Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 13th September 2019, 08:24   #3646
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

I have the pre-facelift with the Bi-Xenon projectors and have never seen this. Please ask your friend to immediately take more pictures including the rear of the headlight assembly in the engine compartment.

These assemblies have vent(s) to exhaust the heat when the lights are on but should not be letting mositure like this into the assembly itself. Sometimes the dust caps covering the bulb areas MAY come loose (at least with the Bi-X ones) but it never has in my case. I can imagine one may have worked loose but cannot be for both!

Last edited by itwasntme : 13th September 2019 at 08:25.
itwasntme is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th September 2019, 15:22   #3647
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amartyasg

Has anyone else has this issue?

Regards
Well, metoo!
Mine too is April 2019 bought. It is also black as seems to be your friend's car from the pic.

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-img_0839.jpg

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-img_0840.jpg

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-img_0841.jpg
Deep Blue is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2019, 14:27   #3648
BHPian

Hello Everyone!
I just wanted to let everyone know the incredible mileage that my Masakalli is giving me. On a recent run in Delhi, I got 17.7 kmpl. And this was done in the peak evening hours on Saturday. I think this should set the record straight for all those who say that Octies are guzzlers.

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-octavia-milage.jpg

Last edited by aah78 : 23rd September 2019 at 17:23. Reason: mileage
mathuranuj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th September 2019, 19:02   #3649
Senior - BHPian

I checked Octavia at Mahavir Motors, Hyderabad today. They didn't have any Octavia petrol for test drive. SA promised to send the car for test drive next week. They are offering 90,000 cash discount and 50,000 corporate discount. The company I work for is not in their preferred list. Can I bargain more?

They are offering Skoda Shield which includes 1 year comprehensive insurance, 3 years third-party insurance and extended warranty for 5th and 6th years. They were unwilling to just sell me extended warranty alone without insurance. Is this usual policy across Skoda dealers?

They say Basic accessories package costing 13,999 and is mandatory. I guess they will come down on that. They are charging 10,000 as depot charges. Can I bargain on that?
Old 28th September 2019, 20:53   #3650
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satish_appasani View Post
I checked Octavia at Mahavir Motors, Hyderabad today. They didn't have any Octavia petrol for test drive. SA promised to send the car for test drive next week. They are offering 90,000 cash discount and 50,000 corporate discount. The company I work for is not in their preferred list. Can I bargain more?

They are offering Skoda Shield which includes 1 year comprehensive insurance, 3 years third-party insurance and extended warranty for 5th and 6th years. They were unwilling to just sell me extended warranty alone without insurance. Is this usual policy across Skoda dealers?

They say Basic accessories package costing 13,999 and is mandatory. I guess they will come down on that. They are charging 10,000 as depot charges. Can I bargain on that?

Offer seems good, ditch the mandatory accessories pack, or ask for bifurcation and post back here. Depot charges are subjective but I don't think they'll waive it off. You'll save 10-20K if you buy insurance from outside and you can buy extended warranty at a later date. May be after 6 months? It won't matter, you'll save some money there.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2019, 20:57   #3651
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
BS4 cars will be sold at crazy discounts in Jan-Mar period and you will be able to get really good deals at that time. If you can delay your purchase I would recommend buying in that period. What I have heard from a friend is that the discounts will range from 25-40% on cars that are not fast movers, especially luxury cars as they will need to clear all stocks latest by Mar 31st, 2020.
Behemoth is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th September 2019, 21:13   #3652
BHPian

Quote:

Buddy,

You can drive a hard bargain, "successfully", to more than 1.50 L cash discount easily.

Please don't fall for SA's sales talk and stick to your discout and hunt with other dealers if your current one doesn't agree for your offer.
K.grg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2019, 02:06   #3653
BHPian

Hello guys,

A quick update to solicit your advice on my used Skoda Octavia buying endeavor.

Checked out a 2016 1.8 TSI Style Plus today. Based out of Rohini, Delhi and has 30k on the odo. Mint condition with almost negligible wear and tear. The owner was using this as a daily driver and is selling due to financial crunches.

The car was bought on July 2016 so the factory warranty expires on July 2020. Unfortunately, it is not possible to extend the warranty. According to the owner, there have been no major issues and the car has been serviced thrice at Skoda workshop in Moti Nagar. I was unsure about the Android Auto compatibility because the owner has never used it and I didn't carry a Type C cable, but based on the 2015 Style Plus launch thread, I understand that it should work. The paddle shifters, rear cam etc worked as described.

The owner has quoted 14.2 L.

I would love your suggestions on:

1. Without extended warranty is it worth it? I read that 2016 MY Octys have fewer instances of DSG failure but can't be sure once the factory warranty is over in 6 months. My other option is a new C2 segment sedan like the Verna.

2. What's an ideal price for this car? What's a good point to start negotiating?

3. Planning on getting the car's history checked thru a Skoda dealership. Any pointers on how to do this would be appreciated as this is my used car purchase. Any other key things I should asses or evaluate?

Would be really grateful for your valuable inputs.

Thanks,

Amit
Old 29th September 2019, 08:28   #3654
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Which showroom is this? Mahavir Skoda owns all the 3 showrooms in Hyderabad, so they have a monopoly. This puts customers at a significant disadvantage. However, they have been mostly well behaved with me and have come to my home twice for test drives - 1.4 TSI style and 1.8 TSI L&K. The offer extended was the same as yours though I did not try to negotiate hard as I have not made up my mind yet on the Octavia. They did seem adamant on the accessories and the depot charges though. Problem is - we dont have much options to go to another dealer but no harm in negotiating hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
BS4 cars will be sold at crazy discounts in Jan-Mar period and you will be able to get really good deals at that time. If you can delay your purchase I would recommend buying in that period. What I have heard from a friend is that the discounts will range from 25-40% on cars that are not fast movers, especially luxury cars as they will need to clear all stocks latest by Mar 31st, 2020.
I guess you are correct but manufacturers have already stopped or considerably slowed down production of slow moving vehicles. FOr example, Honda CRV 2WD is not available, they are trying to finish the stock of remaining 4WD vehicles. My understanding is that various companies are in different stages of transition to BS6 but waiting till Q1 2020 might not help. It's possible that we might get some crazy discounts but it might not be the variant/color etc. On the flip side, if most of the BS4 stock is exhausted by end of 2019 and the new BS6 cars are launched, then the prices might increase significantly as discounts will vanish. I think buying a car in the next 1-2 months might be the most prudent decision, if someone really needs a car.
adimicra is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th September 2019, 13:33   #3655

Hi everyone,

Can anyone give me feedback on the Global Motors LLP (new Skoda dealer) in Kolkata?

My brother has booked a Kia Seltos but I'm insisting him to buy the Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI. He is apprehensive because of the infamous Skoda after sales service.

So far after a visit to the showroom almost a month back and a follow up call 3 days back, the dealer hasn't even responded for a test drive or a quotation.

While I am very keen on buying the the Skoda Octavia, my brother has very low patience for such response. (When he bought his first car almost 10 years back, he wanted the Skoda Fabia over newly launched Honda Jazz but he didn't get test drive for 2 weeks. And post his purchase of the car, he used to get calls every week)

A feedback will be very helpful.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 29th September 2019 at 16:29. Reason: Smileys = 2 per post.
Old 29th September 2019, 16:05   #3656
BHPian

Guys, it's now time to change tyres in my Octavia. Micheline 4ST is the preferred choice of friends here. However these tyres are not available at any tyre shop. Even the company does not have any stock of these tyres.

What are other options? I have not been very happy with stock Goodyear tyres.
Old 29th September 2019, 16:30   #3657
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
While the broader statement is very correct, it may not hold good for Skoda and VW. They have both traditionally been satisfied with a full stock-out situation than be caught holding onto inventory (which may be getting obsolete) for whatever reason.

Their production planning is also suspect even without obsolescence thrown in .

Add the fact that the Octavia TSI is in reasonably good demand. I'd suggest not waiting for fire sale on it. If you can get the color you like, then go for it

Last edited by itwasntme : 29th September 2019 at 16:33.
Old 29th September 2019, 16:38   #3658
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rutvij View Post
Guys, it's now time to change tyres in my Octavia. Micheline 4ST is the preferred choice of friends here. However these tyres are not available at any tyre shop. Even the company does not have any stock of these tyres.

What are other options? I have not been very happy with stock Goodyear tyres.
Yes, 4ST is out of stock for long. I just bought a new Octavia and had to change tyres to something other than stock tyres. I eventually found nothing which had good reviews of being a silent tyre other than 4ST (which I was convinced of already, because I have 3ST on my GT TSI). Since it was a new car and I was determined to change, I ended up not investing much and took MRF Perfinza. Perfinza are not as silent as the 3ST, but seem reasonably smooth and comfortable to ride, at this price, they might just be the best tyres designed for India. (disclaimer: I've only driven 500 kms so far!).

BTW: Michelin dealer said, 4ST might come back in stock by mid October.
Old 29th September 2019, 19:33   #3659
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamitp View Post
Hello guys,

The owner has quoted 14.2 L.

I would love your suggestions on:

1. Without extended warranty is it worth it? I read that 2016 MY Octys have fewer instances of DSG failure but can't be sure once the factory warranty is over in 6 months. My other option is a new C2 segment sedan like the Verna.

Would be really grateful for your valuable inputs.

Thanks,

Amit
Hey Amit,

Buddy if I were in your place, I wouldn't buy a pre-owned Skoda without warranty. Trust me it is a fantastic car, which I say because I own 1.8 TSI L&K.

But the service costs (not the regular periodic ones), will set you burn a hole in your pocket.

Take a call on that after giving it a deep thought Bro.
K.grg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2019, 22:18   #3660
BHPian

Thanks bro, you make good sense.

The most prudent thing to do at this point is to wait for a September 2016 onwards Octavia 1.8 TSI to be put up for sale in Delhi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.grg View Post
Hey Amit,

Buddy if I were in your place, I wouldn't buy a pre-owned Skoda without warranty. Trust me it is a fantastic car, which I say because I own 1.8 TSI L&K.

But the service costs (not the regular periodic ones), will set you burn a hole in your pocket.

Take a call on that after giving it a deep thought Bro.

Most Viewed