toyota on the other hand promises a full service in a couple of hours while you wait at the service centre itself!

Sorry forgot to mention in my earlier post that i own a Laura and I was talking about her service time and that I was never asked to leave her for the night for normal service.

She had alway been to Giriraj motors Gurgaon.
v_2rahjo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2015, 13:41   #1970
BHPian

Can anyone shed some light on octavia AT parts costs? Im planning to buy one 2007 automatic diesel one. It has covered 60000kms so far. Help please. Dad and I have opposing views. Im for it and he is being amrish puri about it.
Old 14th October 2015, 13:51   #1971
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozen Heat View Post
Can anyone shed some light on octavia AT parts costs? Im planning to buy one 2007 automatic diesel one. It has covered 60000kms so far. Help please. Dad and I have opposing views. Im for it and he is being amrish puri about it.
You are talking about the old one with a torque converter gearbox. That gearbox is reliable. You also do not have the issue of expensive clutch replacements It should be fine for town but being a 4 speed, but it may not be that great on the highway. The 1.9TDi engine is reliable and unstressed. It all depends on how well it has been maintained. Check front suspension and brakes as well as AC compressor.
Old 14th October 2015, 19:24   #1972
BHPian

Hi,
Just back from a 800km trip - Bangalore to Pondicherry. The car performed well and remained completely undemanding! The highways are good and could drive at a steady click. Engaged the cruise control whenever possible-keeping it set at 100-110km/h, returned fuel efficiency figures of 17.5km/l.
I noticed an unexpected change in the MaxiDot display (the one between the dials in front of the driver). Cycling between options on "Driving Data" would show a digital readout of real time speed. That particular bit of data is missing-the rest average speed, fuel consumption, oil temperature, a/c use etc are all there. It used to be convenient to use this digital real time speedometer to set the cruise control- it is now missing.
(The car had a software update sometime ago-when it went in for it's annual maintenance and service-this is mentioned on the invoice).
Is this standard ?
docsr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2015, 10:49   #1973
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by docsr View Post
Hi,
Just back from a 800km trip - Bangalore to Pondicherry. The car performed well and remained completely undemanding! The highways are good and could drive at a steady click. Engaged the cruise control whenever possible-keeping it set at 100-110km/h, returned fuel efficiency figures of 17.5km/l.
I noticed an unexpected change in the MaxiDot display (the one between the dials in front of the driver). Cycling between options on "Driving Data" would show a digital readout of real time speed. That particular bit of data is missing-the rest average speed, fuel consumption, oil temperature, a/c use etc are all there. It used to be convenient to use this digital real time speedometer to set the cruise control- it is now missing.
(The car had a software update sometime ago-when it went in for it's annual maintenance and service-this is mentioned on the invoice).
Is this standard ?
Hi, how much are you getting in BLR traffic?
Old 15th October 2015, 22:36   #1974
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Hi,
My within-bangalore city-driving is pretty minimal. I get about 10.5-11km/l during the usual city runs. But, please note, that these are usually on weekends.
Old 16th October 2015, 05:48   #1975

The TPM indicator started glowing the day before yesterday. I checked the wheels manually the old school way for any punctures or low air pressure. Seemed fine, so proceeded with my travel (includes the Eastern Freeway en route), within about 3 mins of driving at 100-110 kph the indicator went off. It's off till now.
Q1. Is this an electronic glitch?
Q2. Was it a genuine alarm, and because of the friction heat generated while driving the air inside expanded making the TPM indicator quiet for a while?
Old 16th October 2015, 18:12   #1976
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Here is the long term reading on the car data on the central console.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-img_2943.jpg  

Old 16th October 2015, 20:45   #1977
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashurulz View Post
The TPM indicator started glowing the day before yesterday. I checked the wheels manually the old school way for any punctures or low air pressure. Seemed fine, so proceeded with my travel (includes the Eastern Freeway en route), within about 3 mins of driving at 100-110 kph the indicator went off. It's off till now.
Q1. Is this an electronic glitch?
Q2. Was it a genuine alarm, and because of the friction heat generated while driving the air inside expanded making the TPM indicator quiet for a while?
It is neither. It is a genuine false alarm. TPMS on the Octavia doesn't work by directly detecting pressure. Instead it detects difference in pressure indirectly by checking for wheel's rotation with respect to each other. This can temporarily cause TPMS warnings when the onboard computer thinks one wheel is rotating faster than the other. This can happen when you are accelerating fast and one tire fails to grip as much as the other which can happen on winding sections.
phreakv6 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2015, 10:12   #1978
BHPian

Yesterday I have visited Autobahn Andheri to check on the new Skoda Octavia. The good news is that the waiting periods have come down to 4 weeks and the sales executive said it may be possible to get a car even within two weeks.

The bad news is that prices seems to have gone up across the board. Ex-showroom Mumbai (including octroi) for 1.4TSI Ambition is 16.76 lacs and for 1.8TSI Elegence is 20.28. There is a fifty thousand rupees difference between the quoted price at the skoda website and quoted by the showroom (when I compare the ex-showroom non octroi prices at Thane) for eg: The website quotes. The same is reflected across all models. Is it normal?
Old 23rd October 2015, 14:09   #1979
Distinguished - BHPian

Strange, no discrepancy in Bangalore. Website and showroom prices are identical. Rumour is that Elegance will be done away with and the variants will be Style and Style Plus. Latter is the anniversary edition.
Old 23rd October 2015, 16:52   #1980
BHPian

I just had a chat with the dealer again. Now he claims that the difference between website price and ex-showroom price quoted by him will be given as a discount. However, his quote for registration tax is based on the full price. I have a feeling that the entire pricing mechanism is opaque and loading applied by at all levels. I think, I need to ask them for a detailed break up of all government related charges and fees when I finalise the purchase.

Most Viewed