Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 12th December 2019, 15:30   #4021
BHPian

re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistakenguy View Post
Are you saying that the RTO charges would be charged based on the discounted value and not the listed price ? I was told by my SA that the road tax will be charged on the actual ex showroom price and not on the discounted price.
Your SA is correct. Discounts have no bearing on the Road tax amount !
Old 12th December 2019, 17:38   #4022
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
When I enquired I. Chennai two different dealers told different things. One said it will be on the discounted ex showroom and other said it will be on the actual. There was a case which was filed by a lawyer as they charged him extra road tax for his Volvo based on the actual ex showroom. The ruling clearly stated that RTO charges should be on the invoice value and the money was refunded to him.
Old 12th December 2019, 18:45   #4023
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ManShow View Post
When I enquired I. Chennai two different dealers told different things. One said it will be on the discounted ex showroom and other said it will be on the actual. There was a case which was filed by a lawyer as they charged him extra road tax for his Volvo based on the actual ex showroom. The ruling clearly stated that RTO charges should be on the invoice value and the money was refunded to him.
As far as I know it is on the listed ex-showroom price. You can visit the local RTO office and check with them. That would be best. Since this is a State tax, perhaps rules could be different in different states.... but let us know your findings. It would be interesting.
Old 13th December 2019, 09:32   #4024
Senior - BHPian

Given that most customers today get the car financed and cars get financed about 100% of the ex-showroom value, getting the discount on the invoice will reduce the finance on the car too. Hence the ex-showroom price of the car is not touched and full value is mentioned on the invoice. And hence the RTO charges will also remain the same.
Old 13th December 2019, 17:14   #4025
BHPian

Hello BHPian Brethren

I am taking my Octavia to the hills where the temperatures will be below freezing. Wanted to know whether I'll need to top up the radiator with Antifreeze of is the factory coolant enough? Please help me with this query.
Old 13th December 2019, 17:23   #4026
Senior - BHPian

G13 coolant spec already includes anti-freeze. That also gives it the Pink color that we see. You could keep a spare bottle of G13 coolant, engine oil, a spare battery or jump cable with you in the car. Battery is more susceptible to failing in cooler temps.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2019, 21:34   #4027
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathuranuj View Post
Hello BHPian Brethren

I am taking my Octavia to the hills where the temperatures will be below freezing.
Would love to hear about your journey when you are done. Do post it here.

Quote:
In my case ex showroom price on RTO invoice was about 70K lower than the invoice given to me by dealer.

Last edited by BlackPearl : 13th December 2019 at 21:42. Reason: Merged back to back posts. Thanks
Old 13th December 2019, 21:55   #4028
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathuranuj View Post
Hello BHPian Brethren

I am taking my Octavia to the hills where the temperatures will be below freezing. Wanted to know whether I'll need to top up the radiator with Antifreeze of is the factory coolant enough? Please help me with this query.
You can carry a jump starter kit apart from oil and coolant for topping up.

Also, consider carrying anti freeze additve to pour into the fuel tank. Prevents the fuel from freezing and will aid cold starts.
vishy76 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2019, 07:57   #4029
BHPian

Quote:
Just FYI, I checked with another dealer in Delhi (different from the one I am buying from) and he also confirmed that the RTO Charges are on the listed ex-showroom price. Anyways , you always get a certificate and a proper receipt for the amount paid, so no-one can mislead you on this one.
Old 14th December 2019, 08:41   #4030
BHPian

Quote:
Just FYI, I checked with another dealer in Delhi (different from the one I am buying from) and he also confirmed that the RTO Charges are on the listed ex-showroom price. Anyways, you always get a certificate and a proper receipt for the amount paid, so no-one can mislead you on this one.
We need to confirm as you said brother. Check this out.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...discounts.html (Telangana HC: Charge road tax on invoice (after discounts))
Old 14th December 2019, 11:08   #4031
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday i went to dealership to collect my RTA paperwork. They also gave me the price list copy and said RTA asks for it as tax is charged on ex-showroom price.
Old 14th December 2019, 13:55   #4032
BHPian

RTO tax is always on ex showroom price of the car, which is submitted to the RTO for all models and variants. If RTO charged road tax post discounts there would be massive evasion as people would then make cash payments and show discounts on paper. So ex showroom is like a ready reckoner rate for the car.
rkv_hunter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2019, 09:12   #4033
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Agree, would have been very useful to avoid being stuck on some ghat road at night with a dead battery!

Thinking of taking graaja's advice and buying a USB battery voltmeter. Loads on Amazon but any tips please? Want a compact one.

This is what I also see on my MY16 TSI:
Suddenly realized that my OBDeleven Pro module can help with the battery State of Charge ('SoC'). Was pleased to see it has a specific app for this and the results are below.

My car is used almost daily for 70 km+ so I don't fear 'unused battery' drain. However, will definitely use it before outstation trips. The first one is with engine on and second is off.

Frankly surprised by the 12.265v reading. I used the car last 3 days back plus it's only 14 C here at night. Could that be the reason?

Will keep an eye on it.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-soc.jpeg  

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-screenshot_20191215093611.jpg  

Last edited by SDP : 15th December 2019 at 14:05. Reason: Merging.
Old 17th December 2019, 11:48   #4034

Road tax should be on the invoice price not the listed price - but changes from state to state. In Hyderabad, there was a case where the high court ordered the RTA to refund the excess tax collected by them. I understand from my SA that this is now a settled matter in Hyderabad.

On a different note, my SA just updated that Skoda has no plans to produce quartz gray in December. This, after waiting patiently for the last 20 days. What a disappointment! Looks like my Skoda journey is ending before it started.
Old 17th December 2019, 11:59   #4035
BHPian

Quote:
Hi, I had actually read this one before but this is not a class action suit wherein the benefits percolate down to car buyers at large. This benefits may be confined to Telangana state only....

Last edited by Timothy : 17th December 2019 at 12:07.
Timothy is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed