Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 31st July 2021, 12:31   #4906
Senior - BHPian

Re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick145 View Post
I am looking for replacement wiper blades for my Octavia. Any suggestions? Bosch doesn't seem to have any compatible model.
During my recent visit to 3M I saw frameless wipers. On checking with them the size for Octavia will be 24 and 18, this will cost around 1800 for a set of 2. Not sure on the quality, though I have decided to try it next time.
Old 1st August 2021, 00:44   #4907
BHPian

After the Tyres, now it's time for the Battery !

The battery in my Octavia now seems to be in its end of life and I need to go for a change soon.

Recently I came across Exide Epiq Din 74 battery on the FB group- Skoda Owners Club of India and I'm really excited to see the specs & warranty offer of it. And I think, this could be the perfect replacement for the 44 months old Exide in my Octavia.

My query is regarding it's fitment in the battery tray. Does it snug fit or needs any adjustments therein ?

Finally, if anyone has first hand experience/ information regarding this particular model, please share here.

Thanks in advance,
Old 2nd August 2021, 08:36   #4908
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Vikas View Post
[i]Recently I came across Exide Epiq Din 74 battery on the FB group- Skoda Owners Club of India and I'm really excited to see the specs & warranty offer of it.

My query is regarding it's fitment in the battery tray. Does it snug fit or needs any adjustments therein ?
Dr. Vikas, I bought Exide DIN60 for around 6.2K when my TSI battery gave up. It was a perfect fit; a better bet is to physically measure your battery bay and compare with the battery dimensions.

Better still to actually visit and check in real life.
itwasntme is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2021, 14:44   #4909
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Dr. Vikas, I bought Exide DIN60 for around 6.2K when my TSI battery gave up.
Better still to actually visit and check in real life.
Thanks for your reply, itwasntme.
In fact, I had your message just at the right time, I would say.

As a formality, I had a call with the SA at Skoda ASC to sort out things for the battery replacement.
According to him, Skoda Octavia comes with a company fitted 72 DIN battery. So I need to purchase the one with 72 DIN from ASC only (at 11+k ₹) to stick to warranty policy.

He further clarified that NO warranty claim would be entertained in case if I purchase the battery from outside.
And if I source it from outside it has to be specifically either 72 or 74 DIN.
Whereas my regular battery supplier is keen on DIN 60 as a perfect replacement.

In view of only 4 months of the validity period left on the initial 4 yr warranty of my car, I am not bothered to purchase the battery from ASC for obvious reasons.

Under these circumstances, my decision about purchasing the EW for 65k ₹ is also on hold. The Skoda ASCs often interpret the terms and conditions regarding Warranty claim settlement/s as per their wish.

So, how to resolve the things without any further complications ?

Last edited by Dr.Vikas : 2nd August 2021 at 14:51. Reason: Correction
Dr.Vikas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2021, 14:58   #4910
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Vikas View Post
He further clarified that NO warranty claim would be entertained in case if I purchase the battery from outside.
And if I source it from outside it has to be specifically either 72 or 74 DIN.
Whereas my regular battery supplier is keen on DIN 60 as a perfect replacement.
How much is the Exide Epiq DIN74 costing you? If I understand correctly, Skoda uprated the DIN from 60 to 72 on later Octavias. So it may make sense to stick to 72-74.

My experience is that Skoda will not deny any warranty claim, don't worry. These are just scare tactics being used. My Octavia had aftermarket Exide DIN60, and I had both headlight DRLs and even the DSG changed under warranty. However, TAFE Skoda (my dealer) did note on the service history that customer had fitted 'non-standard equipment', i.e. the battery.

Another thought: why not ask the SA to price-match the DIN72 one if you can locate it cheaper outside?

Last edited by itwasntme : 2nd August 2021 at 15:02.
itwasntme is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2021, 16:23   #4911
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
How much is the Exide Epiq DIN74 costing you? If I understand correctly, Skoda uprated the DIN from 60 to 72 on later Octavias. So it may make sense to stick to 72-74.

My experience is that Skoda will not deny any warranty claim, don't worry. These are just scare tactics being used. My Octavia had aftermarket Exide DIN60, and I had both headlight DRLs and even the DSG changed under warranty.

Another thought: why not ask the SA to price-match the DIN72 one if you can locate it cheaper outside?
Thanks again.
I'm getting Epiq 74DIN for 9+k with exchange of old battery. It comes with 77 (42+35) months warranty.
The ASCs usually supply either Varta or Siben branded batteries for Octavia and of course that too, only if it's readily available with them.

I really envy you for having great service access of TAFE Skoda. I would rather prefer to drive 500 kms anyday to get that kind of service than visiting the one I am having these days.
No any chance of matching the price of the battery at ASC with the one available outside at cheaper price.

It's painful when we come across so many ifs and buts while owning a Skoda. Many Skoda ASCs still behave rudely as if they have nothing to do with customer-centricity.
Old 2nd August 2021, 18:00   #4912
BHPian

Update:

In fact, I have to take my younger son to appear for Engg entrance exams for the next 2 days and so I was keen to have the battery replaced at any cost by today itself.

Accordingly, I kept on following up continuously with the SA since morning.
After a lot of exchange of thoughts, he just called me once again and finally told that the 72 DIN battery is specified particularly for Octavia TDI CR version and for my TSI AT, it's okay with (Exide) 60 or 66 Ah specification.

I can't understand, if at all this was so simple, then why did he take the whole day to declare the facts ? Either he also wasn't updated correctly or he was applying scare tactics to generate business out of this for his ASC.

Finally, placed order for the Exide one with 66 Ah with my FNG and thus hopefully the infamous Skoda 'Dead Battery' saga comes to an end.

Thanks to itwasntme for the support as usual.

Last edited by Dr.Vikas : 2nd August 2021 at 18:06.
Dr.Vikas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2021, 18:14   #4913
BHPian

Got hold of a pre-owned Octavia 1.8 TSI 2018 model that had clocked just shy of 24k last year. Honestly a wonderful beast; but unfortunately not been able to enjoy her to the fullest - thanks to the COVID conditions and no opportunity to drive other than those small rounds to ensure that the car is kept warm. Assuming that COVID does not wreck another havoc, I will be taking her to some destinations this year and munch some miles.
Old 3rd August 2021, 09:00   #4914

The ABS sensors of my 2016 Octavia 1.8 TSI have all failed now (i.e. about to change the fourth sensor in the past year). Has anyone else had this trouble?

Has anyone upgraded their stock headlights? Any recommendations? Cost not an issue.

Any recommendations for Wiper blade replacement?
Old 3rd August 2021, 13:46   #4915
BHPian

Any recommendations for Wiper blade replacement?[/quote]

Hi, I am also facing few issues with the stock wipers in my 2 years old Octy. Upon research I have found Bosch Aerotwins with the best reviews. The bosch offiicial website recommends 24” & 19” for Octavia. I am attaching an image with the part number below. I have found 24” on Amazon, still searching for 19” ones.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-ded729ec1d0846088821e73961022324.jpeg  

Old 7th August 2021, 15:18   #4916
BHPian

Hi Folks,

Need a recommendation for cleaning the vienna leather seats for my Octavia 1.8 Tsi L&K. The drivers seat is looking a bit soiled now.

Can I simply clean it with a cloth dipped in soap solution and then wipe with a damp cloth & finally dry it out, or is a leather cleaning / conditioning product like MEGUIAR'S Gold Class Leather Cleaner, recommended. The driver's seat is not heavily soiled or cracked or anything like that, but has started to look a bit dirty as compared to the rest of the seats.

Look forward to your views and recommendations. Cheers !
Old 7th August 2021, 16:03   #4917
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyinDoc View Post
The ABS sensors of my 2016 Octavia 1.8 TSI have all failed now (i.e. about to change the fourth sensor in the past year). Has anyone else had this trouble?
The ABS sensor has to be considered as a regular maintenance part. I got my 3rd one replaced this week.
Old 7th August 2021, 18:41   #4918
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyinDoc View Post
The ABS sensors of my 2016 Octavia 1.8 TSI have all failed now (i.e. about to change the fourth sensor in the past year).
Quote:
Originally Posted by joethomasv View Post
The ABS sensor has to be considered as a regular maintenance part. I got my 3rd one replaced this week.
What is with the Octavia ABS sensor? I've not even changed one in 5.5 years & 61K km in BLR. Is it failure-prone in damp climates only?

Or am I just lucky?
Old 7th August 2021, 19:15   #4919
Senior - BHPian

Neither I had any failure in ABS (touchwood) for 5.5 years and 60k kms.
Old 8th August 2021, 00:42   #4920
BHPian

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-img_20210807_173634.jpg

Recently completed 50000Km on the odo. The only issue so far has been a failed thermostat at 49000Km. Luckily for me the car did not stop and could drive it to the service center. Thermostat replacement was done under warranty.

I had been seeing declining coolant levels since the car had done 8000Km. I reported it to service centers multiple times but they always said it was perfectly okay. Now that the thermostat is replaced I see the coolant level exactly where it was after replacement. I wonder if it was due to a thermostat issue all these days :/
vikrantshete is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed