Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 16th June 2024, 08:30   #5611
BHPian

Re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

They identified front right sensor to be faulty and replaced just that piece. Since it is covered under EW they did billed me for Diagnostics and labour charges.
Current inconvenience - 6 days at workshop and complexity in diagnosis for 3 days.

Future Inconvenience - same loop would have to repeat when other sensor failures, as they save on part replacements. The extended warranty’s disadvantage.
Old 30th June 2024, 11:40   #5612
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nma83 View Post
Thanks! I did the same now, called Exide helpline (batmobile!) and they promptly sent a person within an hour to my house. The replacement was an Exide Epiq 74DIN model, the original battery being Varta 72DIN.
After the battery was replaced, the instrument cluster lit up with all warnings as you said, and driving it just out of the parking gate fixed all of them automatically.
This "unofficial" battery replacement seems to have come back to bite me now. Had given the car for regular 5th year service and they found a leak in the battery, photo below.
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-battleak_20240614_s.jpg
And the SA claims that the leak has dripped on the drive shaft of the front left wheel and corroded it!
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-wheeljoint_20240614_s.jpg
I now want to first change the battery in the service center itself, and then figure out how to fix the drive shaft. SA wants to replace the entire shaft and gave an estimate of 1 lakh. Is there any good FNG in south Bengaluru that I can take a second opinion from?
nma83 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st July 2024, 06:49   #5613
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Had given the car for regular 5th year service and they found a leak in the battery, photo below.
And the SA claims that the leak has dripped on the drive shaft of the front left wheel and corroded it!
Terrible luck this! Have not seen a modern battery leak like this. Can you get the same diagnosed at a expert battery place?

And when Skoda says 'driveshaft what do they mean? Only the half axle itself or more sub-components at the gearbox joint or wheel housing? A cursory search of Boodmoo does show that the full component is indeed expensive, but the child parts are pretty reasonable.
https://boodmo.com/catalog/3706-driv...via/?year=2016

Suggest you take it to a good FNG like Code6 (Hosa Road) or their new facility (Carmed) at Hennur. Additionally, get a second opinion from another Skoda workshop just to double check.
itwasntme is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2024, 12:26   #5614
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
And when Skoda says 'driveshaft what do they mean? Only the half axle itself or more sub-components at the gearbox joint or wheel housing? A cursory search of Boodmoo does show that the full component is indeed expensive, but the child parts are pretty reasonable.
https://boodmo.com/catalog/3706-driv...via/?year=2016

Suggest you take it to a good FNG like Code6 (Hosa Road) or their new facility (Carmed) at Hennur. Additionally, get a second opinion from another Skoda workshop just to double check.
I think the SA said the shaft boot was damaged, but entire shaft has to be replaced. Going back to the service center (TAFE Hosur road) this week to get battery replaced and will ask for more details then.
nma83 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2024, 13:18   #5615
BHPian

Quote:
This "unofficial" battery replacement seems to have come back to bite me now. Had given the car for regular 5th year service and they found a leak in the battery, photo below.
Attachment 2622527
Attachment 2622526
I now want to first change the battery in the service center itself, and then figure out how to fix the drive shaft. SA wants to replace the entire shaft and gave an estimate of 1 lakh. Is there any good FNG in south Bengaluru that I can take a second opinion from?
Please take the car to a FNG and get it done. Only the boot will need a change. Costs a fraction of what the A.S.S. quotes. Ballpark of 30k for one side.
deepfusion is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th July 2024, 15:59   #5616
BHPian

Quote:
I think the SA said the shaft boot was damaged, but entire shaft has to be replaced. Going back to the service center (TAFE Hosur road) this week to get battery replaced and will ask for more details then.
Got the battery replaced with a new 72Ah Varta battery (costed Rs.12K). The SA examined the all the components affected by the leak below the battery and the only casualty was the drive shaft boot. He quoted an estimate of about Rs.6K + labour to replace the boot, but warned there could be issues with the drive shaft itself later.
I went ahead with an advance payment for the boot at the ASC and hoping to get the spares in a couple of weeks.
nma83 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2024, 09:56   #5617
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I went ahead with an advance payment for the boot at the ASC and hoping to get the spares in a couple of weeks.
They didn't have drive shaft boot? This is the most common part!

You shouldn't have to wait a couple of weeks for this. My suggestion would be to write a stinker to Skoda mentioning the SA trying to fleece lakhs by fear mongering. Also I don't remember boot (one side) being 6k.
Please do check the part price on the Skoda website
MileCruncher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2024, 09:43   #5618
BHPian

Does Skoda Website list out part and service costs? It would be a good resource to validate their quotations. Would you please post the link here.
Old 7th July 2024, 13:22   #5619
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itssmano View Post
Does Skoda Website list out part and service costs? It would be a good resource to validate their quotations. Would you please post the link here.
It used to list out the broad service costs and selected repair costs, but unlike to have such granular items. A better bet is to Google the reputed aftermarkets spares websites and compare.
Old 10th July 2024, 14:23   #5620
BHPian

New Skoda Octavia under evaluation for local assembly in India, Not just the regular Octavia, but the sportier RS version is also understood to be on the cards.

Source: Autocar India https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...n-india-432178
Puntoo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2024, 19:46   #5621
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Also I don't remember boot (one side) being 6k.
Please do check the part price on the Skoda website
The Skoda service calculator gave me this estimate for the drive shaft boot:
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-screenshot_20240710_194226.png
Taken from https://www.skoda-auto.co.in/aid/ser...ost-calculator.
Old 12th July 2024, 14:47   #5622

Hi Everyone,

I am looking to buy a second-hand 2013-2017 Skoda Octavia Petrol 1.4 Litre Manual Transmission. The reason for the above is wanting a sedan, engaging in terms of drivability, budget, a manual transmission, a very comfortable but basic car relative to today's standards. All the cars listed are above 60,000 Kms and a couple over 1,00,000 on the odo. What should I be looking for in terms of parts which usually fail, cost of spares for such replacement parts, focus during test drives. What was your own general experience owning the car after crossing the 60-70k km mark.

Your advice and suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks
Akshay
Old 13th July 2024, 16:21   #5623
BHPian

Hey guys,

I am facing considerable rattling noises in the door pads and rear parcel shelf. Also, slight vibrations are present in the dash, steering column panels and behind the speedometer (not the steering or the rack), which I assume might be from the broken AC vents too. The car is a 2018 L&K TDI and has run about 80k.

Is it normal for a TDI? The chassis flex noise is also pretty evidently heard in the cabin.
Old 22nd July 2024, 08:25   #5624
BHPian

While the car was taken to a local MRF shop in Sector 50 for alignment, Gurgaon, the guy there broke the scroll pad on the right side of teh steering. I tried using fevikwik to paste the broken plastic, it has ruined the functioning of the scroll pad.

What to do? Is there a way to set it right? Or does it need to be replaced? If it is to be replaced, where to get it done?

Please guide.
Old 22nd July 2024, 09:06   #5625
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downshift98 View Post

Is it normal for a TDI? The chassis flex noise is also pretty evidently heard in the cabin.
Do check your Engine Mountings as well as the subframe mount. It may be time to replace them

Most Viewed