Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 26th October 2019, 15:20   #3781
BHPian

re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartographer View Post
Hello all,

Is there a run in period, as in do I have to keep the engine below 2000 rpm? It’s actually difficult to keep it below 2000 rpm.

Once again, I thank you all. I am very happy and it’s a beautiful car.

Best,
Prem
Congratulations!

Skoda service folks say that run in should be 2.5 - 3k kms. However, online Skoda forums claim it to be 1000 miles or 1600 kms.
1. You need to keep rpm under 4k but vary it often
2. Do not use cruise control coz it runs at same rom for long time
3. Try not to use sports mode. You will be tempted to floor it and cross 4k rpm
Lambydude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2019, 19:00   #3782

Thanks for all the help folks, have been an avid follower of this thread and was waiting for my chance to own an Octavia. I have also booked an Octavia L&K 1.8 in Magic Black, on October 17th.

The dealer said that Magic Black is not available until November and would confirm the date of delivery only in the first week of November. Eagerly waiting to get my hands on the car as soon as possible.

I have been prepping up in the meantime going through detailing shops to check out PPF / ceramaic coat options for the future car.
Old 28th October 2019, 13:44   #3783
Senior - BHPian

When I checked with Mahaveer motors, the lone Skoda dealer in AP & Telangana, the SA mentioned that extended warranty can only bought along with Skoda Shield plan which also includes first year comprehensive insurance + 3 years 3rd party insurance. I cannot get the insurance from elsewhere and buy extended warranty from Skoda.

Is that normal across all Skoda dealers? Or is the dealer trying to take customers for a ride?
Old 28th October 2019, 15:28   #3784
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satish_appasani View Post

Is that normal across all Skoda dealers? Or is the dealer trying to take customers for a ride?
That is true. Both dealers in Delhi had the same condition.
SLK is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2019, 17:28   #3785
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartographer View Post
Is there a run in period, as in do I have to keep the engine below 2000 rpm? It’s actually difficult to keep it below 2000 rpm.
This is what the car manual reads:

Quote:
Run in engine
During the first 1,500 km, the driving manner determines the quality of the
running in process on a new engine.

During the first 1,000 km, the engine should not be charged with more than
3/4 of the maximum permitted engine revs and without the trailer.

In the area of 1,000 to 1,500 kilometres, the engine load can be increased up to the maximum permitted engine speed.
PS: I got this information only later, therefore the back to back posts.
Old 29th October 2019, 17:53   #3786
BHPian

Have a query on a warning light on my Octavia TSI.

In the accessory mode (single press of start switch), EPC light keeps glowing. However, it goes off when vehicle is started ( ignition ON). Is this normal?

Have attached the pic for reference.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-img_20191029_174155.jpg  

Lambydude is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th October 2019, 21:26   #3787
Senior - BHPian

If it goes off after the engine is turned on, nothing to worry about. You would probably be getting that flashing airbag light that stays on for about 15 seconds since ignition even if you start moving but it goes off. Normally any error is supported by a message on the MID. So keep an eye out for that.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th October 2019, 12:01   #3788

Hi Folks,

Is there any way we can contact Skoda India, to confirm if the dealer is telling the truth? I have booked an Octavia L&K 1.8 AT in black on October 19th from Mahaveer Skoda, at the time of booking they said that Magic black color is not available in October and I have to wait till first week of November for confirmation of the order. Now when I have called them they are saying that the color has been discontinued.

How do we check if the dealer is trying to pull a trick here, and trying to sell a different color in the context that the specific color is discontinued?

Unfortunately Skoda has only one dealer in Hyderabad and moving to a different dealer is not possible. I am contemplating of writing to Skoda India, but would not like to escalate if there is any truth in what the SA is telling about the availability.

Please advise.
Old 30th October 2019, 15:33   #3789
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 773.raviteja View Post
Hi Folks,

Is there any way we can contact Skoda India, to confirm if the dealer is telling the truth? I have booked an Octavia L&K 1.8 AT in black on October 19th from Mahaveer Skoda, at the time of booking they said that Magic black color is not available in October and I have to wait till first week of November for confirmation of the order. Now when I have called them they are saying that the color has been discontinued.

How do we check if the dealer is trying to pull a trick here, and trying to sell a different color in the context that the specific color is discontinued?

Unfortunately Skoda has only one dealer in Hyderabad and moving to a different dealer is not possible. I am contemplating of writing to Skoda India, but would not like to escalate if there is any truth in what the SA is telling about the availability.

Please advise.
Why dont you try calling dealers in other cities to check if the colour is still available? Their numbers will be easily available on Google.
Pancham is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2019, 17:20   #3790
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 773.raviteja View Post
Hi Folks,

Now when I have called them they are saying that the color has been discontinued.

Please advise.
This happened with me back in March. Sales advisor from one dealer in Bangalore, without batting an eyelid, lied that magic black does not come in Style variant. I had already got a confirmation from another dealer and i mentioned that to him. He did a drama of calling someone in the factory and then told me it is available.

So check with another dealer within the city and other cities/ state.
Lambydude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2019, 17:39   #3791

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambydude View Post
This happened with me back in March. Sales advisor from one dealer in Bangalore, without batting an eyelid, lied that magic black does not come in Style variant. I had already got a confirmation from another dealer and i mentioned that to him. He did a drama of calling someone in the factory and then told me it is available.

So check with another dealer within the city and other cities/ state.

Thanks Lambydude, Pacham.

With your advise checked with TAFE Access showroom , and he said that the variant is indeed available. When I confronted my SA at the local dealer with this information, he was still adamant about the unavailability.

On top of it when I insisted that I talk to his superior, whom I have met while booking the car, he said that he has left the dealership and made me speak with another person who has replaced him.

This new guy has requested me to wait for two days, when he will get new inventory list from the factory, and he can then confirm if the car is available in black.

I am not sure if I have to wait now or cancel the booking and redo the entire negotiation process again with some other dealer. :(
Old 31st October 2019, 10:42   #3792
BHPian

Hi,
I have finally booked the Octavia Onyx 1.8 TSI and delivery is expected before 10th November.

I would like to thank everyone for the support and guidance which helped me to arrive at a final decision.

Octavia has been the car I always looked forward to own whenever the thoughts of upgrading to a new car came to my mind. I still remember spotting a red Octavia parked in front of Hotel Abad Plaza in M G Road, Kochi, back in 2001. The aerodynamic design of the car, especially the C pillar looked very impressive and it reminded me of the design of an aircraft where the fin joins its fuselage (main body). The budget was the only constraint so far and now somehow we managed it.

Thanks and Regards,

Sumesh
Sumesh_Jazz is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st October 2019, 13:03   #3793
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumesh_Jazz View Post
Hi,
I have finally booked the Octavia Onyx 1.8 TSI and delivery is expected before 10th November.
Congratulations Sumesh! The Octavia 1.8 TSI is definitely a fine choice. Wish you many many miles with your new beauty. Which shade did you go for? Please do share the pictures once you get the delivery for all of us to drool over!

If you do not mind, would you be able to share the discounts you got on the Onyx variant? I am still contemplating one (though in Bangalore) and wanted to understand what should I target at considering the outgoing model and BS4 engine.
I am honestly confused if to take the leap on Onyx (simply cant afford the L&K) or should I wait for the new generation. I love the Onyx colors and its black interiors! Though Honda Civic is still their in my consideration, but then I can clearly wait for the Civic to be available in the BS6 guise.
vickyP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st October 2019, 14:41   #3794
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vickyP View Post
Congratulations Sumesh! The Octavia 1.8 TSI is definitely a fine choice.
Thank you Vicky.

I am only happy and excited to share the details. I opted for the Race Blue colour of Onyx. This colour was available at the showroom on display and I liked it the most among the available options in Onyx, looked really sporty and aggressive. Also the black interiors add to the sporty feel. With the flat bottom steering wheel and blackened alloys it looks and feels really stunning and makes it a very hard to resist option.

The on-road price for me came to 22 Lakhs. The price reduction/discount included corporate discount for 50k and some discount in insurance amount. Instead of the Drive Assure Package Elite, I have opted for the Drive Assure Package Economy in which I miss the cover for alloy wheels and 'back to invoice option' in case of total loss which the Elite pack offers. I did not opt for the extended warranty for 5th and 6th year (Skoda Shield) as well as the 4 year annual maintenance package to reduce the initial cost. I stay in the suburb and hence saved ~32k on Municipal Tax as well.

Can anyone advise me on the option for 5th and 6th year extended warranty as well as the Annual Maintenance Package? Is it advisable not to go for these now to avoid the initial cost?

I will be sharing the pics once I take delivery of the car.

Thanks and Regards,

Sumesh

Last edited by ajmat : 31st October 2019 at 15:33. Reason: fixed quote
Sumesh_Jazz is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st October 2019, 14:49   #3795
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vickyP View Post
I am honestly confused if to take the leap on Onyx (simply cant afford the L&K) or should I wait for the new generation. I love the Onyx colors and its black interiors!
Come November 11, 2019 and you will see the new Octavia getting unveiled. I would suggest at least wait till then. Normally as is the case, after the facelift or new gen model is unveiled, current kits will be further discounted and possibly more features added to Style / Onyx trims to get the remaining cars off stock. Patience is key, my friend. I've waited 6 years to upgrade, and excited as to what Skoda has in store for us with the Octy-4.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed