Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th April 2017, 19:57   #2776
Team-BHP Support

re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naman_Ferrari View Post
Thanks. Going to start talking to the dealers from tomorrow. Lets see what happens. Will keep you posted
In addition to what Vishy76 has mentioned about Jetta probably getting better deals: As you are not going for the highest variant where Octavia is better than Jetta in terms of goodies (like sunroof, headlight with AFS II etc.), I would suggest you to give preference to the Jetta for its multi-link suspension which should result in a better ride for the rear bench passengers in a chauffeur driven car.
graaja is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 10th April 2017, 21:02   #2777
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishy76 View Post
But the Jetta could be a better deal since it is being discontinued. There are huge discounts on it.
The trick is to be patient and bargain hard. Both are D1 segment sedans which move really slow. You will get discounts but you have to wait.

The dealer is as anxious as you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
In addition to what Vishy76 has mentioned about Jetta probably getting better deals: As you are not going for the highest variant where Octavia is better than Jetta in terms of goodies (like sunroof, headlight with AFS II etc.), I would suggest you to give preference to the Jetta for its multi-link suspension which should result in a better ride for the rear bench passengers in a chauffeur driven car.

My dad just came back home and told me that the dealer called him and told him that no MT variant is available. Infact, the only car that they do have is the top-end AT which costs 30L on road Bangalore. To top it off, he said that the best discount that they can give is Rs. 20K
If this is the case, the Octavia cannot even be considered anymore.

Will call Volkswagen tomorrow. As mentioned, the suspension of the car would be better and so would the build so wouldn't mind the Jetta too but if they also have a similar response, then we are back to the Ciaz I guess :(
Naman_Ferrari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2017, 21:40   #2778
Distinguished - BHPian

Hasn't the Jetta been discontinued? There is a different thread here about that and the fact they sold the last piece possibly in Hyderabad in March.
84.monsoon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2017, 21:37   #2779
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
Hasn't the Jetta been discontinued? There is a different thread here about that and the fact they sold the last piece possibly in Hyderabad in March.
I am hoping that they have some stock left. Will call them tomorrow to check. Will let you know.
Old 11th April 2017, 21:52   #2780
BHPian

Quote:
Now what we are thinking is that this car (Ambition Plus MT) could serve a dual purpose - A nice replacement to the Vento & A car we could also use ourselves and take out to the highway which is currently done only in the old Merc.
I have a few questions, the answers to which will help A LOT-
1. Is this a good chauffeur driven car or is it mainly for the self driven type or is the mixed use fine?
2. Should we go for the DSG? (not considering it now as its mainly chauffeur driven)
3. Whats the Fuel Economy in the city?
4. Is it worth waiting for the facelift?

Thanks in advance.
Adding my two cents because I was in a similar situation last month. Sold our C class, needed a D segment replacement as the C/A4/BMW are just too expensive to maintain as daily drivers.

Options were Altis, Octavia or a C segment car (City/Vento/Rapid).

The car was going to be mostly chauffeur driven with daily city drive of 40KMs. Initially the Octavia did seem out of budget and not value for money with OTR of around 28 lacs for Diesel AT.

But, went ahead bargained and landed a deal for 23 lacs OTR for Diesel AT. This was becsause it was a 2016 variant and it was March closing, they had to meet their targets.

The Altis was good, but boring. C segment felt wrong with respect to being chauffeur driven.

My advise: contact all dealers asking for 2016 stock and haggle hard on those, they can give you great prices. Be open to Petrol variant also if your running isn't too high, even thought the disel DSG is more reliable.

If it still doesn't fit your budget, go for the Altis, I believe the manual variant costs around 21-22 Lacs OTR and is VFM. Boring indeed, but feels right for backseat comfort (maybe even more than Octavia).

Stay clear of the Jetta, even though it's a fantastic car, never a good idea to buy a car which is discontinued. It isn't a MSIL car which will have ample of spares available. Not to mention, the resale will be pathetic.

The facelift will be significantly more expensive than the current Octavia with no discounts for at least 6 months, wouldn't make sense to wait for it. Also, it's at least 7-9 months away.

PS: if you can increase your budget go for Style Plus Octavia, simply because it has airbags for rear passengers. Safety is paramount, no?

Last edited by madnish30 : 11th April 2017 at 21:54.
madnish30 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th April 2017, 23:39   #2781
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
My dad just came back home and told me that the dealer called him and told him that no MT variant is available. Infact, the only car that they do have is the top-end AT which costs 30L on road Bangalore. To top it off, he said that the best discount that they can give is Rs. 20K

Will call Volkswagen tomorrow. As mentioned, the suspension of the car would be better and so would the build so wouldn't mind the Jetta too but if they also have a similar response, then we are back to the Ciaz I guess :(
One factor to consider is that the Octavia facelift petrol will probably come only in the 1.4 TSI engine which will be much more fuel efficient (ARAI 19+) then the current 1.8 (ARAI 14+) and also a more preferred output for a chauffeur driven car. Do keep that in mind when doing the petrol versus diesel math!

Last edited by itwasntme : 11th April 2017 at 23:41. Reason: Clarity
itwasntme is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th April 2017, 00:05   #2782
Senior - BHPian

₹30L on road What is the road tax slab in KA?
The basic price for the MY 2016 car(highline AT) is ₹18,26,375.55, add the locally applicable VAT rate and you will arrive at the ex showroom price, do the math from there on and even with 0 depreciation insurance(with all the bells & whistles) at approximately ₹70K, it should not sit north of ₹26L. I picked one up towards the end of 3rd quarter last year for approximately ₹22L on road. Probably I got better discounts as the news of discontinuation was doing the roads and the company had offloaded stocks on to dealers and now with the stocks thinning out they are acting pricey, waiting for Jetta fans to pick up the last examples at absurd prices. Even then for last years manufactured a ₹1L discount is definitely on and add to that the fact that it is now discontinued, this should add another hefty discount to the kitty.
If you are really keen, I suggest you talk to the GM at your dealership. In my case too the SA was playing hardball and it took one phone conversation with his GM to close the deal.

Quote:

khoj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2017, 11:55   #2783
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post

Well, what happens is that the Note 4 consistently returns "Communication Error 8" message after AA is launched. Have checked this using multiple USB cables. Mind you, Apple CarPlay works seamlessly all the time every time!
So I am stuck!
Were you able to solve this issue?

I was driving last week with Android Auto on and suddenly it stopped and I started getting a "Communication Error 8" screen on my phone (Moto G4 Play). Things were working perfectly fine for about 6 months till this problem came up. Interestingly there's no issue with Apple CarPlay whatsoever.

I tried resetting the HU as well as my phone but it was of no use. Trying with different Andoid phones did not help either.

Finally headed to the Skoda Service Center and they also tried with a few phones and got the error each time. I've now left my car at the service center and they said they'll do something called DIS and figure out the problem to fix it.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 12th April 2017 at 12:16. Reason: Edited quoted post for better readability
Old 12th April 2017, 20:46   #2784
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madnish30 View Post
ound 28 lacs for Diesel AT.

But, went ahead bargained and landed a deal for 23 lacs OTR for Diesel AT. This was becsause it was a 2016 variant and it was March closing, they had to meet their targets.

The Altis was good, but boring. C segment felt wrong with respect to being chauffeur driven.

My advise: contact all dealers asking for 2016 stock and haggle hard on those, they can give you great prices. Be open to Petrol variant also if your running isn't too high, even thought the disel DSG is more reliable.

If it still doesn't fit your budget, go for the Altis, I believe the manual variant costs around 21-22 Lacs OTR and is VFM. Boring indeed, but feels right for backseat comfort (maybe even more than Octavia).

Stay clear of the Jetta, even though it's a fantastic car, never a good idea to buy a car which is discontinued. It isn't a MSIL car which will have ample of spares available. Not to mention, the resale will be pathetic.

The facelift will be significantly more expensive than the current Octavia with no discounts for at least 6 months, wouldn't make sense to wait for it. Also, it's at least 7-9 months away.

PS: if you can increase your budget go for Style Plus Octavia, simply because it has airbags for rear passengers. Safety is paramount, no?
Hi. Spoke to both the Skoda dealers in Bangalore again today and both of them said that the discounts used to be there on the 2016 stock which is over. If I want the MT, there is 2 months waiting and no discount. Style Plus AT has 20k discount and 40k Exchange Bonus. Since the Skoda is costing 29L at best with discounts its out. The Jetta stocks are also completely extinguished. The Altis is for 24L OTR now and we don't think it is worth it due to poor build quality and a 90 HP engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
One factor to consider is that the Octavia facelift petrol will probably come only in the 1.4 TSI engine which will be much more fuel efficient (ARAI 19+) then the current 1.8 (ARAI 14+) and also a more preferred output for a chauffeur driven car. Do keep that in mind when doing the petrol versus diesel math!
The Octavia facelift will take a lot of time to come to the market. Plus it will be expensive. At that price, we would be looking at a better all rounder and the puny 1.4 would not cut it

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
The basic price for the MY 2016 car(highline AT) is ₹18,26,375.55, add the locally applicable VAT rate and you will arrive at the ex showroom price, do the math from there on and even with 0 depreciation insurance(with all the bells & whistles) at approximately ₹70K, it should not sit north of ₹26L. I picked one up towards the end of 3rd quarter last year for approximately ₹22L on road. Probably I got better discounts as the news of discontinuation was doing the roads and the company had offloaded stocks on to dealers and now with the stocks thinning out they are acting pricey, waiting for Jetta fans to pick up the last examples at absurd prices. Even then for last years manufactured a ₹1L discount is definitely on and add to that the fact that it is now discontinued, this should add another hefty discount to the kitty.
If you are really keen, I suggest you talk to the GM at your dealership. In my case too the SA was playing hardball and it took one phone conversation with his GM to close the deal.
I don't know the exact rate but it is REALLY HIGH and the roads are probably the worst in India. I double checked with the GM (through) a friend and 30L OTR minus 60k is the best that they can do. Not worth it IMHO.
Old 12th April 2017, 22:05   #2785
BHPian

Quote:
Not worth it IMHO.
What's stopping you from getting an Innova Crysta. You don't like it? It would solve your bad roads issue. Also, pretty good interiors and reliability quotient. Better After Sales than Skoda's. Unless you're eyeing the Germans as an option....
Old 12th April 2017, 22:22   #2786
a2k
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Which dealer offered the discount. I approached the dealer in Chennai and they said there were no offers. The only offer they have is on the maintenance program.
Old 13th April 2017, 05:44   #2787
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikramk View Post
I've now left my car at the service center and they said they'll do something called DIS and figure out the problem to fix it.
Nopes, I just could not get AA to work inspite of multiple Android phones, cables and what-not. Seriously irritating especially as the Gaana app is now AA enabled and I use it at home a lot.

Do keep us updated on what the service guys say.
Old 13th April 2017, 14:02   #2788
BHPian

Hello everyone. Just saw this news our homepage - http://www.team-bhp.com/news/rumour-...-india-q3-2017

It makes much more sense now. They are not offering discounts anymore as they genuinely have no stock left.
The new model which will come in July will definitely be more expensive with no discounts. So have dropped the idea of buying the Octavia now. Maybe sometime in the future

Also, if its not the Octavia & Jetta, spending north of 20L does not seem worth to us. So we have decided to finalise the Ciaz.

Thank You all for your suggestions and feedback.
Old 13th April 2017, 17:45   #2789
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Thanks to Shahbaz Patel for sharing!

Quote:
Skoda has silently revised pricing for the Octavia w.e.f 1st April 2017, and to lure customers, they are offering 4th year maintenance package for 12999 now as against 38999 earlier.
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th April 2017, 11:58   #2790
BHPian

Hello all... this is the current update of my 2014 octavia diesel elegance AT. Its done about 53k kms as of today. While overall iv been satisfied with the car like everybody else the dealership experience is a hit or miss. A few days back while on trip to the hills the car refused to start. The battery dying out issue for the second time. The first time it happened it was covered under warranty and replaced FOC. This time round we managed to start the car using jumper cables and drove it to the nearest skoda workshop where they checked everything and then gave a green signal stating that everything is fine and it was a one off issue. Luckily we didn't take a chance and drove the car back without switching off the car even when we stopped for lunch etc. Looking back it was big risk as U.P. roads can be notorious and doing 400 kms on a dead battery wasn't a very good idea in hindsight.

Anyway the next morning the car refused to start again and to top it all even the locks weren't working so unlocking the car with the remote was a pain. Just a note on the safe lock issue : the car doesn't unlock from the inside in case its been locked by the remote so one can get stuck inside with no way out. On repeatedly unlocking the car the rear door locks unlocked and that's when we found out that the front doors still won't open from the inside. Luckily waited for a while and on simultaneously pressing the unlock button and pulling the door handles at the same time managed to unlock the car without using the key fob.

For all owners i must say the skoda shield is a must have. They were prompt in arranging a mechanic who jump started the car but since the battery was dead it refused to restart on switching off post which they sent a tow truck to take the car to the workshop which has now shut shop in our city and shifted 90kms away. All this was covered under skoda shield and I didn't have to pay anything.

This is where things get interesting. Once the car is received at the workshop i get a call from the SA that they will require to keep the car for 2-3 days to diagnose the issue. I inform them of the battery issue and they say that we will still have to check and that's the minimum time required by them. I asked them if they have my vehicle information on the system as this issue has happened earlier to which he says that he is yet to get the details on the car. I then informed him that i do have extended warranty on the car and so will not pay them a dime for this inconvenience especially since the battery was last changed by them just one a half years back. He tells me he'll call me back and promptly i get a call back in 10 minutes that sir we've checked its the battery at fault and we won't change it in warranty now since the time period is over. He goes on to say that sir i would suggest you to get a battery installed outside as the warranty on the battery through skoda is only of a year and the battery also costs around 10k if i get it changed by them. He also tells me that tyres and battery can be changed outside without voiding the warranty.
He then arranged for the car to be driven back to me with the old battery and instructions on not to switch off the car and i got it then replaced by my local battery supplier. I got the Varta changed to an excide with the same specification and paid 5k including the exchange price of old battery.

The engine check light was on when i received the car and the car was really dirty and dusty as if they had kept it parked with the windows down and they didn't even get the car cleaned before sending it back. The check engine light went off on its own the next day, i sorted out the auto up-down windows on my own and the TPMS, airbag and ESC lights went off on their own within 5 minutes of battery change.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks