Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 9th October 2014, 19:15   #1231
BHPian

re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaypjayaraj View Post
I thought Engine Oil temp. was shown only in L&K models. It would be missing in TDI elegance model. However it makes sense to have the engine oil temp. displayed in TSI elegance as petrol motors run hotter than diesel motors in general.
I think it is available on the Ambition and Elegance versions of Octavia. The review pics show the oil temperature. It is just not there in mine.
Old 10th October 2014, 01:24   #1232
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joethomasv View Post
I don't have it on my TDI Ambition.
Mine doesn't have it either. Does your suspension make this drumming noise I described earlier ?
Old 10th October 2014, 08:38   #1233
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by merve_extreme View Post
Mine doesn't have it either. Does your suspension make this drumming noise I described earlier ?
Yes the 'drumming' noise is there in my car too. It reduces considerably when the car is loaded.
joethomasv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2014, 10:53   #1234
AB1

The drumming noise is due to the large boot that amplifies sound,added to the fact that is it a hatch.and yes its considerably less when the boot is loaded.Not a product of the torsion beam rear suspension as many seem to think.
Old 11th October 2014, 13:00   #1235
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB1 View Post
The drumming noise is due to the large boot that amplifies sound,added to the fact that is it a hatch.and yes its considerably less when the boot is loaded.Not a product of the torsion beam rear suspension as many seem to think.
In that case, 1.8Tsi with Multi-Link rear suspension should also have the same problem..?

Suspension design / setup / damping is the reason. Large boot is definitely adding to the problem, with the booming effect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joethomasv View Post
Yes the 'drumming' noise is there in my car too. It reduces considerably when the car is loaded.
Octavia Tdi is a good handler with a flat highway ride. Is the noise too intrusive?
Old 11th October 2014, 14:33   #1236
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
Octavia Tdi is a good handler with a flat highway ride. Is the noise too intrusive?
If you are sensitive to noises, it will annoy you, like it annoys me. But If there is music playing it's barely audible, unless you are trying really hard to find it. The noise reduces quite a bit at higher speeds.

Last edited by merve_extreme : 11th October 2014 at 14:34.
merve_extreme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2014, 13:14   #1237
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem View Post
Just my 2 cents. Please do not "buy" a 20 lakh plus rupees car without a test drive. Make/form your own opinions. Review no matter how good or bad can never be as good as your own feeling. You only understand the reviews better once you have driven the car and then agree/disagree to the conclusions.

I too was inclined towards 1.8 TSi, I thought on paper it was the car to have. 7 speed DSG, TSI engine churning 180 horses (claimed**) and multi-link suspension. Upon driving the car, like stated, I was underwhelmed. On the contrary when I drove the Polo TSi, much less powerful engine, I was "over" whelmed. So its all about perspective. If you are buying mainly caz of TSI hype, power, and driving pleasure. I suggest STOP! take a look, have a test drive of diesel and petrol and then decide.

At a price so close to Audi Q3, BMW X1, how can the dealer not offer you a test drive when you are booking a car. If they can't offer you test drive now, how will they offer you spares later?

** Claimed 180 horses as I am not sure how many horses car is making with Indian fuel.

I can bet most of those going ga ga over 1.8 TSI even in our esteemed forum, haven't test driven the car. They are just going by the online reviews and the specs on PAPER, but specs, seldom tell the story.
I agree that buying a 20+ lakh car without a test drive is an absolute No no. I own the laura 1.8 TSI for 3 years now and I can tell you it is an absolute gem of an engine.

The power , FE and refined nature of the engine are unmatched IMHO.

I had my ECU re mapped and on the dyno showed me 194 BHP with regular fuel (not 97 octane). So this engine is definitely capable of the power output with our fuel quality also.
Old 16th October 2014, 14:14   #1238
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmody View Post
I agree that buying a 20+ lakh car without a test drive is an absolute No no. I own the laura 1.8 TSI for 3 years now and I can tell you it is an absolute gem of an engine.

The power , FE and refined nature of the engine are unmatched IMHO.

I had my ECU re mapped and on the dyno showed me 194 BHP with regular fuel (not 97 octane). So this engine is definitely capable of the power output with our fuel quality also.
I don't disagree however I found the torquey diesel to be more fun. This is just my opinion based on drive where I couldn't stretch the legs of the cat completely. On paper too both cars do 100 at around 9 seconds.
Old 17th October 2014, 11:54   #1239
BHPian

Hey all!
My Octavia TDI DSG has clocked 7k kms in the last three months of ownership and is due for its first check-up. Being my first Skoda and after hearing all the horror A.S.S stories, I would like to seek advice from fellow skoda owners from Delhi regarding the most reliable and trustworthy Skoda service center in Delhi. Due to tight schedule, I would be sending my driver with the car, who is completely unaware of everything in the car except the driving part. Please help guys! Also any other tips and suggestions are welcome.
Regards,
Shreyak
Old 17th October 2014, 23:17   #1240
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreyak_ss View Post
Hey all!
My Octavia TDI DSG has clocked 7k kms in the last three months of ownership and is due for its first check-up. Due to tight schedule, I would be sending my driver with the car, who is completely unaware of everything in the car except the driving part.
Here is what I feel. If you love your car very much, dont send it for free checkup. Its basically a hogwash since Indian customer are used to free service a la Maruti & Hyundai. They would basically check oil level, give a car wash with some rug causing swirls and nothing else until you complain about a problem. You can check oil level yourself.

Sending it for 1st service after clocking 15000 kms would be much more beneficial.

Word of advice, I hope you are having Extended Warranty. I too own a VW Vento 1.6 TDi and love it to the hilt.
Old 7th November 2014, 14:26   #1241
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreyak_ss View Post
Being my first Skoda and after hearing all the horror A.S.S stories, I would like to seek advice from fellow skoda owners from Delhi regarding the most reliable and trustworthy Skoda service center in Delhi.
Being a first time owner myself, I think all the horror stories are true. The inspection is as mentioned nothing too significant, just helps to determine whether the car requires any work. No actual work will be carried out unless you tell them so.
If you are sending it for service, then definitely have your driver inform you about the service they will be doing. When I sent mine for the 1st service, they charged me for UV coating of the nuts and bolts (since it would help to maintain warranty as per Skoda). My driver was ignorant, so he signed off on it.
Fahrenheit Skoda, Motinagar is troublesome. I've had 3-4 issues and they are not the people you want on your side when trouble comes. My right side DRL got fogged up somehow and they didn't have a clue how to repair it. THey held the car captive for 3 days since they couldn't contact the head office and they didn't have the spare for it. The spare duly arrived a week later only for them to hold my car for another 3 days to get it repaired. For my first service, they didn't have a filter that was supposed to be replaced and I didn't hear from them for 15 days for it after the day of service.
Old 9th November 2014, 10:43   #1242
BHPian

Folks,

I see in the Skoda India website that all the Octavia trims come with LED tail lights (from the features page). However, I had read elsewhere earlier that Skoda was not bringing the LED tail light cluster for the India edition for now and may be showing up in the RS trim later. Have they made a change to the car recently? or was this feature item always there on their list?

Can anyone who has acquired an Octavia recently please confirm on their car and if possible post some photos of the tail lights?

Thanks.
Old 9th November 2014, 22:00   #1243
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haren View Post
Folks,

I see in the Skoda India website that all the Octavia trims come with LED tail lights (from the features page). However, I had read elsewhere earlier that Skoda was not bringing the LED tail light cluster for the India edition for now and may be showing up in the RS trim later. Have they made a change to the car recently? or was this feature item always there on their list?

Can anyone who has acquired an Octavia recently please confirm on their car and if possible post some photos of the tail lights?

Thanks.
Yes it now comes with LED tail lights. It surely looks fabulous. I dont have a pic but I have seen it on a brand new octy. It makes the car even more desirable now.
Akshay89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2014, 22:34   #1244
BHPian

Hey guys how are you all doing and how are your OCTAVIAS doing. lets post some sexy shots of our octavias, its been a long time since we have seen some eye-candies on this thread.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-20140910_215243.jpg  

Old 17th November 2014, 15:43   #1245
Mtv
BHPian

The "Check Oil Level" warning light has turned on in the MID at only 5k km on my 1.8 TSI. I refuse to take it to the service center for a top up as I'd rather do this myself. Does anybody here know which particular engine oil goes in?
Will topping the oil myself void the warranty?

Thanks in advance.

Most Viewed