Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2022, 00:20   #5116
Senior - BHPian

Re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by viky_s View Post
Fellow Bhpians,
Greetings.
I ride a MK-3 2017 Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI. Stage-1 ECM remamp done-Superchips and Stage 1 TCU done.
Stock tyres are 205/55/R16. Looking to upgrade the tyres and or rims for more grip and high speed stability.
This is my daily ride and do not wish to sacrifice too much on the comfort.

1. 245/45/R17 (PS4) - Will look for used VRS-230 rims else will opt for new Momo rims. My tyre shop guy advised against this as he says due to low profile of the tyre , the side wall may get cut/damaged if i hit a pot hole at reasonable high speeds. Guys who have done this mod kindly give feedback.

2. 215/55/R16 - little more grip and same level of comfort. He had suggested Pirelli tyres or Michelin.

Kindly give your expert opinions.
I have Stage 1 TDI with Bilstein B6 and upgraded to 225/45/17. The ride is stiffer, mainly due to B6 maybe, but definitely not bad. Even in Bangalore roads I don’t find any issues. On positive side the car drives like a segment above with 225 tyres. Stability and handling is spot on.
I have Conti SC5, and during my last trip to Goa took few potholes at 70 to 80 kmph and both tyre and wheel held well. Cannot comment how PS4 would have taken them.
I would say just go for 225/45/17. It really changes the stance and put down those extra power better - you need that with the remap.
sunikkat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2022, 00:23   #5117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunikkat View Post
I have Stage 1 TDI with Bilstein B6 and upgraded to 225/45/17. The ride is stiffer, mainly due to B6 maybe, but definitely not bad. Even in Bangalore roads I don’t find any issues. On positive side the car drives like a segment above with 225 tyres. Stability and handling is spot on.
I have Conti SC5, and during my last trip to Goa took few potholes at 70 to 80 kmph and both tyre and wheel held well. Cannot comment how PS4 would have taken them.
I would say just go for 225/45/17. It really changes the stance and put down those extra power better - you need that with the remap.
What 17" rims are you using also are 225/50/R16 a viable upgrade?
Old 28th May 2022, 00:32   #5118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viky_s View Post
What 17" rims are you using also are 225/50/R16 a viable upgrade?
I am using MSW 25 by OZ Racing.

I had run 225/50/R16 PS3 for couple of years, but had tyre damage mainly due to tyres protruding from the wheel. However it did improve the way car drives. Octavia stock wheels are 6.5j width and 225 tyres are not recommended. Having said that I guess there are few here who are already using it and happy with the set up. Another challenge is getting that dimension tyres as I think Michelin is no more available in 225/50/16.

Last edited by sunikkat : 28th May 2022 at 00:33.
Old 2nd June 2022, 00:56   #5119
BHPian

Hello BHPians! My first post in this thread. Till now I've been a silent spectator to this thread and have been reading and gaining valuable info. I am a happy owner of the 2.0 TDI Octavia, 2020 model. 2.5 years and 38k kms down the the line, the car has been flawless, till last night. It refused to start, or even show any signs of life. As I have been following this thread, I am pretty sure that this is a dead battery issue. However I have some queries to the more experienced and knowledgeable Octavia owners.
1. The thread is having a majority of 1.8 TSI engines. Is anything different on the TDI when it comes to the battery.
2. What are my options of replacement, The OEM is of VARTA make and is of 72 Ah. All third party batteries available are of 74 Ah. Is that an issue with respect to warranty? I still have 1.5 yrs of warranty left and I intend to take the extended warranty too.
3. The car died without any indications at all! Absolutely nothing!. The crank was normal and all other functions were working normal till the afternoon and in the evening, even the reading lamps wouldn't turn on. How's that possible?
4. Due to my work nature, I am located in a remote location, where in the nearest Skoda service centre is 3 hours from here. Is it possible for a local mechanic to remove the battery and put the new one in, in case I go for the 3rd party option.
5. Any precautions to take before jumps starting the car? Can I use any available car to do it or should I find a car with matching battery specs?
Old 2nd June 2022, 08:17   #5120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by robby0707 View Post
Hello BHPians! My first post in this thread. Till now I've been a silent spectator to this thread and have been reading and gaining valuable info. I am a happy owner of the 2.0 TDI Octavia, 2020 model. 2.5 years and 38k kms down the the line, the car has been flawless, till last night. It refused to start, or even show any signs of life. As I have been following this thread, I am pretty sure that this is a dead battery issue. However I have some queries to the more experienced and knowledgeable Octavia owners.
First of all congratulations for owning such a fine car, mainly in TDI as it’s no more available.

This is definitely a battery issue. My TDI MT battery gave up like this suddenly.
Considering your car is in warranty suggest sticking with Skoda, though it will be expensive and come only with 1 or 2 years warranty. Also that battery in most probability wont last more than 2.5 years.
Post warranty I have got Amaron from after market and if I am not wrong it’s 72AH too.

Last edited by sunikkat : 2nd June 2022 at 08:18.
Old 2nd June 2022, 09:03   #5121
BHPian

Quote:
It refused to start, or even show any signs of life. As I have been following this thread, I am pretty sure that this is a dead battery issue.
You could call any local garage mechanic, jump start the car and then take it to the Skoda service station. Varta batteries are recommended over Amaron.
4WheelPilot is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2022, 13:47   #5122
BHPian

So as the car is in warranty, i called up the nearest skoda service centre. The SA said he’ll call back with the details and he called back saying that they will offer Volkswagen battery for approx 12k and that there will be no warranty. However they are ready to give goodwill warranty. I refused this on the face and said that i know that OEM is of VARTA make and it comes with 2 yr warranty and that i will not accept a new battery on the basis of goodwill warranty. I think the SA is trying to take me for a ride. He said he’ll check again and call back. Waiting for his call as of now.
Old 2nd June 2022, 16:41   #5123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So as the car is in warranty, i called up the nearest skoda service centre. The SA said he’ll call back with the details and he called back saying that they will offer Volkswagen battery for approx 12k and that there will be no warranty. However they are ready to give goodwill warranty. I refused this on the face and said that i know that OEM is of VARTA make and it comes with 2 yr warranty and that i will not accept a new battery on the basis of goodwill warranty. I think the SA is trying to take me for a ride. He said he’ll check again and call back. Waiting for his call as of now.
So what does he mean by goodwill warranty? You dont have to pay anything? If that is the case, I think you should go for it even if there is no warranty for the battery.
Btw if I am not wrong, new batteries from Skoda has only one year warranty now.
Old 2nd June 2022, 20:04   #5124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunikkat View Post
So what does he mean by goodwill warranty? You dont have to pay anything? If that is the case, I think you should go for it even if there is no warranty for the battery.
Btw if I am not wrong, new batteries from Skoda has only one year warranty now.
By goodwill, he means not on paper. And no i have to pay for the battery, not free. That’s why i refused.
Later he called back saying that the warranty is of 1 year which i contested again. Now the final is EXIDE battery with a warranty of 2 years!!! Overall, I’m not very comfortable with the way things are being done.
robby0707 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2022, 19:56   #5125

I am a proud owner of Škoda 2016 TDI style plus and recently did 150000 kms . It’s a gem of an engine and still takes off like a rocket . Have over hauled the full suspension at 135000 . Rest all regular services from Škoda dealership . Have had a wonderful journey in this vehicle and still looks brand new in interiors and exteriors .
Attached Thumbnails
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-a95e8e29fb834dffa5972e76a7775716.jpeg  

Maneesh1977 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 5th June 2022, 11:20   #5126
BHPian

Quote:
By goodwill, he means not on paper. And no i have to pay for the battery, not free. That’s why i refused.
Later he called back saying that the warranty is of 1 year which i contested again. Now the final is EXIDE battery with a warranty of 2 years!!! Overall, I’m not very comfortable with the way things are being done.
Hi Robby,
i have a 2017 TDI Styleplus AT Octavia. During the second service, battery test came out showing degradation, though there was no issue on starting. There was a faint flicker of lights while starting and it took a tad too long to start - about 2-3 seconds after pressing the ignition start. So asked for a replacement under warranty. Though the SA told that OEM batteries had warranty for 1 year only, i did show them some of the updates in this thread where goodwill warranty was provided upto 2 years. Basis that discussion was done with the ASS head (Jai Skoda, Gurgaon) and a mail was dropped to Skoda service team and then a new Exide battery with 2 years warranty and at a nominal fee of Rs 1500+18% GST was offered. Took the offer and got it replaced. All this happened on a sunday. Going by this experience, looks like your SA is playing hardball. If you have not yet changed, push for it.

Now during Feb 22, nearly after 2.7 years, the battery died, and had to jumpstart through Tata AIG RSA guy, as i was not using the car for more than a month, travelled out, i changed it to Amaron 72AH battery. While i have the extended warranty till next April, went with Amaron as this change will be definitely chargeable and was quoted 13k for Exide with 24 months warranty, and the Amaron one came for 8.8k with home replacement, 36 months warranty + 24 months prorated. Did the replacement through Batterywale online. Got changed in 3-4 hrs within ordering and paying online, by a battery guy who visited home. I was worried about recoding and resetting. But after two restarts, all the warnings went off. Got it rechecked during the 5th service done last month at the ASS and all working fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maneesh1977 View Post
I am a proud owner of Škoda 2016 TDI style plus and recently did 150000 kms . It’s a gem of an engine and still takes off like a rocket . Have over hauled the full suspension at 135000 . Rest all regular services from Škoda dealership . Have had a wonderful journey in this vehicle and still looks brand new in interiors and exteriors .
Wow. Congrats. Happy to know about this trouble free ownership. Wishing you many more Happy Miles. Mine has done about 67k kms now under 5 years. Not much of a running in the last two years due to WFH, else might have touched about 80k. Works like a tireless bull and pull cleanly. Had one replacement of AC compressor done under warranty till now. Hopefullly (touchwood), the pleasure of owning will continue.

Last edited by Karvel : 5th June 2022 at 11:27.
Karvel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th June 2022, 07:17   #5127
BHPian

Quote:
3. The car died without any indications at all! Absolutely nothing!. The crank was normal and all other functions were working normal till the afternoon and in the evening, even the reading lamps wouldn't turn on. How's that possible?
My 2019 TDi died just like yours after 2.5yrs of use and a mileage of about 28k kms. I parked the car in the house in the evening and next day morning, it refused to start just like that.

Quote:
2. What are my options of replacement, The OEM is of VARTA make and is of 72 Ah. All third party batteries available are of 74 Ah. Is that an issue with respect to warranty? I still have 1.5 yrs of warranty left and I intend to take the extended warranty too.
Your SA is talking nonsense about goodwill warranty as everything is entered in the vehicle data log in their system. I think the new battery gets 1 year warranty.
What my SA at TAFE Mangalore told me is that as long as you are in warranty period, it is better to go with company battery. Whenever there is a warranty claim, they will go around looking for reasons to deny the warranty. Also, he said they are more strict with automatic transmission cars than MT. Obviously warranty claims have been more with ATs
The problem with fitting a company battery for us Tier 2-3 towners is that it takes a long time. Tafe Mangalore doesn't stock batteries. It took 7 days from the day I called them to get the car running again.

Quote:
5. Any precautions to take before jumps starting the car? Can I use any available car to do it or should I find a car with matching battery specs?
I jumpstarted mine using my other car, Honda Jazz.
Deep Blue is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th June 2022, 23:27   #5128
BHPian

HELP NEEDED

I just got a Christmas tree on my dash. ESC and TPMS lights came on after the car was started. My car is driven pretty regularly. (2-3 times a week, 300km/ month). The car kept on beeping randomly when I started to drive. Limped her back home. The car was driving perfectly besides the theatrics. Parked her, switched the ignition off for 2 minutes and started her back up. No lights whatsoever. Drove her around the block a couple of times, car performed like new. Battery SOC also shows 100%.

Attaching links to videos I took of the error lights, the beeps while the car was being limped back home and the drive post the rest period.

The videos were taken in a completely safe manner in a quiet neighbourhood street while doing crawling speeds.

Has any fellow owner witnessed similar behaviour from their car? If yes, what was the root cause?

Thanks in advance.
Old 14th June 2022, 00:30   #5129

Can a 2019 Škoda Octavia be retrofitted with a reverse parking camera?

My recently acquired 2019 Octavia 2.0 TDI is a joy to drive, but most curiously, lacks a reverse parking camera. ASS people in Chennai now say it isn't possible to fit one, having initially said otherwise. Thoughts? Wouldn't mind third party, if I absolutely have to. TIA
Old 14th June 2022, 08:07   #5130
Senior - BHPian

Re: Can a 2019 Škoda Octavia be retrofitted with a reverse parking camera?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnupamRoy View Post
Wouldn't mind third party, if I absolutely have to. TIA
Any local accessory shop can fit a reverse camera, you can use a small additional display to avoid tampering the OEM wiring.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks