Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th May 2018, 10:18   #3046

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altocumulus View Post
You should have opened a job card. This way even if your warranty expires, you would have had a documentation that you had highlighted this issue earlier.
Thanks. I also thought the same and tried convincing them to do this. The SA even brought in the service manager who said such a job card would be of no benefit if their report on it said there was no leak. I guess I should have been more insistent. I did take a picture of the gate pass though, just as proof that I was there. I will monitor closely and take my car in again if I see any drop in the level and insist on a job card that time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sud View Post
Most likely water pump failure. In my case as well there was no visible leakage. But upon service inspection it turned out to be water pump failure. If your place has another service centre get it checked there as well. Also if possible buy the coolant from the service centre and keep it as spare.
Thanks for the suggestions.

They did raise up the car and inspected it with a torch underneath for signs of leakage. In fact 3 different service engineers did that. Is that what you meant by service inspection? Anything else they could have done?

Unfortunately no other service centre where I live.

If I carry the coolant, I guess I will have to dilute in the correct ratio before topping up. I will plan to stay local, and carry distilled water with me, and keep monitoring the coolant level.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 7th September 2018 at 11:39. Reason: Merging back to back posts / minor formatting
Old 5th May 2018, 11:27   #3047
Senior - BHPian

re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldtravelbug View Post
If I carry the coolant, I guess I will have to dilute in the correct ratio before topping up. I will plan to stay local, and carry distilled water with me, and keep monitoring the coolant level.
The standard sealed can of G13 coolant is already a premix of anti-freeze and distilled water, you don't need to dilute it further. You should keep it handy just in case the levels drop again.

You should insist on further thorough check up and demand reason for why the coolant level was low. A proper reading of the fault code stored in such event would have also helped but definitely they would have erased the fault code when the car was scanned.

If need be ask them to open the intercooler and check the thermostat for any leaks of cracks, as its a plastic part and is responsible for maintaining coolant pressure in the system.

Theres also a device specially designed to check for pressure leaks in the system. It gets attached to the coolant reservoir in place of the original tank cap and manually pump in air to see if there are any leaks and pressure is measured on the analog meter attached to the pump.

I don't have pics but thats how we diagnosed there was some problem in the system which eventually got fixed by replacing the thermostat and water pump.

Water pump is now a very reasonable 3500 INR, but if the thermostat is faulty, you'll need to shell out close to 30000 INR to replace it.

If the workshop is not responding, write to SKODA India on their official emails. That will automatically escalate the matter.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2018, 15:29   #3048
Distinguished - BHPian

Bought a couple of Aliexpress chrome embellishments for my Octy . Total investment was 5$ with shipping.

Mixed feelings though:
Attached Thumbnails
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-2.jpeg  

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-3.jpeg  

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-4.jpeg  

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-5.jpeg  

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-6.jpeg  

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-7.jpeg  

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-8.jpeg  

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-9.jpeg  

Last edited by itwasntme : 5th May 2018 at 15:31.
itwasntme is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th May 2018, 17:31   #3049

Mod note: Post edited. Please avoid quoting entire large post for short replies. Affects readability. Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
The standard sealed can of G13 coolant is already a premix of anti-freeze and distilled water, you don't need to dilute it further. You should keep it handy just in case the levels drop again.
=====
If the workshop is not responding, write to SKODA India on their official emails. That will automatically escalate the matter.
Thanks for the detailed info. It will be very handy on my follow up visit to the service centre.

Last edited by Jaggu : 10th May 2018 at 13:01. Reason: Please avoid quoting entire large post for short replies. Affects readability. Thanks.
Old 9th May 2018, 10:53   #3050
sud
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldtravelbug View Post
Thanks for the detailed info. It will be very handy on my follow up visit to the service centre.
If you are adding distilled water, ask the SA to check if the ratio is intact. They have a meter to test this. Otherwise you need to add coolant accordingly.
sud is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2018, 11:57   #3051
Distinguished - BHPian

Anyone facing issues with the link rods moaning over tall wide bumps? Mine is at 32k km and I think they need replacement. More noticeable when cold or wet. Any ideas?
Old 10th May 2018, 13:51   #3052
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Anyone facing issues with the link rods moaning over tall wide bumps? Mine is at 32k km and I think they need replacement. More noticeable when cold or wet. Any ideas?
Are you referring to squeaking noise while going over bumps. If yes, then I am facing that problem. During my last service I had complained about that noise. They serviced the suspension and after that noise came down. But after couple of weeks, it was back to normal. This is very widely reported problem. If you are able to solve it, do share here.
Old 10th May 2018, 16:45   #3053
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rutvij View Post
This is very widely reported problem. If you are able to solve it, do share here.
rutvij,

As per another TBHP member (joethomasv) it's due to the link rods. They usually need periodic changing and cost only around 2k each.

Refer his ownership thread here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post3850310

More than the noise, I am concerned that it will slowly damage the components to which they are attached to. Better to change I am thinking. Will do in mid-June due to work pressure.
Old 10th May 2018, 17:41   #3054
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
If need be ask them to open the intercooler and check the thermostat for any leaks of cracks, as its a plastic part and is responsible for maintaining coolant pressure in the system.
charge air is water cooled ? if possible kindly post a pic of the intercooler
Old 11th May 2018, 22:06   #3055

Quote:

Theres also a device specially designed to check for pressure leaks in the system. It gets attached to the coolant reservoir in place of the original tank cap and manually pump in air to see if there are any leaks and pressure is measured on the analog meter attached to the pump.
I took my car back for a more thorough inspection as suggested, and had to leave my car there for 4 days just to find the problem (It sounds like a lot of time is wasted in waiting for feedback from Skoda). They confirmed that they have found a very minute leak in the water pump. They said they have also checked the thermostat and did not find any issue there and also insist that there was no coolant leakage onto the timing belt.

Quote:
If you are adding distilled water, ask the SA to check if the ratio is intact. They have a meter to test this. Otherwise you need to add coolant accordingly.
They gave me my car back today while we wait for the part to arrive. They just topped up the coolant from the G13 can and said they will check the dilution later using the meter once they replace the water pump.

Thanks to Team-BHP and BHPians for all the info and suggestions.
worldtravelbug is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2018, 15:21   #3056
sud
BHPian

I am looking to change my wiper blades. I am not very much satisfied with the quality of the blade provided by Skoda considering the price. Anyone has tried the after market blades? If so any recommendation on brand. Size is not mentioned on the original blade. Is it 24inch/19inch?
Old 13th May 2018, 00:07   #3057
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am looking to change my wiper blades. I am not very much satisfied with the quality of the blade provided by Skoda considering the price. Anyone has tried the after market blades? If so any recommendation on brand. Size is not mentioned on the original blade. Is it 24inch/19inch?

When my dealer did not have stock of the original blades I tried a set of Chinese replica wiper blades. They were extremely poor quality and did not work properly after 10 minutes of install. Its best to go for original blades as they last much longer. I am only on my second set in one lakh kms.
Old 13th May 2018, 11:56   #3058
BHPian

Quote:
HI, you can try these. From reputed company, TVS

https://www.amazon.in/dp/B079KG5RFJ/ref=sspa_dk_detail_4?psc=1

Size of the baldes in Octy are : 21" X 19"

Also, Hella, Autofurnish & Bosch are good and available on Amazon for next day delivery.
Old 14th May 2018, 23:14   #3059
sud
BHPian

Quote:
When my dealer did not have stock of the original blades I tried a set of Chinese replica wiper blades. They were extremely poor quality and did not work properly after 10 minutes of install. Its best to go for original blades as they last much longer. I am only on my second set in one lakh kms.
Thats interesting. For me 2 sets are done in 58K. The initial factory fitted one lasted for about 2+ years and the one replaced in service centre has already started forming thin film after the wiping action.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karvel View Post
HI, you can try these. From reputed company, TVS

https://www.amazon.in/dp/B079KG5RFJ/ref=sspa_dk_detail_4?psc=1

Size of the baldes in Octy are : 21" X 19"

Also, Hella, Autofurnish & Bosch are good and available on Amazon for next day delivery.
Thanks. I have decided to go with Bosch aero twins but unfortunately not available in Amazon so trying other sources. Looking at the wipers the smaller one seems to be atleast 4 to 5 inches smaller then the driver side one. I will measure it tomorrow.
Old 18th May 2018, 16:51   #3060
sud
BHPian

Quote:
Thats interesting. For me 2 sets are done in 58K. The initial factory fitted one lasted for about 2+ years and the one replaced in service centre has already started forming thin film after the wiping action.

Thanks. I have decided to go with Bosch aero twins but unfortunately not available in Amazon so trying other sources. Looking at the wipers the smaller one seems to be atleast 4 to 5 inches smaller then the driver side one. I will measure it tomorrow.
Finally ended up going with OEM and changed it from service centre as the Bosch aero twins couldn't find appropriate size in stock. Costed about Rs. 2400 as there were some discounts running.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks