Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th October 2013, 14:02   #121
BHPian

re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ackyash View Post
Guys, After owning 2 Skoda Laura's in our family, I would advise against buying the new Octavia if company does not offer extended warranty on the new octavia. Engine, electronics and transmission failure/issues are way too many on Skoda's and makes no sense to put one's hard earned money unless you are able to buy extended warranty.
Just my 2 cents based on owning 2 Lauras, your experience may have been different.
Being a Laura owner myself I feel that the new Octavia is just Laura's replacement. It is just old wine in a new bottle. The following are some of my views:

1. The front end looks good while the rear end is awfully similar to the Rapid.

2. It seems that the car may not be a runaway success but will have a respectful place alongside the Elantra, Corolla Altis, & Cruze. (The Fluence even though looks great does not have the numbers going for it)

3. Probably one may expect discounts / price cuts in 2014 if the numbers are average.

4. All of a sudden the Laura with its hefty discounts seems to be a VFM proposition!

5. IMO the Diesel Ambition MT would be the most preferred variant if somebody wants the Manual Transmission.
raichoudhury is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2013, 16:12   #122
BHPian

Thanks Guys for your suggestions on whether to buy the top end or not.

Am not going for it, its too expensive almost 2 lacs more than my budget and with the horror stories of their service i dont want to mess up things.

So planning for
Fluence - 18 lacs
Jetta - 23 lacs after discount
Elantra - 19lacs after discount

The new fluence is coming in Jan as they still have around 100 old kits to be sold.
The Jetta is available in down town auto dealer and the new one is coming in Jan.
Elantra facelift not soon, so it will remain the same.

Cruze/Kizashi are others which were seen.
kdeepakk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2013, 19:13   #123
Senior - BHPian

Since I own an outgoing Octy 2 (Laura) and was looking for a replacement for the ageing highway star I followed the advent of the Octy 3 on the MQB platform keenly including the "Unofficial Experts" thread here which unfortunately is now closed.

The increased wheelbase worried me as it might reduce effective GC and allow the bottom to scrape on uneven patches. This bogey was set to rest by the "Unofficials". I eyed the front overhang with concern as the angle of approach in the outgoing Octy 2 was excellent and let it deal with nasty bits on steep roads with aplomb. Besides these concerns another cropped up - the presence / absence of a cross member behind the grille in front of the radiator assembly. My question is this - Is there a cross member behind the front grille / bumper?

Skoda was always known for goodies in the equipment list (at least as optionals) and two items in the UK version had me drooling - one was the "Driver fatigue detection system" which would come in very useful on long drives across the country and the second was the "Phone compartment" - a little box in the centre which had an external antenna to help the phone catch signals. I was wondering if Skoda India is providing these - any idea?

One major damper is the move from multi-link to torsion bar for the 2.0 D. That was the engine I was looking at as it seems to be a bit of a tech marvel with its diagonally laid out valves with both cams running intake and exhaust valves. Reports said that only the top end D will come with the multi-link, I was hoping it would be the Elegance, now it seems that is not true. Does that mean Skoda is reserving the multi-link for the vRS? Is there a vRS D in the offing?
Ravveendrra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2013, 20:48   #124
Senior - BHPian

Seems like a terrific car. It is pricey but you do get loads of quality for that price. The Skoda offers way better quality and a feel good factor for a couple of lakhs over the competition and I would definitely perceive the quality to be above the average Toyota Corolla and Cruze. I am still worried about Skoda ASS Horror stories and i have been told my almost every Skoda owner to not buy one. Having owner a VW Vento over the last 2 years however has been a pleasant experience. The ASS also seems satisfactory.
nik_kapur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2013, 21:38   #125

Went to a couple of Skoda showrooms in gurgaon. No clarity on when the 1.4TSI petrol bookings/ deliveries will start.
Skoda staff as usual was cold & not bothered if a prospective buyer went off.

Quoted time by both dealerships was 1-2 months. Any idea from any other source? What's the status in other cities?
Old 5th October 2013, 21:46   #126
Senior - BHPian

Great Review.

Why is there a tall central hub in the rear ? This is a front wheel drive car is it not.
Old 5th October 2013, 21:58   #127
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra View Post
Skoda was always known for goodies in the equipment list (at least as optionals) and two items in the UK version had me drooling - one was the "Driver fatigue detection system" which would come in very useful on long drives across the country
Can be retrofitted, apparently:

http://vagtune.in/index.php?option=c...category_id=34
Old 5th October 2013, 23:33   #128
BHPian

There is a 3 month waiting period already in Navi Mumbai for the 1.8 TSI AT. I had gone to JMD Skoda to check the car out. Will put up the price list tomorrow however it's approximately 21.xx for the TSI AT and 23.xx for the TDI AT. Both these prices are for the elegance trim. Given the ongoing discounts on the superb I feel that should be a better bet.

Way too overpriced for the segment it operates in. With a very heavy heart I will have to delay or forgo the dream!
miharbe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2013, 00:18   #129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdeepakk View Post
Cruze/Kizashi are others which were seen.
Cruze does make a formidable option for a powerful diesel, any reason why not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miharbe View Post
There is a 3 month waiting period already in Navi Mumbai for the 1.8 TSI AT. I had gone to JMD Skoda to check the car out. Will put up the price list tomorrow however it's approximately 21.xx for the TSI AT and 23.xx for the TDI AT. Both these prices are for the elegance trim. Given the ongoing discounts on the superb I feel that should be a better bet.

Way too overpriced for the segment it operates in. With a very heavy heart I will have to delay or forgo the dream!
Same news here, Infact I was told that Skoda is not even manufacturing petrol 1.8 TSI until Jan 2014, anticipating diesel demand for now. Yes, it is expensive though many would say its the quality that you are paying for but its way too close to the other top German brands, a 2 year used C class will make more sense at 24 L I'd say.

Last edited by zulfi hansi : 6th October 2013 at 00:21. Reason: price comment
Old 6th October 2013, 01:22   #130
BHPian

I am a big Skoda fan and have been driving a Laura1.9PD for the past 5 years and can't think of a reason to replace it other than the fact that I am a little bored of its looks. It still drives like a dream. No squeaks or rattles and is like a bull on the road. I popped in to Skoda to look at the new Octavia. Frankly a little disappointed with the build quality. The doors reminded me of a Toyota. And the fact that the crdi comes with torsion beam suspension didn't make sense! I also was not impressed with the panoramic sunroof. I thought the way it opened was clumsy. Haven't had a TD yet a looking to take one in the 1.8 tsi to see if it gets the heartbeat going. Considering it's not exactly cheap and Skoda has done nothing to reassure buyers of a better ASS experience I may just fall out of love with Skoda.
ABbaby is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th October 2013, 09:14   #131
BHPian

On Road Individual Mumbai Prices

Diesel
Active-MT- 18.98 L
Ambition-MT-20.18 L
Ambition AT- 21.38 L
Elegance- AT-23.76 L

Petrol
1.4 Active-16.72 L
1.4 Ambition-17.90 L
1.8 Elegance- 21.74 L

I saw the car yesterday. I expected more from the interiors compared to the existing Laura. I think there is a some amount of cost cutting there so the overall finish was not up to the mark. In fact i felt the current laura with the elegance and L&K version interiors were of better quality
amidoc is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th October 2013, 16:27   #132
BHPian

Just got done with the TD on the diesel elegance. Liked the width of the car, the steering felt good and the uncluttered instrument cluster was also nice to look at. The ride quality was average while the guys have done a pretty good job keeping the cabin insulated from engine noise. The best part of the car was the engine and gearbox. Very responsive and linear. The worst I would have to say is its rear end. Can easily pass of as a rapid to the untrained eye! I am still confused between this (or the 1.8tsi) and the 320d. Can't decide what's the right thing to do. Would be delighted if anyone can help me decide!
Old 6th October 2013, 16:40   #133
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amidoc View Post
Ambition AT- 21.38 L Elegance- AT-23.76 L
That is pricey! The ex-showroom prices looked so much better.
Exactly a year ago the Jetta Highline DSG costed 23lakhs on-road Mumbai, not sure what it costs now! I believe the Elantra is the segment leader in the 15-20 lakhs price bracket, i do not think it will be affected that much with the launch of the Octavia!
Old 6th October 2013, 17:39   #134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
That is pricey! The ex-showroom prices looked so much better.
Exactly a year ago the Jetta Highline DSG costed 23lakhs on-road Mumbai, not sure what it costs now! I believe the Elantra is the segment leader in the 15-20 lakhs price bracket, i do not think it will be affected that much with the launch of the Octavia!
In Bangalore, VW is offering Jetta DSG for 23 lakhs on road. Please refer http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post3258004
Old 6th October 2013, 18:27   #135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulfi hansi View Post
Cruze does make a formidable option for a powerful diesel, any reason why not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABbaby View Post
I am still confused between this (or the 1.8tsi) and the 320d. Can't decide what's the right thing to do. Would be delighted if anyone can help me decide!
Sit in the back seat of the respective vehicles.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks