Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 23rd May 2019, 11:56   #3481
sud
BHPian

re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
Is this a known issue ? I have seen numerous Octavia's with yellow DRL's and non-functioning DRL. Aren't the LED's supposed to last a lifetime of the car?
I had a bad experience with DRL's as well. They went off so quickly. One went of in warranty period (< 2 yrs) and got replaced under warranty. The second one went just after warranty and had to bear 30% cost after so much haggling. In my opinion, these DRL's have very poor lifetime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyinDoc View Post
Question to long term owners: How have the beige interiors and leather held up over the years?

Thanks.
Mine is about 3.5 yrs / 80K kms and I don't do too much maintenance of the leather. But still it holds good and the comfort/cushion is still intact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Rio red is beautiful!

Have been out of touch for quite sometime. Congratulations all the new owners of the great machine!
sud is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2019, 18:01   #3482
BHPian

Hi Guys,
Been eyeing Octy for quite some time - either new/used.
Would it make sense to buy a 48K run 1.4 TSI ? How good are the suspension etc generally? COuld we expect a lot of maintenance? Thank you for any inputs/advice
Old 23rd May 2019, 18:01   #3483
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselhead View Post
I had booked the Octy Ambition diesel manual on the 16th of May and was told a tentative delivery around 1st week of June to which I agreed. I had also told them that I would make rest of the payment once I see the vehicle physically. But to horror, I was today told by Trinity Skoda,Bhubaneswar that I need to make payment as the car is being transferred from Simla,HP through inter dealership transfer. I made it very clear that I wont pay any money before the car arrives in the dealership and I do a physical inspection.Else I would cancel the booking.Awaiting confirmation. Anyone faced a similar issue?
Cancelled the booking today and asked for a refund as dealership couldnt make available the car without me making full payment. They wanted me to make full payment so that they could get the vehicle from some other place. On top of that they couldnt share the VIN no.Hence cancelled it.
Old 27th May 2019, 11:51   #3484
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselhead View Post
Cancelled the booking today and asked for a refund as dealership couldnt make available the car without me making full payment. They wanted me to make full payment so that they could get the vehicle from some other place. On top of that they couldnt share the VIN no.Hence cancelled it.

Clearly the dealership was trying to take undue advantage of your desperation. Please contact Skoda Customer Care and they'll surely sort it out. Had same issue with my Crysta last month. One call to the helpline number and I got the car within 5 days and made payment only after inspection.
Old 27th May 2019, 20:47   #3485

Took delivery on the day promised by the dealer. It was on my birthday. Refused the cake, balloons and the what nots. Got handed a Skoda paper bag with the Skoda manual in it! Was promised a box of chocolate and a gold coin for later.

Car wasn't cleaned well. Was in a rush anyways, so took the car out in a hurry. Got a tank full against the complains with the B pillar swirl marks. Marks were visibly gone on the delivery day. Am sure they'll show up soon as the car gets washed. Am still waiting for the panels to come from CZ.

Drove rather carefully, considering its my first new car where I've taken a rather deep plunge with this car. Had a bit of traffic, and then empty roads. Roads in vizag are spectacular - so had a huge smile throughout. What a motor this car has! The jump from my 2004 Diesel Lancer to this car is massive ! The driving and cornering dynamics are similar. Where I feel the difference is the super smooth and quiet motor and the reaction to the throttle inputs.

Have clocked around 500kms in five days. First impressions :

The Good :

The motor is wicked. I love the sound when I dip the throttle for an overtake.

Everything about the car is great. I am forced to compare it with the Lancer that I've had for a while now. Though the Lancer is from 2004, it has the multi link set up and I don't think I've driven a better car than the Lancer. The Octavia comes fairly close, except it has a much more powerful motor compared to the 68 Bhp diesel motor on the Lancer. But trust me, once you've driven the rally suspension Lancer, you know what you're up against.

I like the fact that the car can figure out the lighting dynamics and leaving the lights on Auto is more than adequate.

The virtual cockpit is a visual treat for sure. Also a fair bit of info can be shown on it. I'm just dreading the fact that since there's so much of electronics here and I'm used to working on the Lancer entirely myself, I just pray nothing goes wrong in this car. A Ross tech has been planned for later. But I prefer working with my hands on things that are mechanical rather than using a computer to fix things!

The car is feature loaded, and I'm sure I'll be finding out new things for sometime. Since the good bits have been discussed to great details, I'll focus on the downsides.

The not so good :

The interiors are going to be a pain to maintain.

The cabin is quiet but not as much as I had thought it would be - as mentioned by fellow bhpians here. My Lancer was quiet inside except the sound from the diesel motor!

Don't really like the feel of the steering wheel - would have preferred the pre facelift steering wrap. This one feels soft but cheap to hold.

Getting out of the car, you have to be careful not to mark the door pad with your shoes.

Driving positions are several but still cannot find that perfect spot. On my Lancer, I was more at ease with respect to the driving position. The Lancer was a spot on, when it came to the driving position and the car dynamics specially at high speed corners. The octavia corners well, no doubt, but I felt the Lancer was more planted.

The boot needs to be closed with a bit of a force otherwise the MID shows the boot as red.

I'm not really happy with the paint job. I was expecting a better finish. Yes, the magic black is very different but the reflections show that the paint work could have been better! I find this strange or maybe I'm being too rigid, but I can see it.

Would have liked if the lights were more powerful. At times, they feel a tad underpowered in certain situations.

While reversing and going on full steering inputs from end to end, I can hear the sound from the steering shaft / joints.

Have already set my ears out to small vibrations which is too early for a car this new. I'll check them out myself since I'm an expert in detection, thanks to my Lancer.

The sound system, I feel, could have been better. I have tried everything, but haven't yet found the setting which feels perfect! Have read in Briskoda about various options tried by people.

In the end, every time I overtake someone, without even switching to Sports, it sets off a smile. And that's what I love about this car. Have tried the Sports mode on some long stretches along the coast here in Vizag, and it really sets off your pulse.

My wife is loving the car. She has turned out to be a better driver than me, and that's a bummer - considering the fact that she's just learnt driving on the Lancer in the previous year.

Haven't had the time to take some good pictures, but have a few random pictures. Just got a wash from 3M. Wasn't really impressed. Planning on a ceramic coat and ppf, once I have the money.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-img_20190524_233302.jpg  

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-img_20190524_233347.jpg  

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-img_20190526_081445.jpg  

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-img_20190524_231158.jpg  

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-img_20190523_072656.jpg  

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-img_20190526_202139.jpg  

roy1010 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 28th May 2019, 07:50   #3486

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadie_swift View Post
I'm expecting delivery this coming week, dealer has shared the VIN which confirms April 2019 manufacturing date. It's a white Octavia Style 1.8 TSI.

Cheers,
R_S
Hi,
How to figure out the month of manufacture from the VIN. I am also awaiting the delivery of my Quartz Gray 1.8 TSI. My dealer has shared me the VIN but when I googled about the definition of VIN I was able to decode only the year.
Old 28th May 2019, 09:02   #3487
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachin1981 View Post
Hi,
How to figure out the month of manufacture from the VIN. I am also awaiting the delivery of my Quartz Gray 1.8 TSI. My dealer has shared me the VIN but when I googled about the definition of VIN I was able to decode only the year.
Hi Sachin,

You can refer to this thread for all details on decoding the VIN, brand-by-brand. It also includes links on online decoders that give you model, engine and gearbox details etc.

All the best and congrats on a great purchase!

Cheers,
R_S

Last edited by roadie_swift : 28th May 2019 at 09:05.
roadie_swift is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2019, 11:11   #3488
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy1010 View Post
The not so good :

The boot needs to be closed with a bit of a force otherwise the MID shows the boot as red.

Would have liked if the lights were more powerful. At times, they feel a tad underpowered in certain situations.

While reversing and going on full steering inputs from end to end, I can hear the sound from the steering shaft / joints.
Boot:
Get the boot latch checked, While the notchback is heavy(!) and needs a firm shove compared to normal saloons, your latch may not be engaging properly for whatever reason. Worth checking out as the latch assembly is not cheap.

Headlights:
I have the Bi-Xenon projectors and their output is universally derided in IN. I had hoped the full LED set on your facelifted one was substantially better.

Steering noise on full lock:
Should not be present - suggest you ask Skoda to replicate the same in their demo car(s).

Tyres:
Unsure what is the OEM tyres are on your Octavia but I strongly suggest changing the tyres to Michelin P4ST, or a similar one like MRF Perfinza or Continental MC5. Makes a world of difference. The difference on new tyres will be barely 15K but that is money well spent!

Mats:
Also get a 6.5K set of 3D Maxspider/Kagu mats in beige or black. Lasts a long time and looks superb!

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 28th May 2019 at 12:50. Reason: Back to back posts merged.
itwasntme is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th June 2019, 10:21   #3489
BHPian

Style TDI MT 1 month experience:

Clocked 1800kms after a long drive which covered ghats, highway, single roads and mud roads. Octy has always managed to put a smile on my face on any terrain. Under body touched twice on big spread breakers when the car was fully loaded - 5 passengers.

Interiors give the luxury feeling, seats are super comfortable, infotainment awesome with the sensors - rear/front, boot can carry an elephant, headlights a pleasure after my previous Vento experience!

Quartz grey did manage to turn a few heads but otherwise is keeping to itself letting it's action do the speaking :-)

Mileage is awesome....hit 30 kms/ltr during a 50 km downhill drive!

Absolutely comfortable in a city like Bangalore!

One issue noticed:

I get a soft dum dum sound mostly from the rear/boot during breaking at slow speeds 1st/2nd gears. I tried isolating by removing all moving things from dikky. Today have removed the Stepney also so that boot is completely empty and check if the sound is still around. Anybody else has faced this issue and any suggestions please?
Attached Thumbnails
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-20190603_220527.jpg  

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-20190609_095651.jpg  

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-20190609_095339.jpg  

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-20190609_101848.jpg  

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-20190609_101736.jpg  

Santosh.Kat is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th June 2019, 10:38   #3490
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santosh.Kat View Post
Style TDI MT 1 month experience:
Super awesome! Good to see you are enjoying the Octy. The mileage figure is inspirational, I am not going to get anywhere close to it since I'm so addicted to the mulekick-in-the-back feeling when you mash the a-peddle in S mode.

I've had just about 600km in my first 15 days of ownership of the 1.8 TSI Style, haven't compiled a review yet, but it's coming soon.

Haven't experienced any sound like you describe, but you might also wish to check the parcel tray if it's coming loose and making that noise.

Happy driving!

Cheers,
R_S
roadie_swift is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2019, 13:23   #3491
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadie_swift View Post
Super awesome! Good to see you are enjoying the Octy. The mileage figure is inspirational, I am not going to get anywhere close to it since I'm so addicted to the mulekick-in-the-back feeling when you mash the a-peddle in S mode.

I've had just about 600km in my first 15 days of ownership of the 1.8 TSI Style, haven't compiled a review yet, but it's coming soon.

Haven't experienced any sound like you describe, but you might also wish to check the parcel tray if it's coming loose and making that noise.

Happy driving!

Cheers,
R_S
TSI is an altogether different beast i've heard and read, so can understand your joy Happy driving to you too!!

I checked and couldn't find a parcel tray. I think it's an accessory that we need to buy separately right?

My problem with the sound still continues with the boot completely empty. Last option before I visit service station is to remove the boot mat and the cover(wooden) of Stepney and check. It's a very soft sound and not sure if I am being paranoid. 1 to 3 dum dum sound when I apply break approaching a hump and during the course of passing through the hump.

One more question since you mentioned your driving style :-) ! Dont we need to drive a bit sedately for the first 1,2,3K kms run-in before we start utilizing the full capacity of Octy?? During this 1.8k I have hit 100 kms/hr only thrice and I think I haven't kicked off the turbo so far in any gears. Was planning to start the Octavia style of driving after 3K kms :-) What's your and others opinions/suggestions on this?
Santosh.Kat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2019, 14:00   #3492
BHPian

Great to see the Happy Octavia owners! It really is one special car.

Quote:

I checked and couldn't find a parcel tray. I think it's an accessory that we need to buy separately right?
I think what BHPian roadie_swift was referring to was the parcel shelf attached to the boot lid, that swings up with the boot lid( Can be seen in the last picture you have put up).
Abhinav_2502 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2019, 09:24   #3493
BHPian

Quote:
Dont we need to drive a bit sedately for the first 1,2,3K kms run-in before we start utilizing the full capacity of Octy??
Hit 100 only once in 1.8k km!! You truly are "The Monk Who Bought The Octavia", sir!

On a serious note, you are totally right! While running-in is not mandated as such, it never hurts to take it easy in the first stretch.

But..But it's so hard! I've been having a really heavy time, keeping a light foot on the a-pedal.

Also in my opinion, 3k may be overdoing it a bit. I'm planning to take it easy till completing about 1000km, not exceeding 2k RPM as far as possible. Cruise control at 95kph works really well for me on the Expressway for this purpose. Once the 1k is up, I think it's all good.

So far I have let her stretch her legs on a couple of occasions, very briefly, and it left me cackling like a maniac so my family's starting to get worried though.

Here's to the time when we finish running in and get to really enjoy the ride!

Cheers,
R_S
roadie_swift is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th June 2019, 11:57   #3494
BHPian

Quote:
My problem with the sound still continues with the boot completely empty. Last option before I visit service station is to remove the boot mat and the cover(wooden) of Stepney and check. It's a very soft sound and not sure if I am being paranoid. 1 to 3 dum dum sound when I apply break approaching a hump and during the course of passing through the hump.
Nothing to worry about. Its the fuel splash sound that comes from the fuel tank which is placed under the seat. Fairly common issue with the Octavia. I still get it in the exact same manner as your described after 55000 km on my car.

Here is the link to some people facing the same issue abroad as well:
https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topi...splash/page/2/

Just volume up when you approach a hump and enjoy the car.

Rohan
RohanDheman is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th June 2019, 18:20   #3495
BHPian

Is Skoda offering an upgrade to the virtual cockpits to cars sold in Sep 2018?

Most Viewed