Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 29th April 2014, 19:12   #991
BHPian

re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Hi guys, anyone here has noticed a strange 'whirring' kind of noise when turning the steering wheel? This noise being prominent only when the car is stationery ? And no, this is not from tyres squealing on tarmac, this is coming specifically from the steering assembly/column. Noise coming for the past 7-10days.
Sent my 1.8tsi today for 7500km check up, I too am facing the same niggles of driver side rear view mirror emanating noise while opening & some slight noise from the sun roof. The SA from Faherenheit moti nagar has delayed delivery of the vehicle by a day, and I quote here has said 'We have made a recording of the sound and sent it to Skoda, we are not allowed to do any unscheduled job on Octavia without referring it to the company'.

Keeping my fingers crossed, hope Skoda proves its past horrow stories wrong & nothing much comes out of this :(
Plz be on the look out for similar issue in your own darlings.
Old 30th April 2014, 18:47   #992
BHPian

Ok now since nobody has responded with an affirmative, it seems this is a problem limited to my own vehicle.
Got a reply from the service adviser, who has been quite courteous & positive so far. The problem, now wait a minute, is that the 'front suspension mounting & bearings' have gone bust. They don't have the replacement in stock & should be with them in 10 days or so as assured verbally to me.
The question now is that should this issue happen in a vehicle driven less than 10,000km ? Rather should this even occur in a vehicle driven less than 50-60000km ? Mind you, this car is 100% self driven by me and has NEVER been subject to rough treatment (for obvious reasons). They have assured me that I can run the vehicle as normal till parts replacement arrive.
Full points to service center on being helpful & straight forward, I will be taking back the vehicle tomorrow without the job being done. Lets see by when do the relevant parts arrive & what is the position after the job is done.
Old 30th April 2014, 19:15   #993
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabh sharma View Post
Hi guys, anyone here has noticed a strange 'whirring' kind of noise when turning the steering wheel? This noise being prominent only when the car is stationery ? And no, this is not from tyres squealing on tarmac, this is coming specifically from the steering assembly/column. Noise coming for the past 7-10days.
Sent my 1.8tsi today for 7500km check up, I too am facing the same niggles of driver side rear view mirror emanating noise while opening & some slight noise from the sun roof. The SA from Faherenheit moti nagar has delayed delivery of the vehicle by a day, and I quote here has said 'We have made a recording of the sound and sent it to Skoda, we are not allowed to do any unscheduled job on Octavia without referring it to the company'.

Keeping my fingers crossed, hope Skoda proves its past horrow stories wrong & nothing much comes out of this :(
I am not sure about Octavia but i own a VW Vento and there was a noise in the steering when i turn it to the right side. Also on bad roads i can feel and hear the steering wheel noise. After checking with the SA the steering rack was changed under warrenty and the noise reduced but not 100%. I also heard similar issue with other vento's. I am planning to get this checked again during my 2nd service. I strongly doubt that there is a problem with the steering column.
Old 30th April 2014, 21:51   #994
BHPian

Checked with the dealer a week back and learnt that they haven't got a single petrol elegance from Skoda yet. This means nobody in Andhra Pradesh has got the petrol elegance yet as there is only one Skoda dealer in the whole state. Also learnt that in the last month, the dealer received around 12 cars, of which 3 were diesel elegances. So that's 12 cars to the whole state last month. That said, the dealer is still insisting that I would get my car in 4 months (it's been six weeks since I booked it).

The wait continues.
Old 2nd May 2014, 11:46   #995
BHPian

Quote:

Just saw your message. I get that sound just as I start for the day but the sound is not there while driving. A little surprising that it would be a suspension problem. I simply thought it was the power steering unit starting up in the morning.
Old 2nd May 2014, 12:01   #996
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticmonkey View Post
Just saw your message. I get that sound just as I start for the day but the sound is not there while driving. A little surprising that it would be a suspension problem. I simply thought it was the power steering unit starting up in the morning.
The noise which you hear when you start the car in the morning is perhaps something to do with the turbo building up pressure (my layman assumption). You would also note a hydraulic pump like noise when you turn off your car similar to a hydraulic valve releasing pressure in a pump action.

The noise which is coming from my car though is emanating anytime of the day & only when I turn the steering wheel. The service adviser said it is something related to dust, but I simply don't buy it, this is India, we just can't find a place minus dust here. Anyhow, I have the car back with me now, waiting for spared to arrive. Will keep everyone here posted with pictures of the replaced parts.
Old 3rd May 2014, 17:41   #997
BHPian

Quote:
The noise which you hear when you start the car in the morning is perhaps something to do with the turbo building up pressure (my layman assumption). You would also note a hydraulic pump like noise when you turn off your car similar to a hydraulic valve releasing pressure in a pump action.

The noise which is coming from my car though is emanating anytime of the day & only when I turn the steering wheel. The service adviser said it is something related to dust, but I simply don't buy it, this is India, we just can't find a place minus dust here. Anyhow, I have the car back with me now, waiting for spared to arrive. Will keep everyone here posted with pictures of the replaced parts.
Just taking a guess here.
I think it is just the Power steering motor thats making the noise. Remember the electric PS does not consume power when the car is not being steered. At stand still you can probably hear it prominently because of the lack of other noise.
Old 4th May 2014, 14:31   #998
BHPian

I faced a similar situation in my A6 recently. The noise is from the power steering motor and is fixed simply by adjusting the reach of the steering wheel a couple of mm away from the rear end or the rake one step from either extreme. I do not know the cause of the noise nor have I got it checked at the service station.
Old 6th May 2014, 21:02   #999
BHPian

Guys,
Posted a review of my Skoda Octavia. Link is here http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=150700
B747 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th May 2014, 22:24   #1000
BHPian

And here's the review of my Octavia Ambition TDI DSG :
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...n-tdi-dsg.html
joethomasv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2014, 14:19   #1001
BHPian

the thread cannot be viewed, others please confirm if you are able to view the thread
Old 7th May 2014, 14:25   #1002
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhil_pon View Post
the thread cannot be viewed, others please confirm if you are able to view the thread
No. I am not able to view either. Most probably, it is still in the assembly section.
Old 7th May 2014, 19:41   #1003
Senior - BHPian

It was in the ownership forum for a while. Probably moved to the assembly line for some modification.
Old 7th May 2014, 20:20   #1004
BHPian

Interesting alloys on the Octavia on Pete's facebook page:
Octavia III - The start of the next generation
joethomasv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2014, 06:48   #1005
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhil_pon View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
No. I am not able to view either. Most probably, it is still in the assembly section.
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.gupta88 View Post
It was in the ownership forum for a while. Probably moved to the assembly line for some modification.
It was moved to assembly line to add more details, now it is active, kindly check. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...-speed-mt.html

Last edited by B747 : 13th May 2014 at 06:50.

Most Viewed