Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 13th November 2013, 22:47   #406
Senior - BHPian

re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

So i spent the last month asking my friends (the ones who are former Skoda owners) if i should buy the Octavia and 7 out of10 said 'no way' 'stay away'... I spent 3 Lakhs.. I spent 4 Lakhs !!
I am really convinced that the car is awesome but these negative referrals are really making me think twice. It is possible that Skoda has turned a leaf and they are more reliable now, but should i be the guinea pig?

What i find very hard to understand is that VW and Audi dont have that many complainants and they use the same engines, gearbox, parts etc ! How is it possible that Skoda's fail and the other 2 dont as much.

Also can a comprehensive Skoda Shield help me discount all the horror stories of my friends? As in if my car does fail, i do have a cover and i wont have to shell out big bucks. Im ready to risk failure if i dont have to pay for anything.
Old 14th November 2013, 11:47   #407
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik_kapur View Post
So i spent the last month asking my friends (the ones who are former Skoda owners) if i should buy the Octavia and 7 out of10 said 'no way' 'stay away'... I spent 3 Lakhs.. I spent 4 Lakhs !!
I am really convinced that the car is awesome but these negative referrals are really making me think twice. It is possible that Skoda has turned a leaf and they are more reliable now, but should i be the guinea pig?

What i find very hard to understand is that VW and Audi dont have that many complainants and they use the same engines, gearbox, parts etc ! How is it possible that Skoda's fail and the other 2 dont as much.

Also can a comprehensive Skoda Shield help me discount all the horror stories of my friends? As in if my car does fail, i do have a cover and i wont have to shell out big bucks. Im ready to risk failure if i dont have to pay for anything.
Skoda is trying everything to change its image by bringing in more customer oriented programs and options that would rope in new car buyers. However, before taking in the plunge for the new Octativa, you should be mentally prepared for the worse. It's like this - Your friends have asked you to "stay away" and you knowingly take the risk which means you're ready to face the consequences, be it for the better or worse.

There is no certainty with any brand. Everyone has their own share of problems - be it an Audi, VW or any other car manufacturer for that matter. But, as widely known, there are good and bad reviews of Skoda cars and the level of ASS that is being provided. The Octavia is a fantastic car, but investing ~20L in a Skoda must be made with a very clear mindset and no ambiguities.

Last edited by 9thsphinx : 14th November 2013 at 11:53.
Old 14th November 2013, 16:23   #408

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticmonkey View Post
Hi, I am in a quandary and hoping for some help from the forum. I need to chose between the Octavia Petrol and Jetta Diesel (facelift). While the Octavia has the sun roof and memory seats to go along with the stonker of an engine, the Jetta gives paddle shifts (which is important since I am currently driving a Honda City and use the paddle shifts 90% of the time). Given the aforesaid, which would be a better car to go in for? Type of fuel or the ~2l price difference is not a consideration here. Do help out a troubled soul.
This is a difficult one. I was gunning for the Octavia but too many horror stories about their A.S.S. coupled with the fact that VW is a stronger brand (in my opinion!) made me chose the Jetta. Of course, both are part of VAG but just felt better about choosing the latter. Will submit a more detailed write up once I take delivery (including a pre sales comparison for both dealerships).
Old 15th November 2013, 13:33   #409
Distinguished - BHPian

Skoda sells record number of cars in October in Europe - New Octavia exceeds expectations!

Quote:
Sales of the new Octavia compact has exceeded expectations. Skoda said. In western Europe, sales of the new Octavia increased by 50 percent in October and in Central Europe by 23 percent compared to the same month last year. The market launch for the new -generation Octavia in China is set for next year.
http://europe.autonews.com/article/2...#axzz2khPAdXFI
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2013, 22:32   #410
BHPian

Are bookings open for the 1.4 tsi ? Skoda gurgaon is only taking bookings for the diesel
Old 18th November 2013, 09:36   #411
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
The TSIs are notorious for drinking oil. In bumper to bumper traffic my car seems to need a litre of oil every 2.5-3k kms.
1 lit Oil every 3K ???...with the Synth Oil being so expensive, this must be taking the Laura TSI running costs sky high ! Thankfully my Octavia MK1 TPI is quite an Oil teetotalar.

So are the Polo TSI DSG & the Superb TSI also oil guzzlers ? And Adi what about your Octavia MK3 ?
Old 18th November 2013, 10:09   #412
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxpaul View Post
1 lit Oil every 3K ???...with the Synth Oil being so expensive, this must be taking the Laura TSI running costs sky high ! Thankfully my Octavia MK1 TPI is quite an Oil teetotalar.

So are the Polo TSI DSG & the Superb TSI also oil guzzlers ? And Adi what about your Octavia MK3 ?
It depends on the conditions the car is used in. Right now my car is used in moderate to high traffic in the day, which is why the oil consumption is high - or so I am told.

So if the car faces a lot of traffic then consumption goes up. I know a member here whose car is used in more traffic than mine, and he tops up oil every 1k kms.
Old 18th November 2013, 12:15   #413
Senior - BHPian

Even the older Skodas are notorious for oil drinking. A friend of mine who has the old Superb always keeps a big sized oil can in the boot. It proves indispensable on occasional long drives.
Old 18th November 2013, 12:39   #414
BHPian

Ok guys, just received a call from the showroom where I have booked 1.8tsi , news is Skoda is making 1.8tsi in Ambition trim too and the showroom has one already. With a 2L+ on-road price difference between Elegance (20.95/-) & Ambition (18.78/-) I am in a fix. Further, the car they have is Cappucino Beige, the color not to my taste. Any suggestions if I should go for ambition? Wifey wants me to stick to Elegance but since I am paying.... But all of you guys not going for 1.8tsi only because it comes in Elegance, this is good news. You get the engine & performance, while leaving out some avoidable features.
saurabh sharma is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th November 2013, 12:48   #415
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep108 View Post
Even the older Skodas are notorious for oil drinking. A friend of mine who has the old Superb always keeps a big sized oil can in the boot. It proves indispensable on occasional long drives.
Is this issue in diesel cars also or it is only in TSI? If it drinks so much oil won't the cat-con gets damaged?
Old 18th November 2013, 13:05   #416
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabh sharma View Post
Ok guys, just received a call from the showroom where I have booked 1.8tsi , news is Skoda is making 1.8tsi in Ambition trim too and the showroom has one already. With a 2L+ on-road price difference between Elegance (20.95/-) & Ambition (18.78/-) I am in a fix. Further, the car they have is Cappucino Beige, the color not to my taste. Any suggestions if I should go for ambition? Wifey wants me to stick to Elegance but since I am paying.... But all of you guys not going for 1.8tsi only because it comes in Elegance, this is good news. You get the engine & performance, while leaving out some avoidable features.
Is it an Auto in Ambition Trim>?
Old 18th November 2013, 13:39   #417
BHPian

Yes, 1.8 tsi ambition auto.
Old 18th November 2013, 15:15   #418

Hi

Need suggestions in deciding between Octavia 1.4 petrol Ambition Vs Cruze LTZ (Diesel).
While i know it is not a fair comparison between the two, these are the ones that i will be choosing from. Had initially wanted to go in for the Octavia, however considering the lack of clarity on the deliveries of the 1.4 + the continued cases of poor A.S.S. from Skoda, am more & more inclined towards Cruze.

Am looking for a self driven car, upto 15L (ex showroom), no preference of Petrol or Diesel. More importance to driving pleasure & ease of maintenance.

Want to pick up the car by Jan/Feb. Does it make sense to wait for the 1.4 Octavia or buy Cruxze (the discounts on cruze will be a bonus)

Thanks for the help.
Old 18th November 2013, 15:34   #419
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabh sharma View Post
Yes, 1.8 tsi ambition auto.
Hi Saurabh

Assuming that you have taken a complete look of the Ambition variant, please can you list out what is taken off from elegance to make up for the 2 lakh in price difference? Thanks!
Old 18th November 2013, 17:51   #420
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolveins View Post
Hi Saurabh Assuming that you have taken a complete look of the Ambition variant, please can you list out what is taken off from elegance to make up for the 2 lakh in price difference? Thanks!
is there even an official announcement by Skoda? About this new variant launch? I doubt the dealer is misinformed. If true, omitted list will include sunroof, bi-xenon headlamps, front sensors, lesser airbags, electric memory seats, storage boot nets, rear windscreen blind.

Most Viewed