Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 24th January 2020, 17:06   #4246
Mtv
BHPian

re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by praveen789 View Post
Umm. The second photo is of my own Octavia 1.8 TSI which I had clicked at the time of delivery so unless the dealer has fooled me and sold me a diesel, I am pretty sure it is a TSI and not a TDI
My mistake then, I suppose it's a new engine cover. This EA888 engine has had the same engine cover forever now. The one you have looks similar to the TDI's cover. Just googled an image to clarify
Mtv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2020, 22:05   #4247
sud
BHPian

105K service update:
Got my 105K service done this week. I had to do this service 1500 kms ahead of scheduled interval because I encountered following issues:
1. Noticed engine oil leak at the bottom. On checking engine oil level didn't notice any major drop but still didn't want to take any chance here.
2. AC foul smell and cooling was almost not there. (I was very worried that compressor might have gone kaput and mine is out of extended warranty as well)
3. Driver power window lifter kit replacement (This was pending from 90K service. Replacement delayed because of non-availability of part at that time).

During underbody inspection at the service centre following issues were confirmed:
1. Confirmed engine oil leak and seems like oil pan gasket has given up.
2. One of the engine rubber mounting bush has cracked.

Following things were carried out as part of the service:
- Regular service replacement of engine oil / air filter / fuel filter / pollen filter / brake fluid & brake cleaning
- Complete checkup of A/C system . No major issues found in electrical system or compressor. So gas was replaced. Now cooling seems to be fine.
- Replacement of engine rubber mounting. (Costed around Rs. 3000 including labour)
- Replacement of Engine oil pan gasket. (Costed around Rs. 2500 including labour)
- Replacement of driver power window lifter kit. (Costed around Rs. 12K including labour)

Total service cost: ~ Rs. 34.3K.

I had to leave the car in the service station for 5 days. Power window lifter kit part availability delayed it by 3 days and I really want that to get fixed this time as it was really irritating without being able to open the window.
sud is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 24th January 2020, 23:31   #4248
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick145 View Post
This doesn't work. It works only when in the Phone menu. Doesn't work otherwise.
I made a video of the menu in my car. I was not in phone menu when I called myself and I still got phone answer options without having to get in to phone menu. Is it different in L&K virtual cockpit?

Last edited by satish_appasani : 24th January 2020 at 23:33.
Old 24th January 2020, 23:33   #4249
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satish_appasani View Post
I made a video of the menu in my car. I was not in phone menu when I called myself and I still got phone answer options without having to get in to phone menu.
Which model are you having? It doesn't look like the Virtual Cockpit of the current model.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 26th January 2020 at 21:05. Reason: Removed video within quote.
Old 24th January 2020, 23:35   #4250
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Which model are you having? It doesn't look like the Virtual Cockpit of the current model.
Mine is Onyx which doesn't come with virtual cockpit.
Old 24th January 2020, 23:38   #4251
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satish_appasani View Post
Mine is Onyx which doesn't come with virtual cockpit.
Okay. Mine is L & K.

Anyways I have configured the Virtual Cockpit in such a manner that it keeps showing the Phone Menu in the centre to allow me to answer calls. Its ugly and not utilarian but seems like the only option.
Old 25th January 2020, 00:37   #4252
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Okay. Mine is L & K.

Anyways I have configured the Virtual Cockpit in such a manner that it keeps showing the Phone Menu in the centre to allow me to answer calls. Its ugly and not utilarian but seems like the only option.
Mine is L&K with Virtual Cockpit and I also get the phone screen when it rings for me to answer using the steering. Once the call ends, it goes back to the set screen (live fuel economy ).
Old 25th January 2020, 09:45   #4253
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sud View Post
105K service update:

During underbody inspection at the service centre following issues were confirmed:
1. Confirmed engine oil leak and seems like oil pan gasket has given up.
2. One of the engine rubber mounting bush has cracked.

Following things were carried out as part of the service:
- Regular service replacement of engine oil / air filter / fuel filter / pollen filter / brake fluid & brake cleaning
- Complete checkup of A/C system . No major issues found in electrical system or compressor. So gas was replaced. Now cooling seems to be fine.
- Replacement of engine rubber mounting. (Costed around Rs. 3000 including labour)
- Replacement of Engine oil pan gasket. (Costed around Rs. 2500 including labour)
- Replacement of driver power window lifter kit. (Costed around Rs. 12K including labour)

Total service cost: ~ Rs. 34.3K.
Hi Sud,

Not an outlandish expense if I may say so for a 100K service. You can be sure it's probably far cheaper than a TDI service at the same mileage. Had a quick question as to how many sets of brakes have you gone through yet?

My vehicle is at TAFE being diagnosed for the F-LHS 'whine' and sunroof. Both have now been replicated by the technical team and they will replace the LHS driveshaft with another one and check first before moving on to other steps. The sunroof noise also they have experienced, and are assuring me they will fix it. Has anyone on the forum changed an Octavia driveshaft before? I don't think it is a common occurrence at all.

One comical incident is that they formally notified me via PDF/email that I have non-standard equipment in my car. When I queried (first time the attachment was missing), they responded that the aftermarket Exide battery and my glued-on paddle shifters were identified as so/. Can appreciate them doing CYA about the battery (exact same DIN60 as the original worthless Varta) but glued-on paddle shifters? Seriously? I will insist that they also note all my glued-on enhancements like the fake exhaust vents, chrome trim on the AC switch, dashboard side air vents etc.

Anyway, keeping fingers crossed - with Vinayak selling out to another principal there is not much choice. The market rumour is that the new principal will buy out the Vinayak business in a slump sale, and set up shop either in the same premises or in nearby areas. I do hope they move the Okalipuram premises to a more accessible location - every time I return from there I feel I've lost one more of my lives.

Last edited by itwasntme : 25th January 2020 at 09:50.
itwasntme is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2020, 17:25   #4254
sud
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Not an outlandish expense if I may say so for a 100K service.
Yes not very high. Overall it is Rs. 24K for parts and Rs. 10K for labour. The only thing which surprised me was the cost of lifter kit (note this doesn't include any electrical component). I wish and hope that the trend doesn't continue

Quote:
Had a quick question as to how many sets of brakes have you gone through yet?
My brake set changes are as follows:
45K kms - Replaced front brake pads. No wearing indicator came but on inspection decided to replace it.
85K kms - Replaced discs and brake pads. Got wearing indicator warning. Rear discs had scoring but front discs can run bit more. But decided to change all and along with brake pads.

Quote:
One comical incident is that they formally notified me via PDF/email that I have non-standard equipment in my car. When I queried (first time the attachment was missing), they responded that the aftermarket Exide battery and my glued-on paddle shifters were identified as so/.
This is ridiculous and I hope Skoda don't quote these as reason for not giving any warranty/goodwill warranty. For me SA himself suggested to change battery outside.
I was hearing from my SA that Skoda is making the overall warranty process tougher with more paper works. I would have also loved them to make their components more reliable.
sud is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 26th January 2020, 12:36   #4255
sud
BHPian

Quote:
One comical incident is that they formally notified me via PDF/email that I have non-standard equipment in my car. When I queried (first time the attachment was missing), they responded that the aftermarket Exide battery and my glued-on paddle shifters were identified as so/.
I just noticed that in the service bill I paid, they had a fine note which read: "Caution : Non genuine fitment found, which may be fire hazards, Kindly get it corrected as soon as possible.". There is no further information on what they found to be non-genuine fitment. This was not explained to me while taking the car from service. Except battery which I changed outside (this is what their SA also recommended) there is nothing else. Have written to them asking for explanation. I hope they don't consider the tyre pressure inflator or some other additional tools which I kept in boot as non-standard fitment
Old 26th January 2020, 16:30   #4256
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vickyP View Post
Hello All,

With now over 20 days with my Octavia L&K - I realized something about the music, sort of a revelation for me (though I need to establish if this is indeed consistent with others).
One of the reasons for me opting for the L&K, along with a few others, was the option of having the Canton Music System (with the sub-woofer). Though during the test drives, I did try it and found it to be good - I had never given it a due focus as I was kind of convinced that as all the reviews have mentioned it to be a great one - so it must be great! The focus during the test drive was always around the other must haves for me, in terms of driving & related dynamics. Also my previous car - Vento TSI - had a good music system which made me believe that this one should be anything but better.

Now post the car purchase, I have been using the wired Apple CarPlay through all these days - as I use Google Maps during the usual commutes and been streaming music through Apple Music. Though the quality of music has been good but I wasn't blown away as I had expected. Even with some tweaks to the equalizer settings in the car system (a little heavy on the bass), I did not feel it to be a major improvement over what it was in my Vento and wondered what all the fuss about Canton system was about. Though I made peace with the fact that this is how it is going to be, but was definitely a little disappointed.
And then, a couple of days back I was trying to use the car's inbuilt navigation and experiencing the same on the virtual cockpit and thus had not connected my phone to the wired carplay. Now during that time, when I played the music over the bluetooth (again through Apple Music only) - I was simply blown away with the difference of the output quality. This is when I realized the substantial difference when the music was playing through wired carplay vs over the bluetooth. If I preferred my volume to be around 50% with the wired carplay connection (when I want it a little loud), then I get a similar output at 30% itself when using bluetooth and probably with better clarity as well. To top it all, the track names and all are visible on the virtual cockpit when played through the bluetooth (media on the system) but not when done through Apple CarPlay.

So a few quick question to the experts:
  1. Is this consistent with what others have experienced or do I have any issue/ missing any settings?
  2. Do I need to check if the connecting cable is the culprit? I bought a short cable from Amazon recently for my use in the car. I shall test this soon with the original cable & check if it differs.
  3. Is there anyway that I can use the Apple CarPlay wirelessly?
Another query with respect to the touchscreen system on the car - The touch & responsiveness of the system is great, but we all know that it is a fingerprint magnet like crazy. Has anyone found a resolution to this? Would using a tempered glass protector help in any way? I found a relevant one on Amazon and was considering the same. Any experiences?

I can confirm that this is a problem. I tried Bluetooth and Android Auto connectivity and the output is definitely degraded while using Android Auto through the cable.

Also, the volume cum power button is very shabbily designed. It keeps rotating and the power symbol also rotates along with it. Volume can be further increased even after the screen shows maximum volume. Just keep rotating the button.

Unbelievable, how Skoda could ignore such things!
Old 26th January 2020, 16:38   #4257
BHPian

Quote:
I just noticed that in the service bill I paid, they had a fine note which read: "Caution : Non genuine fitment found, which may be fire hazards, Kindly get it corrected as soon as possible.". There is no further information on what they found to be non-genuine fitment.
They will take a photo if any non OEM (mechanical or electrical) fitment and take an acknowledgement from the owner. If you have a dash cam wired to the fuse box, this could be the reason
zebo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2020, 18:59   #4258
sud
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebo View Post
They will take a photo if any non OEM (mechanical or electrical) fitment and take an acknowledgement from the owner. If you have a dash cam wired to the fuse box, this could be the reason
By signing the billing copy I guess I have made a passive acknowledgement. But I would have expected them to explain it at the least. And even in the note there is no specific information on what is the non-OEM fitment. Except the battery I replaced outside, no other mechanical or electrical fitment (not even dash cam). I am awaiting a response from TAFE. I will update once I get a reply from them.
Old 26th January 2020, 20:02   #4259
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am awaiting a response from TAFE. I will update once I get a reply from them.
At least in my case they sent me a system-generated PDF document. Formally ask them for it on email.
itwasntme is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2020, 10:36   #4260
sud
BHPian

Quote:
At least in my case they sent me a system-generated PDF document. Formally ask them for it on email.
I didn't get any system generated pdf. It is just in the billing invoice. I have written to them over email on Saturday. I am awaiting their response. My SA is out of town and couldn't reach him as well.

Most Viewed