Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th August 2014, 13:08   #1126
BHPian

Hi ru153, I was also keenly following the hype regarding the new Octavia vRS and its expected launch in India. Although I can't quote any reliable sources, what I could gather from various online threads was that Skoda is not planning to launch it anytime soon. The regular Octavia although a very good product hasn't really took off the way Skoda wanted. Skoda sales in general has been low.So it is only logical from Skoda's part to be apprehensive about a halo product's launch. If and when it does get to Indian shores, Skoda could go either way with the engine options ,the diesel being the more probable one(although I wonder how they can market it as a performance sedan).Like everyone, I do hope they bring the 220bhp monster! The ride control that we see in euro versions are likely to get a miss to keep the price within reasonable limits. All of these are speculations,and there is no official word about any of these,so I could be wrong.
Let's see if any knowledgeable member of team-bhp can shed some light on the same. For the time being, the wait continues.
GKR9900 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2014, 13:10   #1127
BHPian

Re: Launch Skoda Octavia vRS - Petrol & Diesel

from the recent updates, it seems that the vRS won't make it to India. here's one link

http://www.motoroids.com/news/new-20...-india-august/

Skoda seem to be directionless right now. maybe they have a strategy beyond Rapid, but it has not been revealed yet.
Old 6th August 2014, 13:11   #1128
BHPian

Even if we don't get the EU spec, the Octavia vRS will be one hot looking car, no two ways about it. Much better than the Laura vRS.

I don't think they will be offering two engine options with it. An enthusiast-oriented package only in petrol is what most probably it will be.

In one of the threads, I don't remember which, but there BHP'ian prithwi-81 stated that if we go by the usual norm, Skoda will launch the Octavia vRS somewhere around end 2014 or mid 2015.

-Bhargav
Old 6th August 2014, 15:29   #1129
GTO
Team-BHP Support

re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Honestly, the Octavia 1.8 TSI itself is supremely fast. Additionally, it retails at 22 lakhs in Mumbai and I doubt there's any scope for a vRS at a higher price.

But then, Skoda has recently changed its focus to the premium segment only. Maybe, they should just offer every kind of variant they can.

Personally, give me a 6-speed manual with the Octavia 1.8 TSI and I'm happy. However fast a DSG might be, manual is manual. Period.
GTO is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th August 2014, 16:14   #1130
Distinguished - BHPian

For the petrol VRS sans the DSG box , they may be able to price it at par with the 1.8 TSI elegance DSG. That will make it a very tempting option for the performance hungry enthusiast. Add bigger wheels, bigger turbos, sport suspensions and remaps and you've got one red hot car.

The VRS is never going to give them volumes, but is an important halo product for Skoda in India. Wouldn't be a bad idea to import a fixed number of CBUs or CKDs for that matter, and call it a limited edition. The VRS has a built up great following, it will be a real pity if Skoda skips the VRS for the current gen Octy.
Santoshbhat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th August 2014, 17:34   #1131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Honestly, the Octavia 1.8 TSI itself is supremely fast. Additionally, it retails at 22 lakhs in Mumbai and I doubt there's any scope for a vRS at a higher price.

But then, Skoda has recently changed its focus to the premium segment only. Maybe, they should just offer every kind of variant they can.

Personally, give me a 6-speed manual with the Octavia 1.8 TSI and I'm happy. However fast a DSG might be, manual is manual. Period.
Thanks GTO. Even I am wanting a Petrol Octy 1.9 TSI manual. I am not very keen on automatic as I support manual than Automatic. Just that I don't know, whether should I wait for Skoda's update or not is a million dollar question.
Old 6th August 2014, 17:41   #1132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
For the petrol VRS sans the DSG box , they may be able to price it at par with the 1.8 TSI elegance DSG. That will make it a very tempting option for the performance hungry enthusiast. Add bigger wheels, bigger turbos, sport suspensions and remaps and you've got one red hot car.

The VRS is never going to give them volumes, but is an important halo product for Skoda in India. Wouldn't be a bad idea to import a fixed number of CBUs or CKDs for that matter, and call it a limited edition. The VRS has a built up great following, it will be a real pity if Skoda skips the VRS for the current gen Octy.
Hi Santhosh Bhat,

I totally agree. I personally liked the current generation Octy and probably we can get the remap done to make it similar to VRS. However, factory fitting is factory fitting. I also liked the blue colour and the twin exhausts at the rear, which is really awesome and confidence inspiring. I sat in one of friend's Laura vRS and bang, this will be my next car was my instant decision.

Still today, ppl are ready to pay a premium for the first generation of Octy's vRS version.

Just keeping my fingers crossed, as of now. Let me probably wait and watch till end of this year.
Old 6th August 2014, 17:49   #1133
BHPian

I agree.If exercised properly,vRS has the potential to really transform Skoda's not so good image among Indian car buyers.Who else offers such amount of power,engineering and style this side of 30L anyway?It could well be the poor man's m5

Last edited by GKR9900 : 6th August 2014 at 17:54.
Old 7th August 2014, 13:16   #1134
BHPian

Whats an auto blip. Does it come as standard or you have to install it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
All new models based MQB do not come with Organ type accelerator pedal. Initially I also thought its silly, but now I don't miss it. This one is actually better for 'heel-toe' driving but my car is already equipped with an auto blip feature when driven in Sports or Manual mode.
Old 7th August 2014, 13:54   #1135
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedricsg View Post
Whats an auto blip. Does it come as standard or you have to install it?
Usually, when you downshift and release the clutch, the RPM of the engine driven high by the wheels. Without throttle input, this results in engine braking. This is not preferred in races (I believe this is not good for the engine too). So, race car drivers simultaneously apply throttle as they are pressing on the clutch for downshifting, thus increasing the RPM of the engine to match the lower gear.

In Octavia, when you manually downshift using the gear stick, the ECU automatically increases the engine RPM as it downshifts. This is called the auto-blip. This is part of the ECU logic and there is nothing to install.

Last edited by graaja : 7th August 2014 at 13:58.
graaja is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 7th August 2014, 20:28   #1136
Senior - BHPian

Skoda Octavia : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Usually, when you downshift and release the clutch, the RPM of the engine driven high by the wheels. Without throttle input, this results in engine braking. This is not preferred in races (I believe this is not good for the engine too). So, race car drivers simultaneously apply throttle as they are pressing on the clutch for downshifting, thus increasing the RPM of the engine to match the lower gear.

In Octavia, when you manually downshift using the gear stick, the ECU automatically increases the engine RPM as it downshifts. This is called the auto-blip. This is part of the ECU logic and there is nothing to install.

Thank you for answering that, I would not have put it in good words as you have! I was told on the forum or in this review itself, that only TSI's are equipped with auto blip feature in tiptronic mode? Have you experienced it in your TDI Jet? I remember there being no blip ship in my Laura DSG. And sadly, there is still no Launch Control in the Octy either :(

Last edited by adi_petrolhead : 7th August 2014 at 20:34.
Old 7th August 2014, 21:28   #1137
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
Thank you for answering that, I would not have put it in good words as you have! I was told on the forum or in this review itself, that only TSI's are equipped with auto blip feature in tiptronic mode? Have you experienced it in your TDI Jet? I remember there being no blip ship in my Laura DSG. And sadly, there is still no Launch Control in the Octy either :(
Thanks Adi. Yes, my Jetta TDI also has this auto-blip. With the paddle shifts, it is real fun cornering

And I believe there is no launch control on the Jetta as well.
Old 7th August 2014, 21:47   #1138
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

I couldn't agree more. Personally, waiting to see if a 1.8TSI MT will happen before my next car!
Old 8th August 2014, 18:33   #1139
Distinguished - BHPian

I am planning to replace my Laura (2006) with either Jetta or the new Octavia. Could BHPians with experience of owning either of these cars please share their experience on reliability, rattling, rear seat ride comfort. If I buy the new Octavia it would be the 1.8TSI with the better suspension.
Old 8th August 2014, 18:38   #1140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
Well, if the old Octy and Laura stories are anything to go by, the new Octy vRS whenever it does get launched will definitely not be similar to EU Spec.
The engines will be similar to the ones currently available, and barring a minor change in suspension and features like different alloys, spoiler, vRS body kit, etc. - one should not expect much more.
Hi,

Just wanted to check, does the Current Octy model is planning for an Manual TSI, just like the laura TSI manual one. Any news on the same.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks