Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 8th March 2015, 01:56   #1471
Team-BHP Support

re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artem View Post
Suhaas why would you consider it a downgrade? Are you talking w.r.t comfort whilst driving the car? Or anything else in particular? I understand the warranty on the suspension won't stand good once I have custom alloys installed, that is not a concern for me.

Do you know of any dealer in Pune/ Mumbai who is an authorized dealer of Oz Rims? Price tags on the Rims isn't an issue per se..
It would be a downgrade if you were to get HRS wheels, that's for sure! The stock wheels are far superior to the Taiwanese wheels. Not much else.

You could try Borbet wheels. They seem to be the popular choice for VAG cars. Get in touch with Pete's, they should be able to hook you up. I'm sure they'll be able to get a few other quality brands as well. I've seen OZ wheels on a few of their project cars.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 8th March 2015 at 01:57.
suhaas307 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th March 2015, 23:50   #1472
BHPian

So, thanks to all the good advice handed out on this forum, I have finally booked my 1.8 TSI Elegance today.

Booked in silver, but looking to see if I can use a "pull" and get a Rio Red delivered faster than the usual TAT.

Btw, for those interested, I read through their warranty booklet. The Octavia's sunroof IS covered under warranty in contrast to what many people say.

Looking forward impatiently to the ride!
Old 9th March 2015, 01:26   #1473
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
It would be a downgrade if you were to get HRS wheels, that's for sure! The stock wheels are far superior to the Taiwanese wheels. Not much else.

You could try Borbet wheels. They seem to be the popular choice for VAG cars. Get in touch with Pete's, they should be able to hook you up. I'm sure they'll be able to get a few other quality brands as well. I've seen OZ wheels on a few of their project cars.
Suhaas agree with you completely. I intend getting OZ/ TSW or BORBET Rims installed. This all depends on the availability of the alloys.
I have dropped in an email to Petes regarding the Borbet alloys, lets see what they have to offer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgkaran View Post
So, thanks to all the good advice handed out on this forum, I have finally booked my 1.8 TSI Elegance today.

Booked in silver, but looking to see if I can use a "pull" and get a Rio Red delivered faster than the usual TAT.

Btw, for those interested, I read through their warranty booklet. The Octavia's sunroof IS covered under warranty in contrast to what many people say.

Looking forward impatiently to the ride!
Congratulations on the booking Karan ! You're gonna love every bit of it once she arrives.
Old 9th March 2015, 07:43   #1474
BHPian

Audio experts please help.
Bolero audio system/speakers in Octy produce good sound quality but not so happy with the bass it gives (esp at low volume), need suggestions from experts to address this. Please note that I am not looking at options that include changing the HU and looking at options under 15K budget.
One accessory shop suggested adding a subwoofer and brand suggested is Ground Zero, is this good ? http://www.ground-zero-audio.com/en/...oferboxes.html
Specifically looking for this one http://www.ground-zero-audio.com/en/...ib-80xact.html
Any other brand, options ? Please help.
Old 9th March 2015, 11:50   #1475
BHPian

B747,

There is a sub-woofer compartment on the front dash that is not populated in the Indian SKUs. Did you try to find out if it is possible to get a woofer unit that will fit in that place?

Quote:
Originally Posted by B747 View Post
Audio experts please help.
Bolero audio system/speakers in Octy produce good sound quality but not so happy with the bass it gives (esp at low volume), need suggestions from experts to address this. Please note that I am not looking at options that include changing the HU and looking at options under 15K budget.
One accessory shop suggested adding a subwoofer and brand suggested is Ground Zero, is this good ? http://www.ground-zero-audio.com/en/...oferboxes.html
Specifically looking for this one http://www.ground-zero-audio.com/en/...ib-80xact.html
Any other brand, options ? Please help.
Haren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2015, 12:37   #1476
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haren View Post
B747,

There is a sub-woofer compartment on the front dash that is not populated in the Indian SKUs. Did you try to find out if it is possible to get a woofer unit that will fit in that place?
Good suggestions but I think that's not possible in Bolero unit, should have been a plug & play if it was Columbus HU.
Old 9th March 2015, 14:20   #1477
Senior - BHPian

Skoda is unveiling new variants for all its models. They're apparently called the Zeal variants, I hope there are no ugly badges on the car exterior or interior, but the kicker is, wait for it, "BLACK ALCANTARA LEATHER INTERIOR". You read that right, the Octavia, Superb and the Yeti will get all black interiors with Alcantara and leather upholstery, where as the Rapid will be updated with Alcantara seats only, and only in beige. Features remain same, while I think few basic features have been added in the Ambition trim. Exterior colour choices include only Candy White and Brilliant Silver. Rejoice prospective Octavia, Superb and Yeti buyers, the all black Skoda interiors are back! I am feeling cheated already. check out www.striveformore.in for full details.

Last edited by adi_petrolhead : 9th March 2015 at 14:25.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 9th March 2015, 17:00   #1478
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
You read that right, the Octavia, Superb and the Yeti will get all black interiors with Alcantara and leather upholstery
Quote:
Exterior colour choices include only Candy White and Brilliant Silver. Rejoice prospective Octavia, Superb and Yeti buyers, the all black Skoda interiors are back!
Thanks, Adi, this is wonderful news indeed. I was on the verge of booking the white Octavia 1.8tsi Elegance but will now definitely be looking at the Zeal instead.

I did notice, however, that some of the pics in the link (for the Octavia Zeal at least) had brown faux wood trim while others had what looked like aluminium. I hope Skoda has the good sense to launch the Zeal version with either piano black or a dark grey ash...

Also, the absence of a flat-bottomed paddle-shifing steering wheel is a big disappointed, as is the fact that there is no reverse camera or satnav. Oh, well, I guess that's what aftermarket accessories are for!
Old 9th March 2015, 17:27   #1479
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye269 View Post
Thanks, Adi, this is wonderful news indeed. I was on the verge of booking the white Octavia 1.8tsi Elegance but will now definitely be looking at the Zeal instead.
I am slightly surprised why is it launched in only two colours, since the Octy is doing good in India, it could have done with a large scale production of this variant.

Quote:
I did notice, however, that some of the pics in the link (for the Octavia Zeal at least) had brown faux wood trim while others had what looked like aluminium. I hope Skoda has the good sense to launch the Zeal version with either piano black or a dark grey ash
I think it will be faux food which is currently on offer. Ash grey is not perceived as a 'luxury' option, hence I think Skoda will stick with brown wood finish.

Quote:
Also, the absence of a flat-bottomed paddle-shifting steering wheel is a big disappointment, as is the fact that there is no reverse camera or satnav.
When you compare the prices on the website for the normal variant and the Zeal variant of the 1.8 TSI Elegance, there is a difference of only INR 20,000/- That too, if you ask me, is only for the more expensive Alcantara finished upholstery. So its a good move by Skoda, and I hope there are many takers for this limited edition model. This launch is in line with range of 'EDITION' series limited editions launched in Europe, for Skoda's 120 year celebration.
Old 9th March 2015, 22:26   #1480
BHPian

Quote:
I am slightly surprised why is it launched in only two colours
Personally, I think all-black interiors look best with lighter coloured cars (especially those with silver or white exteriors), and offering a limited run variant in fewer colours helps bring costs down. I imagine these are the reasons why the Zeal version is only available in two colours.

Quote:
When you compare the prices on the website for the normal variant and the Zeal variant of the 1.8 TSI Elegance, there is a difference of only INR 20,000/- That too, if you ask me, is only for the more expensive Alcantara finished upholstery. So its a good move by Skoda, and I hope there are many takers for this limited edition model. This launch is in line with range of 'EDITION' series limited editions launched in Europe, for Skoda's 120 year celebration.
It's actually an excellently-priced deal. I looked at the print ad in today's paper, and noticed that both satnav and reverse camera are actually included (the web link was silent on both, which is why I had assumed in my earlier post that these were not being offered).
Attached Thumbnails
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-skoda-zeal.jpg  

Hawkeye269 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2015, 07:28   #1481
BHPian

Quote:
It's actually an excellently-priced deal. I looked at the print ad in today's paper, and noticed that both satnav and reverse camera are actually included (the web link was silent on both, which is why I had assumed in my earlier post that these were not being offered).
This is on the Rapid and not the Octavia. Doesn't the Rapid already come with a camera?

Also, when I was looking to book my Octavia over 're weekend, the dealer pitched this to me as the "Verve" edition... That's what the price list said too... Verve edition with all black interiors costing 20k additional. Didn't book it though as the Mrs preferred the regular one :-)
Old 10th March 2015, 07:36   #1482
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgkaran View Post
This is on the Rapid and not the Octavia.
Hey Karan, you make a good point, the print ad was for the Rapid Zeal and not the Octavia Zeal. Having said that, it's reasonable to infer that the three bullet points in bold are meant to apply to the Zeal family as a whole (Rapid, Yeti, Octavia, and Superb) because of the little asterisk placed on the last entry ("7-Speed Automatic DSG Gearbox*") which clarifies that the auto is not available on the Yeti. My logic is that there would have been a similar disclaimer if the satnav and/or rearview camera were not available across all Zeal editions.

I could be wrong about this, though!!
Old 10th March 2015, 08:25   #1483
BHPian

The only consolation for me is that there is only white and silver options both of which I am not a big fan of. Love the dark interiors, though !

Is the fake wood being replaced with fake metal? I kind of like the wooden look better.

I wonder if they would include the MirrorLink version of Bolero in a later edition.

Quote:
Skoda is unveiling new variants for all its models. They're apparently called the Zeal variants, I hope there are no ugly badges on the car exterior or interior, but the kicker is, wait for it, "BLACK ALCANTARA LEATHER INTERIOR". You read that right, the Octavia, Superb and the Yeti will get all black interiors with Alcantara and leather upholstery, where as the Rapid will be updated with Alcantara seats only, and only in beige. Features remain same, while I think few basic features have been added in the Ambition trim. Exterior colour choices include only Candy White and Brilliant Silver. Rejoice prospective Octavia, Superb and Yeti buyers, the all black Skoda interiors are back! I am feeling cheated already. check out www.striveformore.in for full details.
Old 10th March 2015, 12:01   #1484
BHPian

Quote:
While i agree this is a good move by Skoda to offer super looking High Quality Black interiors option to the Horrendous Beige interiors, i still cannot understand why they are not offering an Octavia 1.8 Manual gear variant when there is a Superb variant with the Manual Tranny.

A White or a Black Octavia with the sweet 1.8Litre engine, Manual Box and Super Black Alacantra Upholstery would make an ideal variant indeed and currently there is nothing in that segment in the market either.

Or are they planning to offer this exact combination in the VRS variant of the Octy which they have been planning to laucnh for quite some time now?
Btw any news/Updates on the Octavia VRS variant?

And what is with the Skoda Prices? Even a piddly 1.4Litre Octavia costs 20+ Lakhs in Bangalore and the Yeti costs almost 30Lakhs Crazy!!
Old 10th March 2015, 12:40   #1485
BHPian

Thanks a lot for the info Adi. I have converted my booking of the 1.8 tsi to the zeal edition of the same. So its cappuccino beige with black interiors. 1.8 tsi Elegance. Have to wait two more weeks for it. Definitely worth the wait since I am definitely not a fan of light colored interiors.

Most Viewed