Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 7th April 2014, 19:48   #931
Team-BHP Support

re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny310c View Post
The only problem with waiting this long is that some of the reliability and A.S.S problems that Skoda are notorious for start to play on your mind. I know buying a Skoda is a risk and its a risk that I have decided to take but all of this waiting makes you rethink your decision simply because there isn't much else to do. If I had got the car within the usual 3 - 4 weeks that it takes for most cars, I wouldn't have had much time to mull over things. I would have been preoccupied with all the excitement and anticipation of getting my hands on the car and before I knew it, I would be heading to the showroom to pick it up. Anyway, it is what it is. Will stay the course and wait it out. Just hope it's worth the wait.
Been there. Done that. Believe me, the 3 months wait for the Octavia were the longest three months for me. Just when you would have made up your mind and held to your resolution, there will be another Skoda horror story thread. In fact, when they told me the delivery could be delayed by another 2 months, I had absolutely no more energy to endure this! That could be an indirect reason why I cancelled and went with the Jetta.

Consider this as an exercise to test your mental endurance!! Whenever you feel your resolution is being challenged, just go through this thread from this post

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post3340571
graaja is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2014, 18:02   #932
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Been there. Done that. Believe me, the 3 months wait for the Octavia were the longest three months for me. Just when you would have made up your mind and held to your resolution, there will be another Skoda horror story thread. In fact, when they told me the delivery could be delayed by another 2 months, I had absolutely no more energy to endure this! That could be an indirect reason why I cancelled and went with the Jetta.

Consider this as an exercise to test your mental endurance!! Whenever you feel your resolution is being challenged, just go through this thread from this post

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post3340571
Thanks for sharing that link. Very encouraging I must say, with over 70% of people who took that poll having had a relatively trouble free experience so far. Thankfully, the horror stories seem to have died down, probably because not many people are actually getting their hands on the car . Anyway, have decided to wait it out, at least until the monsoon season which is a good 4 months away. If by then, my dealer still has no clue about when the car might be available, I might have to rethink.
sunny310c is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2014, 17:22   #933
BHPian

Experts please clarify. My new Octavia TDI most of the time idles at 750 RPM and sometimes at 1000 RPM. Initially I thought 1000 rpm idle is for cold start but later I observed that even after the engine is hot and reached its operating temperature (90c) sometimes it idle at 1000 (when waiting at a signal). Checked with AC on/off, but when AC is ON there is only a slight increase of 100, ie it will idle at around 850-900. So is this 1000 RPM idle a normal behavior or is it some issue? if it is normal behaviour then when does it decides to idle at 1000? Please help.
Old 12th April 2014, 17:57   #934
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by B747 View Post
Experts please clarify. My new Octavia TDI most of the time idles at 750 RPM and sometimes at 1000 RPM. Initially I thought 1000 rpm idle is for cold start but later I observed that even after the engine is hot and reached its operating temperature (90c) sometimes it idle at 1000 (when waiting at a signal). Checked with AC on/off, but when AC is ON there is only a slight increase of 100, ie it will idle at around 850-900. So is this 1000 RPM idle a normal behavior or is it some issue? if it is normal behaviour then when does it decides to idle at 1000? Please help.
VW 2.0 TDI normal idling RPM is between 750 - 1000. RPM varies depending on coolant temperature, cooling fan status and AC load.

Most likely, your car will not have any problem. If you want to have piece of mind..., please check the following:
  1. Coolant level - Visual check will do.
  2. Cooling fan - If it runs at times, no need to worry.
  3. AC refrigerant gas - If AC is efficient, no need to worry.

If things are fine, don't worry..
Old 12th April 2014, 18:01   #935
BHPian

My car does the same. I thought it was because the turbo hasn't slowed down but even after waiting for a minute or two it stays around 1k rpm.
Old 12th April 2014, 18:45   #936
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
VW 2.0 TDI normal idling RPM is between 750 - 1000.
Thanks Chethan, but if coolant temperature is one of the parameter then in morning it should do 1000 but it idles at 750, so I am confused . Is it the same for your Jetta?
Checked coolant and AC, not sure about the fan.

Last edited by B747 : 12th April 2014 at 18:46.
Old 13th April 2014, 00:10   #937
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
but if coolant temperature is one of the parameter then in morning it should do 1000 but it idles at 750, so I am confused .
Early morning if the car interior is cool, there won't be much load on the AC. Therefore, engine idles at a lower RPM.

If you start the car on a hot day, that too when the interior is hot / stuffy, engine will idle at a higher RPM.

Quote:
Is it the same for your Jetta?
Yes & I too was concerned about it. I enquired with an engineer at VW Palace Ground Malleshwaram service station. He gave me this explanation. Now it looks logical.

I am about to have the first oil change service for my Jetta by this month end. During the service, AC filter / air filter will all be changed. I will update again after that.

From your side, please let me know if you happen to get the same confirmed at Skoda service centre..
Old 13th April 2014, 07:31   #938
BHPian

Quote:
Early morning if the car interior is cool, there won't be much load on the AC. Therefore, engine idles at a lower RPM.From your side, please let me know if you happen to get the same confirmed at Skoda service centre..
Thanks Chethan, now it looks logical. Sure I will check with Skoda guys also.
Old 13th April 2014, 22:16   #939
Senior - BHPian

Extended Warranty for Octavia now available (14xxx for Elegance 1.8 TSi A/T). Makes it 4 years/80000km whichever comes first.

Valid only if insurance taken from dealer.

Last edited by abhinav.gupta88 : 13th April 2014 at 22:26.
abhinav.gupta88 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th April 2014, 06:46   #940
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.gupta88 View Post
Extended Warranty for Octavia now available (14xxx for Elegance 1.8 TSi A/T). Makes it 4 years/80000km whichever comes first.

Wow, 14xxx is quite cheap compared to 46xxx for Jetta! Have you purchased this already?
Old 14th April 2014, 09:11   #941
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Any idea about the difference in the cost of Insurance between the Dealer's quotation and Direct quotation? Also, are other things like road side assistance and 0% depreciation / bumper to bumper package...etc also mandatory?

Will be interesting to calculate the effective amount after all riders..

In a way, it is better to close our eyes and avail all options from the dealer and play safe with the car for 4 years. That way, even BMW's BSI offer is a total package I think?
Old 14th April 2014, 09:23   #942
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Wow, 14xxx is quite cheap compared to 46xxx for Jetta! Have you purchased this already?
Does the 46xxx include insurance as well or is just the extended warranty.
It is very cheap if the 46xxx is only for extended warranty.
The batteries are not covered in the extended warranty, rest all things remain same as per original warranty.

Quote:
Any idea about the difference in the cost of Insurance between the Dealer's quotation and Direct quotation? Also, are other things like road side assistance and 0% depreciation / bumper to bumper package...etc also mandatory?

Will be interesting to calculate the effective amount after all riders..

In a way, it is better to close our eyes and avail all options from the dealer and play safe with the car for 4 years. That way, even BMW's BSI offer is a total package I think?
If you haggle well, the dealer matches the quotation you get from outside. Even if it is a grand or two plus, it is advisable to take the insurance from the dealer as it ensures you the option to avail the extended warranty.

I was quoted 59125 by the dealer and 54125 by my agent.
The dealer matched the price of 54125

------

Which brings us to this, why do I have such figures and such information?

Yours truly has taken delivery of the beast.
What model, what variant, what colour etc etc etc to be revealed only with the thread which is currently in the assembly line and will be out in a couple of days. (lets play the guessing game till then)

Can just reveal one thing as of now, my car was booked in Feb and was alloted to me in March however i took delivery yesterday only ( some personal reasons)

-----
Old 14th April 2014, 09:49   #943
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Does the 46xxx include insurance as well or is just the extended warranty.

The batteries are not covered in the extended warranty, rest all things remain same as per original warranty.
The 46K is only for the extended warranty. This does not include insurance. I paid about 80K for the "Drive Assure Elite" insurance which includes zero dep and also the alloys and other damages like rat chew etc. OT, I will be transferring the NCB that I have for my Getz to Jetta, for which I have been told I can expect a sizeable refund.

Quote:
It is very cheap if the 46xxx is only for extended warranty.
Do you mean 46K for only the extended warranty is cheap, against the 14K for the Octavia?

Quote:
Yours truly has taken delivery of the beast.

Can just reveal one thing as of now, my car was booked in Feb and was alloted to me in March however i took delivery yesterday only ( some personal reasons)
That is fantastic! Congratulations on taking delivery of the most elusive beast. Wishing you thousands and thousands of safe and trouble free miles

Looking forward to the ownership thread!

BTW, Booking in February and getting allocation in March is a miracle for an Octavia, that too a TSi Elegance!
Old 14th April 2014, 09:55   #944
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The 46K is only for the extended warranty. This does not include insurance. I paid about 80K for the "Drive Assure Elite" insurance which includes zero dep and also the alloys and other damages like rat chew etc. OT, I will be transferring the NCB that I have for my Getz to Jetta, for which I have been told I can expect a sizeable refund.

Do you mean 46K for only the extended warranty is cheap, against the 14K for the Octavia?

That is fantastic! Congratulations on taking delivery of the most elusive beast. Wishing you thousands and thousands of safe and trouble free miles

Looking forward to the ownership thread!

BTW, Booking in February and getting allocation in March is a miracle for an Octavia, that too a TSi Elegance!

The Drive Assure Elite package is indeed a good one to avail, sadly Skoda doesnt offer

I meant the one on the Skoda is cheap if it is for 46xxx on the Jetta ( I dont understand this huge difference, can diesel vs petrol be the reason?)

Lets just say I was very lucky and had a good SA looking after my booking.
abhinav.gupta88 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2014, 10:38   #945
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Are you absolutely positive about the amount? That's even cheaper than the Vento TSi's extended warranty!

Quote:
If you haggle well, the dealer matches the quotation you get from outside.
This was my experience as well. They matched the quotes I got them from outside, they will get that done if you haggle well.

Quote:
Yours truly has taken delivery of the beast. What model, what variant, what colour etc etc etc to be revealed only in a couple of days.
Congrats Abhinav! Don't keep us waiting too long then. And don't forget to take many pictures, there are not too many picture loaded Octavia reviews from users!

As for me, my guess is you took a 1.8 TSi Elegance

Most Viewed