Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2015, 15:56   #1561
Senior - BHPian

re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

And here is the Zeal TVC that Skoda has taken out as part of the marketing push

Old 25th March 2015, 13:06   #1562
Senior - BHPian

Do the Skoda dealers sell the accessories over the counter to the customers or can they be only "installed" by the dealers?
Old 25th March 2015, 14:59   #1563
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
Do the Skoda dealers sell the accessories over the counter to the customers or can they be only "installed" by the dealers?
They offer free installation in most cases. And its better they do it because they have done it in many cars, just make sure the person is well trained. In my case the main in charge of service installed the accessories personally in my car, so I was satisfied with the install.

What are you planning to buy?
adi_petrolhead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2015, 15:12   #1564
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
They offer free installation in most cases. And its better they do it because they have done it in many cars, just make sure the person is well trained. In my case the main in charge of service installed the accessories personally in my car, so I was satisfied with the install.

What are you planning to buy?
I am planning to buy the door sill plates and rear bumper protector. My car is in the EU, and those accessories (including installation) cost more than double the adverstised prices in Skoda India website if I go through the dealer here. I am planning to get the original accessories from India and install them on my own or at an independant garage.
Old 25th March 2015, 16:15   #1565
BHPian

Well the extended warranty figures are now in my hand.
Octavia Diesel - Rs.22240/-
Octavia Petrol - Rs.20605/-
The above are all inclusive prices and post March there is a nominal increase
Octavia Diesel - Rs.22961/-
Octavia Petrol - Rs.21273/-
rugsrags is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th March 2015, 13:13   #1566
BHPian

Guys, need you help here. I have been given a VIN number at last. Its

TMBBDMNE6EA007934
CJS 091114

It decodes to Dec 2014 unfortunately although all through the last 2.5 months since booking I was promised a 2015 car. I am quite miffed but Skoda guys are saying the date of Import is 6th of Feb as per

http://118.67.228.93/Global_Docs_sto...ERS_020528.txt

Is this acceptable? I have waited so long and registering the car before end of month will be beneficial for me so I have said OK to it after arguing fruitlessly with Tafe access. They say the month of manufacture in the registration will be 2015 because of the import date so it shouldn't matter. I am not particular about it since i don't intend to sell it before 5 years but it is a fly in the ointment so want to know what you guys think.
Old 26th March 2015, 13:20   #1567
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
First up, get them to knock off those delivery charges.

Second, ghats insurance figure is way too high. Tell them you'll get it done from outside unless they're willing to price match whatever quote you get from a bajaj Allianz, tata Aig or whoever. They will price match it and it could knock 25-30k off your insurance straightaway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by amarjain View Post
The price is right, except the standard accessories - you may not need the connecting cable as it is for the older generation iPod - just buy whichever accessory you need - you don't have to compulsorily buy all - I bought just the rubber foot mats and front mud flaps.

Also, you will have to pay more for the insurance as if you want extended warranty, then insurance has to be bought from the company only - the insurance cost subsidies the extended warranty. You can change to another insurance at the time of renewal.
Quote:
My only observation here is that you're paying way too much for insurance, it should be max ₹65,000/- for a complete ICICI Lombard diamond plan, which includes zero dep, tyre burst claims, hydrostatic damage, and in a rare case of an unfortunate total loss accident, the claim value will include full amount of the invoice value and the amount paid for registration!

The rubber mats won't be great, invest in 3D mats later. Mobile phone holder is also useless if you have anything bigger than an iPhone 5. Trash bin is a Good accessory and a rubber boot mat is also good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugsrags View Post
From what i remember I paid around 55k for insurance including zero dep and that too from skoda which was a bit higher than my own agent. I took it only because the salesman hinted that I would not be offered extended warranty otherwise. I just renewed the same for 42k for this year including 20percent no claim which was again higher from that of my agent who had quoted 37k.
I got all the accessories included in my deal which included the mud flaps, car cover and the media cable. The only thing they did charge me was the logistics charge.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugsrags View Post
Well the extended warranty figures are now in my hand.
Octavia Diesel - Rs.22240/-
Octavia Petrol - Rs.20605/-
The above are all inclusive prices and post March there is a nominal increase
Octavia Diesel - Rs.22961/-
Octavia Petrol - Rs.21273/-
Thanks iliketurtles (who doesn't??!), Amar, Adi, and rugsrags for your prompt responses. Just to clarify: I haven't as yet booked the white Ocatavia 1.8tsi Elegance Zeal, am still in the process of figuring out which of the Mumbai dealers is offering the best package.

Based on the above responses and my conversations with the dealers, I have a few follow up questions that I'm hoping fellow Team-BHPians can help me with:

1) Logistics charges: I tried negotiating this down and even referenced the Supreme Court decision, but unfortunately the dealers (specifically Senator Goregaon) don't seem to be budging. Will try my luck with the others.

2) Insurance: there is more flexibility on insurance, and it looks like this is negotiable. I'm hoping they'll match an external quote, especially if it's with the same insurer (Bajaj Allianz in the case of Skoda).

3) Extended Warranty: the consensus on the forum seems to be that the Skoda extended warranty is only available if one takes insurance cover through the dealer. Is this indeed true? Would love to hear from people who obtained insurance cover externally and also managed to get Skoda extended warranty.

4) Accessories: appreciate the heads-up on the accessories. Looks like the media cable (INR 2150) and mobile phone holder (INR 1145) are useless for an iPhone 6+ user like me. Am planning to opt for the front mud flaps (INR 729), rear mud flaps (INR 749), rubber boot mat (INR 2949 - has anyone gone for either the plastic boot dish that costs INR 4793 or the biface rubber / textile boot mat that costs INR 6477?), car cover (INR 1500 - is this worth investing in?), and waste bins (INR 856 each). Would like to put in the Kagu 3D mats, but can someone please let me know if having the OE rubber mats (INR 2769) as well (below the 3D mats) would help with comfort and/or NVH? Thanks!
Old 26th March 2015, 13:24   #1568
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye269 View Post
Logistics charges: I tried negotiating this down and even referenced the Supreme Court decision, but unfortunately the dealers (specifically Senator Goregaon) don't seem to be budging. Will try my luck with the others.

Check out JMD in Thane or Senator at Chandivali, they knocked off the logistics charges when I was considering buying the Octavia. You might have better luck there.
Old 27th March 2015, 11:33   #1569
BHPian

Does anyone have any information on Skoda care cost for the Octavia 1.8 tsi? Is it worth purchasing? I hardly see any discussion about Skoda care here surprisingly.

http://www.skoda-auto.co.in/models/octavia/service-plan
Old 27th March 2015, 13:57   #1570
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phreakv6 View Post
Guys, need you help here. I have been given a VIN number at last. Its

TMBBDMNE6EA007934
CJS 091114

It decodes to Dec 2014 unfortunately although all through the last 2.5 months since booking I was promised a 2015 car. I am quite miffed but Skoda guys are saying the date of Import is 6th of Feb as per

http://118.67.228.93/Global_Docs_sto...ERS_020528.txt

Is this acceptable? I have waited so long and registering the car before end of month will be beneficial for me so I have said OK to it after arguing fruitlessly with Tafe access. They say the month of manufacture in the registration will be 2015 because of the import date so it shouldn't matter. I am not particular about it since i don't intend to sell it before 5 years but it is a fly in the ointment so want to know what you guys think.
Have you already paid the amount other than the booking advance ? Definitely this is not acceptable when you specifically mentioned you need a 2015 manufactured car.
Old 27th March 2015, 14:35   #1571
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phreakv6 View Post
Does anyone have any information on Skoda care cost for the Octavia 1.8 tsi? Is it worth purchasing?
I had asked the dealer but even after owning the vehicle for 1.5 years, I am yet to receive a quote from them for the service plan. Now its pointless for me as I wont be keeping the car for more than 5 years. The site does not mention any pricing for the package as such, hence no discussion in the thread. The site also mentions that it is available through Skoda Finance only, hence I am thinking in some weird way it will be available only to those customers who opt for Skoda Finance during their buying process.

Also a strange exclusion of the Octavia and even the Laura from the Service Cost Calculator list is noticed from some time. Don't know what they're up to.

Service plan however is 100% dealer dependant and you will need to pursue your dealer for more info.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2015, 14:46   #1572
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssateesh View Post
Have you already paid the amount other than the booking advance ? Definitely this is not acceptable when you specifically mentioned you need a 2015 manufactured car.
Yes I have decided to go ahead with it and so have paid another down payment of 5 lakhs. The car should be here over the weekend. It was a bit hard to swallow at first but a few things made me go ahead.

1. Skoda was ready to honor the promise of '15 car if I was ready to wait another month which was a no go for me. I had waited 2.5 months and yet another month did not sound good as it could easily become another 2 months, because well, its skoda. I am self-employed and can claim depreciation benefit for FY 14-15 on the car if its invoiced before March 31. I had pushed them to give me a car before end of month so had to accept it for lack of a better deal. 7.5% depreciation on 25L is Rs.1,87,000 so it directly brings a savings of Rs. 62,000 for me if I go with this car.

2. I don't usually sell things and might only give it off within the family. I intend to keep the car for 5 years and so don't think it would make a difference in the long run. In short, resale value is not a big concern.

3. The ex-showroom price of the car was Rs. 20,00,950 so the road tax falls in the 20.58% range. Under 20 lakhs would bring this down by a little over 1%. I was able to convince skoda to do this as a special case (waive Rs.1000 on the ex-showroom as discount) so I get a savings of Rs.23,000 on the OTR.

4. The skoda guys say they can register this as a 2015 car with the import date as feb '15. Not sure how that works at all but the car registration smart card will contain a 2015 date, for what its worth.

5. The insurance part of the OTR if I am not mistaken is tax deductible as well and could help save me a tax of 20k or so for this FY.

Overall, the benefit of Rs.1,05,000 in going with this car made me sway my decision. Hope that makes sense. Please correct me if I am wrong in my assumptions/calculations. Also, does the car have to be registered as well within the year to avail depreciation benefit? it looks like I might be able to only get a TR done before end of month due to bank holidays.

Last edited by phreakv6 : 27th March 2015 at 15:14.
Old 27th March 2015, 14:51   #1573
BHPian

Quote:
I had asked the dealer but even after owning the vehicle for 1.5 years, I am yet to receive a quote from them for the service plan. Now its pointless for me as I wont be keeping the car for more than 5 years. The site does not mention any pricing for the package as such, hence no discussion in the thread. The site also mentions that it is available through Skoda Finance only, hence I am thinking in some weird way it will be available only to those customers who opt for Skoda Finance during their buying process.

Also a strange exclusion of the Octavia and even the Laura from the Service Cost Calculator list is noticed from some time. Don't know what they're up to.

Service plan however is 100% dealer dependant and you will need to pursue your dealer for more info.
I am going for a small loan through skoda finance for tax purposes and to not raise a red flag with the IT dept. so maybe I will be eligible for it. Will ask the dealership if its available for the Octi and what the costs are. But I suppose its not wise to go for it if its not a widely-adopted plan. Just curious to see what skoda thinks the maintenance costs for the Octi should be.
Old 27th March 2015, 17:55   #1574
BHPian

unsure about the depreciation part.

checking with my CA and getting back

Last edited by samyakmodi : 27th March 2015 at 18:07.
Old 27th March 2015, 18:09   #1575
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samyakmodi View Post
Please check with your CA first. As far as I know cars which were bought before 30th September can get you full depreciation benefit, but after that it's just on pro-rata basis.

Kindly confirm this with your CA as it might not be as good a deal as you might be thinking
You are right. Apr-Sept is when you can avail the full depreciation benefit which is 15%. Oct-Mar can give you a depreciation benefit of 7.5% which is what I have taken into consideration if you notice. This was confirmed by my CA as well. Quite a lot of resources on the net confirming the same if you search for '7.5% depreciation benefit car'.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks