Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th December 2013, 10:35   #586
BHPian

re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suraj25 View Post
Slot it to reverse and then adjust the mirrors. When in D, the mirrors go back to their normal position. And every time you go into reverse the mirrors go to the position you set when you were in reverse.

This is how it works on mercs, but just give it a try. It might be the same.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red's View Post
Ok you could try this method, I use the same in my Laura and hope it works for the Octavia too. Just select the mirror u would want to make changes first, after you have made the desired changes press the memory setting button 1,2 or 3 and immediately press the SET button. Plz keep pressing the SET button until you hear a beep . Once you hear a beep sound your setting has been saved. To cross check change to some other position and press the desired memory setting button and check whether it appears to the desired position. Good luck. Happy motoring. A small request could you please post some more pics of the car, they are like eye candy !!!!
I have tried it. Will try again. More pictures up later. Need to get it all shining.
Old 18th December 2013, 14:55   #587
Distinguished - BHPian

Euro car of the year 2013 nominees!

The Skoda Octavia is the only car in the list which is available in India.

http://indianautosblog.com/2013/12/f...he-year-109589

Last edited by Jaggu : 18th December 2013 at 22:56.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2013, 19:22   #588
BHPian

Had a rather unsettling conversation with my bank that was dispersing the loan for a 1.8Tsi that I had booked a couple of weeks ago. They were informed by the dealership that the prices of the Octavia are in the process of being revised upwards. This change is supposedly imminent-as early as Jan 2014.
What is the usual practice in this situation? Will Skoda charge me the price at the time I made my booking or will I too have to pay the revised price? The correct way, at least in my view, is that they should stick to the sticker price at the time of booking. Is this a reasonable expectation? If I remember, a short while ago, Ford raised the prices of the Ecosport and even those who had booked at the original prices were asked to cough up the increased price.
What are my options here?
Old 18th December 2013, 19:31   #589
Team-BHP Support

Friends,

At last, I have decided to take the plunge. Booking the 1.8TSI tomorrow. Have been quoted 12 to 16 weeks for the delivery. The only concern that I have is still the extended warranty is not announced. I have a few questions on this.

1. I see that all the Skoda models except Octavia have the extended warranty. Can we safely assume that they will announce the extended warranty before the 2 year warranty expires? Is it always the practice with the manufacturers that they announce the extended warranty a few months after the car is released?
2. If I take the insurance from the dealer, will I get a chance to buy the extended warranty when it is announced?

Fellow TBHP'ians who have booked the Octavia: what were your thoughts about the extended warranty when you went ahead with the booking? Did your dealers promise the extended warranty will be available soon and you can avail of this when it is announced? Or were you satisfied with the 2 years warranty?

Fellow TBHP'ians who own other Skoda models: did you get the extended warranty at the time of purchase of the car, or did you buy the car without extended warranty, and got the extended warranty later when it was announced.

Thanks in advance for all the inputs.
graaja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2013, 19:47   #590
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Friends,

At last, I have decided to take the plunge. Booking the 1.8TSI tomorrow. Have been quoted 12 to 16 weeks for the delivery. The only concern that I have is still the extended warranty is not announced. I have a few questions on this.

1. I see that all the Skoda models except Octavia have the extended warranty. Can we safely assume that they will announce the extended warranty before the 2 year warranty expires? Is it always the practice with the manufacturers that they announce the extended warranty a few months after the car is released?
2. If I take the insurance from the dealer, will I get a chance to buy the extended warranty when it is announced?

Fellow TBHP'ians who have booked the Octavia: what were your thoughts about the extended warranty when you went ahead with the booking? Did your dealers promise the extended warranty will be available soon and you can avail of this when it is announced? Or were you satisfied with the 2 years warranty?

Fellow TBHP'ians who own other Skoda models: did you get the extended warranty at the time of purchase of the car, or did you buy the car without extended warranty, and got the extended warranty later when it was announced.

Thanks in advance for all the inputs.
Extended Warranty = Peace of Mind = Confidence of manufacturer in their vehichle.

Whether or not one should go ahed with extended warranties - http://www.team-bhp.com/advice/exten...ties-yes-or-no

There is nothing better than getting it at the time of delivery. Its also usually the cheapest at that time. However, for new vehichles typically the extended warranty is launched within couple of months(this happened when I bought i10 just days after its launch)

I would be surprised if that doesn't get launched even within next 2 years.

Why are you relating extended warranty with insurance. Both are seperate.
You can take the insurance from anywhere (even on your own) and also can buy extended warranty from any Skoda Dealer (not necessarily from where you bought the car).

Last edited by achopraa : 18th December 2013 at 19:50.
achopraa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2013, 20:45   #591
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by docsr View Post
Will Skoda charge me the price at the time I made my booking or will I too have to pay the revised price?
I'm sure you'll have to pay the revised price. They have it under Terms and Conditions: Price at the time of delivery would be applicable.

Atleast the retail purchase order receipt of Marikar Cochin has it. I hope the price rise is only marginal.
Old 18th December 2013, 20:58   #592
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by achopraa View Post
Extended Warranty = Peace of Mind = Confidence of manufacturer in their vehichle.

Whether or not one should go ahed with extended warranties - http://www.team-bhp.com/advice/exten...ties-yes-or-no

There is nothing better than getting it at the time of delivery. Its also usually the cheapest at that time. However, for new vehichles typically the extended warranty is launched within couple of months(this happened when I bought i10 just days after its launch)

I would be surprised if that doesn't get launched even within next 2 years.
Thanks for the confirmation. I will just trust Skoda to come with the extended warranty soon, and buy it as soon as it is out.

Quote:
Why are you relating extended warranty with insurance. Both are seperate.
You can take the insurance from anywhere (even on your own) and also can buy extended warranty from any Skoda Dealer (not necessarily from where you bought the car).
There are other users who have been denied extended warranty as they opted for other insurance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joethomasv View Post
I'm sure you'll have to pay the revised price. They have it under Terms and Conditions: Price at the time of delivery would be applicable.

Atleast the retail purchase order receipt of Marikar Cochin has it. I hope the price rise is only marginal.
The SA here also mentioned that the price existing at the time of delivery of the car will be applicable.
Old 18th December 2013, 21:16   #593
Senior - BHPian

Its a good idea to opt for extended warranty as your car gets covered up to four years, ofcourse, at the discretion of Skoda/dealer.

Its Skoda shield that's tied with your insurance.
Old 18th December 2013, 21:21   #594
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinbose View Post
Its a good idea to opt for extended warranty as your car gets covered up to four years, ofcourse, at the discretion of Skoda/dealer.

Its Skoda shield that's tied with your insurance.
I was under the impression that Skoda shield = Extended warranty. Will check with the SA tomorrow at the time of booking.
Old 18th December 2013, 21:52   #595
BHPian

Quote:
I was under the impression that Skoda shield = Extended warranty. Will check with the SA tomorrow at the time of booking.
Usually,

Skoda Shield = Insurance + Extended Warranty + Road Side Assistance.

So are they offering Skoda Shield with Octavia?
2 years Extended warranty should be costing roughly in range of 15K.
Old 18th December 2013, 21:54   #596
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I was under the impression that Skoda shield = Extended warranty.
Their definition of Skoda Shield keeps changing. Even after being a zero error Skoda car owner, buying a Skoda without 4 year extended warranty is not advisable under any circumstances.
dkaile is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th December 2013, 22:52   #597
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
. I see that all the Skoda models except Octavia have the extended warranty. Can we safely assume that they will announce the extended warranty before the 2 year warranty expires? Is it always the practice with the manufacturers that they announce the extended warranty a few months after the car is released? Fellow TBHP'ians who own other Skoda models: did you get the extended warranty at the time of purchase of the car, or did you buy the car without extended warranty, and got the extended warranty later when it was announced. Thanks in advance for all the inputs.
Extended warranty was not available on the Superb when I bought it. It was announced about 6 months later. However, Skoda refused to provide me with the extended warranty even though I approached them for it as soon as it was offered (well before my warranty expired). If this is important, please ask the dealer to confirm that you will be eligible for it in writing - or even better, get a confirmation from Skoda itself. Verbal assurances have no value.
Old 19th December 2013, 00:05   #598
BHPian

I was told that the insurance with the octavia is just comprehensive insurance and not Skoda Shield. Ergo no extended warranty linked to insurance. I also asked the dealer if getting the insurance myself would affect the extended warranty. The answer was no so I went ahead and got my own insurance. The price difference is huge. The dealer quoted 71,000 for basic comprehensive whereas i got a 0 dep with all the bells and whistles for almost 30% lesser.
Old 19th December 2013, 10:08   #599
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
Extended warranty was not available on the Superb when I bought it. It was announced about 6 months later. However, Skoda refused to provide me with the extended warranty even though I approached them for it as soon as it was offered (well before my warranty expired). If this is important, please ask the dealer to confirm that you will be eligible for it in writing - or even better, get a confirmation from Skoda itself. Verbal assurances have no value.
That is quite scary. The SA here says I can avail of the extended warranty as soon as Skoda announces this. However, he is not willing to give anything in writing. He insists that they will honor their words and let me buy the extended warranty when it is announced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Their definition of Skoda Shield keeps changing. Even after being a zero error Skoda car owner, buying a Skoda without 4 year extended warranty is not advisable under any circumstances.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticmonkey View Post
I was told that the insurance with the octavia is just comprehensive insurance and not Skoda Shield. Ergo no extended warranty linked to insurance. I also asked the dealer if getting the insurance myself would affect the extended warranty. The answer was no so I went ahead and got my own insurance. The price difference is huge. The dealer quoted 71,000 for basic comprehensive whereas i got a 0 dep with all the bells and whistles for almost 30% lesser.
There seems to be lots of confusion related to Insurance, Skoda shield and Extended warranty. As Skoda itself does not have a correct definition for Skoda shield, I think it is all left to the dealer's discretion. I will discuss again in detail with the dealer and try to understand the finer details of Skoda shield, extended warranty and insurance and will keep you all updated.

Quote:
Usually,

Skoda Shield = Insurance + Extended Warranty + Road Side Assistance.

So are they offering Skoda Shield with Octavia?
2 years Extended warranty should be costing roughly in range of 15K.
No. Skoda is not offering Skoda Shield with Octavia. In their website Skoda shield is mentioned only for Superb, Yeti, Rapid and Fabia. Per this web page, Skoda shield is a one year comprehensive insurance + extended warranty bought at the time of purchase of the vehicle. They do not mention anything about buying the extended warranty after purchasing the vehicle.

Based on Hayek's experience if one buys the car when extended warranty is not available, he is not allowed to get it when it is announced. Is this a punishment for early buyers? Not fair at all!!

I tried writing to Skoda customer care to ask about Skoda shield, but they have this automatic reply that redirects the query back to the dealer . Maybe this justifies a letter to higher officials in Skoda?
Old 19th December 2013, 10:29   #600
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
That is quite scary. The SA here says I can avail of the extended warranty as soon as Skoda announces this. However, he is not willing to give anything in writing. He insists that they will honor their words and let me buy the extended warranty when it is announced.
I don’t understand why VAG group brands have so much of confusion when it comes to extended warranty. They really make it so difficult for the customers. I mean, Skoda website have it defined it clearly, but they have curiously omitted Octavia from the list.

It’s better to insist on a written confirmation. You may never know – 6 months later, the SA who gave you a verbal commitment may not be there in the organization, and it may result in the situation Hayek had with his Superb.

And more importantly, they have mentioned this on the website (and no reference of buying the ext. warranty during the initial two years of ownership):

Quote:
From where to be purchased

It can be purchased at the time of purchase of the new vehicle from an authorised SKODA dealership.
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks