Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 20th October 2013, 13:17   #286
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Decided to take a close look at the Octavia today and paid the nearby Vinayak Skoda Bellary road showroom a visit. There was a white Ambition 2.0 TDI AT model on display.

I'll list out my observations as a Laura owner. Took dad along as he was free, to get his (non petrol head) perspective.
  • The car looks good overall. The front is very smart. The design is very clean and will age well like most Skodas. The rear is a bit disappointing and could get lost in the crowd.
  • The rear tail lights look too small for such a big car.
  • The car looks big. Can be a plus point for many, but I felt it lacked a bit of sportiness in its character. When I was looking at the Laura in 2011, I liked the compactness in the design and feel it has much more aggressive demeanour on the looks front. This car looks like a cross between the Laura and Superb.
  • The increased ride height for India has made the wheels look puny and ruins the stance of the car. Spacers for the rears will help.
  • The interiors are nice, but not a big step up from the Laura. Even the quality of materials are pretty much on par. As a Laura owner I felt at home.
  • Too much beige on the dash. I prefer the black and beige with silver accents on my Laura.
  • The Steering felt special to hold.
  • Doors feel lighter than the Laura and lack a bit of that heft.
  • The front seats are about as big as the Laura but lack bolstering in the sides.
  • The rear seats which is the talking point of this car, was a bit of a let down for me. I was telling my dad how this car has acres of rear space blah blah. He gets in the rear seat and says "what's so great about the rear seat?". To be honest the rear seat does have more leg room, but the seat itself is very similar to the Laura. The backrest angle, the seat base, the firmness of the cushion etc... is very similar. Its just that the leg room is more. My dad is 5' 10", and whenever he sits at the back, he takes the seat behind the passenger seat. So legroom was never an issue for him. In my view the rear seat would have better if the backrest was reclined a bit and the seat base was a bit higher for better thigh support.
  • Central hump is as bad as the Laura. Fifth passenger will not be welcome here as well.
  • Safety feaures like ESP and additional airbags are welcome additions.
  • The switch to normal accelerator pedal from organ type was very disappointing. I can't tell you how good that organ type pedal on the Laura feels.
I put my name down for a test drive of the 1.8 TSI AT and the lady says they have not received a SINGLE petrol car till date due to "production issues". So no 1.4 TSI, no 1.8 TSI even for TD yet, forget deliveries. This is the siutation in an important metro like Bangalore. A huge lapse from Skoda.

We walked out of the showroom with pricelist in hand with absolutely no itch of upgrading to Octavia (if you can call it that). My dad asked me about the other features have they added apart from the increased leg room. After I finished telling him, he glanced at the price list and said "OMG look at these prices! Your Laura was a very good buy".

Overall for people looking to upgrade from their C segment cars, this is an ideal upgrade. You get a smart looking, spacious, modern Euro sedan with a lot of bells and whistles, with good road manners (going by the reviews) and great engines coupled with fantastic gear boxes. But at this price how will Skoda convince the Indian public to look beyond their craze for SUVs?

OT : After checking out the Octavia we went and sat in the Superb that was on display. Now that's what I call a comfortable back seat. There is not only great leg room, but terrific under thigh support as well. It is waaaaay more comfortable than the Octy's rear seat. Its the seat height which gives that crucial under thigh support.

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 20th October 2013 at 13:26.
Santoshbhat is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 20th October 2013, 14:35   #287
BHPian

I test drove the Tdi Elegance AT at Senator motors today morning. Having driven the Laura in the MT guise several times before, I liked the feel of the AT immediately. The motor is quite powerful and eggs you on to drive spritedly. I drove from saki vihar road to the eastern expressway till the Mulund flyover and back, and was really happy with the drivability, space and build of the car. I'm 6.2 ft tall, and used to the safari backseat, the only miss I found with the rear seat was lack of under thigh support, space was fine.

I loved the kit on the elegance trim and I think it's worth the extra money. Wanted to Td the petrol but it will be available only in Jan, but going by what I saw in the diesel I'm sure it will be a hoot to drive.

Overall a very good car to live in and enjoy driving. The classic question of diesel or petrol will haunt most, more because both are very capable machines.

Cheers, slicks
Old 20th October 2013, 14:56   #288
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
You're looking at the TSI? I have still not got an update from the dealer on delivery date.
Definitely looking for the TSI, but they say it would take time. Atleast January. Wondering whether i should settle for the diesel. It did impress me the first time i drove it. Going in for another test drive today.
All the cars i saw were TDI elegance or ambition at their yard. No TSI
Old 20th October 2013, 20:27   #289
BHPian

Any brand new Laura's left in the country ?? . Any in bangalore ? . I am contemplating about an idea of exchanging my current laura 1.9 PD with the New Laura ? . Any huge discounts available ? . Any major drawbacks if i go ahead with such a move ?
Old 20th October 2013, 21:03   #290
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red's View Post
Any brand new Laura's left in the country ?? . Any in bangalore ? . I am contemplating about an idea of exchanging my current laura 1.9 PD with the New Laura ? . Any huge discounts available ? . Any major drawbacks if i go ahead with such a move ?
I would say, don’t bother. Effectively, you’re exchanging to the same generation model with an updated engine, and redesigned face. If you really have to change, put your money on the latest gen model i.e.; the new Octavia.
Old 20th October 2013, 21:18   #291
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san
I would say, don’t bother. Effectively, you’re exchanging to the same generation model with an updated engine, and redesigned face. If you really have to change, put your money on the latest gen model i.e.; the new Octavia.
Good point made !! . Primarily i am looking for a driver oriented car in the diesel . I am no professional racer but i expect the car i drive to put a smile on my face every time i drive it . Though the Jetta ticks the boxes its poorly equipped when compared to the car i own . I havent driven the Octavia yet so cant make conclusions about it but from what i hear is that its less involving to drive than the Laura . The next car i buy will have to be with me for a period of 5 years . I dont want to have any regrets . Any suggestions or advice as to what i should do ?? .
Thanks ......
Old 20th October 2013, 21:27   #292
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red's View Post
Good point made !! . Primarily i am looking for a driver oriented car in the diesel
Try the 530d

Coming back, I inquired about Laura with Senator, they don't have any left, and said other big dealers also have only 1-2 left and it's better not to touch them now as they really are the leftovers.

But you must test drive the Octy to really see if it's that bad or just different.

Cheers, slicks
Old 20th October 2013, 21:28   #293
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
  • The rear is a bit disappointing and could get lost in the crowd.
  • The switch to normal accelerator pedal from organ type was very disappointing. I can't tell you how good that organ type pedal on the Laura feels.
Why did they change the pedal?! Silly move. They should have paid more attention to detail.

1. Very good dash, steering but ruined by too much beige.
2. Very good front and side profiles but ruined by terrible rear. Jetta looks so much classier compared to the rear of octavia.
3. Good leg space in rear but too firm and upright as before.

I like the roof treatment, maye they could have offered the full panoramic roof and kicked the butt of the big three german brands?

I am a big fan of this car but I won't say this edition is a clear winner.
Old 20th October 2013, 23:44   #294

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
Any more deliveries yet? Prabir pls post pics of your ride! Give us some eye candy till rest of our cars are delivered!
Adi - apologies, had a busy weekend and just saw your post. Will upload some pics. Meanwhile, initial report:

I got to drive it for about 100 km on Saturday evening, including on the Sea Link and the Western highway. Couldn't do much while driving northwards in the evening due to traffic but did get a chance to stretch its legs on the way back - about 11pm. I have my share of cribs (no subwoofer, no power socket at the back seat or the boot, manually operated rear screen blinds, manual passenger seat adjustment) but all this pales into insignificance once you're behind the wheel.

The overtaking is just fantastic and the braking at high speed is very precise and what I liked the most are the anti-glare rear and side mirrors which dim automatically when the lights behind are too bright (wish there was something for the front screen as well for our 'highways'). I have pretty much felt like the king of the road since I got this car (with the exception of the BMWs of course for whom I respectfully make way, assuming they haven't already overtaken me by the time I notice they're there!)

I also liked the transmission. It is true that the auto box downshifts very quickly, but this improves fuel economy. And you also have the option to move into Sport mode or tip tropic if you want more action. That felt very thoughtful to me - provides the consumer a number of options.

My car reported fuel economy just under 10 kmpl for a 90 km drive that took 1 hour 50 min for the onward journey in peak traffic and 50 min for the return journey. Breaking that up, slightly below 9 on the onward journey and above 11 on the return (at one stage we'll above 12 till I started flooring the pedal).

The on road price for the 1.8 TSI is Rs 21.75 lakh in Mumbai for individuals but spare a thought for the company. The invoice breakup is Rs 16.72 lakh for the car, with Rs 2 lakh for VAT (government), Rs 1.9 lakh RTO tax, and Rs 89k zero-dep insurance. The company less Rs 5 lakh less than what we pay for it ... For Rs 16.7 lakh, I think this car is great value IMHO.
PrabirTalati is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2013, 00:56   #295
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrabirTalati View Post

The on road price for the 1.8 TSI is Rs 21.75 lakh in Mumbai for individuals but spare a thought for the company. The invoice breakup is Rs 16.72 lakh for the car, with Rs 2 lakh for VAT (government), Rs 1.9 lakh RTO tax, and Rs 89k zero-dep insurance. The company less Rs 5 lakh less than what we pay for it ... For Rs 16.7 lakh, I think this car is great value IMHO.

Forget Mumbai Prices.
Take a look at Bangalore Prices.

17,6492 for the 1.4 Active MT

23,09987 for the 1.8 TSI AT! Holy GOD! Way to overpriced. This could soon be the next market dud.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-prices-car.jpg  

Captain Slow is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2013, 07:01   #296
BHPian

Overpriced it is indeed. They should have priced it under 20L on road for the top end. I guess they did not factor the economic slowdown when they decided the prices. Anyhow I would rather wait till they start offering flat 2-3L discounts which will happen pretty soon.
SedatedDrive is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2013, 08:42   #297
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow
Forget Mumbai Prices. Take a look at Bangalore Prices. 17,6492 for the 1.4 Active MT 23,09987 for the 1.8 TSI AT! Holy GOD! Way to overpriced. This could soon be the next market dud.
Whats the Superb's pricing for the TDI version ?? . If it were at a premium of another 2 lakh i say its worth spending the extra money on the car . 25lk is on the higher side for the kit that the Octavia offers . Hope the new Superb sticks to its price tag under 30lk .
Old 22nd October 2013, 19:24   #298
Senior - BHPian

A video walk thru' of the new SKODA Octavia'13. You can see the panoramic Sun roof in action.

Last edited by Warwithwheels : 22nd October 2013 at 19:26.
Old 22nd October 2013, 20:42   #299
BHPian

Hey guys,

First post although been browsing this forum for years. I happened to call a few dealerships in Bangalore regarding the 1.8TSI and was informed by Vinayak Skoda on Bellary Road that they will not deliver the cars till early February. I thought it was a bit off so I called Tafe Access on St. Marks and was informed that a Silver 1.8TSI can be delivered between 15-20 days. I'm interested in a black car and was given an estimated delivery date of first week of December. Not sure which showroom to trust
Old 22nd October 2013, 21:03   #300
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by darktranquility View Post
Hey guys,

First post although been browsing this forum for years. I happened to call a few dealerships in Bangalore regarding the 1.8TSI and was informed by Vinayak Skoda on Bellary Road that they will not deliver the cars till early February. I thought it was a bit off so I called Tafe Access on St. Marks and was informed that a Silver 1.8TSI can be delivered between 15-20 days. I'm interested in a black car and was given an estimated delivery date of first week of December. Not sure which showroom to trust
I suggest you talk to Mr. Vikram at Tafe. I have referred a few to him and he hasn't disappointed.

Most Viewed