Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 12th January 2018, 23:05   #2986
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Interesting. In November 2016, when I got the spark plugs changed on my 1.8 TSi Laura, they charged me ~8k for the set of 4! I found it absurdly high!! Do you know if the same ones are now priced at ~3k? I mean are the spark plugs on Laura's 1.8 same as the ones on Octavia 3's 1.8?
Anand, frankly no idea. Both our cars are EA888 but the O3 is Gen3 while yours is Gen2.

Check the part number a few posts up. It's 06K-905-611-C. Is it the same as yours? I was specifically told that I was lucky being the first few to get this lowered part price.
itwasntme is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2018, 19:24   #2987
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
It's 06K-905-611-C. Is it the same as yours?
The ones they installed on mine are 06H905601A. Rate Rs. 1851.56/unit. Date: 12 May 2016

Hope the new ones are compatible and/or the old ones have been repriced as well. Need to check which ones go in the GTI as well!
anandpadhye is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2018, 07:05   #2988
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
. Piece of good news is that Skoda OEM sparkplugs are now drastically lower in price coming to ~3k for a set of 4.
Checked the old and new part numbers; they are the same. So there has been a drastic price cut for whatever reason.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-img_20180116_065940.jpg  

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-img_20180116_065952.jpg  

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-img_20180116_070011.jpg  

itwasntme is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2018, 09:37   #2989
BHPian

My left scroll wheel has cracked in 2 places. The service center has agreed to replace it via extended warranty. But they want to keep the car at the workshop for 5 days

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarjain View Post
My cars RHS scrolling wheel had also broken - which was refused to be changed under warranty. Luckily during a service appointment, the service station broke the LHS scrolling wheel so they changed both at their cost as it comes in a set.
Old 18th January 2018, 18:58   #2990
BHPian

Last week I had given my car for servicing. My car is about to complete 3 years. There were 3 main issues.

First issue was that cabin lights were not automatically turning on when the doors were opened. There was some loose connection when some work regarding sunroof was done last time. This was corrected.

Second issue regarding noise from suspension while going over sharp bumps. They kept the car for 3 days to investigate and solve the issue. Ultimately they serviced the jumpers and informed me that suspension is ok. Though the noise has come down, it has not gone completely. According to them this noise is common to all Octavias including new ones and they double checked this by observing the noise coming from their test car. I remember Adi reporting the same issue in this thread.

Third issue was regarding Sunroof rattling noise. Till now I have given my car 4 times specifically for this issue. They even have opened and re-fixed the whole sunroof in my car. Still after 3-4 months, the rattle comes back again. To me it seems that only way that this issue can be managed is to apply some kind of lubricant whenever the rattle comes back. The technician informed me that even changing the sunroof doesn't work. I think Skoda should stop coming out with Sunroofs in their cars. They have no solution for this. For now lubrication is working fine and I am having my fingers crossed!

One more issue was broken scroller on right side of the steering. Earlier I was orally informed that that will not be covered under warrantly. This time the service adviser formally raised the issue with the Insurance Company and was informed by the surveyor that this repairs will not be covered under extended warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haren View Post
My left scroll wheel has cracked in 2 places. The service center has agreed to replace it via extended warranty. But they want to keep the car at the workshop for 5 days
If you have extended warranty from Skoda then they may change it. However if you have your extended warranty from Insurance company lime me then you will be really lucky if you manage to get it replaced.

Apart from these issues, my car is running fine. Of late I have quite a few opportunities to get on the highways and I am enjoying every bit of it.

Recently I had an occasion to test drive Tiguan and Kodiaq. These cars are almost one and half times costlier than Octavia. Lots of interior parts are shared by them and overall ambiance and driving dynamics of these cars are not very much different from Octavia. Unless one needs a higher riding car, I don't see any reason to go for these cars as compared to Octavia. This test driving has reinforced my faith in Octavia and suppressed my hunch of changing my car which is almost 3 years old now!

Last edited by rutvij : 18th January 2018 at 19:02.
rutvij is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th January 2018, 20:19   #2991
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rutvij View Post

Third issue was regarding Sunroof rattling noise. Till now I have given my car 4 times specifically for this issue. They even have opened and re-fixed the whole sunroof in my car. Still after 3-4 months, the rattle comes back again.
I am lucky to have bought the Laura 1.8 with no sunroof. I love the silence and peace of mind. I honestly feel sunroof should be completely optional.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rutvij View Post
Unless one needs a higher riding car, I don't see any reason to go for these cars as compared to Octavia. This test driving has reinforced my faith in Octavia and suppressed my hunch of changing my car which is almost 3 years old now!
Yes, I had the Hyundai Tucson for 8 years and I always used it for trips to places where roads were going to be dicey. However, after Tucson was gone, I take the Laura everywhere and she is so solidly built, she can manage most of the bad roads without any issue. And that solid under-body protection really works! I think the new Octavia also has it. And the 1.8 in the Laura still pulls like new after 8 years, in fact the entire car feels fresh and tight like she was in Feb 2010 when I took delivery, there is really no reason to change. 3 years is nothing for your octy, she will stay the same for another 5, I can vouch for it (except for Sunroof that i have no experience of)

Cheers!

Last edited by anandpadhye : 18th January 2018 at 20:29.
anandpadhye is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2018, 00:45   #2992
BHPian

Just a Query, When do you need the first oil change/Top Up for a 2.0TDI ? My Car is Close to 7k Kms now and it's been about 6 and a half months that I've got it .
Cheers
Old 22nd January 2018, 01:32   #2993
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishithrao95 View Post
Just a Query, When do you need the first oil change/Top Up for a 2.0TDI ? My Car is Close to 7k Kms now and it's been about 6 and a half months that I've got it .
Cheers
2 TDI will very rarely need a top up, Your good to go till when your first service is due which should be 15k kms or 1 year which ever is earlier.
Old 23rd January 2018, 10:16   #2994
Distinguished - BHPian

Gents, coming up to 29k km on my 2 year TSI and exploring possible tyre change / upgrades. The NCT5s are irritating me now with excessive NVH.

Should I stick to stock 205/55/16 and go for Michelin P3ST / Michelin PS3 / Continental CPC5 / Yokohama DB series tyres OR take the plunge for 225/50/16?

I also understand that the OEM 6.5J alloys are just about within parameters for 225. Will it really improve the handling, or will the sidewall deformation (during hard cornering) actually mess things up?

There's a cost angle to off course with 205s & 225s at ~9k & 12k respectively.

Last edited by itwasntme : 23rd January 2018 at 10:18. Reason: Clarifying
Old 23rd January 2018, 10:54   #2995
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Gents, coming up to 29k km on my 2 year TSI and exploring possible tyre change / upgrades. The NCT5s are irritating me now with excessive NVH.

Should I stick to stock 205/55/16 and go for Michelin P3ST / Michelin PS3 / Continental CPC5 / Yokohama DB series tyres OR take the plunge for 225/50/16?

I also understand that the OEM 6.5J alloys are just about within parameters for 225. Will it really improve the handling, or will the sidewall deformation (during hard cornering) actually mess things up?

There's a cost angle to off course with 205s & 225s at ~9k & 12k respectively.
Depends on what you are looking for. In stock size the Michelin P3ST are outstanding tyres. Excellent comfort, low noise, decent grip (way better than the NCTs) and good tread life is what you'll get with them. You car will start feeling more premium in the way it moves. The softer tread compound will rob you a bit of steering feel, that is the only downside I can think of.

On the other hand if you like testing your car's handling capabilities on flyover ramps then PS3 in 225/50 should be one you should go for. You won't lose out much on ride comfort and silence with these, but you will gain in terms of outright grip and sporty feel and feedback from the steering. In terms of cost, not only are these more expensive, these will last for about 30% less than the P3ST. 6.5J rims will just about take these tyres.
Santoshbhat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2018, 19:20   #2996
BHPian

Quote:
Update: After 6 days at the service station, they are saying Skoda has rejected the claim since the breakage does not seem like manufacturing defect. Their words: "obviously looks like misuse". I asked them how they concluded that. Did not get any answer.

Anyways, taking the car back as is. My first dis-satisfactory experience with Skoda. I will have to rethink about Kodiaq given this attitude.
Old 25th January 2018, 10:04   #2997
Senior - BHPian

Skoda actually has well documented claims for the scrollers wheel wearing off and breaking pre-maturely. I personally have never had this issue, but it started to appear in the newer three spoke steering wheel rather than my old four spoke one.

I remember the service manager telling me how he fought with Skoda for a customer who's scroll wheel broke at least twice, at the same pressure point, proving it to be a manufacturing defect. He then went on to settle warranty claims for many Octavia scroll wheel breakage based on his case win.

You should take it up with Skoda heads over email, demand from the dealer to speak with your Area After Sales manager, who will then connect you to Central manager and so on. But obviously you're gonna need some patience and perseverance.

Last edited by GTO : 28th May 2018 at 15:39. Reason: Removing personal contact details from the post
adi_petrolhead is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th January 2018, 11:04   #2998
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
Skoda actually has well documented claims for the scrollers wheel wearing off and breaking pre-maturely. I personally have never had this issue, but it started to appear in the newer three spoke steering wheel rather than my old four spoke one.

I remember the service manager telling me how he fought with Skoda for a customer who's scroll wheel broke at least twice, at the same pressure point, proving it to be a manufacturing defect. He then went on to settle warranty claims for many Octavia scroll wheel breakage based on his case win.

You should take it up with Skoda heads over email, demand from the dealer to speak with your Area After Sales manager, who will then connect you to Central manager and so on. But obviously you're gonna need some patience and perseverance.
Thanks a ton, Adi. I will pursue this will Skoda for sure. i am also contemplating a consumer protection case filing.

I did speak to some Skoda area manager about this. it was a nerve wracking experience as he kept repeating it was a misuse (after seeing only photos) but would not tell me how he concluded that. I asked him to see photos of every other part of the car to see if there is any sign of misuse elsewhere and how someone (and many others) could specifically abuse the scroll wheel alone. I don't think he understood or wasn't ready to concede. I gave up the discussion at that point.

Last edited by GTO : 28th May 2018 at 15:39. Reason: Quoted post edited
Old 27th January 2018, 19:12   #2999
BHPian

Update:

I sent out a mail to Skoda folks (Thanks again, Adi!). The response was lightning quick!

Multiple customer care folks reached out and assured me that they will do a "goodwill" replacement in this case.

Just picked up the car back from the workshop.

Without Adi's help it would have been a much longer negotiation, I am sure.

Very glad to know that Skoda's taking customer satisfaction really seriously. With the kind of cars that they are lining up for India, they can really grab a big market share if they continue this trend.
Haren is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th January 2018, 07:53   #3000
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Update:

I sent out a mail to Skoda folks (Thanks again, Adi!). The response was lightning quick!
Wondering if I should do the same for my broken AC center vent too! They have already refused it once quoting wear and tear.

Most Viewed