Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th October 2020, 12:17   #4636
BHPian

re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharktale View Post
The weirdest thing happened with my 1.5 year old Octy yesterday.

I thought the battery on the key fob battery had died, as the light on the keyfob was not glowing upon pressing any of the buttons. I immediately changed the battery on the remote, but to no avail. Even with the new battery, the remote is not working.
I am currently using my spare key to use the functions of remote locking/unlocking.

Does anybody else face a similar issue? Any resolutions for the same?
Old post, but exactly matching what happened with my car's key fob yesterday. Even the age of the car is close to 1.5 years now.
Fortunately the second key fob works, and I have to check the battery of the first one and see if replacing it works.
Anyone else with more recent experience on this issue?
Old 26th October 2020, 12:42   #4637
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nma83 View Post
Old post, but exactly matching what happened with my car's key fob yesterday. Even the age of the car is close to 1.5 years now.

I must say my knowledge about this issue is limited to Japanese cars. However, I think it may be relevant to the sophisticated Germans even more so. A point to note is my Micra was almost 7yrs old when this issue cropped up. Quoting from my post in another thread regarding the key fob battery -

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoosetoCruze View Post
My Micra’s fob required a battery change 2 yrs ago. I went to the local electronics store & got myself a cheap battery of the same size & installed it in my key fob. To my surprise (more like shock), the key fob now wouldn’t work at all and I had to lock/unlock the door using the physical keyhole.

Took the car to the Nissan dealer the next day, and turns out the battery which I had purchased was so bad, it had messed up the transponder in the fob. As a result, the dealer had to reprogram the fob using their dealer scan tool & put in a Nissan OEM replacement battery (I think Panasonic, made in Japan). The whole process cost me more than a thousand bucks!

After this experience, I’ve made a mental note to NEVER buy non OEM spec key fob batteries for any of our vehicles as I can’t afford to risk the cheap stuff ruin my key fob, or worse, the ECU/immobiliser.

I say penny wise, pound foolish. There are some bits in a vehicle which will only work best with OEM spares.
Old 26th October 2020, 16:19   #4638
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nma83 View Post
Old post, but exactly matching what happened with my car's key fob yesterday.
Hi,
I remember, having gone through same experience few months back.

I have updated the incident quite in detail in this thread only at post #4554, you may please go through it. Hope, it would help you resolving the issue.
��

Btw, my spare key fob has given up now and I've decided to take the issue to ASS workshop during my next visit (on 12th Nov) for the 3rd regular Servicing.

Will update about the outcome then.
Old 27th October 2020, 14:45   #4639
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
A Google search on the part number indicated on it - 06L121111H says thermostat and water pump housing.

eBay Germany has the part for 186 Euros inclusive of international shipping.

https://www.ebay.de/itm/06L121111-Fu...e/333675346092

Maybe with a bit more searching you can find one cheaper elsewhere?
I thought I could manage by checking the level before starting a journey. It turned out that the leak just intensified by showing up below. Looks like the joints just opened up with the pressure. I couldn't wait and gave it to PPS service today for rectification.

Is it just my car or is it the Skoda Octavia in general? It was peaceful for the first year and it's hardly 10K km driven since I bought it 2 years back after checking the service history and drive feel with no smoke. Now, since the lockdown, it seems to throw up recurring problems.

I had to replace the air bypass sensor. A rat, somehow, had taken a liking for this car. It damaged the AC vent mesh which costed me a lot to make rat safe.

With the thermostat issue now, the spare part really cost a bomb. Not sure what else is on the plate. I hear it's often prone to flywheel issues.

What's the general opinion on this car for long-term ownership? Mine has clocked 67k on the odometer.

Last edited by Aditya : 28th October 2020 at 09:00. Reason: Language
Old 27th October 2020, 16:37   #4640
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abacusv View Post
Whats the general feel on this car to own longer. Mine is clocking at 67k on odo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
This adage has been quoted to death, but worth repeating.

A luxury car may cost a budget car price to buy, but will cost you a luxury car price to maintain.

Budget cost-of-purchase, luxury cost-of-ownership. Follow your heart, but try not to orphan your pocket.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
German luxury on a budget is an oxymoron. You may be able to buy cheap but to run it and maintain it you may need to extend your budget. If you are conservative avoid luxury marquees.

Here's some food for thought.
https://Youtu.be/zwVxpSs3Kyo
I think this post is severely underrated & needs to be highlighted and pasted in BOLD in the used car guide on tbhp.

German cars (especially used) turn into endless money pits as they age. Sure they look & ride great & are fun to drive. But when they break, they are capable of breaking the bank for somebody who isn’t aware of their exorbitant maintenance costs.

It honestly pains me to see people have mini heart attacks, when they find out the repair costs, when something goes wrong on a German vehicle.

Bottom line - don’t buy German vehicles & expect them to have similar maintenance costs as the Japanese.

Last edited by ChoosetoCruze : 27th October 2020 at 16:42.
ChoosetoCruze is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th October 2020, 17:23   #4641
BHPian

I owned a 2011 Vento TDI till last year and there were some songs that I loved mainly for their bass. The kind of music that starts slow, and then drops the bass at a point giving goosebumps. I was super excited to try these as soon as I got my 2019 Octavia L&K, but I was superbly disappointed! Even with a subwoofer and gazillion speakers, I didn't get any bass. I initially thought that it's probably because the equalizer was set differently. So I tried setting it to maximum bass, but to no major improvements.

Did anyone ever feel that the stock 4-speaker set up of a VW Polo or Vento have better bass than the Canton system in the L&K variant? Or considering that I took delivery from Vinayak Skoda Bangalore, any chance that they might have just replaced the Canton system to a cheap something?

From the reviews I read online, there are only praises for the Canton set-up. Anyone here as perplexed as I am? Is there anyone in and around Kochi, Kerala who owns an Octavia with the Canton system who's willing to help me compare the sound?
Old 30th October 2020, 20:44   #4642
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anaghp View Post
I owned a 2011 Vento TDI till last year and there were some songs that I loved mainly for their bass. The kind of music that starts slow, and then drops the bass at a point giving goosebumps. I was super excited to try these as soon as I got my 2019 Octavia L&K, but I was superbly disappointed! Even with a subwoofer and gazillion speakers, I didn't get any bass. I initially thought that it's probably because the equalizer was set differently. So I tried setting it to maximum bass, but to no major improvements.

Did anyone ever feel that the stock 4-speaker set up of a VW Polo or Vento have better bass than the Canton system in the L&K variant? Or considering that I took delivery from Vinayak Skoda Bangalore, any chance that they might have just replaced the Canton system to a cheap something?

From the reviews I read online, there are only praises for the Canton set-up. Anyone here as perplexed as I am? Is there anyone in and around Kochi, Kerala who owns an Octavia with the Canton system who's willing to help me compare the sound?
Not the same setup, but in my Superb L&K, I can certainly feel the bass. The Mandalorian theme or the Hotel California live edition from Amazon music both do the slow build up to deep bass thing and is a pleasure to listen to in the car. I have a Sony HT-Z9F soundbar at home and this is almost as good. I use the Canton optimization option and when I use bluetooth, the phone volume is set to max.
Old 30th October 2020, 21:47   #4643
BHPian

My Octavia vrs has same issue. I do not feel any bass from the speaker setup. In fact my vento tsi sounds much better. 😡😡
Old 30th October 2020, 22:09   #4644
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anaghp View Post
I was super excited to try these as soon as I got my 2019 Octavia L&K, but I was superbly disappointed! Even with a subwoofer and gazillion speakers, I didn't get any bass.
You are right! The gazillion speakers make little difference. The only way, I feel satisfied is by using the canton optimization to driver only. Any other setting, means very little bass and yes, definitely less than my Polo GT too (better than all stock Marutis though!)

Its not bad because I generally drive alone and driver only setup works well.
Old 30th October 2020, 22:37   #4645

Considering the discussion happening on speakers currently, I have the basic setup on my 2017 faceliftOctavia 2.0 tdi style plus ( the pre l&k launch)

I have added a Blaupunkt active subwoofer by taking in high level inputs from rear speakers.

The onboard equalization is a bummer and bass goes away on higher volumes.

Does anybody have any experience or opinion on the focal IS165 components which are plug and play for VW group cars without wire cutting?
Old 31st October 2020, 15:17   #4646
Senior - BHPian

My Vento had heating issues. Changed radiator and water pump. Radiator fan bearing was gone and had to. It still has issues in slow traffic ! Haven't been using it for long time now. I will change the thermostat and have asked the FNG to source one.
Not sure how they 'engineer' these cars
Old 31st October 2020, 20:33   #4647
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Not sure how they 'engineer' these cars
German cars are engineered for perfect 'German' conditions ie., perfect bump free roads, non dusty non polluted environment, unadulterated fuel.

These vehicles have very low tolerance for our Imperfect conditions (cratered potholed roads, heat and dust, adulterated fuel). On top of that there is the cost cutting factor of the parts used for India. This translates to a high level of unreliability and parts failure of these designed for perfect conditions German cars - As long as everything works, they give the best pleasure no doubt but they all are a nightmare to maintain and long term reliability is non-existent for our conditions.

Japanese cars on the other hand have higher tolerances to our imperfect conditions. They know how to do cost cutting without a drastic deterioration of parts quality and reliability. They may look and feel tinny but parts are built to withstand our rather imperfect conditions with higher reliability.

Last edited by vb-saan : 2nd November 2020 at 06:46. Reason: Typo
Old 1st November 2020, 08:13   #4648
BHPian

Hello Friends,

My 2017 Skoda Octavia 1.4 TSI that has run 21000 kms did not start 10 days ago. This was after a 50 km drive to the outskirts of bangalore and then during return, i had parked it for 10 mins with engine turned off. On my return, I cranked the car and it refused to start. And the cranking sound continued until I switch off the ignition.

After this, I attempted to even push the car and try the jump start in 1st and 2nd gears and that dint help either.

Finally, I called the "Rescue" Skoda team. He arrived a 2.5 hours later and found battery voltage to be OK (12.6V). He checked all the fuses , reslotted them and found them ok aswell.

Then the towing service was called for and the car was taken to the nearest Skoda service center on tow truck flat top.

It's been 8 days now. No RCA yet.

Through scanning it's found that the 2nd and 3rd fuel injectors are showing under faulty monitor.

No rat bites, wiring found ok, relays found ok.
They replaced sparkplugs after they found that the 2nd n 3rd cylinders have lower voltage during crank.

Now the details given to the technical team and awaiting responses.

I for now don't even know how many more weeks the car would sit in the service center.

Regards
Pramod
pramod is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2020, 14:12   #4649
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Vikas View Post
Hi,
I remember, having gone through same experience few months back.

I have updated the incident quite in detail in this thread only at post #4554, you may please go through it. Hope, it would help you resolving the issue.
��

Thanks! But your solution from #4554 did not work for me. The instrument cluster said 'Cannot detect key' while the car alarm screamed at me because it was unlocked with the physical key and ignition did not turn on soon after.
So looks like the key is really dead and I would have to get it replaced.
Hope it is not a harbinger of the car battery giving up next .
Old 2nd November 2020, 01:30   #4650
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramod View Post
Hello Friends,

My 2017 Skoda Octavia 1.4 TSI that has run 21000 kms did not start 10 days ago.
It's been 8 days now. No RCA yet.

I for now don't even know how many more weeks the car would sit in the service center.

Regards
Pramod
It is disheartening to hear another incident.
Until now I was under the impression that only petrol automatics are unreliable.

I don't think there is any point in Skoda/VW investing billions in India if they cant get the basics like reliability and service right. Whatever may be the reason, if its not a physical damage ( like rat bite ), its too soon for a car to fail in just 21K Km/3 years.
vikrantshete is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks