Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 19th December 2018, 13:35   #3211
BHPian

re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
If you have the budget to get a new one, I would suggest you take that option. If you decide to go for used car, then just put aside some money for failures like water pump, fuel pump or AC compressor which are common failures in VAG cars. Skoda usually replaces the DSG even outside warranty under goodwill warranty. So, that need not be a concern.

Thanks @graaja. Any idea whats the replacement cost for the above mentioned parts? and they should come with some warranty if replaced? I am trying to weigh the option for 4years of usage of this car.
abacusv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2018, 20:33   #3212
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by abacusv View Post
Thanks @graaja. Any idea whats the replacement cost for the above mentioned parts? and they should come with some warranty if replaced? I am trying to weigh the option for 4years of usage of this car.
Hi, No idea about the cost of these spares though. Other Octavia owners should be able to comment on this.
Old 19th December 2018, 20:56   #3213
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Hi, No idea about the cost of these spares though. Other Octavia owners should be able to comment on this.
Add replacement of headlight assemblies due to yellowing of DRL and steering button units replacement.

However, new Octy owners rarely get to bear these costs in the first 4 years of standard + extended warranty . For example, my TSI's water pump & RHS headlight assembly was just changed (@3 years) without any visibility to me as it was under EW.

Just pick up the phone and call any Skoda workshop (even better visit them) - connect to spares/stores and ask them. They can be remarkably helpful when asked politely. Tell them specifically why you are asking and they will probably help. Best of luck!

I will need to visit my workshop in the next few days as I left behind some stuff there - will try and get you details.

Last edited by itwasntme : 19th December 2018 at 21:00.
Old 19th December 2018, 21:32   #3214
BHPian

I just got back the car from the service center after by 4th Annual service.

Just a couple of days before the service date, I noticed that the RHS DRL had dimmed. Brought it up with the service adviser. My extended warranty expires in a few days. I was thanking my luck (!) that the DRL conked off before that date. phew!

However, it turned out that DRLs are not covered in extended warranty. They are covered in regular warranty, though. Also, as I had feared, the DRLs cannot be individually replaced and the entire head light unit needed to be changed (MRP ~35K!!).

The service adviser at Vinayak Skoda was very helpful in following up with Skoda about the same and the headlight unit was replaced under Goodwill Warranty .

I saw quite a few threads about the RHS DRL going dead. Does anyone know why the problem occurs with RHS mostly?
Haren is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th December 2018, 22:11   #3215
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haren View Post
I just got back the car from the service center after by 4th Annual service.
Haren, we met at Okalipuram without introducing ourselves or discussing TBHP . I was the one with the other Rio Red TSI!

True, why RHS DRL tends to go kaput is a mystery.

Last edited by itwasntme : 20th December 2018 at 22:12.
itwasntme is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2018, 15:53   #3216
BHPian

I've decided on the pre-owned one 2015 1.8 TSI model. There were few minor damages but I think I can live with it.

1. The steering control knob on the right side is damaged and the ASC said it costs about 18-20k for the knob. Felt that was too much but I think that's what Skoda is.

2. Copper liner on the gear handle has worn out and is little irritating. Costs about 10K.

Few things i wasn't able to get the feature.

1. I could not find a single USB port in this model, it had only "Media in" port which was unique one. I was surprised to see no USB port for 2015 model. And not sure what was this media in port used for. Any owners here can shed some light?

2. There was speak symbol on the steering knobs, when pressed it said voice operation not available. Does that mean it is not set or the feature is not available in the car? Why provide a switch if it's not available ?

And other thing I think extended warranty upto 4 years existed always I guess and not introduced recently. I haven't been able to get this information from the seller on this.

Thanks in advance.

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-skodaoctaviainterior20420.jpg

Last edited by aah78 : 23rd December 2018 at 22:11. Reason: Typos fixed. Picture inserted in-line.
abacusv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2018, 17:43   #3217
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I've decided on the pre-owned one 2015 1.8 TSI model. There were few minor damages but I think I can live with it.

1. The steering control knob on the right side is damaged and the ASC said it costs about 18-20k for the knob. Felt that was too much but I think thats what skoda is.

2. Copper liner on the gar handle has worn out and is little irritating. Costs about 10K.

Few things i wasn't able to get the feature.

1. I could not find a single USB port in this model, it had only "Media in" port which was unique one. I was surprised to see no USB port for 2015 model. And not sure what was this media in port used for. Any owners here can shed some light?

2. There was speak symbol on the steering knobs, when pressed it said voice operation not available. Does that mean it is not set or the feature is not available in the car? Why provide a switch if its not available ?

Thanks in advance

1. The media in Port actually requires an adapter to convert it into a USB port. This might sound very clumsy but that's how it is in the Octavia and Jetta MK-6. Here's the link:

https://www.amazon.in/Interface-3-5M...SABEgJRYvD_BwE

2. Might not be enabled for India. This feature was also unavailable in the Jetta. You might have to pay a hefty sum to get it activated though which I won't recommend

Last edited by vishy76 : 23rd December 2018 at 17:44.
vishy76 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2018, 23:14   #3218
BHPian

Thank you. I have another question on DSG AT. As per sales rep, it has something called creep mode, which accelerates even without applying the peddle, which is helpful during bumper to bumper traffic.
But, what is the best way during long signals? To keep it in drive mode and hold the brakes? Or switch to Neutral?

Is it safe to switch between Neutral and drive mode often?
Old 26th December 2018, 23:21   #3219
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you. I have another question on DSG AT. As per sales rep, it has something called creep mode, which accelerates even without applying the peddle, which is helpful during bumper to bumper traffic.
But, what is the best way during long signals? To keep it in drive mode and hold the brakes? Or switch to Neutral?

Is it safe to switch between Neutral and drive mode often?
Yes the DSG does have a creep function where the car crawls forwards in drive at ~5 kmhr without throttle inputs when the brakes are released.

During long signals, it is best to shift to neutral. This is advisable for any gearbox these days IMO. Some might suggest that the gearbox is intelligent enough to disengage the clutch packs but I think there is nothing like the peace of mind you get and its not something that is really difficult or inconvenient to do either. (Especially in case of the f(r)amed DSG DQ-200).

I would also suggest you switch to manual mode in traffic in order to prevent the gearbox from slipping the clutch in 2nd gear. This is a classic DSG trait and one that might lead to the clutch packs getting worn prematurely. Instead select manual mode and force the gearbox to hold 1st gear only.

These tactics might sound a bit too extreme, but I would recommend them especially in case of the DQ-200. Its always better to err on the side of caution. Small things like these might just make the difference in the long run. (Fellow owners and members are free to correct me)

There is no need to worry at all when shifting from drive to neutral. (Even if it is done very often).

Last edited by moralfibre : 27th December 2018 at 08:31. Reason: As requested.
vishy76 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2019, 08:20   #3220
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Haren, we met at Okalipuram without introducing ourselves or discussing TBHP . I was the one with the other Rio Red TSI!

True, why RHS DRL tends to go kaput is a mystery.
Oh. wow! Nice to have met you :-)

A few updates after the repair/service:

The new DRL+lamp is whiter than the old one (LHS). Not sure if the older lamp/DRL has lost brightness over time or the newer one is of better technology.

"Fill Washer fluid" message popped up. It was surprising since they would have topped it off during service. Turns out there is some leak. I filled it and could observe it dripping down from the bottom!

Have to take it to the service station again sometime to check it out. Any suggestions on a self fix?
Haren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2019, 15:17   #3221
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haren View Post
Oh. wow! Nice to have met you :-)

A few updates after the repair/service:

The new DRL+lamp is whiter than the old one (LHS). Not sure if the older lamp/DRL has lost brightness over time or the newer one is of better technology.

"Fill Washer fluid" message popped up. It was surprising since they would have topped it off during service. Turns out there is some leak. I filled it and could observe it dripping down from the bottom!

Have to take it to the service station again sometime to check it out. Any suggestions on a self fix?
Interesting that you say this. Mine seems to be identical but let me closely inspect tonight. In your case, did they also change any of the non-HL assembly parts (i.e. the child ones) which are not part of the integrated assembly? In my case, I feel they changed only the sealed beam part but retrofitted my existing ballast etc. Was it same in your case or all new child parts too? Maybe all new parts do make a difference?

For the fluid tank, I suggest judicious application of M-Seal. Its not a showstopper so if you can locate the source (and can reach it), just smear some quick-drying stuff on it. Should work - its not a pressurized tank after all.
itwasntme is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2019, 15:52   #3222
BHPian

Quote:
Attachment 1830145

Is this one an early 2015 model?, In 2015 September, the style plus variant was launched and that had a USB port to enable Android Auto/Mirror Link.
Old 4th January 2019, 11:04   #3223
BHPian

Quote:
Interesting that you say this. Mine seems to be identical but let me closely inspect tonight. In your case, did they also change any of the non-HL assembly parts (i.e. the child ones) which are not part of the integrated assembly? In my case, I feel they changed only the sealed beam part but retrofitted my existing ballast etc. Was it same in your case or all new child parts too? Maybe all new parts do make a difference?
I am not sure of what you are asking. I saw that they replaced the entire headlamp unit (projector, lens, DRL, indicator, outer shell).

Quote:
For the fluid tank, I suggest judicious application of M-Seal. Its not a showstopper so if you can locate the source (and can reach it), just smear some quick-drying stuff on it. Should work - its not a pressurized tank after all.
I am going to give it a try this weekend. Other than the filling spout, the rest of the plumbing+tank seems to be deep inside, though.
Old 4th January 2019, 11:44   #3224
BHPian

3rd Service Update

The car in its 28th month of ownership completed 45,000 km and was sent yesterday for its 3rd Annual service. Thanks to the maintenance package, the actual service bill was a big fat ZERO!

However, i proactively got the front brake pads changed even though they had about 3000 km worth of life left in them. The rear pads are holding up just fine.

Apart from the basic stuff, there was just one issue to report- my memory seats were not working. Turns out that there was moisture inside the switch and that had affected its functioning. They opened and cleaned it but its only functioning intermittently. Will probably get the switch changed as it only costs INR 2500.

Been very very happy with the car and have no issues to report. On a recent Chandigarh- Delhi drive leaving Chandigarh at 220pm and reaching Noida at 730pm i got a 28.3kmpl average. What more can i ask for!

Cheers
Rohan
RohanDheman is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th January 2019, 03:25   #3225
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RohanDheman View Post
3rd Service Update

The car in its 28th month of ownership completed 45,000 km and was sent yesterday for its 3rd Annual service. Thanks to the maintenance package, the actual service bill was a big fat ZERO!

However, i proactively got the front brake pads changed even though they had about 3000 km worth of life left in them. The rear pads are holding up just fine.

Been very very happy with the car and have no issues to report. On a recent Chandigarh- Delhi drive leaving Chandigarh at 220pm and reaching Noida at 730pm i got a 28.3kmpl average. What more can i ask for!

Cheers
Rohan
Happy to hear. My Octavia will go for 30k in couple of weeks. And that's one awesome mileage. Have not got beyond 24.5 kmpl till now. What's the secret?

Most Viewed