Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2020, 17:53   #4441
BHPian

re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
Hi,

Can anyone please advise on where I can get the 3D Kagu Maxpider floor mats for my Octavia 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
They were easily available in Bangalore at least pre-lockdown. I could not locate the mobile numbers of the owners / managers themselves but Google for Hot Tracks Bangalore.
Hot tracks had stock in beige colour, they even confirmed me black is on the way and should be available now. This is as on 14th March, given this lockdown closure I believe those should be still available.

Cheers!
treadmark is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2020, 19:39   #4442
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
Please don't go the mechanic, try this on your own:
In short, replacing the headlight could be avoided if its just the bulb that's faulty. First do the bulb swap then decide further.
I can't agree more. I was in a similar situation when I brought a pre-owned Jetta 2 years back. It was sort of loose connection resulting in issues with driver side headlight, got resolved by just re-plugging HID Bulb connector.

Later when I decided to change the OEM D3S bulb to OSRAM nightbreakers unlimited D3S HID, sourcing the same in India was a real challenge and quote was at least 2x the US cost, that to not sure of originality. Later got it from US.

The HID bulb removal in Jetta was a story by itself. I was forced to remove the headlight and replace the bulb. Headlight assembly removal/refit was easier than bulb removal/refit.

Headlight assembly will not come with D3S bulbs, your mechanic or service center will charge additional cost for the D3S too, a pair of osram d3s night breaker unlimited D3S HID bulbs will be priced ~USD200.

So there may not be any use in replacing the headlight assembly, as nothing can go wrong with the headlight assembly with normal usage. It will be either electrical or cable connectivity or bulb.

Last edited by manjubp : 28th May 2020 at 19:47.
manjubp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2020, 20:44   #4443
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by treadmark View Post
Hot tracks had stock in beige colour, they even confirmed me black is on the way and should be available now. This is as on 14th March, given this lockdown closure I believe those should be still available.

Cheers!
Many Thanks ! Actually the beige are available with another dealer from Chennai for 7K & he was fine to ship them to Delhi, but I need the black ones. So I guess will wait just a bit longer !
Timothy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2020, 21:51   #4444
BHPian

You can try the Mumbai dealer for 3d mats. Car Point in opera house . I had got mats for my fluidic verna from this shop in 2018. Shipping can be done via India Post.
M124 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2020, 20:58   #4445
Distinguished - BHPian

Believe 205/55/16 is now available in PS4. Great news for Octavia owners. Absolutely fresh stocks and MRP is the standard 8.5K.
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-...hed-india.html (Michelin Pilot Sport 4 officially launched in India!)

Please exchange your tyres if they have some resale value!

Last edited by itwasntme : 30th May 2020 at 21:00.
itwasntme is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th May 2020, 21:14   #4446
BHPian

So a question for new Octavia owners; i guess there are already a couple of members who have the recent L&K variant with the Active Info Display.

Has anyone come across a screen protector for the digital display ?
There are some listings on AliExpress but i am a bit apprehensive ordering from that site going by the possibility of delays and recent shipping experiences posted on other threads.

Now that the Karoq and Superb are also using the same unit, some screen protectors may become available in the local markets soon.

AliExpress Link

Is there any WhatsApp/Telegram group of Octavia owners? I'd love to be a member.

Last edited by theMandarin : 30th May 2020 at 21:28.
Old 31st May 2020, 00:59   #4447
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarfraz1997 View Post
Yeah, I wanted to take a drive and then think over. The rear seats and suspension are just amazing in the Jetta.

Do the yellowing DRL's cause any other issues? Or has there been any revision in the product number to fix this? Or is there any reason this happens? The AC needs to be maintained I guess. There is some oil or something. I don't recall exactly but yes, there is some preventive care with which it can be avoided atleast on the Jetta. I'm guessing it would be the same on Octavia.
But, is the compressor issue a common one on the Octavia's? This is the pre facelift 2015 Octavia since it has the elegance name and not style.

Yeah, the flywheel is notorious on the Jetta too. I don't remember the symptoms of a bad flywheel though. Pls let me know in case if you know about the symptoms.
The yellow DRLs will look very ungainly and you will have a warning on the instrument cluster saying they have conked off. I am not sure about this part but yes, earlier Octavias aren't spared of this issue. I think it's the heat that causes them to eventually fade and go yellow, then conk off. If they are about to go bad, you will find a yellow tinge to them when looking through naked eye instead of a clean whitish blue.

The compressor oil needs to be changed as a preventive measure. It's a good practice. Even if the compressor does fail, it's usually the clutch that goes bad and that can be changed for a sum of less than 10K at FNGs as compared to paying 70K at Skoda ASC.

Symptoms of a bad flywheel:

- Very pronounced clanging noises from underneath the car similar to the sound of two metals hitting each other

- Vibrations which can clearly be felt on the steering wheel and throughout the car
vishy76 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2020, 01:06   #4448
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishy76 View Post
The compressor oil needs to be changed as a preventive measure. It's a good practice. Even if the compressor does fail, it's usually the clutch that goes bad and that can be changed for a sum of less than 10K at FNGs as compared to paying 70K at Skoda ASC.
Hi, I didn't get what clutch you're talking about. Is there a clutch of some sort in the compressor?
Or if it's the DSG clutch, is this a common issue?

Last edited by sarfraz1997 : 31st May 2020 at 01:07. Reason: Messed up the quote
Old 31st May 2020, 01:10   #4449
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarfraz1997 View Post
Hi, I didn't get what clutch you're talking about. Is there a clutch of some sort in the compressor?
Or if it's the DSG clutch, is this a common issue?
It's a clutch inside the compressor. It engages and disengages the compressor according to commands from the ECU depending on whether you have switched the air con on, engine temperature and engine speed. Can go bad and if it does, it won't engage at all leading to no cooling.
vishy76 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2020, 02:25   #4450

Hello everyone!

Hope you all doing fine. I’m planning to buy a 2015 TDI CR AT in new delhi. I’m currently driving a swift 2012 and it has around 150k on odo so I think that its time to let go. I’ll be using the octavia as as my daily drive(35-40kms) but I’m really concerned about the repair costs. Regular maintenance wont be an issue(if its around 20k) but I’ve read about a lot of DSG issues in these cars. I talked to a car dealer in my society and he told me to go with a ciaz or brezza because turbo and gearbox replacement in an octavia costs 1lakh+. However I think I’ve driven a maruti a lot and its time to move to some other brands. Can someone tell me that do these cars really have such serious issues?

I’m getting a 56k driven for 11l and I haven’t negotiated yet. Dealer says that the car is well maintained and has all the service records. I’ll plan a visit in a couple of days so what things should I look in order to make sure that its not a mechanically totalled car.
My other options are toyota corolla 2015 and a creta 2018(not really into it)

P.S I wont keep the car for more than 3 years.
Old 31st May 2020, 06:22   #4451

Quote:
On the problematic headlight, remove the dust cap behind, and remove the bulb by twisting it anticlockwise and wiggling out the small connector at the bottom.
I tried doing this, but was unable to twist the bulb. I also took my car to a place which does car HID lights and stereo. They suggested replacing the bulbs with Excelite bulbs costing around 6k for a pair, which they would source on order.

I asked them to check the bulbs by swapping them first. The guy there was also not able to twist and remove the bulb. He then tried to take out the Headlight unit by removing a few screws but was not successful. He then wanted to open up the bumper at which point I asked him if it would be better to take it to a Skoda mechanic, and he said that it would be a better option.

Quote:
Please don't go the mechanic, try this on your own:
I have my original bulbs lying around so PM me if you need them, I will list them on the classifieds.
I hunted around for the PM option to contact you about the bulbs, but later realised I don't see it because I am at the newbie membership level. What are my options to contact you? Can I reply if you send me a PM?

Thanks.
Old 31st May 2020, 18:21   #4452
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by M124 View Post
You can try the Mumbai dealer for 3d mats. Car Point in opera house . I had got mats for my fluidic verna from this shop in 2018. Shipping can be done via India Post.
Black 3D Kagu ones are not available any longer anywhere. I am getting only in beige colour thru several dealers in Chennai, Bangalore & thru Hottracks and none of them could commit if the black ones could be expected anytime in the near future But the beige colour doesn't appeal to me. So I have now finally ordered a set from Elegant Auto accessories.

I had recently bought a car cover from them for the Octavia and generally am happy with their quality and the material. The one that I had bought from the Octavia dealer was of poor quality and lasted only a couple of months. So I have taken a leap of faith and gone with Elegant for their luxury carpet mats. Day before, I visited one of their studios here in Delhi and they have 2 sets of carpet mats, one regular which was kind of hard and the other soft feel luxury with a thicker pile, so went ahead with the latter. They are made to order and will be delivered this coming week.

They also had their own brand of 3D mats , but I didn't quite like them. Carpet mats should work fine for me as they can be just taken out & dusted. If I am generally happy then I may order the boot mat from them also. The L&K variant has a sub woofer at the back which protrudes out, so I will ask them to customise it accordingly, should I decide to go ahead with them. The store employee at their Studio was very friendly and helpful with great customer service etiquettes which kind of elevated my buying experience !
Timothy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2020, 06:58   #4453

Quote:
On Amazon I could find only this single bulb, but this the brightest bulb tested in the 35W category and its worth if you're looking for brighter bulbs, but do buy a set then. https://www.amazon.in/Breaker-Bright...0661692&sr=8-1
The one you mentioned is the Osram Night Breaker Laser Xenarc. I found another option which is cheaper - Osram Original Xenarc - Hid D3s 4150k 66340 Bulb (35w)
https://www.amazon.in/Osram-HID-4150...dp/B007A0UW2E/

Any idea how this compares to the original Philips Xenstart bulb?
Old 4th June 2020, 11:32   #4454
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldtravelbug View Post
I found another option which is cheaper - Osram Original Xenarc - Hid D3s 4150k 66340 Bulb (35w)
This one is the standard OEM bulb same as the Philips Xenstart. This is obviously cheaper, but since you're having to buy a new bulb I strongly suggest getting Morimoto XB 5500K. They're half the price of Osram, with similar performance.

The Nightbreaker Laser Xenarc that I suggested, are almost twice is bright as the standard bulb. Thats why the cost difference. Go to powerbulbs.com you'll find everything you need, with fast shipping, 20% discount, but do check they are shipping to India nowadays or not? I am not aware if international couriers are being received in India due to the pandemic situation or not. If they say they have recently shipped to India and it'll be delivered, go for it. But obviously you'll have to wait slightly longer and it might be inconvenient since you have only one bulb running at the moment.

I would go for the Morimoto option I mentioned above.

Quote:
Excelite bulbs costing around 6k for a pair, which they would source on order.
Don't buy this!

Quote:
He then wanted to open up the bumper.
Removal of headlights is not possible without removal of the bumper partially. Best done at the Skoda workshop. Most workshops have resumed services now, why don't you just go there and get it checked to fully diagnose the issue whether its the bulb or the headlight?

Option 1. Go to Skoda, if bulb is faulty, ask them for a single new bulb. Or buy a set of Morimoto XB 5500K from Retrorides. It'll cost probably the same as a single Philips / Osram bulb, and I personally prefer Morimoto for their value for money quotient.
Option 2. If you can wait, order any good Osram bulbs from Powerbulbs. You'll save some money and you'll get OEM branded bulbs with higher reliability.
Option 3. If the headlight is faulty, get a warranty / goodwill replacement.

Its pretty simple, check your manual if you want to try swapping the bulb yourself, or check this .
adi_petrolhead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2020, 16:01   #4455

Quote:
Its pretty simple, check your manual if you want to try swapping the bulb yourself, or check this video.
Thanks to you, I was able to swap the bulbs and now I have a working right headlight. Even though you had given clear instructions in your previous post and I tried (and the car sound and lights shop staff did too) but was not able to remove the bulb the other day. Thanks to the video you posted, I got the confidence to twist a little harder and was able to remove the bulb and after swapping the left and right bulbs, concluded that it was just a faulty bulb. Here is an image of it:Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-faulty-bulb.jpg

Quote:
I would go for the Morimoto option I mentioned above.
Thanks for the advice on the bulb selection. I am happy with the brightness of the original bulbs, so would like to know if your original bulbs are still available. I can't PM you due to my membership level.

Quote:
Most workshops have resumed services now, why don't you just go there and get it checked to fully diagnose the issue whether its the bulb or the headlight?
Unfortunately the Skoda service center in Mysore has closed down, so that was not an option. But now that I have swapped and checked the bulbs, I just need to get the replacement bulb.

Most Viewed