Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2014, 11:23   #1111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Not from my own experience: 38000 km done. Nothing alarming about the noise. These are decent tyres really. And mine is a TSi and is driven like a TSi :-)

Of course there can be better tyres out there but what I find funny these days is people change the stock tyres because that seems to be "the in thing to do" :-)

Well, that's good to hear. Never heard much good about the stock Goodyears, yours is the first positive opinion! I'm well aware yours is a TSi, I've read all the TSi threads thoroughly including yours

It could be that changing the tyres is "de rigueur", but to move to Pirelli/Yokohama/Michelin for just about Rs. 4000 (give or take) is not a bad deal at all. Some see the sense, some don't. I guess it's a question of to each his own, really.
iliketurtles is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2014, 12:59   #1112
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
I think you after you switch them you will realize what all of us are barking on about these Goodyears. If you find them acceptable even after 38000kms then you are in for a pleasant surprise when you switch them out. The Goodyears are horribly noisy and the ride is stiff, no 2 ways about that.
I have Michelins on other cars and in general they are better. but that does not mean NCT 5s are bad at all. And though they started howling a bit after 35k, the ride is plush even today. May be Skoda cheated me and my car was built with duplicate Goodyears :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
Some see the sense, some don't. I guess it's a question of to each his own, really.
The member specifically said his car will be used for sedate driving. But yes, it's his money, he can spend it on whatever he wants. Still there is no harm in keeping the forum honest, once in a while :-)
anandpadhye is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2014, 13:23   #1113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The member specifically said his car will be used for sedate driving. But yes, it's his money, he can spend it on whatever he wants. Still there is no harm in keeping the forum honest, once in a while :-)
True that, but he said a silent ride is paramount, which is what caught my eye and made me jump in with an opinion.

Cheers, see ya around!
Old 5th August 2014, 19:25   #1114
Distinguished - BHPian

I am of the opinion that tyres make a huge difference to the way the car drives and to the "feel" that a car delivers to the driver and passengers while on the move. Tyres are one part of a car that most manufacturers look to save money on. They are bought out items and as long as they are made by some of the big reputed manufacturers, nobody is complaining. Kind of what manufacturers do with batteries these days. OE batteries generally don't last as long as replacement ones. Thin tyres help boost mileage figures and are cheaper than fatter ones. Maruti and Honda's affinity for thin weedy tyres comes from here. Also one more thing to note is that the real test of a tyre is how they behave after some 5 to 10k kms. When the tyre is new, most tyres are quiet and offer good ride and grip levels. Its after some usage that the differences start to show. The deterioration is so gradual that some owners don't even realise what they are missing out.

I've used Goodyears on several cars of mine as they came OE on these cars. The rubber quality of these tyres is pathetic to say the least. You can feel the difference by just feeling the rubber by your hand. Cars like the Jetta and Octavia really deserve better tyres than these, more than a decade old, NCT5s. You are spending 20L + to buy these cars. Don't let poor tyres ruin the feel good factor of these great cars. Spend another 5 to 10K and get the best out of your 20 Lakh car. It does make a difference, I can vouch for it.
Santoshbhat is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th August 2014, 20:22   #1115
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post

Cars like the Jetta and Octavia really deserve better tyres than these, more than a decade old, NCT5s.
Santosh, every car deserves good tyres regardless of it's brand and price. Even a Maruti Alto will grip better and stop quicker with better tyres. The point is people should avoid being unnecessarily brand conscious. A diesel Octavia can safely run on NCT 5s. They are good tyres from an ordinary brand. And regarding 10 year old Goodyear design - Laura (Octy 2) is a 9 year old design and TSi has been around for 7+ years. Time flies, we are getting older too fast :-)

In lighter vein: How many kilometers did you run your Laura on the Goodyears before you switched them? (I know the answer) Looks like I am probably the only one on this forum who has first hand experience of driving this 160 BHP car on NCT 5's for 38000 km(?) And me and my car are alive (and quite fit) to tell the story...

Cheers!
Old 5th August 2014, 21:19   #1116
BHPian

I've done 9000 kms so far on the OE goodyears and the ride/handling/grip etc are good so far. Noise levels are very low too. Two wheel alignment centres warned me that they'll become noisier once they cross 15k kms. The ride's going to be stiffer too according to one. I guess I'll find that out soon. A friend also got an Octavia last month so I can compare the ride/noise at a later stage.
The tires on my car are wearing out at an accelerated pace too. The are definitely not going to cross 30k kms.
joethomasv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2014, 21:24   #1117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

In lighter vein: How many kilometers did you run your Laura on the Goodyears before you switched them? (I know the answer) Looks like I am probably the only one on this forum who has first hand experience of driving this 160 BHP car on NCT 5's for 38000 km(?) And me and my car are alive (and quite fit) to tell the story...

Cheers!

I have completed 18000 kms on the Octy III TSI, yes it is driven like a TSI. And sometimes like a go-kart now initially, tyres were absolutely fine, and less noise and all smiles. But off late, I have started to feel slightest grip-loss, and much much more road noise. There is no uneven wear, hell there is no wear at all, at least to my perception. I was also tempted to swap tyres at 5k kms, but then resisted as I had nothing to complain. Now I am at the PNR -Point of No Return, I must exhaust this set, at say about 27-28k kms, and then swap them for Michelin or Pirelli, whatever you GURUS suggest is best for minimum noise, and good grip of course. Few days back, for the first time ever I heard the tyres on the Octy squealing, on the road, nothere wasn't any dust nor water on the road, that was my first proper smoking start so I am feeling that tyres are now starting to lose some grip. I swapped the NCT5s on the Laura at about 38-39K kms. Had nothing to complain, but wanted a slightly wider track. Sadly at 45K kms, I bid adieu to it after the accident. Now for my Octy, my priorities are:

1) Minimum stopping distance and grip in all weathers, since I am a heavy highway runner.
2) Absolutely silent ride, again same reason as above. Yoko DBS for the Laura were dead silent.
3) Absolute comfort. I am still not sure of the best tyre pressure to be set for thr Octy TSI, but maintaining 32 psi all round.
4) Budget of about 8-8.5K per tyre, may be I can opt for wider track, 215/55/R16 is what I am looking at.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th August 2014, 21:31   #1118
BHPian

Launch Skoda Octavia vRS - Petrol & Diesel

Hello Everyone,

I am reading lot of news of various websites on the launch of Skoda Octy vRS version, as i am eagerly waiting for its launch.

Just wanted to get some more recent updates on the launch. Globally(ie EU)skoda vRS has been launched in both the versions ie Petrol and Diesel.

Any idea, what is the strategy adopted for Indian customers. When contacted few of the authorized dealers at bangalore they outrightly replied that, they have know freaking clue on the launch of this model itself. Some SA was pushing me to see the 2013 Octy.

Can any one in this forum let me know;

1. Whether vRS would be launched in India if at all?
2. If yes, whether are they planning to launch both the Petrol and Diesel versions available as per EU?
3. What is the expected dates of launch?
4. If launched in India, will the specs be similar to that off EU ones?

I have owned the Honda Accord V6 earlier and still a big fan of that engine. But recently abt few months back, i drove Laura vRS of my friend and from then i have become a fan of this engine.

Awaiting bhpians replies to this request of mine.
Old 5th August 2014, 22:02   #1119
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Santosh, every car deserves good tyres regardless of it's brand and price. Even a Maruti Alto will grip better and stop quicker with better tyres.
Yes Anand, I quite agree. I swapped the bridgestones even on my i10 AT to wider Michelins immediately after delivery. Not because of lack of grip from the stock tyres, but for better and quieter ride.

Quote:
The point is people should avoid being unnecessarily brand conscious.
Past experiences and user opinions create brand awareness. If a brand has consistently dished out bad tyres, I am going to stay away from that brand.

Quote:
A diesel Octavia can safely run on NCT 5s. They are good tyres from an ordinary brand.
I don't think the NCTs are unsafe per se. Gripwise I don't think they'd fair poorer than Michelin PLCs or P3STs. The rubber compound on these Goodyears is hard and not as supple as the Michelins. They just don't deliver that plush ride you get with Michelin rubber or for that matter any tyre with quality rubber.

Quote:
And regarding 10 year old Goodyear design - Laura (Octy 2) is a 9 year old design and TSi has been around for 7+ years. Time flies, we are getting older too fast :-)
Yes of course. The NCTs were probably an OK choice in 2005 for the Laura. But in 2014, I think there are far better options for the Octy.

Quote:

Cheers!
I am not basing my opinion on hearsay. I've had OE Goodyears on my Palio and also on my Santro. The switch to Michelin was a revelation on how well the cars actually rode. Even for my Corolla I had Goodyear Eagle F1's briefly after reading some good reviews in Auto mags. THey were the worst tyres I have ever used. THe rubber became so hard in about 7,000 kms that I had to discard the tyre in about a year. Given my bad experiences with GYs, I was not prepared to use the tyre for a even a day on my Laura. Which is why I drove straight to the tyre shop after taking delivery.

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 5th August 2014 at 22:13.
Old 5th August 2014, 23:02   #1120
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joethomasv View Post
I've done 9000 kms so far on the OE goodyears and the ride/handling/grip etc are good so far. Noise levels are very low too. Two wheel alignment centres warned me that they'll become noisier once they cross 15k kms. The ride's going to be stiffer too according to one. I guess I'll find that out soon.
Yes, I would say you did the right thing. One can switch to any supposedly better tyre any day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
I have completed 18000 kms on the Octy III TSI, yes it is driven like a TSI. And sometimes like a go-kart now initially, tyres were absolutely fine, and less noise and all smiles. But off late, I have started to feel slightest grip-loss, and much much more road noise. There is no uneven wear, hell there is no wear at all, at least to my perception. I was also tempted to swap tyres at 5k kms, but then resisted as I had nothing to complain. Now I am at the PNR -Point of No Return, I must exhaust this set, at say about 27-28k kms, and then swap them for Michelin or Pirelli, whatever you GURUS suggest is best for minimum noise, and good grip of course..
All tyres wear out. Some sooner than others. My NCTs haven't screeched even once, ABS kicks in before that and Laura has one of the best ABS implementations in the business. In fact, I can say that even the ABS has kicked in only on handful occasions which says a lot about the tyres. I drive with decent anticipation which can be a reason, but still this is a F-A-S-T car, so NCTs have done pretty well, I can vouch for that.

BTW, upsizing for wider footprint is a totally different topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
I don't think the NCTs are unsafe per se. Gripwise I don't think they'd fair poorer than Michelin PLCs or P3STs. The rubber compound on these Goodyears is hard and not as supple as the Michelins. They just don't deliver that plush ride you get with Michelin rubber or for that matter any tyre with quality rubber.

I am not basing my opinion on hearsay. I've had OE Goodyears on my Palio and also on my Santro. The switch to Michelin was a revelation on how well the cars actually rode. Even for my Corolla I had Goodyear Eagle F1's briefly after reading some good reviews in Auto mags. THey were the worst tyres I have ever used. THe rubber became so hard in about 7,000 kms that I had to discard the tyre in about a year. Given my bad experiences with GYs, I was not prepared to use the tyre for a even a day on my Laura. Which is why I drove straight to the tyre shop after taking delivery.
Santosh, yes, don't get me wrong, I follow your thread closely and I feel you are not a blind brand/fashion follower. Regarding Goodyear, I also have a similar background. My Honda City came with Goodyear GPS2s which were simply pathetic. And that would have made me change the OEM Goodyears on the Laura by default, but I read about NCT5s, asked around and decided to try them, and it was worth it. I have been astonished many times by the fact that the same company/brand sells products that are completely opposite when it comes to quality (e.g. the same guys who brought first turbo petrol to India, also brought the crappy 3 cylinder 1.2L engine! The same company that made the first gen Tucson, also made the i10 and Verna, I mean just check out the steering of my Tucson - absolutely zero play/slack). Goodyear is a similar story (GPS2 versus NCT5). Can't comment on Eagle F1s as I never owned them.

Last edited by anandpadhye : 5th August 2014 at 23:04.
Old 6th August 2014, 00:11   #1121
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
All tyres wear out. Some sooner than others. My NCTs haven't screeched even once, ABS kicks in before that and Laura has one of the best ABS implementations in the business. In fact, I can say that even the ABS has kicked in only on handful occasions which says a lot about the tyres. I drive with decent anticipation which can be a reason, but still this is a F-A-S-T car, so NCTs have done pretty well, I can vouch for that.

My Honda City came with Goodyear GPS2s which were simply pathetic. And that would have made me change the OEM Goodyears on the Laura by default, but I read about NCT5s, asked around and decided to try them, and it was worth it.
I agree with you 100%.

Except for tyre noise, I have never experienced any problem with NCT5's for the past 18K+ kms. Grip has been excellent - Very less tyre wear - Not even a single squeal until now - Rubber is holding on very well - Should not be a problem for a minimum of 30K Kms on the ODO / 2 years.

I recommend wheel balancing and alignment after an initial running of about 1000 Kms - for any car / any brand tyre. This works wonders for the life of the tyre and also our experience.

Problem with Tyre noise depends on, what tyre one has used in the past and how much one can take. I come from using Bridgestones and Apollos. Naturally, I do not have a problem.

NCT5 has been handling the power of Jetta in a commendable way. I have never felt nerves at any speed or while cornering or while applying brakes.

One thing I am sure is the Tyre size. I do not need an upgrade. But my next set of tyres will definitely be what I want and that is P3ST.

Last edited by Chethan B G : 6th August 2014 at 00:13.
Chethan B G is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2014, 09:46   #1122
BHPian

Surprised that the Octavia does not have the organ type accelerator (OTA). This is there in my Laura. DSG and no OTA is
Old 6th August 2014, 09:52   #1123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedricsg View Post
Surprised that the Octavia does not have the organ type accelerator (OTA). This is there in my Laura. DSG and no OTA is

All new models based MQB do not come with Organ type accelerator pedal. Initially I also thought its silly, but now I don't miss it. This one is actually better for 'heel-toe' driving but my car is already equipped with an auto blip feature when driven in Sports or Manual mode.
Old 6th August 2014, 12:29   #1124
BHPian

I can share the experience I have had with Goodyear NCT5s. Came equipped with our Laura 2.0 DSG bought in 2010, the car shared between me and my dad. the first set of NCT5s lasted us approximately 60k kms. to be fair, the car is driven mostly on highways around Chandigarh at cruising speed or between gurgaon and delhi, and only an occasional case of spirited driving. Got a second set of NCT5s and they lasted us 40k km. Post that changed to Vredestein Sportracs, and there is a world of difference. the noise levels are super low even after running of 15k kms. you appreciate the difference only when you change the tyres. I am hoping the noise levels remain low for a considerable time.
lalittalwar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th August 2014, 12:52   #1125
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Launch Skoda Octavia vRS - Petrol & Diesel

Well, if the old Octy and Laura stories are anything to go by, the new Octy vRS whenever it does get launched will definitely not be similar to EU Spec.
The engines will be similar to the ones currently available, and barring a minor change in suspension and features like different alloys, spoiler, vRS body kit, etc. - one should not expect much more.

Most Viewed