Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st August 2019, 20:26   #3631
SLK
Senior - BHPian

re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Hello!

I'm planning buy Octavia 1.8 TSI (Style or L&K), to replace my Optra Magnum. With the new Octavia being revealed on 13th September (at Frankfurt motor show), I'm just a bit skeptical to get a soon to be discontinued model.

To my mind the 'pros' to get the current model include:
  • 1.8 TSI - which will probably not be replaced in India and 1.5 TSI will be the only option. (2.0 TSI is only visible internationally in the 4x4 or the RS)
  • I don't see too many differences in whatever is available about the new car, practically speaking. DQ250 is also expected to be retained, even if I wanted to have another DSG.
  • There will be no discounts on the new one, instead it'll be more expensive.
  • My Optra will not last another year, I'll have to buy something of a placeholder for the time being (it'll be a loss but not a deal breaker).

There are somethings going for waiting another year too:
  • The new 1.5 TSI is expected to be much more economical compared to the 1.8 TSI, with its ACT etc.
  • The new interior layout will be fresh.
  • There might just be virtual cockpit with Style edition.
  • Better looking steering wheel

Any thoughts, existing owners? - Some shortcoming of the current version which is expected to be sorted out?
Old 31st August 2019, 22:31   #3632
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK View Post
Hello!

Any thoughts, existing owners? - Some shortcoming of the current version which is expected to be sorted out?
Apart from the ones you have listed , BS4 engine might be the main drawback of the current Octavia when compared to new one. However, once you have registered, I'm not sure how BS4 is going to affect you.

Another one is the performance of 1.8 TSI vs 1.5 TSI. New octavis will be launched in India oy towards the end of 2020. Can you wait till then?

Lastly , the prices will definitely go up. But I feel along with the price increase they might cut short some mechanical features like the multi link suspension which is there in the current 1.8 TSI.

Last edited by Lambydude : 31st August 2019 at 22:32.
Lambydude is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st August 2019, 22:55   #3633
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK View Post
Hello!

I'm planning buy Octavia 1.8 TSI (Style or L&K), to replace my Optra Magnum. With the new Octavia being revealed on 13th September (at Frankfurt motor show), I'm just a bit skeptical to get a soon to be discontinued model.

To my mind the 'pros' to get the current model include:
  • 1.8 TSI - which will probably not be replaced in India and 1.5 TSI will be the only option. (2.0 TSI is only visible internationally in the 4x4 or the RS)
  • I don't see too many differences in whatever is available about the new car, practically speaking. DQ250 is also expected to be retained, even if I wanted to have another DSG.
  • There will be no discounts on the new one, instead it'll be more expensive.
  • My Optra will not last another year, I'll have to buy something of a placeholder for the time being (it'll be a loss but not a deal breaker).

There are somethings going for waiting another year too:
  • The new 1.5 TSI is expected to be much more economical compared to the 1.8 TSI, with its ACT etc.
  • The new interior layout will be fresh.
  • There might just be virtual cockpit with Style edition.
  • Better looking steering wheel

You have forgotten to take one factor into account. Reliability. Almost all automakers struggle with most newly launched cars when it comes to the initial batches or the first 6 month to a year.

The initial batches of the current gen Octy also had certain niggles such as creaking ORVMs, sunroof rattles and few other minor and major gremlins. I haven't heard of a single one of these on the latest copies. Safe to say, Skoda has made certain changes to the design of these components. (As complacent as they seem for a company)

To put it simply, the current gen Octavia is as tried and tested as it comes. It's owned by many on the forum, most owners know what issues it springs up and how to deal with them and even Skoda has made efforts to sort most of the niggles it comes with. I would bet on this generation all said and done unless:

- You hate the design of the current generation and are sure that you love the next gen

- Are very obsessed with buying a BS6 (although it shouldn't be the case since you are buying a petrol in the end)

- Don't want to own an older generation car (though most of the changes are evolutionary rather than revolutionary in terms of design on the next gen IMHO)

- Want to settle for a newer gen but less powerful 1.5 TSI motor (which I will remind you again hasn't seen Indian conditions at all and compromises in interest of the environment on power)

The 1.8 TSI on the other hand is a known devil if I may say so. All of its issues both major and minor are well documented and I don't think I need to talk about the DSG since it remains unchanged

My opinion, go for the current Octavia. Enjoy the lower price, the slump in the automotive market and the discounts that follow. Thank me later.

Last edited by vishy76 : 31st August 2019 at 22:59.
vishy76 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2019, 09:56   #3634
BHPian

Had to happen, didnt it!

The AC cooling was a bit off as i had pointed out during the 60000 km service last week. They topped up the gas but it still was not as efficient. Left the car with the Gurgaon workshop on Friday and have been informed that they have changed the compressor and one more part. The SA was still not very happy with the result and has put in a request to change a valve as well, which will be approved today.

I understand that things can go wrong and that is why you have warranty. So that is perfectly ok. What i am very very impressed with is Skoda's dealing of the entire situation. I have not had to follow up once with the service advisor. He has updated me every single day on his own. Whatever changes are being driven from the top towards customer service seem to be working.

I must add that talking to the advisors politely and with respect goes a long way in building a healthy relationship. I have never been rude or raised my voice on any issue with Skoda and it certainly seems to be working.

Further, i am going to be taking the additional 2 years warranty for sure now!

Cheers
Rohan
RohanDheman is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2019, 09:30   #3635
Distinguished - BHPian

General mileage for the last peaceful 3 days (including short trips to BLR CBD) but usually staying north of MG Road :-)

Shows why the TSI is so popular in the West even in the diesel-crazy EU/UK markets. Give it some breathing space (instead of our bumper-to-bumper traffic) and better fuel, and the results are impressive even for 1.8/2.0 turbo-petrols.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-mileage.jpeg  

itwasntme is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2019, 13:23   #3636
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.grg View Post
I have observed the drinking habit of 1.8 TSI over different driving conditions.

1. In B2B traffic, she gulps a lot, with mileage between 4 to 7 kmpl. But, mostly, around 4 to 5. If you want to take her out mostly on this kind of stretch, you would rather go for her sibling in TDI.

2. In city traffic, if your spin is a bit longer, she becomes a moderate and acceptable drinker, around 8 to 10 kmpl, but mostly around 9.

3. In highways, she becomes a teetotaler, sipping very less taking the mileage to more than 16 kmpl. If you are in a party mode, she might drink more and present you with a slightly fatter bill. But as I am nimble on my right feet and love to caress more than pressing hard, I got between 16.2 to 16.7.

I had missed sharing the pics of mileage. Attachment 1907632
Attachment 1907633
Attachment 1907634

The overal mileage got better due to two long intercity trips.
This set display looks nice. The display on the 2015 octavia tdi seems so bland compared to it. Anyone know or tried the Alpine x902d oc3 or the i902d oc3 sets which are supposed to be OEM replacements for the skoda bolero units but will have the android play feature that I sorely wanted..

https://www.alpine.co.uk/p/Products/...koda/i902d-oc3

Is there any other options to get something like this on? Seems very costly though...
Old 4th September 2019, 01:49   #3637
BHPian

Been a while since I've posted on TBHP. Had left my collection thread hanging. Shall now turn it into a 2 Years with the Silver TDI ownership thread. Have done about 29,000 KM's with regular highway runs between BLR-HYD and ocassional trips to Ooty and Valparai. The car's got a fresh set of Michelin P4ST from the go to place for tyres in Bangalore , i.e Madhu's. Like many on Team BHP and in Bangalore, A third generation customer for Madhu's and can't stress enough on the exemplary service offered by them.
Looking forward to few updates on the car very soon and many more highway mile-munching road trips.
Anyways, Attaching few pictures of the car.
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-2019_05_17_18_19_16_319.jpg

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-gptempdownload.jpg

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-img_2330.jpg

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-img_4791.jpg

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-img_4805.jpg

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-img8881.jpg
nishithrao95 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 7th September 2019, 15:31   #3638
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

Need some help in deciding to go for the Octavia or not.
I was initially planning to go for a mid-size SUV/Crossover like the Creta or Seltos. However, I think both these cars are highly overpriced for the segment they belong to (I am interested in the higher price variants).
So, I decided to look a segment higher for cars like the Octavia, Tuscon etc.
The main reason I was going for a SUV instead of a sedan is due to the Ground clearance for tacking our terrible roads and the confidence to go for outstation trips where I am not sure about the road condition.
I would like to know how the Octavia fares in this aspect and how is the seating comfort for long journeys. I know it cant match a SUV in terms of GC but what is the feedback based on the real-life experience.
Secondly, I am getting a cool 1.5Lakhs off on the price (1.4TSI Style manual) which makes it almost similarly priced to the Kia Seltos 1.4 GTX+. I just feel the Octavia is way more premium than the Seltos. ALso, Skoda is offering 6 years warranty which sounds reassuring.
ALso, if you have any feedback about the Skoda dealer in Hyderabad (Mahavir Auto), please share the same.
adimicra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2019, 15:50   #3639
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
Guys,

Need some help in deciding to go for the Octavia or not.
I was initially planning to go for a mid-size SUV/Crossover like the Creta or Seltos. However, I think both these cars are highly overpriced for the segment they belong to (I am interested in the higher price variants).
The main reason I was going for a SUV instead of a sedan is due to the Ground clearance for tacking our terrible roads and the confidence to go for outstation trips where I am not sure about the road condition.
I would like to know how the Octavia fares in this aspect and how is the seating comfort for long journeys. I know it cant match a SUV in terms of GC but what is the feedback based on the real-life experience.
Secondly, I am getting a cool 1.5Lakhs off on the price (1.4TSI Style manual) which makes it almost similarly priced to the Kia Seltos 1.4 GTX+. I just feel the Octavia is way more premium than the Seltos. ALso, Skoda is offering 6 years warranty which sounds reassuring.
ALso, if you have any feedback about the Skoda dealer in Hyderabad (Mahavir Auto), please share the same.
Hi. Now, I've got a 1.8 TSI L&K so my inputs about the engine and drive would come from that background - and therefore I won't go into those. However, on the rest of the queries, I believe I'll be able to give decent feedback:

1. The cars in the market today are tremendously overpriced given what they offer. I'm looking for a replacement for my City and have literally gone up to evaluating the luxury vehicles, having originally started off looking for something <INR 30L! That's how horrid the selection on offer seems to be

2. The Octavia has a stated GC of just 158 mm but for those accustomed to Korean / Japanese numbers, this is misleading. The car is much better at handling bumps than the likes of the City etc. and handles most city roads - in Mumbai, and therefore appalling quality - with aplomb. It won't clear boulders of course, but you don't have to handle it like you're dealing with grenades. As I posted in my ownership review, our TD involved taking a fully-loaded Octavia (5 adult passengers + a child) over a speed-breaker at 40 odd kmh and there was no scrape.

Edit to add: This is because they state the GC as the height of the lowest part of the body as opposed to Japanese / Korean makers who state it as the height of a specific central part of the car - which may not be the lowest; also the suspension setup makes a difference, of course.

3. If you're expecting to drive with SUV-like alacrity, this is obviously not the car for you, but it's built like a tank and handles urban roads exceedingly well.

4. Seating comfort (Front) - the 1.8 TSI L&K has all the seat adjustments you could want for the front seats - and is very comfortable indeed. Compared to my Hexa (exceptional comfort in its own right) and the Crysta, I'd pick this with ease and without second thoughts. Again, I'd also pick it over any other sedan of lower categories. Very nice feel. I have driven for 6 hours straight without a break and not felt any discomfort. The comfort here holds for both front seat passengers as the adjustments are on both seats. I don't know if this is all available on the 1.4 however, so please check it out personally. Driver seat comfort is a very deeply personal point.

5. Seating comfort (Rear) - The car doesn't have reclining rear seats and doesn't have rear climate control either (vents only). Also, there is now the personal question. I like my seats more upright as reclines cause me lower-back stiffness over long drives. That said, the rear bench is more upright than several other cars and people who like more of a recline could find this less comfortable. My wife, for instance, prefers the Hexa's (pilot seat config) rear seats by far over the Octavia. I prefer the Octavia however. Again, deeply personal.

6. When you have more passengers - The central hump is pronounced in the Octavia so if you are going to have 3 rear-seat passenger frequently and for extended rides, this will be an issue.

7. 18 months into ownership and I have no adverse remarks about the car or service / after-sales experience yet.

Advice:
1. Take a Test Drive of your preferred variant - and take it over tough-ish terrain to judge how you like the ride, handling and comfort.
2. If you're going to travel with family / colleagues for the most part, assess the car with the expected load inside it
3. Try out the 1.8 TSI DSG as well; if you can stretch your budget, the additional features and the brilliant drive quality are well worth it (in my opinion, of course)
Note: I would stay away from BS4 diesels personally, regardless of discounts; the loss of life after BS6 is not worth any amount of money, in my opinion + the gamble you take on random court rulings that may come in future given the absence of firm, set-in-stone policies for the sector.

Last edited by imidnightmare : 7th September 2019 at 15:52.
imidnightmare is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th September 2019, 16:08   #3640
BHPian

Quote:
Guys,
I had previously mentioned about Octavia's GC here - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sedan...ml#post4632108
I used to drive tentatively on bad roads at first, but the car tackles the worst of Bengalooru roads surprisingly well. It is really quite the package!
nma83 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2019, 17:16   #3641
Senior - BHPian

Having driven in both Bangalore and Hyderabad, I have faced much bigger challenge in terms of ground clearance in Bangalore. So, if the Octy can handle the Bangalore speed breakers and craters with ease, thats a huge confidence booster.
Old 7th September 2019, 17:46   #3642
sud
BHPian

Quote:
On GC, with 2 adults (and a kid) it is of almost no issues even in Bangalore. But if you have 4 adults you have to be very cautious.

On seating comfort, front seats are pretty good and family likes the rear seat comfort as well.
sud is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th September 2019, 21:19   #3643
BHPian

The Octavia is back after the compressor change and valve change and the ac is chilling my bones off! Haven't had to set the temperature anything below 23 and fan speed above 2 in the last 3 days.

After the service and the gearbox oil change, she is an absolute joy to drive! God I love this car
RohanDheman is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th September 2019, 02:09   #3644
BHPian

Hello Everyone, a close friend has an Octavia 1.8 TSI L&K bought in April this year. He's based in Pune and has done around 7k km on it. He suddenly observed condensation in both Headlights today.

He is going to approach the dealer tomorrow for replacement of both Headlights.

Has anyone else has this issue? Any help on how to deal with the issue would be appreciated.

Regards
Attached Thumbnails
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-img_20190912_200116.jpg  

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-img_20190912_200104.jpg  

Old 13th September 2019, 06:10   #3645
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amartyasg View Post
Has anyone else has this issue?
It doesn't matter if anyone else has this issue or not. What matters is that you have this issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amartyasg View Post
Any help on how to deal with the issue would be appreciated.
There is only ONE way to deal with this issue and you have already mentioned that in your post:

Quote:
He is going to approach the dealer tomorrow for replacement of both Headlights.
AMG Power is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks