Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th September 2021, 12:52   #4951
BHPian

Re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK View Post

On a related note, have insurance rates gone up? - I'm trying to renew my insurance into 3rd year and even with increase in no-claim-bonus the quote is 5k more than last year. Something to do with model discontinued and hence more expensive repairs?
I am in the same boat and renewing for Year 3 in Oct, however I see a drop of 2K from last year including Zero Dep excluding 3rd party since it was bought for 3 years at time of purchase. I hope your IDV is 30% of your purchase price as you renew for year 3.
Old 13th September 2021, 14:10   #4952
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the pony View Post
I am in the same boat and renewing for Year 3 in Oct, however I see a drop of 2K from last year including Zero Dep excluding 3rd party since it was bought for 3 years at time of purchase. I hope your IDV is 30% of your purchase price as you renew for year 3.
I've kept all terms same as last year, zero dep, return to invoice, IDV is around 18.5L. Last year got it for 40k and now its 45k.

I'm thinking of going for Acko and save some 8-10k (with RTI), how good/bad it is, I'll only find out in the worst circumstances.
Old 13th September 2021, 14:24   #4953
BHPian

Quote:
I've kept all terms same as last year, zero dep, return to invoice, IDV is around 18.5L. Last year got it for 40k and now its 45k.

I'm thinking of going for Acko and save some 8-10k (with RTI), how good/bad it is, I'll only find out in the worst circumstances.
I have been with United since day 1. My IDV would be 17.10L with Zero Dep as the only add-on plus 50% NCB and I am getting a quote of 14.8K.
Old 14th September 2021, 16:53   #4954
BHPian

Hi all,

You may know the Updates for Skoda Navigation System are released twice a yr.
In the 25th & 45th weeks respectively, accordingly the first Software update for this yr is out.
I did check it yesterday & have had the Software Update (~ 4 GB) downloaded to my PC.

Here's the link to the Update Portal-
https://updateportal.skoda-auto.com/en-gb

Last year, I remember it was a 'Zip' file, whereas this year it's a 'Bin' file. Though I've got it downloaded, haven't installed it on the Skoda Navigation Card yet.

I would like to ask if anybody has got the Skoda Navigation System updated to this newer Software version ?

Please share if any problems faced or any suggestions to look after..

Thanks,
Old 14th September 2021, 17:41   #4955
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Vikas View Post
Hi all,
Last year, I remember it was a 'Zip' file, whereas this year it's a 'Bin' file. Though I've got it downloaded, haven't installed it on the Skoda Navigation Card yet.

I would like to ask if anybody has got the Skoda Navigation System updated to this newer Software version ?

Please share if any problems faced or any suggestions to look after..
I'm assuming you are talking about maps? - I just downloaded (even if no one uses that navigation), it is a 3.9GB zip file and there is no BIN file in the entire folder.

When I put my car's VIN (2019 L&K), it does not show any other updates other than maps.
SLK is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2021, 20:42   #4956
BHPian

Quote:
I'm assuming you are talking about maps? - I just downloaded (even if no one uses that navigation), it is a 3.9GB zip file and there is no BIN file in the entire folder.

When I put my car's VIN (2019 L&K), it does not show any other updates other than maps.
Thanks for the reply.

It was my mistake, I think.
I downloaded the update in my mobile first & so the things got messed up.
Now once again getting it downloaded in the PC & hope it will be ready to be installed on to the Navigation Card finally.

And yes it's just the Maps update available in our region.
Old 14th September 2021, 22:38   #4957
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
And yes it's just the Maps update available in our region.
On a separate note, this system is clearly capable of more. It has bluetooth, wifi, hotspot, almost everything one needs to have connectivity to the outside world. But they (Skoda) hasn't even enabled voice commands. If traffic updates could be enabled on their maps (which is possible), virtual cockpit could have been put to a whole new level of use!

Has anyone ever enabled voice command in Octavia? (other than using Android auto connection).
Old 19th September 2021, 13:13   #4958
BHPian

My Octavia, is running on stock tyres (goodyears-205/55/16). The car has run 10000 kms.

I have a yeti also, which is running Michelins PS4 in stock size-215/60/16. These tyres have done 15000 kms. I notice a marked difference in driving both, comfort and noise wise.

Can I replace the Octavia's tyres with Yeti's?

What effect would it have on the suspension?
Any other effects such replacement would have?
Old 19th September 2021, 14:08   #4959
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepfusion View Post

Can I replace the Octavia's tyres with Yeti's?
Well, you can but you shouldn't. The %age difference is 5% and it will affect the handling attributes of both vehicles. Skoda will also void any suspension or DSG warranty if they note the swap.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-screenshot_20210919134138.jpg  

itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2021, 09:20   #4960
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Is there a way to acquire and install Skoda car connect dongle on 3rd Gen Octavia? I can't see why it would be incompatible, but it seems to collect good information.
Old 23rd September 2021, 19:35   #4961
BHPian

Is it normal for the headlight to fog this way? This happens every time I wash the car. I've not seen this issue in any other car so far.
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-pxl_20210910_065154739.jpeg
Old 23rd September 2021, 20:34   #4962
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anaghp View Post
Is it normal for the headlight to fog this way? This happens every time I wash the car. I've not seen this issue in any other car so far.
Attachment 2211104
Yes, it is normal. The user's manual says it will and mine does too.

Don't know why this happens though, liquid cooled headlights?
SLK is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2021, 12:20   #4963
BHPian

Shocking mileage on my 3rd gen Octavia

I had to travel from Gurgaon to Kota and I was supposed to reach Kota late in the evening for some particular reason. So, naturally, I wasn't in a hurry at all for my drive, though I left early as I wanted to enjoy the serene drive. Most of the time, I try to reach quickly, which this car happily complies with. This time, I wanted to soak in the drive of 1.8 TSI.

Gurgaon to Jaipur:
Drive till Bhiwadi was with traffic, and hence I couldn't use cruise control at all, then I could use it intermittently till Shahjahanpur where there is road blockade by protestors. Fortunately, this time, I had to spend only around 30-35 minutes to cross this 2-3 kms stretch (usually I spend about an hour for this segment).

Had a pit stop for break fast after Behror. From here till Gopalpura bypass, I had used cruise control for around 80% of my drive. Cruise was set at 85 kmph and even my drive from the origin till Behror was between 85 to 90 kmph, which I had manually controlled.

Jaipur to Kota:
Used the Jaipur Bypass for my travel till Kota and in this route, I had used cruise control for about 80% of my drive, with cruise set at 85 kmph.

En route, when I had another pit stop, I checked the MID for the mileage and I found an amazing mileage of 19.7 kmpl! I am enclosing the image for reference.

Again till Ballop the drive was super smooth with Cruise set at 85 kmph. From Ballop till kota (around 20 odd kms), I had encountered quite a traffic route with the vehicle mostly in 5th and 6th gear and it never shifted to 7th at all. And in Kota it was the usual city traffic vehicles jostling for space.

When I finally reached my destination, the mileage was still 19.6 kmpl!!! When I used the tank-fill method later, I found the mileage at 19.5 kmpl!!
I am enclosing the second image too with this number.

I was seriously taken aback by this fuel consumption in a 1.8 turbo petrol. Couldn't wait to share this with the Team BHP brethren.Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-octy2.jpg

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-octy1.jpg

Last edited by K.grg : 25th September 2021 at 12:25. Reason: Image changed from pdf to jpg
K.grg is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 27th September 2021, 16:03   #4964
BHPian

Re: Shocking mileage on my 3rd gen Octavia

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.grg View Post
I checked the MID for the mileage and I found an amazing mileage of 19.7 kmpl! I am enclosing the image for reference.

When I finally reached my destination, the mileage was still 19.6 kmpl!!! When I used the tank-fill method later, I found the mileage at 19.5 kmpl!!

That's simply an exceptional stuff..

Few queries-
1. Was the AC 'ON' all the time? (Hopefully, Yes)
2. What's the tyre pressure you maintain ?
3. Do you refuel with any branded fuel like- Power/ Extra mile etc or the regular one available at bunks ?
4. No. of passengers on board for the particular journey.
5. Finally, Car make & model ?

Thanks,
Old 27th September 2021, 16:12   #4965
BHPian

Re: Shocking mileage on my 3rd gen Octavia

Would like to clarify that:
  1. AC was always on, set at 25 deg. The weather was cloudy and was raining intermittently during my journey
  2. I maintained the tyre pressure at 34 psi
  3. It was normal fuel, as I am never tempted to go in for premium fuels, ever.
  4. I was the lone passenger in my drive, with just a small overnighter bag
  5. It is Octavia 1.8 TSI, L&K, 2019 make. In around 27 months, it was driven just shy of 25K Kms, when I had made this trip.

Quote:
That's simply an exceptional stuff..

Few queries-
1. Was the AC 'ON' all the time? (Hopefully, Yes)
2. What's the tyre pressure you maintain ?
3. Do you refuel with any branded fuel like- Power/ Extra mile etc or the regular one available at bunks ?
4. No. of passengers on board for the particular journey.
5. Finally, Car make & model ?

Thanks,
K.grg is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks