Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 13th January 2015, 17:29   #1336
BHPian

re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rutvij View Post
Friends, finally I have decided to go with the decision of my heart and booked Skoda Octavia Amibtion DSG. Paid the booking about on this Monday and I am told waiting period of 4 - 6 months. :(

I thank Adi, B747, Abhinav and joethomasv for their wonderful ownership threads which helped me in making up my mind for Octavia.

Friends, after going through above mentioned threads I have following concerns:

Noise from ORVMs and other rattles
Is the noise problem from ORVMs sorted out newer cars or does it still persists. What about rattles from front side as mentioned by Adi.

Skoda ASS:
I did not have smooth and satisfying experience dealing with Skoda Sales representatives. I am seriously worried about after sales service offered by dealership in Ahmedabad. I have been promised a meeting with Workshop Manager at the time of delivery to remove my apprehensions and assure me trouble free ownership. I don't how much this is going to help.

Further whosoever I talk to about booking of Skoda Octavia have some horror stories to tell ranging from frequent visits to service stations to sort out niggles in the car, bad service experience and cars staying in garages for months due to non availability of parts. I sincerely hope that they are improving in this aspect.

Edit: Thanks Haren for the update. LED really looks cool.
Changed the colour of the car and after a lot of deliberations changed the variant too. I have opted for white Elegance AT now. However no change in waiting period has been indicated to me. May be they themselves are not sure when is it going to arrive.

Earlier I had read initial pages of this thread and various ownership threads of Octavias. However I have been reading this thread in detail since two days now and happy to read contributions from fellow Team BHPians on various issues related to the car. Team BHP really rocks.

I have noticed that there were complains about noise coming from the ORVMs and Sun Roof. Have the owners found permanent solution to this. Can anyone share their experience in newer cars.
Old 15th January 2015, 21:29   #1337
BHPian

Any update on extended warranty ? This is absolutely unacceptable from Skoda as it has been almost 1.5yrs now. How about all of us (Octavia owners) here collectively writing to Skoda about this.

Last edited by B747 : 15th January 2015 at 21:44.
Old 16th January 2015, 01:36   #1338
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by B747 View Post
Any update on extended warranty ? This is absolutely unacceptable from Skoda as it has been almost 1.5yrs now. How about all of us (Octavia owners) here collectively writing to Skoda about this.

Count me in on whatever you plan to do. We have about 9 months left.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2015, 13:06   #1339
BHPian

Finally got a call that the car will be delivered shortly.
However, there is an option to get a TDI or a TSI.
My usage is very low and I know a TDI doesn't make much sense. I also know the fun factor of a TSI. But I want lower running costs and don't mind the higher capital cost.

Question is will a TDI result in lower running cost? What will the effective cost per km be for a TDI vs a TSI?
Also, I am getting a 2015 model with 2014 price, which is almost a lakh less.
Old 16th January 2015, 13:25   #1340
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by patron View Post
My usage is very low and I know a TDI doesn't make much sense. I also know the fun factor of a TSI. But I want lower running costs and don't mind the higher capital cost.

Question is will a TDI result in lower running cost? What will the effective cost per km be for a TDI vs a TSI?

In my opinion TSI works better for you since you say that your running is low. The gap between petrol and diesel prices is reducing day be day. The servicing cost will always be less in the TSI compared to TDI. Mainly because TDI has more parts which wear and tear as compared to the TSI. Since I had a Laura TDI and now an Octavia TSI, I can vouch for the fact that maintenance cost is definitely lesser in the TSI.

Now performance wise, TSI is obviously more fun to drive and much more drive able in the city as well because of low end torque. TDI on the other hand is a great highway cruiser and nothing can match the pulling power of the TDI and the range it offers on long highway runs. It can easily go 1100-1200 kms on a full tank where as TSI will do about 800-900 kms on a full tank of petrol.

Finally boils down to capital cost, I believe there is at least Rs. 85-90k difference between TSI and TDI. My suggestion would be to go for the TSI for the primary factor that your running is low. Will the car be used extensively in stop go traffic with long traffic jams? Then the TDI is suggested as the load on gearbox will be easier on the TDI compared to TSI.
Old 16th January 2015, 13:28   #1341
BHPian

Quote:

Congratulations on the impending acquisition! I got my TSI couple of weeks back. So it's too early to comment on running costs. But initial impressions are far exceeding my expectations in terms of mileage and driving comfort.

I thought that, Octavia being a CKD assembly, there is an approx 3 month time between manufacture and delivery. I got mine in December and it was an October piece. You should be able to confirm this by obtaining your VIN number and decoding it (details are on this thread, believe).
Old 16th January 2015, 13:42   #1342
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
Will the car be used extensively in stop go traffic with long traffic jams? Then the TDI is suggested as the load on gearbox will be easier on the TDI compared to TSI.
Thanks Adi. My work place is 3kms from home and mostly signal free drive with little traffic. It will be a total of no more than 300 kms per month.

What's the mileage on your TSI in city driving?

Last edited by patron : 16th January 2015 at 13:45.
Old 16th January 2015, 16:52   #1343
BHPian

Hi Folks. Ive spoken to a few BHPians about the 1.8 and am all set to place my order. I have just one question and would like to know if anyone can shed light on this article I found. Even though its old, I just want to be doubly sure that the new octy coming to india will be trouble free. People who know my past will see that I had a harrowing time with a 07 octavia diesel during the time I had it. But i plainly beleive the car is awesome and the A.S.S are the ones that messed it up. Continental auto, the one that ruined my car is closed. Anyways, coming to the article and my doubt. PLease help.

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/bizchin...t_16317719.htm

I also spoke to the dealership and they are launching an extended warranty very soon for the Octy form manufacturer end.

Last edited by aah78 : 16th January 2015 at 19:55. Reason: Posts merged.
Old 16th January 2015, 19:43   #1344
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapiljolly79 View Post
Anyways, coming to the article and my doubt. PLease help.

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/bizchin...t_16317719.htm
As quoted from the article, "It is the first recall announcement for the DSG-equipped cars.". Its basically for replacing the gearbox oil from synthetic to mineral one which helps in preventing mechatronics unit from frying out in hot & dusty conditions prevalent in Asian countries.

Rest assured, VW/Skoda has ironed out all the issues related to it. Also the same gearbox now comes in VW Polo GT TSi and Vento TDi DSG. They would have definitely done their homework before launching it in cars which sell in higher numbers.
Old 16th January 2015, 22:13   #1345
BHPian

Hey everyone!

I've been experiencing a slight problem with my TPMS. Every 5-7 days the TPMS acts up showing a tyre pressure problem in the front left tyre. It's always the same tyre and is happening very regularly now. The car's done about 23k and is about 9 months in. Anybody know what the problem might be?

Thanks
Old 17th January 2015, 07:27   #1346
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
Count me in on whatever you plan to do. We have about 9 months left.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapiljolly79 View Post
I also spoke to the dealership and they are launching an extended warranty very soon for the Octy form manufacturer end.
Shall we wait or act now? It has been almost 1.5 yrs now and as Adi pointed out we have only 9 more months (people who purchased in the beginning). Guys what should be our course of action ?

Quote:
Congratulations buddy. As your usage is low blindly go for TSI. Overall cost of ownership will be low in case of a TDI only when the usage is high.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajindal View Post
Hey everyone!
I've been experiencing a slight problem with my TPMS. Every 5-7 days the TPMS acts up showing a tyre pressure problem in the front left tyre. It's always the same tyre and is happening very regularly now. The car's done about 23k and is about 9 months in. Anybody know what the problem might be?
Thanks
Hope you checked the tyre pressure when it showed warning. If pressure is correct and still warning is coming up take it to service center soon because it could be a faulty wheel speed sensor (indirect TPMS works based on wheel speed).

Last edited by B747 : 17th January 2015 at 07:35.
B747 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2015, 20:34   #1347
BHPian

Skoda Giriraj: WHY?

So i have pretty much zeroed on the Octavia 1.8tsi. I booked in December on the pretext that i get a 2015 manufactured car. The booking experience has been nothing short of shoddy and unprofessional. Skoda Giriraj simply doesn't fail to disappoint. No one communicates, no one updates and no one really bothers. Should a customer spending about 22lacks accept such sort of unconcerned attitude?

Although i have not seen any official press release from Skoda India indicating the price rise (it will be very helpful if anyone can point it out to me), i was still willing to go ahead and pay the revised amount for a 2015 manufactured car.

Heres my VIN no. for the allotted car:
TMBBDMNEXEA007905

6th character represents the MONTH of Manufacture:M- DECEMBER
10th character represents the YEAR of Manufacture: E-2014
Sir your car is 100% 2015!!

Yet another shocker? I request if anyone can provide me email addresses besides the usual customer care for Skoda. I would like to get some clarificaton on this issue.
Old 18th January 2015, 14:31   #1348
BHPian

For long time I was planning to change trunk, glove box, rear view mirror puddle light & number plate lights to LED. Received the package from Aliexpress yesterday, here is the link http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2x-T1...219990174.html Purposely selected single sided non-polar LEDs, it is mentioned as CANBUS error free but it did throw up error.

It is very easy to change glove box, trunk & number plate lights, just pull it down using a flat screw driver from its edges. Glove box & trunk bulbs are not connected to CANBUS and so no error messages, but number plate bulbs did throw up error message. VCDS helped here, just followed what is mentioned in briskoda and no more error messages, here is the link http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic...ear-plate-led/

Let pics do the talking now, these LEDs do have a slight blue tint but not as severe as in pics, my mobile camera added some more blue tint.
Glove box with normal bulb
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-20150116_181720.jpg

Glove box with LED
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-20150116_181858.jpg

Trunk with normal bulb
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-20150116_180341.jpg

Trunk with LED
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-20150116_181454.jpg

Number plate with normal bulbs
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-20150116_212705.jpg

Number plate with LEDs
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-20150116_213325.jpg

Changing mirror puddle lights are not as easy as others but can be definitively done, only difficult part is pulling the mirror out. I partially followed the instructions here http://www.myturbodiesel.com/wiki/tu...irror-removal/

Step 1 :-Pull the mirror out gently as instructed in the above link.
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-img_20150118_112725.jpg

Step 2 :- Remove the front cover by removing two screws and gently pulling out two clips. Forgot to take a clip for this.

Step 3 :- Pull the bulb out from the side, actually no need to remove the motor for this but if motor is removed it will give more easy access. To remove the motor just unscrew 3 screws on it and it comes out very easily. Below pic is with motor removed.
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-img_20150118_115242.jpg

Puddle lights with normal light
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-img_20150118_112358.jpg

Puddle lights with LED
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-img_20150118_122816.jpg

Last edited by B747 : 18th January 2015 at 14:38.
B747 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 19th January 2015, 16:50   #1349
BHPian

I have opted for Elegance Version of Octavia. The dealership here does not test drive vehicle of this trim level. However I drove a Superb for the feel of the DSG and Engine combo. On my Subsequent visit I saw a car with Elegance trim which had come for servicing.

My question is related to the sun roof. I noticed that unlike the Superb, the internal sun roof cover is a transparent one in Octavia. I am wondering how far does it help in blocking the sun rays particularly in the cities like Ahmedabad where mercury soars in Summers. I request existing users to share their experiences on this aspect.
Old 19th January 2015, 19:34   #1350
BHPian

Hi folks,

Any advice on good quality cabin and trunk mats?

I did not pick up the ones that the dealer had during delivery. Wanted to get some opinion here before I go back and buy them from the dealer.

Thanks.

Most Viewed