Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 11th February 2021, 14:19   #4756
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
This seems like a common problem across the brand?
Very common with the Octavia Bi-X units, not sure about the Superb & Kodiaq ones. Unless there is clear impact damage and/or any electrical mods which can fry the units, Skoda will change them even under EW. I got both of mine changed FoC.
Old 11th February 2021, 15:13   #4757
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RohanDheman View Post
Look out/ keep in the mind for the following issues:

1. Headlight DRL turning yellow (1 headlight changed for me)
2. AC compressor (i have mine changed once)
3. All ac vents for breakage
4. start stop button (can be hesitant at time- replaced for me)
5. Steering wheel scrollers (tend to break easily- replaced for me)
6. Brake discs and pads may be due for a change
7. check the button for memory seats for any damage
8. check the sunroof for rattle (very common for Octavia)
9. the DSG box on this is very reliable but do take a long test drive specially in traffic. the box is known to be slightly jerky in slow moving traffic. Nothing to be worried about there but it should not be a surprise for you if you drive it for the first time.
10. Keep in mind that while the headlights are xenon they are not the brightest and may leave you wanting
This sums it up all and exactly points out the issues you should be looking for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
Planning to check out the car today or tomorrow. Lets see. Any thoughts on the dealer quote of 12.9L?
I feel the price is good given its a 2017 vehicle with just 51k on the odo but would depend on which city you are in. I got a preowned Octavia TDI in 2020. This was a 2015 style plus with around 65kms on the odo. Got the service history from Skoda and there was one issue with the AC but was taken care of at the ASC. Also the DSG oil was changed at 60k along with the other things which mean the car was well kept by the previous owner. However, below are the issues I have with mine -

1. DRLs have turned yellow and inspite of the vehicle being serviced with Skoda all its life, they are not willing to consider a replacement for it. From what I checked with the SA at the ASC, a new one costs around 25k a piece+labour.
2. Passenger side AC vent is broken. Somehow I failed to notice this when I checked the vehicle or maybe it happened later
3. Start-stop button was functional but had cracked and needed a replacement.
4. Headlights aren't really that good IMO. Pathetic in the city to say the least. No sure what is the solution for this.
5. Both vanity mirrors are broken
6. Squeaks from the windows when rolling up, probably needs some cleaning
7. There are some drops of a liquid which have damaged the paint on the boot surface and the roof. Tried getting it detailed but the paint had been damaged and will need a repaint unfortunately.

Baring these, the vehicle was mechanically very sound and extremely tight which made me take the plunge. Apart from this the insurance was due and so was the yearly service. In end got it for around 11l including insurance and service (included the change of the start stop button). In retrospective I feel I should have bargained a little harder but unfortunately I was without a ride this was one of the well kept vehicles I had come around. So considering this, I feel that price you are getting it for is really good

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Unless there is clear impact damage and/or any electrical mods which can fry the units, Skoda will change them even under EW
Unfortunately did not work for me despite the fact that the vehicle was always and always serviced at an ASC only and everything in the users manual was followed to the 'T' from the previous owner (probably a little more too). The car was with a seller from Jan 2020 and I purchased it in October 2020. So the ASC tells me that the vehicle must not have been 'parked properly' or water/dust must have entered the housing to cause this problem. Wrote to Zac too but the email was picked up by his team and sent to the same ASC again.

Last edited by centaur : 11th February 2021 at 15:17.
centaur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2021, 16:04   #4758
Senior - BHPian

The standard warranty on the 2017 Octavia was 4 years? So that means the car will still be under warranty right (provided it was bought after Feb 17) ?
Old 11th February 2021, 16:27   #4759
BHPian

Quote:
The standard warranty on the 2017 Octavia was 4 years? So that means the car will still be under warranty right (provided it was bought after Feb 17) ?
Correct. Every purchase after 1 September (or October) 2016 came with 4 years warranty as standard. If you have valid warranty, you can get the extended warranty for around 85k- which is totally worth the peace of mind.
RohanDheman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2021, 23:00   #4760
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RohanDheman View Post
Correct. Every purchase after 1 September (or October) 2016 came with 4 years warranty as standard. If you have valid warranty, you can get the extended warranty for around 85k- which is totally worth the peace of mind.
Bad luck. The car was registered on Feb 7, 2017. So no chance of extended warranty on this one.
Old 12th February 2021, 09:10   #4761
BHPian

Quote:
Guys anyone has the brochure or feature list of 2016-17 Octavia Style TDI AT plus?
This reminded me the brochure I had with me almost 3 yrs even before I purchased my Octavia last yr.

Sharing here the snaps from it for reference.
Hope this helps you.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-img_20210212_084051__01.jpg  

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-img_20210212_084138__01.jpg  

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-img_20210212_084233__01.jpg  

Old 23rd February 2021, 10:17   #4762
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambydude View Post
In my recent highway drive I started noticing this weird humming coming from tyres or somewhere else. It was very prominent at low speed and at high speeds, as the tyre rotation speed increases, it increase in frequency and hence not much noticed.

I showed it to a tyre dealer and the technician diagnosed it as step type wear of front tyres. As shown in attached pic, the wear is at multiple.places as patches and hence the humming. This is only there at the inside of front tyres.

However, the tyre technician says that it may not be an alignment issue and did not even push for for an alignment. He thinks that it could a suspension issue.
As of now, I have rotated the tyres and the humming has reduced a lot as the damaged tyres are at the rear now.

Has anyone faced this issue? Please advise if It could be a suspension issue and if I should urgently take the car to the service center.
Update on my tyre issue :

Did my second year service and conducted a thorough check of suspension. No issues and the service center attributed the inner scalloped tyre wear to not doing tyre alignement properly on time.

I can still drive around using the same tyres and the noise has reduced after rotating the tyres. But I plan to change it soon. Since Michelin tyres are currently unavailable, can anyone suggest a tyre with characteristics similar to Michelin PS 3/4?
Old 23rd February 2021, 13:09   #4763
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Since Michelin tyres are currently unavailable, can anyone suggest a tyre with characteristics similar to Michelin PS 3/4?
Check out the Yokohama Advan V105. They have a good balance between sportiness and comfort.
graaja is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 24th February 2021, 07:49   #4764
Senior - BHPian

Zac Hollis refers Team-BHP to Octavia L&K owner who is facing battery issues

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-smartselect_20210224074700_twitter.jpg

Link
Venkatesh is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 24th February 2021, 08:54   #4765
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post

Attachment 2125111

Link
Well, well, well, how the turntables... If automakers are going to start using our own weapon against us then checkmate I guess.
Iyencar is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 24th February 2021, 11:26   #4766
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iyencar View Post
Well, well, well, how the turntables... If automakers are going to start using our own weapon against us then checkmate I guess.
Smart fellow - must have been laughing away while typing the tweet.

Seriously, we should have a formal "VAG Dead Battery Society"with membership grades depending upon:

1. How early did the battery (stock + replacement) commit suicide?
2. What time and just before which special occasion?
3. Was the family inconvenienced?
4. How much abuse did the hapless owner face?
itwasntme is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 1st March 2021, 19:51   #4767
BHPian

Hello, while renewing the insurance, is there a need to take engine cover add on? I already have skoda shield for 6 years and engine failure should be covered under that, right? Please advise.
Old 1st March 2021, 20:10   #4768
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hello, while renewing the insurance, is there a need to take engine cover add on? I already have skoda shield for 6 years and engine failure should be covered under that, right? Please advise.
Skoda shield is a warranty that will cover engine failure due to manufacturing defect. It will not protect engine failure due to water logging which the engine shield will cover.
graaja is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2021, 11:34   #4769

Team,

Need a support for my vehicle:

Octavia 1.8Tsi AT/2017/45500km/Under warranty

I had issues with my vehicle AC for some time now. Yesterday, for the 3rd time, the vehicle is given to TAFE Bangalore. The issue is something which I haven't read anywhere so far:

When we drive for more than 30-40 minutes, and when the outside temperature is more than 27 degrees, the cooling cuts off every 5 minutes - means, the cooling will be there for 5 minutes, then no cooling for 3-4 minutes, again cooling comes and the cycle continues. I tried the auto mode, manual mode, slow blower mode, high speed mode - all possibilities - but result is the same. All these times, there is no change in the blower speed or output air throw.

TAFE checked everything - all sensors, compressor etc etc and they claim that everything is fine. Once they took the vehicle for 5 days and returned to me stating that they cannot find the issue. When I escalated to the GM, he asked me to give the vehicle again, and thus for the 3rd time, its with them.
TAFE has been very good to me so far - for all other services - but for this issue, they informed yesterday night that they can't find any source of problem yet.

Can any one help me to suggest some solution for this? The reliability factor of Skoda, which I was aware and fearing, has finally affected me, it seems
Old 3rd March 2021, 11:51   #4770
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by njv555 View Post
Team,

Need a support for my vehicle:

Octavia 1.8Tsi AT/2017/45500km/Under warranty

I had issues with my vehicle AC for some time now. Yesterday, for the 3rd time, the vehicle is given to TAFE Bangalore. The issue is something which I haven't read anywhere so far:

When we drive for more than 30-40 minutes, and when the outside temperature is more than 27 degrees, the cooling cuts off every 5 minutes - means, the cooling will be there for 5 minutes, then no cooling for 3-4 minutes, again cooling comes and the cycle continues. I tried the auto mode, manual mode, slow blower mode, high speed mode - all possibilities - but result is the same. All these times, there is no change in the blower speed or output air throw.

TAFE checked everything - all sensors, compressor etc etc and they claim that everything is fine. Once they took the vehicle for 5 days and returned to me stating that they cannot find the issue. When I escalated to the GM, he asked me to give the vehicle again, and thus for the 3rd time, its with them.
TAFE has been very good to me so far - for all other services - but for this issue, they informed yesterday night that they can't find any source of problem yet.

Can any one help me to suggest some solution for this? The reliability factor of Skoda, which I was aware and fearing, has finally affected me, it seems
To me this seems like a Evaporator coil temperature sensor problem. Basically it is a sensor in the evaporator coil which prevents the coil temperature from going below 2 Degrees Celsius to prevent Icing on the coil. If this sensor malfunctions, it send a signal at much higher temperatures (say 10 Degrees) the cooling will be very mild in this case and when the temperature drops below this, it reduces the coolant flow in the VRF system to the compressor.
This sensor (as far as I know is integrated in the evaporator unit) and the evaporator unit may need to be changed.
Apart from this, also have them check the INcabin temperature sensor which could be showing a wrong in cabin temperature and hence cutting off the AC.

An error of this type will not show up in any scan but the outcome is that the cooling just not will be sufficient.
The way that you can challenge Skoda workshop is that the Grill temperature of the car needs to be between 4-6 degrees after running the ac for at least 15 min. If the car is not able to reach this grill temperature, there is a fault in the cooling system.

Also for checking the incabin temperature, use a Room Thermometer and compare with the cabin temperature reading from the VCDS scanner. Do the same thing also for the Grill temperature sensor.

Also, Skoda Compressors are also known to be weak and fail early. I had two sets of compressors replaced on my Skoda Yeti (within 4 years) - both times under warranty.

Last edited by Behemoth : 3rd March 2021 at 11:56.
Behemoth is online now   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed