Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 26th October 2016, 20:20   #2431
BHPian

re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
Starfire, pretty sure the older Superb had 1.8 TSI 160 bhp 250 NM torque. The TDI models had 140 bhp and 320 nm. Even the manual 1.8 TSI Superb/Laura in the 2011-12 period had 250 nm torque.

Even the Facelift Superb had the same specs.

Currently the latest Superb is again 1.8 TSI but with 180 Ps and 250 NM torque.
Sorry, must have confused to old specs with the new ones. Yes the new one has 320NM.
Old 26th October 2016, 20:25   #2432
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Just to understand better, are you saying the DSG knocks while accelerating from slow D2 speeds or while decelerating?
While accelerating. Deceleration is fine. And it's the DSG clutch, not the engine. How many kms has your Polo done? Mine was fine till @15000km or so. Then this started happening once in a while and now since last few months (say after @25000 km or so) it's more frequent and pronounced.

And because it's from the gearbox/clutch, it's nothing to do with petrol quality. My Laura TSi will soon be 7 years old and has been running fine on regular petrol. No engine knocking whatsoever. I was cusrsing Skoda back in 2010 for not offering the DSG on the TSi Laura but I guess it's turned out to be a blessing in disguise. All the laura has needed so far is regular servicing, it's been super reliable.

Note: Oil consumption is another story. 1.8 TSi has been consuming oil and I have been topping it up in between the service intervals. 1.2 TSi seems to be ok. I never had to top up the oil in my Polo ever. Both cars are driven enthusiastically!
Old 26th October 2016, 23:05   #2433

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starfire View Post
Hey there brother,

The 1.8TSI + 7Speed DSG is a lethal combo. Yes the DQ200 is notorious to faliures however Skoda has done a few things from their end to prevent overheating from its launch in 2013, one of them being changing the oil that used to cause large amounts of sulphur deposition causing overheating, apart from that there are some things you can do to preserve the gearbox life as well.

Hope this helps and yes do not forget to opt for the 4 year service and maintenance package. Its worth the buy and ensures peace of mind.

Cheers!

Starfire.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
Not entirely accurate. The 30 second idle rule before switching it off is to give a chance for the hot oil and coolant(if any) in and around the turbo to move away. Otherwise the hot oil in the CHRA will coke up and cause issues in the future. Basically the 30 seconds is a chance for the turbo to cool itself and for that, you need to keep the engine running so that the oil pump and water pump are running to keep the oil and coolant circulating.

The turbo RPM drops very quickly when you are off boost and has nothing to do with you idling the car.

Thank you so much for the advise. I called my dealer up and asked him to cancel the booking. He says its non refundable because petrol buyers are quite less. It seems like i am stuck with this. I will have to drive carefully.
The only thing i can hope is if i can convince him to put clutch under warranty. *Fingers crossed* ��

NOTE FROM T-BHP SUPPORT: Please avoid quoting the entire post as it may inconvenience small screen / mobile users. Use only the relevant portions of the post you wish to quote instead. Thanks.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 26th October 2016 at 23:39. Reason: trimming quoted post
Old 26th October 2016, 23:21   #2434
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starfire View Post
Nope you're wrong. The old Superb had the same gearbox in the 1.8 TSI and used to produce 320NM of torque. Crossing the threshold limit is what made it so prone to faliures. Hence Skoda reduced the torque to 250NM in the current 1.8TSI equipped cars like the Octavia so as to bring it within the limit.
The specs of the old Superb are still accessible at http://www.skoda-auto.co.in/models/superb/overview and this reads 160 PS and 250 NM Torque.
You just need to scroll down and click on "Engine & Transmission"

As far as DQ200 is concerned, its always been 250 NM. You can read more at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct-shift_gearbox.
Old 27th October 2016, 16:48   #2435
BHPian

Autocar India has posted images of what appears to the face lifted 2017 Octavia.

The changes are mainly
1. Updated headlamps with a split design.
2. A new bumper
3. A larger 9.2 inch touch screen infotainment system
4. Capacitative touch buttons on the center console
5. Ambient lighting in the cabin
6. Picnic tables attached to backside of the front seats

Mechanically things appear to be unchanged.

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-octavia_1.jpg

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-octavia_2.jpg

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-octavia_3.jpg

Source: http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...ed-403372.aspx
vikramk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2016, 17:35   #2436
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
One sure shot way to reproduce this problem is drive fast and then brake hard (say for a speed braker), the DSG shifts down to D2/S2 and when you accelerate again, the clutch slips/knocks.
This can be a case of what you call *** DSG moment and nothing to do with an impending gear box failure. This happens when driver inputs doesn't match with driver intentions leading to confusion of DSG mechatronics. While you decelerate, mechatronics preselect a lower gear thinking you are reducing the speed and suddenly when you accelerate the preselected gear won't match your intentions and often the higher gear as per your input will be on the same drive shaft which leads to loss of power and knocking. That is why you are having this phenomenon only when you decelerate the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
But DQ200 is a dry clutch and there is no oil to conduct the heat. Add to this, the DSG slips clutch in D2 in bumper to bumper traffic. Because of this lot of heat is generated which in turn results in premature clutch wear. Once the clutch starts wearing out, again as there is no oil to add lubrication, the gear box starts shuddering on acceleration
DQ250 is also a DSG, but with wet clutch. This DSG does duty in all diesel cars (Laura, Octavia, Jetta, Passat, Superb etc). Because of the oil bathed clutch, this gear box is much reliable. I know of one Laura Diesel DSG that has done 1.5 lakh kilometers without any gear box issues.
Are you sure about that ? As I understand dry clutch has a lesser quantity of oil and is sealed for life whereas a wet clutch is bathed in oil and hence heat transmission is more effective. And for slipping of clutch in D2 in bumper to bumper traffic, simply shift down to D1, using paddle shift which will become a second nature to you in a matter of few days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adeetya.gandhi View Post
Thank you so much for the advise. I called my dealer up and asked him to cancel the booking. He says its non refundable because petrol buyers are quite less. It seems like i am stuck with this. I will have to drive carefully.
The only thing i can hope is if i can convince him to put clutch under warranty. *Fingers crossed* ��.
Don't be disheartened so much. I admit even I had similar doubts when I decided to buy a TSI hence my username. But I believe little bit of care and a basic knowledge of how to treat DSG will go a long way in ensuring you have a pleasant ownership. Most of the times the people who share the knowledge of DSG and TSI in an Octavia may not have a first hand experience and will tread the same path as the general opinion. Yes experiences like Adi had is scary but then with a 4 year warranty I think you will be safe. Go for reliance motor secure premium which will give you a five year engine and gear box protection. This even covers gear box failures due to lube oil quality and engine failure due to cooling water failure. That is an extra year of peace of mind. Please note I don't work for reliance but happened to compare all the service providers when I bought the car. Go ahead and buy. You will enjoy every trip with your Octavia.
Scaryskodamenon is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th October 2016, 18:21   #2437
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scaryskodamenon View Post
This can be a case of what you call *** DSG moment and nothing to do with an impending gear box failure. This happens when driver inputs doesn't match with driver intentions leading to confusion of DSG mechatronics. While you decelerate, mechatronics preselect a lower gear thinking you are reducing the speed and suddenly when you accelerate the preselected gear won't match your intentions and often the higher gear as per your input will be on the same drive shaft which leads to loss of power and knocking. That is why you are having this phenomenon only when you decelerate the car.
Not sure if you have read my post and understood it.
1. The problem started showing up after 15000km of running, there were no "DSG moments" seen during the 1st 15000km.
2. The problem happens in Manual mode as well.
Old 27th October 2016, 19:03   #2438
Senior - BHPian

Let's all agree at one point, be it the Polo TSI, Octy TSI, all cars with DQ200 are prone to failures and other issues before that. Blame it on oil, mechatronic, usage pattern, whatsoever, its a known fact that failures are prone to happen.

Now take my case, they have still not rectified issues with my car. Initially I was given a 2 new clutches, 1 mechatronic unit, flywheel, etc. Ultimately I forced them to give me a new gearbox and they did.

Now the problem I am facing since, no one is able to understand and never will given that they are bound by their technical parameters and will not divulge any internal information. As far as I know, they have the powers to check each and every day's log of the car stored int he memory since 1km till date.

They changed the gearbox and the new gearbox was from the current generation which is apparently 'modified' or upgraded version of the gearbox. Hence it was not able to sit comfortably with the older surroundings mainly the gear shift lever.

They changed the gearshift lever to the upgraded compatible part, changed the main power relay in the car too since it had just cut off the power to the car recently.

Now there are no errors in the car, but its now a completely different car from what i bought. I do not enjoy the free revving engine anymore, it feels strained, and the gearbox auto-blips only when it feels like, and not always like its supposed to. They won't understand this.

No matter how careful you are with the car, a car maker cannot expect us to be on our toes constantly thinking about which gear the car is running in under certain driving conditions like heavy traffic. Thats what the homologation period is for. Now if they prematurely launch a vehicle and then take the customers experiences as test results and keep upgrading the components, its fraud in my opinion. I was also threatened that this failure has occurred due to paddle shift steering that I installed and ran for around 5-6000 km. Not considering that all of the major problems happened only after the original steering was put back n the car. I trust many others here are running a European sourced steering with paddle shifts on their 2013-14 Octy and even older Laura, without any such problems like mine had. So I don't blame it on the steering, but on the mechatronic itself in the first place which is definitely prone to short circuits and failures.

No matter how much you try, it is going to defunct in some manner or the other, so the best option is to stop buying such cars and look for other options.

Even the TDI I know, also has a lot of gearbox issues I have personally seen in the workshop.

So we must agree that this is not the best quality component going in to the car, and its several different variations of the gearbox which are used in different vehicles across the VW group.

Out of the quality standards that I know of, the 1st quality always goes to Audi and similar range cars, second VW, third Seat and so on.. so in my books the Skoda gets the worst of the best
adi_petrolhead is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th October 2016, 19:15   #2439
Mtv
BHPian

I had posted a few months earlier about my out of warranty 1.8's DSG failure. I then left the country for a while and the gearbox was replaced at no cost in my absence. The car had been running fine since.

The car then refused to start this past Monday. The dashboard lit up and the "ESC ERROR" flashed on the MID. The car was taken to the workshop on a flat bed truck where I was informed that the battery and the fuel pump needed to be replaced. The replacement fuel pump will take a few weeks to arrive.
Old 27th October 2016, 21:03   #2440
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scaryskodamenon View Post
Are you sure about that ? As I understand dry clutch has a lesser quantity of oil and is sealed for life whereas a wet clutch is bathed in oil and hence heat transmission is more effective. And for slipping of clutch in D2 in bumper to bumper traffic, simply shift down to D1, using paddle shift which will become a second nature to you in a matter of few days.
Yes. I am quite sure about this. The lesser quantity of oil that you mention is the oil inside the mechatronics. This is the oil that was synthetic which caused the earlier failures which was then changed to mineral oil. The clutch part is totally dry.
Old 31st October 2016, 13:09   #2441
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RohanDheman View Post
Since every one was keen on the biggest update- navigation--here is what the system looks like and the part number photo is also included.

Another super cool feature i found was the inclusion of a compass in the MID. Additionally, if you select Navigation on the MID, directions are displayed on the MID itself and you need not look at the screen. Small thought features living up to simply clever!

Attachment 1563922

Attachment 1563923

Attachment 1564649

Attachment 1564650
Hi Rohan, I've been in a Fix to buy a new car. Was supposed to get a Jetta but cancelled the booking after hearing reports of Discontinuing the model in 2017. Now I am Looking at the Octavia . I am being offered a MY16 Skoda Octavia Style Plus 1.8TSI with a Good Corporate Discount if I go for the non navigation model.
Are there any other new features other than the navigation system?
Old 31st October 2016, 13:47   #2442
Senior - BHPian

This happens in my Jetta AT, it goes down to D1 when crawling

Quote:
Having said that, after my recent 1st year service of the Polo GT, I find the car shifting to D1 often during very slow crawls. Maybe VW has updated the DSG software to reduce clutch slip in D2 and increase clutch life.

Booking amounts are always 100% refundable. Of course no dealer would admit that and verbally they will dissuade the customer. If you are really keen on cancelling go down to the showroom and talk to the GM Sales, it can be easily sorted out in multiple ways viz full refund; refund with minor deduction (say ₹5K); change of model itself to the diesel DSG etc etc..

Quote:
Originally Posted by adeetya.gandhi View Post
Thank you so much for the advise. I called my dealer up and asked him to cancel the booking. He says its non refundable because petrol buyers are quite less. It seems like i am stuck with this.....

I did the exact opposite. Was looking at the 1.8 Tsi Octavia with an autobox. By chance was able to locate a Jetta Tdi AT in the colour of my choice and booked it immediately given the fact that the 6 speed DSG on the Jetta is a proven unit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishithrao95 View Post
Hi Rohan, I've been in a Fix to buy a new car. Was supposed to get a Jetta but cancelled the booking after hearing reports of Discontinuing the model in 2017. Now I am Looking at the Octavia ......
Old 31st October 2016, 16:10   #2443
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post

I did the exact opposite. Was looking at the 1.8 Tsi Octavia with an autobox. By chance was able to locate a Jetta Tdi AT in the colour of my choice and booked it immediately given the fact that the 6 speed DSG on the Jetta is a proven unit.
Which One do you have? MY15 or 16? Jetta No doubt is a Solid car. Love the Planted drive it has. But considering we'll be keeping the car for about 4 years, And depreciation of these cars can't take a bigger hit if the model is discontinued.
Old 31st October 2016, 16:33   #2444
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
This happens in my Jetta AT, it goes down to D1 when crawling
That is surprising. My Jetta does not drop down to D1 while crawling, but maintains D2. But I am not worried that much with the Jetta as it has the DQ250 wet clutch gear box. Which year is your car? Did you see this behavior right from the beginning or after some service?

Quote:
Which One do you have? MY15 or 16? Jetta No doubt is a Solid car. Love the Planted drive it has. But considering we'll be keeping the car for about 4 years, And depreciation of these cars can't take a bigger hit if the model is discontinued.
Even I had booked an Octavia 1.8TSi, and due to indefinite waiting period, changed over to Jetta TDi DSG. Seeing the failures that are taking place with the DQ200 gearbox in the Octavia 1.8TSi, I now consider the indefinite waiting period to be a blessing in disguise.

As you have rightly pointed out, if you keep the car for more than 4 years, I do not think there will be big difference in resale value if the model gets discontinued.

So, if reliability is one of the top priorities, I would suggest you to go for either the Octavia 2.0TDi or the Jetta 2.0TDi. But if it is fun factor that is the top priority, then stick to 1.8TSi. I don't think you will find any other car with this explosive engine + gearbox combo in this price bracket - even the Audi A4 now comes with a puny 1.4TSi engine.
graaja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2016, 19:29   #2445
Senior - BHPian

I picked up the MY16 car last Wednesday and intend to keep the car for the next 8 years or 100,000 miles (1,61,000 kms) whichever occurs earlier.
Noticed the behaviour within the first 50 kilometres itself. In fact I used the paddle shifter to upshift to 2 as I felt driving in 1 was not the right thing to do.

Initially considered the Octavia because of the features, 8 air bags etc but one test ride in the back seat and I switched to the 1.8 TSi given it's multilink suspension and from there to here.

Quote:
Quote:
That is surprising. My Jetta does not drop down to D1 while crawling, but maintains D2. But I am not worried that much with the Jetta as it has the DQ250 wet clutch gear box. Which year is your car? Did you see this behavior right from the beginning or after some service?

Most Viewed