Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th June 2015, 13:17   #1801
BHPian

re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
Music related query

Has anyone added/modified the standard Bolero sound system in the Octavia?

I am asking besides the Dynavin upgrades many have done. Anyone has bought and installed a genuine OEM Columbus or Amundsen unit?

I find the sound quality very average, and the volume is not loud enough for me when playing music on SDCard or Bluetooth device. I tried all possible settings but just can't see what more can be done.

I am wanting to increase bass, and loudness of music. Will fitting an active subwoofer help?

Which is the best way to listen to music in the Bolero system?
1) Aux (adaptor needed)
2) MDI for USB drive, not iPod.
3) SDCard
4) proper iPod connecter?
5) CD
6) Bluetooth device (I am using an iPhone)
I am using SDCard as well Bluetooth streaming from my Xperia phone for listening to music. Most of my music is of 320kbps quality and I am quite satisfied with both methods of listening to music.

Bolero Music system is deeply integrated with the car and therefore I would suggest you not to make any changes in that unless you are able to source OEM upgrade. I would rather suggest to first try with high quality music and see how it sounds. For this use SDCard and not your iPhone as iTunes might be reducing the quality of music while transferring it from your computer to iPhone.

You may also try changing speakers and adding sub-woofer to increase the bass and loudness.
Old 5th June 2015, 14:47   #1802
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rutvij View Post
I am using SDCard as well Bluetooth streaming from my Xperia phone for listening to music. Most of my music is of 320kbps quality and I am quite satisfied with both methods of listening to music.

You may also try changing speakers and adding sub-woofer to increase the bass and loudness.
I am trying to source Focal speakers which come with a VW/Skoda connector, but fitting them is a pain because it has to be fixed with rivets and not screws. I think adding subwoofer alone will not work, i will have to change the amp too. Sadly there is no expert in my contacts in Ahmedabad at least.

I recently tried using a USB drive with the MDI-USB cable. The sound quality is much better compared to iPhone or SDCard.

I can vouch for the fact that the OEM speakers in my Laura, along with Bolero, sounded much better with louder volumes and deeper bass. I used only compact discs in that system along with Aux-in at times. Its sad we have to buy Rs. 2000 worth (each) connectors to make basic things like Aux-in and USB/iPod work in a 20 lakh car.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2015, 16:11   #1803
BHPian

Quote:
I am trying to source Focal speakers which come with a VW/Skoda connector, but fitting them is a pain because it has to be fixed with rivets and not screws. I think adding subwoofer alone will not work, i will have to change the amp too. Sadly there is no expert in my contacts in Ahmedabad at least.

I recently tried using a USB drive with the MDI-USB cable. The sound quality is much better compared to iPhone or SDCard.

I can vouch for the fact that the OEM speakers in my Laura, along with Bolero, sounded much better with louder volumes and deeper bass. I used only compact discs in that system along with Aux-in at times. Its sad we have to buy Rs. 2000 worth (each) connectors to make basic things like Aux-in and USB/iPod work in a 20 lakh car.
Try contacting Bhagirath Electronics at Jadav Complex, Ashram Road. I have seen Mercedes's being worked upon there and the owner seems to be knowledgeable guy.

There shouldn't be much of a difference between songs played from SDCard or through USB Cable because you are feeding original file into the system either way.

I 100% agree with you about necessity to buy various connectors for aux and USB. Nowadays these connections are standard even in entry level cars.
Old 5th June 2015, 16:41   #1804
BHPian

Quote:
I am not sure what type of speakers are there in Octavia, are they 6 inch? coaxials or components? If they are coax and 6 inches, then there's a reliable seller on ebay selling VW integration focals for 6.7k a pair. I think he may also have components. the model number is 165 VW
Old 5th June 2015, 17:12   #1805
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalittalwar View Post
I am not sure what type of speakers are there in Octavia, are they 6 inch? coaxials or components? If they are coax and 6 inches, then there's a reliable seller on ebay selling VW integration focals for 6.7k a pair. I think he may also have components. the model number is 165 VW
I have gone through your thread and frankly i have no guts to undo the door card myself. Will have to go to a reliable shop for that or ask the dealer to help me. Thanks for the eBay tip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rutvij View Post
Try contacting Bhagirath Electronics at Jadav Complex, Ashram Road..
Will do and let you know what he tells me. Again I don't think many Octavia owners have gone for speaker upgrades yet, so it would be a new challenge for any professional. The level of security in today's Octavia is much more than what it was 10 years back.
Old 6th June 2015, 11:03   #1806

Hey Adi,
I carried out the adaptations yesterday and they work perfectly. The error from the MFD is gone. However, i was doubtful about two adaptations which were:

[VO]_Leuchte23SL HLC10:
[LO]_Lichtfunktion D 23: [VO]_Tagfahrlicht

[VO]_Leuchte24SL HRA65:
[LO]_Lichtfunktion D 24: [VO]_Tagfahrlicht

Tagfahrlicht basically means (drls) I wasnt sure what they do so i have kept the coding for these adaptations as 'not active'. Do you have any idea what those 2 adaptations do?
Old 6th June 2015, 11:17   #1807
BHPian

Quote:
When I swapped the lights, i got errors because LED but the tail light was working in the format of regular halogen pattern. So that change in coding was possible by ODIS but my dealer didn't know anything about it. I ended up shooting a mail to Vagcode.ru. What brilliantly helpful guys, specially Andrey and Loki, i think they're the same but extremely helpful! They emailed me the complete list of channels which were needed to be modified and I took my laptop to the service center to do it. I used VCDS only not ODIS. All options were available to be changed. Took me an hour or so of changing different values. Mainly to change the bulb type to LED and setting dimmvert values to '0'. For example the rear fog lights were at dimmvert value 16 or 19 so that was set to '0'.

Had a chat with Ross Tech guys the other day and it turns out that the individual channel coding to adapt LEDs is a feature of the new BCMs post MK7 models. The architecture of BCMs before that are different and cannot be done the way you did it. Hence the security access (as per what they said) won't be of much use like in the case of MK7 based cars. Certain LED adaptations could be done but through documented bits in long coding helper only. I have been on it researching through trial and error (taking the risk of blowing my BCM, but so far so good) and have discovered a few things. Will be putting up the findings in a separate thread sometime soon. Might be valuable to pre MK7 owners wanting to do lighting related mods and DIYs.
Old 6th June 2015, 12:54   #1808
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shahen_dastur View Post
Hey Adi,
I carried out the adaptations yesterday and they work perfectly. The error from the MFD is gone. However, i was doubtful about two adaptations which were:

[VO]_Leuchte23SL HLC10:
[LO]_Lichtfunktion D 23: [VO]_Tagfahrlicht

[VO]_Leuchte24SL HRA65:
[LO]_Lichtfunktion D 24: [VO]_Tagfahrlicht

Tagfahrlicht basically means (drls) I wasnt sure what they do so i have kept the coding for these adaptations as 'not active'. Do you have any idea what those 2 adaptations do?

As you said these are for activating the tail lights as day time running lights. Means it will stay on after ignition is on, along with the front drls. You can turn on ignition and look at the tail light to confirm.
Old 11th June 2015, 22:48   #1809
BHPian

I dont remember the coding but I too have my tail lights on with the front DRl during the day. I have the LED tail lights as standard. So thats why I didnt have to go through so much coding but definitely had the options in English if I recall. But anyway, they look whack when they are on without having the rear number plate lights on. So once dusk sets in, its still easy to drive without having to switch to parking lights, because the only difference is a lower intensity of front lights and rear number plate lights that come on in parking. Will definitely shoot a pic of it tomorrow.

Ok. Question for the tech heads here. Is it possible to enable drive mode selection through the bolero system for the 1.8 tsi? The Euro edition that has the same specs but with the columbus system has drive mode selection. Any inputs?

Last edited by kapiljolly79 : 11th June 2015 at 23:10.
Old 13th June 2015, 10:54   #1810
Senior - BHPian

The battery is acting up. The charge seems to be low when starting the car in the morning. When I crank the key, all interior lights including the instrument cluster start flickering and one can evidently feel that the battery is on low charge.

However after 15-20 kms running, the battery starts charging again.

There is a battery charge indicator in the MFD when the ignition is off, it can be displayed by long-press of the "0.0/trip" button on the MFD. It shows 100%.

I have stopped using auto headlights and turned off all interior lights, still the problem persists. Anyone else face battery issues in the Octy? I remember my Laura battery also failed after 18 months. This time its exactly after 19 months.

Where as my 2012 Vento battery is still running strong. I hate to think that I will have to visit the dealer and ask for a replacement. May be my obsession of mods has cost me the battery. I have megapower LED installed in the license plate housing, that runs on the resistor setup. I am suspecting it sucks some amount of battery but I rarely drive at night. Also I changed all interior bulbs to Osram LEDs, the bulbs seem to leak a very minute may be 1% amount of light even when it is off. I fail to understand the reason. I think I should switch back to filament bulbs.
Old 13th June 2015, 12:02   #1811
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The battery is acting up. The charge seems to be low when starting the car in the morning. When I crank the key, all interior lights including the instrument cluster start flickering and one can evidently feel that the battery is on low charge.

However after 15-20 kms running, the battery starts charging again.

There is a battery charge indicator in the MFD when the ignition is off, it can be displayed by long-press of the "0.0/trip" button on the MFD. It shows 100%.
These symptoms indicate the battery is not able to hold charge. Usually, the charge indicator in such electronic systems predict charged based only on the voltage of the battery. However, when the capacity of the battery to hold charge is low, even though the voltage on no load will correspond to a fully charged battery (and hence the charge indicator shows 100%), when a load is applied - especially a heavy load like the starter motor for cranking the engine, the voltage will drop rapidly. That is why you see the lights and instrument cluster flickering.

I would suggest you get the battery checked and replaced if necessary.
graaja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2015, 13:19   #1812
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugsrags View Post
Diagnosed with a battery failure and they have given a standby unit till the time the ordered battery comes in.
Was the dealer able to diagnose the reason for battery failure?
Old 13th June 2015, 15:06   #1813
BHPian

Quote:
Was the dealer able to diagnose the reason for battery failure?

Well they changed the battery. The reason they didn't know. They were like a power cell can fail and it is a defect in the battery.the only think worth mentioning is that I wasn't really getting a response from them till the time I didn't write a mail to the customer care. Post that the work was completed in a day only.
Old 13th June 2015, 17:35   #1814
BHPian

Quote:
I have megapower LED installed in the license plate housing, that runs on the resistor setup. I am suspecting it sucks some amount of battery but I rarely drive at night. Also I changed all interior bulbs to Osram LEDs, the bulbs seem to leak a very minute may be 1% amount of light even when it is off. I fail to understand the reason. I think I should switch back to filament bulbs.

Adi, as much as possible, better to stay away from a resistor setup. I remember reading from various forums that it could even damage your BCM over a period of time. That is why, even when I was struggling to code my BCM for LED tail lamps, I did not go the resistor way even when the Russian forum guys and Ross tech guys couldn't find a solution coding wise. LEDs adapted to BCMs are fine. But try to stay away from using high capacity resistors in the BCM wiring. Not advisable as per experts. I had imported resistors from US 5 years back for my Octy, but never used 'em.
Old 13th June 2015, 18:16   #1815

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Hi, am not a Skoda owner (yet!) so cannot comment on the specific stuff. W.r.t. the insurance NCB, you can definitely ask them to adjust it with the initial payout itself and not wait for a refund cheque. I did it with my VW Polo which I bought concurrently when selling my Getz; it simply needs a bit more paperwork for the showroom insurance fellow.

In my experience, the insurance rep always tries to avoid all this stuff and blandly state, 'not possible'. Everything is possible and if they insist otherwise, ask for it in writing either on their own letterhead or on the insurance company's one. Usually this works :-)

Let us know what happend! I have never claimed (touchwood) in my 15 years of ownership - I now have both my NCBs at the 50% max for the last few years - wish they gave a higher slab for say, 3 years no claim at 50%
Sorry for the repost - forgot to quote this message first that prompted me to post this message again in this thread.

Hello, I posted this in another thread as well http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buying...emiums-44.html (ARTICLE: No Claim Bonus - How to save on your insurance premiums!) but I thought I should write here as well based on what I am going through.

I got my Skoda Octavia in April & I am keeping my old car as well. In order to get the NCB transferred to the new car I cancelled the insurance policy of my old car (Maruti) & got a new insurance policy for it without NCB - received a NCB certificate valid for 3 years from my old insurance company stating 50% NCB eligibility and I am requesting 50% NCB from Skoda Insurance/Bajaj Allianz (basically a refund as the agent promised me that it should be a straightforward process and did not know I could seek a discount right then).

However, after sending across the NCB to Bajaj the agent now says that this clause needs to be removed from my NCB better "The insured is entitled to 50% NCB. In the event of vehicle continuing in the ownership of the insured named herein, the NCB will be available within period of 90 days from the expiry of the policy mentioned above" from the NCB certificate! If I speak to the insurer of my old car they say it is standard format, they cannot make amends and I am eligible for NCB using this letter. I feel I am being played by my new insurer as the NCB certificate clearly says I am entitled for 50% bonus! At this time I have 0% NCB on both policies!

Any advice?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks