Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2015, 14:32   #1681
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye269 View Post
Thanks, Kapil, do you have any pics you can share of the P7 225s on the Octavia? Also, what is the approximate price differential between the 215s and the 225s?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapiljolly79 View Post
But that doesnt really change much here as you have a powerful car with all digital readouts.

What will matter is the stance. The 215 look ok and are a sufficient massage to the eyes but the 225 totally satisfy both looks and broadness of the vehicle. Price difference is huge but worth the extra. 225 is my choice and in use by me too. practically no drop in fuel average but great grip.
225/55/16 is the wrong upsize of 205/55/16 in my opinion. You are increasing the sidewall height by almost 11mm. This translates to a 22mm increase in ground clearance. That's sure to ruin the ride and handling balance. I know there are few that bat for plus sizing wheels in this manner, but I would stick to the max 2% variance rule.

The car gives out digital readouts , yes, but then you will get the wrong readouts if your tire size is off!!

225/50/16 is the ideal upsize for 205/55/16. But then this size is hard to source and you have very limited options. You can search around for Michelin Pilot Sport 3 or Yoko Advan Sport.
Santoshbhat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2015, 15:52   #1682
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
225/55/16 is the wrong upsize of 205/55/16 in my opinion. You are increasing the sidewall height by almost 11mm. This translates to a 22mm increase in ground clearance. That's sure to ruin the ride and handling balance. I know there are few that bat for plus sizing wheels in this manner, but I would stick to the max 2% variance rule.

The car gives out digital readouts , yes, but then you will get the wrong readouts if your tire size is off!!

225/50/16 is the ideal upsize for 205/55/16. But then this size is hard to source and you have very limited options. You can search around for Michelin Pilot Sport 3 or Yoko Advan Sport.
Hi Santosh,

Just a small correction to what you have said - an 11mm increase in the Sidewall height only results in 11mm increase in Ground clearance and not 22mm. This is because the tyre radius practically determines the distance of the hub from the ground and not the tyre diameter. That said, even 11mm is too much for upsizing the tyre and the recommended norm is only 2%.

Regards,
Behemoth
Behemoth is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th April 2015, 22:20   #1683
BHPian

Ok. So after reading here, and also trying the Tyre application on my phone and speaking to Peter Chacko, I realised 225/55 was indeed a wrong choice. So back to the tyre shop and switched over to Yokohama Decibel 215/55 16. I must say, yes, the ride quality is much better and why didnt I go for the Pirelli? Well, a sound advice from a friend running them on his 3 series. So here are new pics and the stance is good because of that extra lip this tyre has that gives its sidewall a good look on the rims.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-20150420_185614.jpg  

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-20150420_185603.jpg  

kapiljolly79 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2015, 08:15   #1684
BHPian

If you increase the tyre radius, then wouldn't the car's speedometer and odometer show wrong (lower) readings? Do you have ways to correct this in the car computer?
Old 21st April 2015, 08:36   #1685
Team-BHP Support

If the actual speed can be determined using a GPS, the indicated speed on the speedo can be adjusted through the MFD by opting for the winter tires selection menu which can reduce or increase the speedo reading by +-5 kmph (or 10 kmph don't remember correctly).
Old 22nd April 2015, 11:01   #1686
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone got the K&N filter for the Octavia yet? If yes, is it worth the upgrade?

Secondly, I am experiencing quite a lot of noise when the AC is on, under hard acceleration. I am sure it is nothing related to the air filter but is everyone else also experiencing increased noise when AC is on? It is like a whining noise, i assume the AC filter needs cleaning may be.
Old 22nd April 2015, 11:24   #1687
Team-BHP Support

If it's a whistling sound from the AC vents (check by turning off the blower and turning it on), it could be the air leaking from the cabin filter's housing. It should be located behind the glovebox. Try opening it and replacing it back.
Old 22nd April 2015, 11:34   #1688

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
Has anyone got the K&N filter for the Octavia yet? If yes, is it worth the upgrade?
I checked with a friend who is the distributor of K&N filters here in Mumbai - he says that the filter for the current Octavia has not come yet - will inform when it does.

I also wrote an email to Skoda India to clarify whether replacing the stock filter will affect my warranty - no response from them. I also spoke to Autobahn - they say that it will void the warranty - although I can't understand why.

What do you think?
Old 22nd April 2015, 12:07   #1689
Team-BHP Support

The K&N filter that goes inside the stock air filter housing is coated with a special oil and it keeps coating the sensor element of the MAF sensor with this oil over time and requires frequent cleaning.

The CAI is a different story however. Requires new plumbing as well and the filter to be located close to the grill for fresh air suction as much as possible.
Old 24th April 2015, 15:17   #1690
Team-BHP Support

Not sure how true this is but the Skoda dealer in Bangalore (Tafe), just informed me that the Zeal edition has now been stopped.

They don't have any Octavia Zeal editions and maybe able to get a Superb Zeal edition available in stock.

They were limited edition and are now no longer available.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2015, 03:59   #1691
Senior - BHPian

Octavia MY16 price list and feature list has been published here in the EU. The Elegance spec now features 6.5" Bolero audio system. Hopefully, the India-spec will be upgraded soon.

Last edited by StarrySky : 28th April 2015 at 04:06.
Old 28th April 2015, 06:17   #1692
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
Octavia MY16 price list and feature list has been published here in the EU. The Elegance spec now features 6.5" Bolero audio system. Hopefully, the India-spec will be upgraded soon.
Haha one can only hope, my friend.

Skoda India likes to sell only the most basic of kits. Black and white MID, no KESSY, no paddles, no reverse camera, no navigation... We might be paying among the highest of prices, but as far as features are concerned, we get the rawest deal.
Even interior color is pre-decided for India. Zeal edition looked beautiful, but it seems to be a one-off. I hope they learn a bit from Honda and offer a few more gizmos for the next model year.
A top end Honda City or Hyundai Verna offer more features than the Octavia. :(

I'm visiting the US right now, and I cannot stop drooling at even the most common of cars here. They have so many options, at such low prices....
Old 28th April 2015, 15:23   #1693
BHPian

Fresh from Prague: Installed the faux exhaust imitations and the TSI badge on the rear.

Red Stitching 3 spoke DSG paddle shift steering. Droolmaal and worth every bit. Vagtune india charges 3 times the price of what its for shipped from Prague.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-20150428_130659.jpg  

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-20150428_130722.jpg  

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-20150428_133312.jpg  

kapiljolly79 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 28th April 2015, 16:18   #1694
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapiljolly79 View Post
Fresh from Prague: Installed the faux exhaust imitations and the TSI badge on the rear.

Red Stitching 3 spoke DSG paddle shift steering. Droolmaal and worth every bit. Vagtune india charges 3 times the price of what its for shipped from Prague.
Good stuff. Could you mind sharing the link from where you bought this. Also, Did you get it to work your self. I know removing the airbag is nerve wrecking. Good show!
Old 28th April 2015, 16:22   #1695
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Bean View Post
Good stuff. Could you mind sharing the link from where you bought this. Also, Did you get it to work your self. I know removing the airbag is nerve wrecking. Good show!
I would hands down recommend the supplier. Andrey is his name and www.skodadop.com is where you can get this stuff. Best part is all the products I received, except for the faux immitation exhaust which are manufactured by Milotec, are genuine Skoda parts. I got the TSI badge, the Steering and a Skoda Octavia Scale model, all genuine Skoda stuff. 100% great site to shop from and excellent customer service.

Before this I tried getting the same stuff from car equipment website but horrible service and they dont have stock of what they show on their website.

Installed the ex myself. Childs play. Will go to Satnam auto later when the skoda guy comes to get the wheel installed as I have conversed with Skoda and they say as long as its genuine, no lapse of warranty. So even though its a plug and play wheel, will have it installed at their workshop in the presence of a Skoda Tech.

Last edited by kapiljolly79 : 28th April 2015 at 16:23.

Most Viewed