Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th April 2019, 08:16   #3346
BHPian

re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Ask the dealer whether they can confirm there was no recall on the battery that they may have missed. I had a Sebang OEM battery in mine that was changed (without asking) at the first service at 12 months. Generally, the first battery on VAG cars is a now a scam.
So true. Definitely a scam.

My 1.8tsi battery just gave up after 19 months & 37,000 kms. Tried roadside assistance which didn’t work, was out of town, so had a local battery chap check it out and he said one cell of the battery has failed. Jump started the car, got back to Bangalore, called tafe and tried to sort the issue. They want to take the car all the way to their Hosur Road centre after jump starting it. Meanwhile, they aren’t giving a commitment on replacing the battery under warranty or my goodwill discounts.

So am considering just getting an Amaron battery, get proper warranty and more peace of mind.

However, the scary signs of “leave car in P, visit workshop” messages did pop up a few times on the drive back. Is it due to the battery issue or an impending mechatronics failure?
Old 11th April 2019, 08:21   #3347
BHPian

Mine is on the 4th battery now, all 3 of them gave up without any warning. First one was Varta, rest all Exide India. But I never got the message that you mentioned.

Did you mention it to Tafe?
Old 11th April 2019, 11:45   #3348
BHPian

Finally, the lady at Tafe said that there would be warranty issues if I went for any other battery, installed outside of the showroom. She committed to around 40-50% good will discount and a loaner car while the issue was sorted.
Just going ahead with ASS to sort the problem.
Fingers crossed. Will mention the message when I give them the car.
Old 11th April 2019, 11:51   #3349
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joethomasv View Post
Mine is on the 4th battery now, all 3 of them gave up without any warning. First one was Varta, rest all Exide India. But I never got the message that you mentioned.

Did you mention it to Tafe?
One problem with skoda superb, octavia was that battery was being discharged rapidly when not in use for long because of various electronic sensors working unnecesarily.

My advice just disconnect the battery if car is not in use for more than 2 days. Nothing dramatic will happen, do not let anyone convince you otherwise.
Old 11th April 2019, 12:35   #3350
sud
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_nan View Post
Finally, the lady at Tafe said that there would be warranty issues if I went for any other battery, installed outside of the showroom. She committed to around 40-50% good will discount and a loaner car while the issue was sorted.
Just going ahead with ASS to sort the problem.
Fingers crossed. Will mention the message when I give them the car.
For me, SA advised to get it replaced from outside as warranty will be better and no issues with extended-warranty of the car. What the lady told you seems like a mis-information to me. Better to confirm with your SA once.

What is your battery make? For instance mine was SeBang and they replaced it under warranty on 18th month as that lot had an issue. So check and clarify once again.

Regarding your warning of “leave car in P, visit workshop”, better to get it checked in service centre. If the battery is full down, some warnings might popup which needs reset.
Old 21st April 2019, 18:47   #3351
Distinguished - BHPian

Useful stiff suspension of the Octavia on my summer commute:

itwasntme is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st April 2019, 20:02   #3352
BANNED

Quote:
The last stretch was quite bad, concrete, bricks and an abrupt incline as well, did it scrape anywhere? How many occupants?

Last edited by suhaas307 : 22nd April 2019 at 13:11. Reason: Removing url from quoted post
Old 22nd April 2019, 00:25   #3353
BHPian

Quote:
Looks to be some place in TN? Is the video getting fast forwarded in some place? Octy seems to be too fast at some places.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 22nd April 2019 at 13:11. Reason: Removing url from quoted post
Old 22nd April 2019, 05:32   #3354
BHPian

I too felt the same while watching the video. Look like the car is easily doing 30+ km/ h in some parts of the video.

itwasntme - Have you modified the company provided suspension or this drive with regular suspensions? If it is regular suspension then it gives me a world of confidence to drive in Bangalore roads.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 22nd April 2019 at 13:11. Reason: Spacing
Old 22nd April 2019, 13:05   #3355
Distinguished - BHPian

Occupants were 3 adults and a boot with ~50 kg of stuff. No scrapes at all - just had to be careful at the end where there is indeed an incline. The stiff suspension does not wallow or pitch at all. Maybe a bit too stiff for some buyers but I swear by it for the last 3 years / 46k Km.

Speeds were indeed unusually high @~30 km/hr :-), but this has been my daily shortcut for some time now, and I know every protruding rock and dip. Normally would be much more circumspect!
Old 23rd April 2019, 18:34   #3356
BHPian

I am having an unusually frustrating time dealing with Vinayak Sadashivnagar for my 1.8TSI booking. The car has apparently landed in the yard last weekend, but they are not disclosing the VIN and dragging their feet on taking me to the yard for PDI.
Old 23rd April 2019, 20:21   #3357
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nma83 View Post
I am having an unusually frustrating time dealing with Vinayak Sadashivnagar for my 1.8TSI booking. The car has apparently landed in the yard last weekend, but they are not disclosing the VIN and dragging their feet on taking me to the yard for PDI.
Are you sure if your car has arrived,? Did you receive an SMS from Skoda customer care. If your allotted car has arrived, there shouldn't be any issue why they can't give you the VIN. Some skoda sales advisors call it as chassis number also. Anyway, it is at the left side bottom of front windshield.
Tell them that until you do the PDI and you are fully convinced, you are not making any more payments.
Old 23rd April 2019, 20:42   #3358
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambydude View Post
Are you sure if your car has arrived,? Did you receive an SMS from Skoda customer care. If your allotted car has arrived, there shouldn't be any issue why they can't give you the VIN. Some skoda sales advisors call it as chassis number also. Anyway, it is at the left side bottom of front windshield.
Tell them that until you do the PDI and you are fully convinced, you are not making any more payments.
Yes I did get an SMS last week from Skoda. But the dealer is giving excuses for not providing the VIN to me - they don't do it now-a-days, it does'nt work with their allocation scheme etc etc - which I don't believe at all. I was promised to be taken to the PDI over last weekend, and that got postponed to today, but no one showed up. I have emailed the main Skoda sales person from their site and got a call today evening promising PDI soon. Apparently the SA talking to me is on leave.
Have to see what transpires tomorrow.
Old 23rd April 2019, 20:55   #3359
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nma83 View Post
Yes I did get an SMS last week from Skoda. But the dealer is giving excuses for not providing the VIN to me - they don't do it now-a-days, it does'nt work with their allocation scheme etc etc - which I don't believe at all. I was promised to be taken to the PDI over last weekend, and that got postponed to today, but no one showed up. I have emailed the main Skoda sales person from their site and got a call today evening promising PDI soon. Apparently the SA talking to me is on leave.
Have to see what transpires tomorrow.
This could be true. They might have ordered a bunch of cars last month and the dealer would be allocating one to you. Also, you can enter the yard only with your SA. In my case also my SA came with me. He told me that without an SA, the yard security will not let any customer enter the yard.
Lambydude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2019, 11:16   #3360
BHPian

According to the myskoda app and the sales people, the first service for Octavia Tdi is at 15k kms or one year. Is there any inspection service at one month or 5k kms? The sales guy says I can show once at 7500kms, but since it is unscheduled, it will be charged.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks