Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th May 2019, 11:12   #3391
Senior - BHPian

re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Great! Suggest that you anyway try and copy the entire card to a backup device, just to see if there is any native DRM installed. Let us know!
Maps copied on another SD card won't work. Only the original SD card required. I already had tried it on my Superb.
lancer_rit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2019, 12:32   #3392

Hi

Has anyone installed a Rear View camera on a MY15 Octavia Elegance? If HU needs to be upgraded, which one to get and from where? Is there an OEM HU that supports Android Auto on the pre facelift Octavia?

Thanks.
Old 5th May 2019, 11:42   #3393
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joethomasv View Post
Mine is on the 4th battery now, all 3 of them gave up without any warning. First one was Varta, rest all Exide India. But I never got the message that you mentioned.

Did you mention it to Tafe?
So my TSI battery gave up the ghost today luckily while comfortably parked in our garage, and not in at some highway stop in 45 C temperature!

Which one do I go for? Exide suggesting: http://batteryboss.in/product/exide-mreddin60/
Attached Thumbnails
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-b1.jpeg  

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-b2.jpeg  

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-b3.jpeg  

Old 5th May 2019, 13:30   #3394
BHPian

Quote:
Which one do I go for? Exide suggesting: http://batteryboss.in/product/exide-mreddin60/
The 60 AH one should do just fine since your's is the TSI. I tried a higher capacity one from Exide but it didn't last any longer. The black battery cover didn't fit either since it was slightly bigger.

Last edited by joethomasv : 5th May 2019 at 13:32.
joethomasv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2019, 14:58   #3395
BHPian

Quote:
So my TSI battery gave up the ghost today luckily while comfortably parked in our garage, and not in at some highway stop in 45 C temperature!

The 60AH replacement shall do fine for the TSI Variant! Diesel requires a higher rated capacity.

I'd prefer Amaron over Exide, due to more positive feedback.

However, the advantage of Exide is that your some SAs try to disclaim warranty over non-OEM batteries, which is totally unjustified. Buying Exide will only prevent that conversation from happening, no other advantage.
sharktale is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2019, 15:27   #3396
Distinguished - BHPian

Thank you both! Spoke to a local Exide dealer and struck a deal for 6.2K (exchange price) for an Exide MRREDIN60. Will come over shortly to fit it.

Price very reasonable in my opinion. A neighbor with a Merc was weeping over his 20K AGM battery cost!
Old 5th May 2019, 16:58   #3397
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thank you both! Spoke to a local Exide dealer and struck a deal for 6.2K (exchange price) for an Exide MRREDIN60. Will come over shortly to fit it.
Ughhh not an Exide please! That won't last you long either. Get an Amaron if you can.
Old 5th May 2019, 17:06   #3398
Distinguished - BHPian

Replaced battery with an Exide MLDIN60 manufactured in January 2019. New battery voltage is ~13.70. Started up and a bunch of errors popped up with ESC & TPMS errors. Restarted and drove for 200 metres and the errors started disappearing.

Relieved at the smoothness of the exercise.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-b4.jpeg  

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-b5.jpeg  

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-b6.jpeg  

Old 5th May 2019, 17:35   #3399
Senior - BHPian

Skoda Octavia : Official Review

My 5th battery failed yesterday. Similar case as yours and I went immediately to the shop where I'd bought it from. They did a quick voltage check, and gravity check to find one cell was completely out of juice. Pro-rata warranty applies because it's been 3 years since I got the Exide battery. Although just a year ago, it was replaced under warranty by Exide.

This time I got an Exide MRed DIN65, it's slightly bigger but the clamp fits in a farther slot dedicated for a larger battery, factory fit! The felt cover has to be adjusted and re-attached with double sided velcro, which I'll do in a few days. Cost was around 6K. Only went for Exide again because of the warranty. Else I'd have had to cough up around 9k for a new one from Amaron.

Last edited by adi_petrolhead : 5th May 2019 at 17:37.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2019, 19:28   #3400
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
My 5th battery failed yesterday. Similar case as yours and I went immediately to the shop where I'd bought it from. They did a quick voltage check, and gravity check to find one cell was completely out of juice. Pro-rata warranty applies because it's been 3 years since I got the Exide battery. Although just a year ago, it was replaced under warranty by Exide.

This time I got an Exide MRed DIN65, it's slightly bigger but the clamp fits in a farther slot dedicated for a larger battery, factory fit! The felt cover has to be adjusted and re-attached with double sided velcro, which I'll do in a few days. Cost was around 6K. Only went for Exide again because of the warranty. Else I'd have had to cough up around 9k for a new one from Amaron.
I read a lot about issues with Octavia battery.
Can you advice me on the do's and don'ts of this.
1. Is this battery issue unique to Octavia TSI?
2. If yes, what are the precautions one should take during a long outstation drive?
3. What's the usual warranty of the stock battery?
4. If the battery fails during warranty period, is it replaced free of cost?
5. If battery fails, can we replace it ourselves or do we have to take the car to Skoda service centre. Concern is about Skoda warranty being affected.

Thanks
Old 5th May 2019, 21:32   #3401
BHPian

Does the battery in Octavia die all of the sudden? Aren't there any symptoms?
For a car that comes with a plethora of electronics this is a bummer!
Old 6th May 2019, 07:42   #3402
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambydude View Post
1. Is this battery issue unique to Octavia TSI?
2. If yes, what are the precautions one should take during a long outstation drive?
3. What's the usual warranty of the stock battery?
4. If the battery fails during warranty period, is it replaced free of cost?
5. If battery fails, can we replace it ourselves or do we have to take the car to Skoda service centre. Concern is about Skoda warranty being affected.
My responses are based on experience with Jetta and Polo.

1. No. Even Jetta and Polo have this issue. In general, the OE battery used by VAG cars in India have a high rate of failure. In the Jetta, two batteries failed each within 1.5 years, and in the Polo, the OE battery died within 2 years.
2. Carry a jump start cable. That way even if the car fails to start, you can get it jump started with the help of a Samaritan.
3 & 4. I think it is 2 years. When the first battery failed in my Jetta in 1.5 years, it was replaced free of cost. But the warranty does not extend 2 years further, but stops at 2 years from the purchase of the car. But the dealer may try to avoid free of cost replacement. In that case, you will have to be firm.
5. If the battery fails under 2 years and you need a warranty replacement, then you have to get it replaced by the dealer. But you can get it replaced outside as well. Though the dealers will try to discourage you by saying warranty will be void, it is not the case. If you replace with a battery with the same specifications, there will be no issues with warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waspune View Post
Does the battery in Octavia die all of the sudden? Aren't there any symptoms?
For a car that comes with a plethora of electronics this is a bummer!
From my experience with the Jetta and Polo:
Yes, it can die all of a sudden with no symptoms. This can happen if there is a cell failure. This happend in my Jetta. Everything was fine in the evening, and the next day morning everything was dead. If it is general degradation, you may see some symptoms like lights flickering when starting the engine. This happened in my Polo. I started seeing cabin lights flickering when engine was cranked and when I measured the voltage, I saw the voltage was dropping very low while cranking. I replaced it without waiting for full failure.
graaja is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 6th May 2019, 10:18   #3403
Distinguished - BHPian

My responses in italics below:
Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post

2. Carry a jump start cable. That way even if the car fails to start, you can get it jump started with the help of a Samaritan.

Can you recommend a trustworthy cable please? Amazon has a bewildering selection!

5. If the battery fails under 2 years and you need a warranty replacement, then you have to get it replaced by the dealer. But you can get it replaced outside as well. Though the dealers will try to discourage you by saying warranty will be void, it is not the case. If you replace with a battery with the same specifications, there will be no issues with warranty.

Less than 2 years should be no-quibble immediate replacement as per the Exide T&C. Between 2 & 4 years, it's a proportionate warranty and should result in a substantial discount on the replacement battery.

Yes, it can die all of a sudden with no symptoms.

I sensed only a mild hesitation on the first start-up, plus a few fleeting errors which would pop up and vanish almost immediately. Not making the same mistake next time especially before any driving holidays.

Further, is it worth buying a battery voltage tester unit and keep at home? Know I'm showing my OCD now but just thinking aloud.

Last edited by itwasntme : 6th May 2019 at 10:19.
Old 6th May 2019, 13:43   #3404
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Can you recommend a trustworthy cable please? Amazon has a bewildering selection!

Further, is it worth buying a battery voltage tester unit and keep at home? Know I'm showing my OCD now but just thinking aloud.
Jump start cable: Though I said you need to keep a jump start cable in the car, I have not got one yet. That response for myself as well. So I have no clue about a good jump start cable

Battery tester: Depends on the cost. If it costs less than 2K, then I would definitely get one. Otherwise, it may be an overkill. I have a Fluke digital multimeter that does max and min measurements. So, when I crank, it records the minimum voltage recorded at the battery voltage and I use that as an indicator to a failing battery.

Found the below cable in Amazon. This has good reviews and also the specifications look good.

Jump start cable

There are three variants. The one with 4 gauge wire is the best, but 8 gauge should be good enough too for an Octavia. I am thinking of getting the 4 gauge one.

EDIT: Just ordered the 4 gauge one.

Last edited by SDP : 6th May 2019 at 14:43. Reason: Merging back to back posts.
graaja is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2019, 14:57   #3405
BHPian

The Octavia definitely has battery issues. I bought by 4th battery in 5 years last week!
Mine is a 2014 Tdi Elegance run about 45k.
- OEM battery lasted about 2.3 years and died with no warning in Kodaikanal. I couldn't find any replacement there so i had to drive back to Trichy and bought an Exide Din 65.
- That Exide died within 11 months and I got a replacement battery under warranty.
- Last week the replacement battery died again in just 13 months and this time I couldn't even claim warranty because apparently you can claim only once.
- The last Battery I bought is a Din 74 Amaron which cost me around 9k. I hope this one lasts longer.

I wonder why Skoda downsized the battery. The Laura Tdi's all had Din 74 but all Octavias came with Din 65.

Last edited by vibhu_f430 : 6th May 2019 at 15:00.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks