Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 30th September 2020, 21:45   #4591
BHPian

re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay_b View Post
If you're referring to the Grey Octy on OLX with the registration number ending with 0229, I was interested in this car a few weeks ago as well.

I'd highly recommend you to get the car thoroughly checked at Skoda before you finalize. Also get the extended warranty pack like Timothy suggested.
Yes, the same car.

Wow, there are probably not enough Octavias in the Bangalore market or it seems dealers are doing all their business from OLX only!

Unfortunately, that car dealer informed me yesterday that he sold that car. I guess I need to check OLX/CarDekho more often. Please do message me here if you find any Octavia, I am searching for it since 2018 and need to close the deal
Old 4th October 2020, 00:38   #4592
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ0010 View Post
Hello,
I bought a Octavia 1.8tsi in the month of february and I’ve driven around 4500kms till date because of the lock down and continuous duties at work. I have faced the following issues over .....
Sorry to hear about your experience. I own Octavia 1.8 tsi style plus since Oct 2016. Have covered almost 40k kms . Have never faced any issues with breaks, no sunroof rattles even. Although my AC condenser was replaced under warranty last year.
With Octavia, you get a whole lot of car(almost an Audi A4) for almost half the price. Hence, the reliability and consistency in quality takes a hit to keep the price in check. Just avail the maximum available warranty for peace of mind. And be mentally prepared that it's not going to be as reliable as a Toyota corolla.
At the end, it's the sheer driving pleasure that one gets in this car, makes us forget its shortcomings.
Wish your problems are addressed appropriately by Skoda soon and you have a trouble free ownership.
Old 5th October 2020, 13:04   #4593

Hi Everyone,

I wanted to know if there is any DIY solution to fixing the door and sunroof beadings squeaks.

Whenever there is some longitudenal torsion on the body of the car, I can hear these squeaks and are quite irritating.

is WD40 of any help? or will it damage the beading rubber?
Old 5th October 2020, 13:28   #4594
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automagical View Post
I wanted to know if there is any DIY solution to fixing the door and sunroof beadings squeaks.

is WD40 of any help? or will it damage the beading rubber?
Source this from somewhere: Nextzett Gummi Pflege. Works like magic if you reapply every couple of months depending upon the weather:

https://www.autogeek.net/1z-einszett...are-stick.html

https://www.cart2india.com/rubber-ca...SABEgLJ3_D_BwE

Totally avoid WD40 - it will eat through your beadings in record time.
itwasntme is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th October 2020, 13:54   #4595

Thank you sir for the suggestion,
Will definitely try this and post feedback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Source this from somewhere: Nextzett Gummi Pflege. Works like magic if you reapply every couple of months depending upon the weather:

https://www.autogeek.net/1z-einszett...are-stick.html

https://www.cart2india.com/rubber-ca...SABEgLJ3_D_BwE

Totally avoid WD40 - it will eat through your beadings in record time.
Old 6th October 2020, 22:13   #4596
BHPian

Tyre damaged... Need suggestions for a new set of tyres

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-img20201006183817.jpg
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-img20201006183801.jpg

Recently had to travel on some really bad roads. Did not know that the roads would be that bad. Had a thud bang several times in a 1000 Km return journey.
Today when I went for regular tyre pressure check, the guy over there pointed out that the tyre is damaged (bulged) and needs to be replaced. The other tyres according to him can do another 20K Km but I wanted to get tyres with better ride quality and grip anyway. Based on feedback on team bhp Michelin Primacy 4 st are a great choice but the guy at the tyre shop warned me that Michelins have a problem with side wall cracking and there is no unconditional warranty for Michelins. Other recommendations are Yokohama, Bridgestone and Pirelli. Every tyre dealer is trying to push for the brand that they have advertised in their banner. I would love to get Michelins but not sure about how much impact they can take on Indian roads. Bridgestone and Yokohama offer unconditional warranty (3 Years and 18 Months respectively) Need suggestions from you guys on what would be a good choice given the fact that I prefer a smooth ride would like to avoid excessive stiffness. Is it possible to preserve Michelins over bad roads which we encounter so often no matter where we go. Also Michelin availability is not great and the stock would be early 2020 or most likely 2019.
Old 7th October 2020, 09:53   #4597
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikrantshete View Post
Tyre damaged... Need suggestions for a new set of tyres

Based on feedback on team bhp Michelin Primacy 4 st are a great choice but the guy at the tyre shop warned me that Michelins have a problem with side wall cracking and there is no unconditional warranty for Michelins. Other recommendations are Yokohama, Bridgestone and Pirelli. Bridgestone and Yokohama offer unconditional warranty (3 Years and 18 Months respectively)
I'd say go for Michelin P4ST anyway AND drive with more care (& luck) on the bad roads. The pros outweigh the cons. From the pictures, I can see that the original Goodyears have been badly damaged - if they get this kind of bulge, any other brand also will.
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2020, 13:06   #4598
BHPian

Quote:
I'd say go for Michelin P4ST anyway AND drive with more care (& luck) on the bad roads.
There is no Michelin stock available in Pune at the moment. The best I could find is 2 tyres from Jan 2020.
Michelin won't be available for at least another 3 months. Driving with a spare tyre for that long might not be a good idea as it might strain the differential locking and other systems as the tyre comes in R15 steel rim.

The other options are
1) Replace one tyre with another Goodyear NCT5 (or similar from Goodyear). Skoda dealership is charging 8000+ for that and wheel alignment and service charges will be additional. Might have to get replaced in a local store as the same thing will be cheaper.
2) I have been suggested Yokohama Blu Earth GT which has been recently launched in India and will be manufactured in India. It is a luxury sport tyre inclined more towards luxury but I'm not sure it will match the comfort and grip of Michelins.

Any suggestions are most welcome
Old 9th October 2020, 14:44   #4599
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Driving with a spare tyre for that long might not be a good idea as it might strain the differential locking and other systems as the tyre comes in R15 steel rim.

The other options are
1) Replace one tyre with another Goodyear NCT5 (or similar from Goodyear).

2) I have been suggested Yokohama Blu Earth GT which has been recently launched in India and will be manufactured in India.
1. Are you sure the spare is a R15? In 4.5 years I never had to use the spare , so I never looked closely ().

2. Buying a new NCT5 and that too for 8K is a waste of money. I'd suggest calling up BOM dealers too, and checking for Michelin P4ST or PS4 stock. Won't harm you and will take a hour to do. They can always ship at the parcel cost price.

3. Call the Michelin regional office as well. I tried them a few years back when I was looking for fresh stock of P3ST in upsize 225/50/16 and they tried their best to help.

4. The Yoko sounds good although you may become the guinea pig here. Same with the new Continental 6 series which is also being launched.

5. Consider MRF Perfinzas too. Most users have spoken very highly of them + they are substantially cheaper than Michelins. MRF also runs offers much more so you might get a superb deal at this time of the year.

Hope this helps, let us know how it goes.

Last edited by itwasntme : 9th October 2020 at 14:48.
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2020, 15:50   #4600

Quote:
Driving with a spare tyre for that long might not be a good idea as it might strain the differential locking and other systems as the tyre comes in R15 steel rim.
My 2015 Octavia came with a R16 spare tyre. One of my Michelin tyres had a couple of punctures at the same place, so I replaced the Michelin with the spare Goodyear NCT5 tyre (put it on the alloy) for the time being.
Planning on replacing all four tyres in a couple of months.
rodmart is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2020, 17:41   #4601
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodmart View Post
My 2015 Octavia came with a R16 spare tyre. ....
Planning on replacing all four tyres in a couple of months.
My bad. Seeing the steel rim I assumed it is smaller size just as it was in my previous car VW Vento. Checked the specs and it is exactly 205/55/R16 91V. The max load capacity is the same as other tyres. I guess I can sawp this tyre on the alloy wheel and wait for Michelins to be available. Thanks a lot!
Old 9th October 2020, 20:08   #4602
BHPian

Quote:
3. Call the Michelin regional office as well. I tried them a few years back when I was looking for fresh stock of P3ST in upsize 225/50/16 and they tried their best to help.

5. Consider MRF Perfinzas too. Most users have spoken very highly of them + they are substantially cheaper than Michelins. MRF also runs offers much more so you might get a superb deal at this time of the year.

Hope this helps, let us know how it goes.
I called a lot of dealers in Pune and some in Mumbai but nobody has the stock. One of the dealers said that there is a shortage because of the ban on Michelin imports due to current situation. Maybe Michelin is classified as non essential import. I called the Michelin official helpline. They gave me a distributor's number but the result was no different.

I called a nearby dealer for Perfinzas. He is quoting 8200 per tyre! I am not sure it is worth paying that much for MRFs. Though the tyres are from Aug/sept 2020 the price is not justified.

I checked team BHP thread for perfinzas and there are some users who are not satisfied. Not really sure about this but maybe in the long run like 30K+ Km perfinzas detiriorate in terms of road noise insulation and ride comfort. MRF doesn't yet seem to be a formidable competition for Michelin but feels more like a compromise at a hefty price per tyre.
Old 9th October 2020, 21:00   #4603
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I checked team BHP thread for perfinzas and there are some users who are not satisfied. Not really sure about this but maybe in the long run like 30K+ Km perfinzas detiriorate in terms of road noise insulation and ride comfort. MRF doesn't yet seem to be a formidable competition for Michelin but feels more like a compromise at a hefty price per tyre.
I also could not find Michelin when I bought the car. I wanted to get rid of the Apollo the same day, so I took perfinzas.

They look good! But, by the time I took the car from showroom and reached the showroom on a rainy day, it was dark and I was cheated/fooled by installing 1.8 years old tyres, in a 0 day old car.

These tyres don't balance! No matter what one does, are possibly defective and considering they are old, they aren't even as soft as my Polo GTs P3STs. So there goes my brand image/ value for MRFs, I'll not buy another one, even if this was my fault to have not checked the date!
SLK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2020, 23:20   #4604
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK View Post
They look good! But, by the time I took the car from showroom and reached the showroom on a rainy day, it was dark and I was cheated/fooled by installing 1.8 years old tyres, in a 0 day old car.

These tyres don't balance! No matter what one does, are possibly defective and considering they are old, they aren't even as soft as my Polo GTs P3STs. So there goes my brand image/ value for MRFs, I'll not buy another one, even if this was my fault to have not checked the date!
That is really sad to hear.

People in the tyre sales market are mostly interested in getting rid of their existing stock. They are not concerned about date of manufacturing, defects, user's driving habits, road conditions, budget and comfort or handling preferences etc. They themselves don't know what they are selling. Such an attitude by sellers makes people avoid experimentation and stick to tried and tested.

Someone told me yokohama earth1 are as good as Michelin p4st. I just can't believe how sales folks try to sell anything to anyone with any argument. Yokohama on their own website show that earth1 or blue earth are much below advan sport when it comes to premiumness. Advan sport could be compared to primacy 4 st but sales people compare earth 1 to primacy 4!

Thanks for sharing your experience with MRFs.

From the research in the last few days one thing is clear, if someone says "specially built for India" understand it's hard rubber and stay away from it if you were looking for something like primacy 4
Old 10th October 2020, 01:00   #4605
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That is really sad to hear.
Yes, sad and embarrassing!

Quote:
Thanks for sharing your experience with MRFs.

From the research in the last few days one thing is clear, if someone says "specially built for India" understand it's hard rubber and stay away from it if you were looking for something like primacy 4
I really don't have any complaints with perfrinzas but sure that P3ST seem softer and more silent. MRFs are grippy and not too noisy, my gripe is really that my pair doesn't balance. The 'Hunter' branded balancing equipment eventually reported (after 2 tries and several weights) that tyre can't be balanced, so continues to wobble at 3 digit speed.
SLK is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed