Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th May 2021, 11:41   #4816
Senior - BHPian

re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
I do feel that Michelin PS4 on stock rims will also suffice your needs. Hunt if you can find 225/50 tyres, I am currently on wait list with Yokohama for the AE51's. Although upgrading to 17s is what you should do, you could consider saving some cash and stick to 16s. If you do decide to upgrade, 225/45/17 is the way. Tyre availability opens up in those sizes considerably.
Thanks Adi for the feedback. The car has really transformed, B6 has brought in unexpected stability (not that stock was bad). Also for Octavia TDI the low speed did not differ much as the stock was always bit on harder side and busy at low speed on bad roads due to torsion set up. Overall quite happy on handling and high speed stability. Very happy with the remap too. Got a chance to drive from Cochin to Trivandrum and then to Bangalore and it was fun. After reaching Bangalore the car is pretty much sitting duck from few weeks due to the lockdown.

Prior to my current set of tyres, my car was running on 225 50 16 PS3 on stock rims. The tyre side walls had unprotected area due to stock 6.5 width. But during the tyre change I did not get the same size and had to go back to 205.

Now that I am planning to keep the car for another 3 to 4 years I am thinking to upsize to 17, also to give a make over. Great you have the BBS, they surely are the best. I am trying to close out between BBS or OZ wheels. Thanks again for your feedback - I will stick to 225 45 17. Though have to go for ContiSportsContact due to non availability of PS4 currently.
Old 18th May 2021, 06:16   #4817
BHPian

Hi friends,
Hope you all are doing well in your respective homes during these testing time of Covid pandemic.

Yesterday, I encountered the common problem observed in an Octavia, that is Flat Battery problem, in my 3.5 yrs old 1.8 TSI AT L&K for the second time. The first time I remember was some 3-4 months back & then the car responded well to jump start with absolutely No any problem since then.

So yesterday evening, I was attending some phone calls via Bluetooth system in my car but with the engine being Off. Then I suddenly received an alert message in the Infotainment System screen display that read as The 12V battery voltage is low and please Start the engine. And when I tried to do so accordingly, it failed to respond.

Then I arranged for jump starting the car and it immediately responded without any further problems. However, when I tried to rave the engine, received an 'ECO TIP' in the Maxi Dot display this time saying, Do not press the gas pedal when stationary. That's a 'Simply Clever' suggestion.

Now I've decided to get the status of Battery electrolyte checked in the morning before coming to any conclusion. Still I think it would be better to get the battery replaced considering the age of the vehicle and also to avoid any problem in future.

So, I would like to have your expert opinions on this and also further information about the Make/ Model of the battery along with its price, in case if I have to opt for instant replacement of the battery.

Thanks in advance,
Old 18th May 2021, 07:50   #4818
BHPian

Here's the screenshot of alert received an 'ECO TIP' in the Maxi Dot display this time saying, Do not press the gas pedal when stationary.

Couldn't upload with the previous post.
Mods, you may merge the back to back posts.

Thanks in advance,
Attached Thumbnails
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-img_20210517_210425.jpg  

Last edited by Dr.Vikas : 18th May 2021 at 07:55. Reason: Repeat post
Old 18th May 2021, 08:12   #4819
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Vikas View Post
So, I would like to have your expert opinions on this and also further information about the Make/ Model of the battery along with its price, in case if I have to opt for instant replacement of the battery.
Take a look using the TBHP search function or Google on this very thread. Such as: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post4675734

I bought a Exide battery for ~10K which was available at my local shop. Running fine now for ~2+ years. However, speak to Skoda also as they are generally unhappy with non-dealer batteries. I ignored their request though and replaced my battery (luckily in my residence) within 2 hours flat.
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2021, 13:31   #4820
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
I bought a Exide battery for ~10K which was available at my local shop. Running fine now for ~2+ years.
Thanks itwasntme for your reply.

In fact, I also was intending to take the same route of outsourcing the battery rather than to go with Skoda ASC. Btw only 6 months of the warranty of my car is left and I still haven't opted for the 2 yrs EW.

Thankfully this morning, the car started without any fuss at the very first 'go'. Lucky me !
Then I got the status of the battery electrolyte checked and found it to be on lower side. Soon the battery gulped down total 500 ml of distilled water while I topped up all the 4 cells of it.

And thus I seem to have had a narrow escape from the membership of 'Dead Battery Society Club' of VAG cars, especially the 1.8 TSI ones.

And now I guess, if the battery survives for next few days, it won't require an immediate changing and even that could be postponed further till the next episode of 'Dead Battery' incident. Till then I have decided to keep a pair of jump start cables ready with my car to face any kind of such an emergency.

Thanks,
Old 18th May 2021, 14:35   #4821
BHPian

I sent my 1.8TSI to service centre for third service at 44500Km. It's only been two years since I bought it and as expected the service advisor says that battery may give up anytime and needs replacement.

Service center is quoting 14500 Rs for a new battery. They are saying exide/amaron is not available and battery has to be purchased with cover. Not getting the battery from Skoda ASC will void warranty.

Skoda batteries are not competent. They come with only two years warranty whereas Exide/Amaron also give a pro rata warranty. Also skoda battery is almost twice as expensive. This is extortion by Skoda!
Old 18th May 2021, 15:23   #4822
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikrantshete View Post
It's only been two years since I bought it and as expected the service advisor says that battery may give up anytime and needs replacement.

Skoda batteries are not competent. They come with only two years warranty whereas Exide/Amaron also give a pro rata warranty. Also skoda battery is almost twice as expensive. This is extortion by Skoda!
Hi Vikrant,

Don't ever fully rely on the SAs at Skoda ASC.

They are always behind making the work shop bills fat rather than helping their own customers.

I would say, you should have got your car battery checked by some other outside mechanic before approaching the Skoda ASC.

Btw, to which dealership you usually visit for the regular servicing in Pune?

Thanks

Last edited by suhaas307 : 19th May 2021 at 12:49. Reason: spacing for improved readability
Old 18th May 2021, 16:09   #4823
BHPian

Quote:

Btw, to which dealership you usually visit for the regular servicing in Pune?

Thanks
These days I visit Garve Skoda. Earlier I visited Akoya Skoda.
Old 18th May 2021, 16:28   #4824
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In fact, I also was intending to take the same route of outsourcing the battery rather than to go with Skoda ASC. Btw only 6 months of the warranty of my car is left and I still haven't opted for the 2 yrs EW.
Go for the EW ASAP. If you plan to keep the car for another 2-3 years, this will be worth it. Are you still on the original battery? if yes, thats a first for me! If topping up with distilled water works, its great. But if you plan any long trips, best to get the battery changed, or take a battery along with you on the trip, come back and return it to the shop if you dont need it, if you have a good rapport with the battery shop owner. I had to change the 'batteries' in my car over 4 times in last 7 years. Twice with Skoda under warranty, and rest all Exide on my own. I have had checked all the systems linking battery and dealership claims everything is okay, could just be unlucky with battery defect. But the last battery I got last year, I did the coding and put the exact amperage in via OBDEleven, and its working fine at the moment. No hiccups.

Quote:
It's only been two years since I bought it and as expected the service advisor says that battery may give up anytime and needs replacement.
You may call Skoda customer care and clear out this wrong notion. Warranty is only void if you put a battery that is out of spec. You can put any branded battery up to 72aH, without any issues. You might just not be able to fir the felt cover and I have left it out since I shifted to Exide 66aH. The dimensions of Amaron din66 is slightly bigger, but might just fit. Coding the battery is important and most dealerships don't do it. In their ODIS, the option is present under "CAN GATEWAY, Coding, Battery Manager or Energy Manager", where you can put the make, type and size of the battery. Normal battery is Lead Acid Enhanced Flooded Battery (EFB) type. Since our Octavias are equipped with a battery management system, I feel this should be done as soon as you change the battery even if you go for the OEM battery.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th May 2021, 19:41   #4825
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Service center is quoting 14500 Rs for a new battery. They are saying exide/amaron is not available and battery has to be purchased with cover. Not getting the battery from Skoda ASC will void warranty.
When I changed the battery in 2020, the service center had given me options of Exide (INR 7500) and Varta (14500). Did not go for Varta as it had come as OEM with the car (atleast for 2016 models) and Skoda changed them during second service as part of recall due to many failures.

So if the one quoted by your service center is Varta, would suggest not to go for that. It might be good, but dont think suitable for Indian conditions.
sunikkat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2021, 19:44   #4826
BHPian

Quote:
Go for the EW ASAP. If you plan to keep the car for another 2-3 years, this will be worth it. Are you still on the original battery? if yes, thats a first for me! If topping up with distilled water works, its great. But if you plan any long trips, best to get the battery changed
Thanks adi_petrolhead for your reply and your guidance regarding EW/ new battery.

Yeah, my car is running still on the stock battery.

Surprised to read various horror stories of premature battery failure here in this thread itself.

So I was prepared to spend on the new battery for my car. Meanwhile, I once again checked the color code of the inspection spot in the 2nd knob of the battery and found it still perfectly dark. It means there is still some life left in the battery and I'll keep on checking it regularly now onwards. Note it becomes yellow/ light colored in case of a dead battery.

Any how long trips have become a day dream at least for few months here onwards, in view of the pandemic and lockdown restrictions. For my daily commute and occasional short trips, I think the jump start cable would be handy.

Now regarding the EW purchase, I am still not much convinced due to my very low mileage and secondly, I do have a good, reliable FNG in my regular contacts.

Still I'll keep all your advice/ information shared here in my mind while making any decisions in this regards.

Thanks again for your in depth advice, it'll surely help many of us here..
Attached Thumbnails
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-img_20210518_183645__01.jpg  

Last edited by suhaas307 : 19th May 2021 at 10:59. Reason: spacing for improved readability
Dr.Vikas is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2021, 22:28   #4827
BHPian

Quote:
These days I visit Garve Skoda. Earlier I visited Akoya Skoda.
In fact, I personally don't have any first hand experience of Pune dealerships despite of 2-3 visits to Akoya Baher workshop to collect few spares off the counter.

Btw, which of these 2, do you find better in customer service though?
Dr.Vikas is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2021, 00:33   #4828
BHPian

Quote:
Btw, which of these 2, do you find better in customer service though?
Once the rear bumper was hit by a biker. One of the rear parking sensors was not working. I went to Akoya Skoda and they quoted 5000 for repair. Few months later I dropped the car at Garve Skoda and they said its just a broken wire and repaired it without any extra charges.

Next time I went to Garve Skoda again. I was quoted about 5800 for rear brake pads change which was more than what they had charged me for front brake pads. So I checked the app and found out that quoted price of the brake pads (with tax) was lower than what workshop had said and also the rear brake pads are cheaper than front ones but the service guy kept trying to convince me that the rear ones are more expensive. Finally they settled for a price between the quoted price and the price in the app..

With Skoda it is not really easy to rely on any SC. Not sure which one is better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunikkat View Post
When I changed the battery in 2020, the service center had given me options of Exide (INR 7500) and Varta (14500). Did not go for Varta as it had come as OEM with the car (atleast for 2016 models) and Skoda changed them during second service as part of recall due to many failures.

So if the one quoted by your service center is Varta, would suggest not to go for that. It might be good, but dont think suitable for Indian conditions.
Yes the quoted price is for Varta. I had asked if Exide can be fitted but they said Exide is only available for Rapid and not for Octavia. Not just that, the battery with cover costs 14500 and one cannot buy just the battery. No matter how German Varta is, in this case its better to choose products engineered for India. I was warned that there could be issue in warranty claim for Mechatronic in future if I go for any battery other than one available at Skoda ASC.

Quote:

You may call Skoda customer care and clear out this wrong notion. Warranty is only void if you put a battery that is out of spec. You can put any branded battery up to 72aH, without any issues. You might just not be able to fir the felt cover and I have left it out since I shifted to Exide 66aH. The dimensions of Amaron din66 is slightly bigger, but might just fit. Coding the battery is important and most dealerships don't do it.
Is it necessary to code even if you get a 72 Ah battery? The existing one is a 72 Ah and the new one will also be a 72Ah.

On a different note, I have not really been comfortable with the DSG gearbox. I had a vento TDI AT before and now an octavia TSI. It's not really a smooth experience with the VW group. For the last few months I have been thinking of selling off the octavia. Maybe I'll put it up for sale in some time and wait for the best price. Anyway, I won't be needing the car for another year or so due to the pandemic. Later on I can think of buying one when it becomes necessary.

Before buying this car I had driven Innova manual for 400Km via myChoize cars and test driven a harrier, Creta, baleno, polo GT TSI (1.2), civic petrol and diesel but unfortunately did not take a TD of the Jeep Compass assuming that it would be like Creta or Harrier. My intention was to travel long distances all over India. I was considering mostly highways and maybe 15000 Km or so per year. Turns out I travelled 44500Km in two years and travelled some bad roads too. It would have been better to have an SUV with diesel manual.

I was considering Jeep Compass lately but found out that it is quite common to have clutch issues with manual transmission. Some people are shelling out more than 50000 bucks for clutch repairs for compass. I'll wait and see if something comes up in future in this price range that is worth buying.

Last edited by vikrantshete : 19th May 2021 at 00:57.
vikrantshete is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2021, 06:57   #4829
BHPian

Quote:
With Skoda it is not really easy to rely on any SC. Not sure which one is better.
Yes the quoted price is for Varta. I had asked if Exide can be fitted but they said Exide is only available for Rapid and not for Octavia. Not just that, the battery with cover costs 14500 and one cannot buy just the battery. No matter how German Varta is, in this case its better to choose products engineered for India. I was warned that there could be issue in warranty claim for Mechatronic in future if I go for any battery other than one available at Skoda ASC.
Unfortunately, it's very true that NO ASC is much reliable. In case if you want/ need to escalate any such matter to Skoda hierarchy, you may send a mail it to Zac Hollis, Director- Skoda India.

If you refer to the pic in my previous post, you can notice that the stock battery supplied with my Octavia is a 60Ah Exide make only and it's been serving me till date. After topping up Battery water it's working fine. Will update soon if any issue arises.
So I believe they can't deny any warranty claim on the basis of Battery make provided it's to be with the same specs.
Old 19th May 2021, 11:33   #4830
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I was warned that there could be issue in warranty claim for Mechatronic in future if I go for any battery other than one available at Skoda ASC.
Suggest you write a mail to ŠKODA and escalate, no way the dealer can push their product due to non availability of Exide at their end.

On the contrary, my experience with ŠKODA and the dealer (Tafe Bangalore) is excellent in last 5 years. Mine is a manual diesel and car has been very reliable (touchwood). Infact I found the service to be better than Ford and Maruti that I owned / own. Hope it stays that way

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks